Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I want regulation on clips that contain more that 4 lasers for reloading laser guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

bird cooch posted:

It cost me a couple hundred bucks for the bullet train in Japan when I go and it's pretty full. Jam packed during the holidays.

I don't remember what the train costs in Korea, but I remember it wasn't free and had plenty people on it.

It costs ~$150 to spend 2 hours travelling 100 miles between Bristol and London, for perspective.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

bird cooch posted:

Tesla is awesome
SpaceX is awesome

If someone is willing to try and develope a new type of mass transit, fuckin good on them. Something has to happen.

Nothing is going to change if people don't try crazy poo poo.

It cost me a couple hundred bucks for the bullet train in Japan when I go and it's pretty full. Jam packed during the holidays.

I don't remember what the train costs in Korea, but I remember it wasn't free and had plenty people on it.

But public transportation rules.

I usually take a 47 minute trip and it's 18,900₩.

I think if you go from Seoul to Busan it's like 60,000ish ₩

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The reason silicon valley types like Musk are unpopular here is because they keep trying to find technological solutions for problems that are actually caused by social issues, so they keep failing.

This is an idea that needs fleshing out, a whole thread could be made about it, but lets use the hyperloop as an example. The reason we don't have nice mass transit in the US is not because the right tech like the hyperloop hasn't come along yet. It's because we don't have a unified system, the city, state, and federal governments can't agree on anything, and because our whole society has an individualistic gently caress you got mine mentality where nobody wants to pay taxes and contribute to the public good. If the bureaucracy was streamlined, if corporations and their bought senators would stop loving with government programs, and if the whole thing was funded right, there is no reason why amtrack and a robust subway system in midsized and large cities could not serve us just fine. However, those problems with our society would be incredibly hard to solve, so Musk would rather just start over. If Musk did manage to get the hyperloop built, there is no reason to think that after a few years, corruption, legislative attacks by the lobbyist of competing interests, and chronic underfunding would not turn it into a poo poo show just like the current mass transit systems in the US.

When your Honda accord breaks down because you never changed the oil or did any maintance, the solution is not to go out and buy a Porsche so you can gently caress it up too.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 23, 2017

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Exactly the kind of derail you'd expect from people posting on saturday night

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

The reason silicon valley types like Musk are unpopular here is because they keep trying to find technological solutions for problems that are actually caused by social issues, so they keep failing.

This is how I always feel about silicon valley types.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The fact that SpaceX has developed such a close relationship with NASA that the national space program relies on this one dude's company does not really feel great

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You have a very poor understanding of the state of NASA, the national space program, Space X, and the other players in aerospace.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

The fact that SpaceX has developed such a close relationship with NASA that the national space program relies on this one dude's company does not really feel great

Eh, they can always keep throwing money at ULA. There's enough to go around.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

This is an idea that needs fleshing out, a whole thread could be made about it, but lets use the hyperloop as an example. The reason we don't have nice mass transit in the US is not because the right tech like the hyperloop hasn't come along yet. It's because we don't have a unified system, the city, state, and federal governments can't agree on anything, and because our whole society has an individualistic gently caress you got mine mentality where nobody wants to pay taxes and contribute to the public good. If the bureaucracy was streamlined, if corporations and their bought senators would stop loving with government programs, and if the whole thing was funded right, there is no reason why amtrack and a robust subway system in midsized and large cities could not serve us just fine. However, those problems with our society would be incredibly hard to solve, so Musk would rather just start over. If Musk did manage to get the hyperloop built, there is no reason to think that after a few years, corruption, legislative attacks by the lobbyist of competing interests, and chronic underfunding would not turn it into a poo poo show just like the current mass transit systems in the US.

When your Honda accord breaks down because you never changed the oil or did any maintance, the solution is not to go out and buy a Porsche so you can gently caress it up too.

elon musk is not responsible for correcting the hosed attitude of the US populous, and if you waited until people had the correct attitude before you permitted new technology we'd be arguing via smoke signals

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 23, 2017

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I am so lost. How are these things bad?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
" Elon Musk is going to invent alternate reality glasses that make everyone look white to everyone else and that will solve all race problems in the World" - Some Idiot

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
So!

Trump, huh!?

Pfft.

What's up with that?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

awesmoe posted:

elon musk is not responsible for correcting the hosed attitude of the US populous, and if you waited until people had the correct attitude before you permitted new technology we'd be arguing via smoke signals

Indeed the hyper wealthy have no responsibility for correcting the world they used to rise to power. Some people disagree with you that this is a good thing.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

bird cooch posted:

If someone is willing to try and develope a new type of mass transit, fuckin good on them. Something has to happen.

Nothing is going to change if people don't try crazy poo poo.
The point is that the hyperloop will be a mass transit system in the same way a Learjet is.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

awesmoe posted:

The only way technology could benefit us now is if someone created a crowd source app that people could use to sign up for kicking you in the head every minute of the day so you stop posting.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If we could come up with a really convincing fake robot girlfriend many of the world's problems would vanish into thin air
e: maybe all of them :shrug:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Malachi Constant posted:

So!

Trump, huh!?

Pfft.

What's up with that?

We're trying to talk Biden into getting on board changing the name of AMTRAK to Trump so we can see if that gets us anywhere other than just gaudy as gently caress trains. It's a steep price, but worth it for a national high speed rail system.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Bottom Liner posted:

You have a very poor understanding of the state of NASA, the national space program, Space X, and the other players in aerospace.

yeah true

either way, I don't hate Musk because he's doing something good in advancing space exploration. I think it would be a lot better if he put that money to more purely philanthropic ends but what can you do. It's just depressing as a person who grew up hearing about the amazing technical accomplishments the US government was able to achieve that we have to look to billionaires for actual innovation, and deal with thousands of silicon valley schmucks who make worthless startups and then try to sell it as innovation

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Honestly any article about startups that doesn't start by talking poo poo about Uber should not be taken seriously.

There's a difference between the general concept of ride sharing and Uber the company and its investors. It's not clear from the article that the author acknowledges this. It diminishes the quality of the article from the start.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Casey Finnigan posted:

NASA doesn't "depend" on SpaceX you idiot.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Imagine for a second we all lived under President Joe Biden.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

The point is that the hyperloop will be a mass transit system in the same way a Learjet is.

Like.....the aeroplane?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Covok posted:

Imagine for a second we all lived under President Joe Biden.

How blissfully ignorant of this hellscape bubble universe that exists right beside ours we would be...

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

i am harry posted:

How blissfully ignorant of this hellscape bubble universe that exists right beside ours we would be...

I think we're basically in a simulation like Sim City 3000; Donald Trump and the poo poo that happens every single day is some kid typing in the mega-disaster cheat code over and over again.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Aves Maria! posted:

it's a new delivery system that will not only get your packages to you in hours but also blow up your house in the process

Experimental logistics artillery. The time is now, children are our future.

Reverand maynard posted:

laser weapons only have a two second reload and it takes a long time for the crystals to burn out. Also as long as you armor tank you should have enough slots to fit extra capacitor batteries to power your weapon system. The big downside as you're damage locked to em/thermal

So much time sunk into that game smh.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
edit: I made a stupid post here but reconsidered

we've had no dogs for a while so here's some from imgur:

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 23, 2017

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

yeah true

either way, I don't hate Musk because he's doing something good in advancing space exploration. I think it would be a lot better if he put that money to more purely philanthropic ends but what can you do. It's just depressing as a person who grew up hearing about the amazing technical accomplishments the US government was able to achieve that we have to look to billionaires for actual innovation, and deal with thousands of silicon valley schmucks who make worthless startups and then try to sell it as innovation

Someone who knows more about this than me can probably correct me, but NASA's relationship with Space X doesn't seem all that unique. For example, they launched a shitload of equipment over the years on Delta II rockets, which were designed by McDonnell Douglas, not by NASA. NASA has always contacted out a bunch of its work.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
elon musk desperately needs to be shoved in a locker, hth

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Acid Haze posted:

I think we're basically in a simulation like Sim City 3000; Donald Trump and the poo poo that happens every single day is some kid typing in the mega-disaster cheat code over and over again.

This is, without a doubt, the most rational and acceptable explanation, and one I have been sure is true for some time now.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

If we could come up with a really convincing fake robot girlfriend many of the world's problems would vanish into thin air
e: maybe all of them :shrug:

MGTOW are always wrong.

Reminder about the new lows the Reddit nerds have gone to, they want to implant dog brains into women.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

don't worry, trump won't forget the incels that put him in office. right?!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
how much longer until the nation is ready for its first incel president?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

how much longer until the nation is ready for its first incel president?

we already had james buchanan

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Low Desert Punk posted:

we already had james buchanan

Oh he definitely wasn't celibate ;) :gay:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
MGTOW are extremely homophobic and morally inept.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So when the Boomers die out, is future Fox News going to be talking about the Ghostbusters remake and Anita Sarkeesian the same way current Fox News talks about Roe V Wade and the New Deal?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Capitalism in 1914 differs significantly from capitalism in 2017.

Its one of the reasons the nuclear deal with Iran was so important. They’re much less likely to support stupid poo poo if they have some skin in the global economic game.
This is also literally part of the argument made prior to WWI---economic interconnectedness in 1914 is different from economic interconnectedness in prior eras. No doubt the cognoscenti of the County of Flanders in 1339 were making similar arguments about the wool trade making war with England an impossibility.

It's also worth pointing out that the argument presented in The Great Illusion isn't that economic relations make it impossible for conflict to occur (although many people used the same logic to argue for that conclusion), but only that such relations made war something that was in nobody's best interest. Which, as subsequent events illustrated with ghastly clarity, was both true and irrelevant.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hollismason posted:

" Elon Musk is going to invent alternate reality glasses that make everyone look white to everyone else and that will solve all race problems in the World" - Some Idiot

That would be stupid.

The glasses make everyone look the same color as the wearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Azhais posted:

That would be stupid.

The glasses make everyone look the same color as the wearer.

Games aren't fun without an antagonist.

• Locked thread