Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

Crossposting from the recommendation thread:

Can anyone recommend a PS4 game for my wife. She's looking for a relaxing, chill experience. She's PMSing right now, so she doesn't want to think that much about anything and wants to just mindlessly enjoy a game. Some of her favorite games are Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing - so something preferably cute and chill. She was looking into Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles, but apparently that game is incredibly shallow/boring?

DRAGON

QUEST

BUILDERS

It's minecraft with a story and cute villagers that are really well written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I've got a launch PS4 and a Pro on the way. I want to keep them both.

Can I be stay logged in to both consoles or do I need to pick one at a time?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dunno but you can make sub accounts i think

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Doomsayer posted:

Is Mirror's Edge: Catalyst worth picking up for $10 in the flash sale? I really liked the first one, but I heard mixed things about 2 and stopped paying attention to it since I was broke. Now I'm still broke but $10 might be doable :v:

I've heard its okay. Not as good as the first due to some unneeded changes to make it more open worldish, but not a disaster. At least i think thats roughly the general opinion.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Attitude Indicator posted:

I've heard its okay. Not as good as the first due to some unneeded changes to make it more open worldish, but not a disaster. At least i think thats roughly the general opinion.

That's a bummer, I really just wanted more human racetracks :(

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Doomsayer posted:

Is Mirror's Edge: Catalyst worth picking up for $10 in the flash sale? I really liked the first one, but I heard mixed things about 2 and stopped paying attention to it since I was broke. Now I'm still broke but $10 might be doable :v:

I would wait until it's even less. It's ok I guess but I played it on EA access on xbone and even then I didn't play very much of it. It's style is still great, I love the sterileness of the environment which makes the red pointing you in the right direction pop. I just think the fact that it's open world kinda kills it. Some of the missions which are set in a smaller environments are cool but the amount of running around the open world gets pretty tedious. It's a shame because there's a lot of potential in the game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

an actual dog posted:

DRAGON

QUEST

BUILDERS

It's minecraft with a story and cute villagers that are really well written.

She actually already played that. :P

Akuma posted:

Raids ARE endgame content. If you had people to raid with you were in a minority of players.

I tried the raids in Destiny 1 and they all.... kinda sucked and were unfun. But I say this as someone who has played MMOs regularly for over a decade. The Destiny raids felt... lovely. They were way too long and filled with too many "someone sneezed in the wrong direction, everyone dies now" mechanics.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
No idea where to post this, but please help me out!

I have a ps4 controller, but the 'up' and 'right' buttons on the d-pad won't work. They used to, but now they don't. I took it apart to see if there was dust or anything, but the thing is as clean as a whistle. I've no idea what to do.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Krime posted:

I've got a launch PS4 and a Pro on the way. I want to keep them both.

Can I be stay logged in to both consoles or do I need to pick one at a time?
Only one at a time. But if you were logged into console A, then turned it off and logged into console B that's fine, you can have all your games on both but one will need to be set as your primary console. Anyone can use content on your primary console and don't need to have PS+ if you have it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Is there an explanation why my PS4 hasn't been able to log into the PS Store for the past couple of days? I can't get past "Please Wait", and i've tried all the tricks the internet has provided (restore default settings, sign out/set up connection again, etc).

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
You can only have one primary console on your account, and you can only be logged into one console at any time. If you log in as someone who is already logged in, it automatically and with no verification logs them out wherever they were logged in (I once accidentally shut down a friend's stream doing this). One console can be the primary console for multiple accounts, I don't know that there's a limit to how many consoles your account can also be on as a secondary but I wouldn't try to test it. But if you have two consoles, and you're never trying to use both at the same time, and only have one account, and all your content belongs to that one account you're fine.

As said above, if you're a secondary account on someone else's primary console you can use their games and DLC. So if a friend at my house wants to try Rocket League, I can sign them in on my primary console and they can play it there as if they owned it, with access to any DLC I have downloaded. The license is on that console so it's valid. I can also go round to their house and sign in on their console, which is not my primary console, where I can then download and play Rocket League with all my DLC because the license is attached to my account. It's all fine until he tries to play it on his console: Even though I can install it on his console, he can't subsequently play the game unless he's using my account. Neither his console nor his account have a valid license.

If you're just playing your games, you'll be fine but the primary console system is a bit weird if you have multiple consoles and multiple accounts... Let's say as a household, you have siblings or flatmates or whoever. You have two people who shared one console but now each have their own. All the content is split between two accounts, and you might think that if you both want to continue using all that content then the best thing to do would be to have your own console be your primary console. This is wrong: You want the other person's console to be your primary console. That way, you get to use all your content and all the content on their primary console, and you avoid buying every game you own a second time. And the same goes for them. It's best if you only use your own consoles, because then you don't get locked out of their content on their machine and everything mostly works except for Horizons DLC on Elite Dangerous. As a downside, your secondary account status means you don't sync automatically, you don't constantly update your cloud saves, but hey you can do that poo poo manually and it's not that big a deal.

This is a lot of words that nobody really asked for, so I'm sorry if nobody cares about this daft but totally explicable system quirk.

Argento
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies, I'm back
Lipstick Apathy

Policenaut posted:

Well I didn't expect this. Taiko Drum Master is getting an English release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWi_jEv1sK4

And the PS4 version even has an optional bundle that comes with the drum and the sticks. Thanks Bamco!

Thanks for the info. I knew these :10bux: would be worth it one day.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Is Dragon Age Inquisition good? I'm thinking about getting the $10 base version and not the $20 GOTY version. I wanted to like DAO, but I didn't... but I do like multi character actiony RPGs like FFXII.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its mediocre

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah and also as the lord of a castle all your character can wear while there is a brown bodysuit. I had no idea what the gently caress about that the entire time I was playing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's a solid game and worth more than $10, but if you didn't like origins then idk that you'll like this one either

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah and also as the lord of a castle all your character can wear while there is a brown bodysuit. I had no idea what the gently caress about that the entire time I was playing.

They actually added new castle outfits later that are varying levels of ridiculous. Really spices up the romance scene with Cuillen...I assume

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How's Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles?

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

anothergod posted:

Is Dragon Age Inquisition good? I'm thinking about getting the $10 base version and not the $20 GOTY version. I wanted to like DAO, but I didn't... but I do like multi character actiony RPGs like FFXII.

I enjoyed the game, I just stuck to actual quests, fighting dragons, storming keeps, etc. I would probably get the DLC though since the last one is the epilogue.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

...! posted:

I'm kind of surprised that SSDs would give a noticeable performance boost on the PS4. They are a waste of money on the PS3; the system has to constantly encrypt/decrypt the internal storage, which creates a huge bottleneck and effectively slows SSDs down to HDD speeds. I would have thought it'd be the same for the PS4.

Loading times aren't everything: It did make a huge difference in random access with the PS3. The PSN version of GTA V was pop-up central on the old lady when played from a HDD, but played perfectly smooth from an SSD.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

RatHat posted:

How's Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles?

My wife feels it is an incredibly shallow experience. My mom seems to love it though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

anothergod posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of Origins either but I did like Inquisition. The storyline is interesting, it looks pretty, and I enjoyed spending time with most of the characters. The combat plays out more like a single-person MMO than its predecessors, where you mostly can sit back controlling one character while all your party members more or less do their own thing without as much babysitting as the original Dragon Age. The main thing people will tell you about the game is that there is a LOT of open-world content, much of it filler, and unless you're just really enjoying the world you should work to advance the main questline instead of trying to 100% everything. It's the kind of game where you have to clean out everything in your backlog for a few weeks in order to push through.

I would get the GOTY edition on sale if I could because it comes with 3 fairly hefty DLCs, including Trespasser which is basically a 3-hour epilogue to your adventures and some combat/item rebalancing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

anothergod posted:

I felt like it was less than the sum of its parts. Lots of stuff but everything was boring and meaningless - an inch deep and a mile wide. And the story was bad and made no sense.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

anothergod posted:

No it sucks

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Sonuvabitch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwdiqFa-520

tl;dr L1+D-pad to change 2x and 4x fast forward without entering the config menu.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

anothergod posted:

I liked it a lot, but the beginning feels very slow, and it doesn't tell you to steer clear of one of the main areas where you can waste a lot of time running around without advancing the plot.

I can't remember the name, but people in the original thread literally put "get out of x" in the title. Someone else will remember it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The hinterlands.

Its the first big open world area. The game just doesn't sign post when you can move on.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Inquisition is a good game. Just don't try to 100% it, that will make you want to kill yourself. It's worth getting the GOTY version, the DLCs are really good as well.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
I'm new to PS4, and there doesn't seem to be a way to preview dynamic themes like you could on PS3, and searching the store is a pain in the arse anyway, so: anyone care to recommend some nice, high-res dynamic themes -- not game-themed ones, just like environmental, space, whatever?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Flopstick posted:

I'm new to PS4, and there doesn't seem to be a way to preview dynamic themes like you could on PS3, and searching the store is a pain in the arse anyway, so: anyone care to recommend some nice, high-res dynamic themes -- not game-themed ones, just like environmental, space, whatever?
The "tradition" is that someone uploads a YouTube video of all the themes.

The Firewatch theme is a great place to start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85VWT9myzkQ

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Aha, I'll check YT! That looks good, cheers.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Flopstick posted:

Uncharted Shipwreck Theme is another good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q7n4eatadY

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'd go through my themes to recommend you some more, but there's literally no way to view the filters you've bought or used short of going through my entire 57-page purchase history or searching Gmail.

PSN is such a mess, and it took like 20 seconds to just load store.playstation.com.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It sickens me that the first response to a theme recommendation question isn't Corn Love.

You degenerates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v2HIbvMEz4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Undertale theme is pretty much the opposite of high-res but it's nice enough if you were going for the preorder anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paRr8myqtUk

The Transistor theme was also decent, though the music becomes a little much if you idle for too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9IkEJxk7b4

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
There's only one theme you need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IHVkWKVLw4

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Montalvo posted:

It sickens me that the first response to a theme recommendation question isn't Corn Love.

You degenerates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v2HIbvMEz4
A lot of themes aren't available in the EU, so you can only begin to imagine our frustration with the different treatment we get. :smith:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not dynamic but I love Everybody's Golf theme.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wouldn't call them good but the various skeleton dance themes are pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGGVmecOpO4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
(sorry for breaking up theme chat. I'm boring and have just been using Destiny 2 dynamic theme I got for preordering)

Has anyone gotten the bug where it just keeps asking you to link your PS account to Youtube when you try to upload a video over and over again?

- Select upload video
- Select youtube
- Get asked to link accounts
- Link Account

Then it kicks you back to choose which service to upload to and it loops back and starts all over again asking to link accounts.