Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, it's the first time they hinted at him trying to pull himself out of Dougie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I lost always sunny but gained 2 peaks

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, it's the first time they hinted at him trying to pull himself out of Dougie.

I'm not trying to attack you, but I keep seeing people in this thread refer to Dale in this way.

Dale Cooper is not Dougie in any way. Dougie was pulled into the lodge completely. Dale arrived in the same place, moments afterward. But they are two separate entities. There is no escaping, transforming, or pulling out of Dougie going on. Dale Cooper is just trying to wake up, or become whole again.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, but it's easier to refer to him as Dougie atm while everyone else around him does.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Apple Craft posted:

I'm not trying to attack you, but I keep seeing people in this thread refer to Dale in this way.

Dale Cooper is not Dougie in any way. Dougie was pulled into the lodge completely. Dale arrived in the same place, moments afterward. But they are two separate entities. There is no escaping, transforming, or pulling out of Dougie going on. Dale Cooper is just trying to wake up, or become whole again.

*pointing to self* dougie jones

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH2pXBy3luY&t=1739s

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

I'm pretty sure Major Brigg's farts would make me hate him, too.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Holy poo poo, this is some extreme pedantry. Yes, everyone knows Coop isn't Dougie. You know exactly what people mean when they say that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Apple Craft posted:

I'm pretty sure Major Brigg's farts would make me hate him, too.

i hope he was farting up a shitstorm in the diner scene with bobby.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

...! posted:

Holy poo poo, this is some extreme pedantry. Yes, everyone knows Coop isn't Dougie. You know exactly what people mean when they say that.

I have seen some people in other forums making fun of people calling him Cooper instead of Dougie. There are quite literally people who have no idea that it's Cooper.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Dougie's hair isn't up to S1.

There better be a hair montage...

http://i.imgur.com/xJTl7lY.gifv

...when Cooper comes back.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just need to take a moment to appreciate your appreciation of Sharon Needles.

Thx.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

TheMaestroso posted:

If she were, I think she would look like the two addicts from Part 9 or Becky's husband.

I mean not necessarily, there are plenty of people who do heroin or crystal meth that look totally normal.

edit: gotta stop reading threads backwards.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hey, if it's appropriate for any thread, it's this one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Continuing my thoughts while rewatching, I wanna express my disappointment that the situation with Steven and Shelly's daughter ended up being a "history repeats itself" kind of thing. I really liked the first impression we got of their relationship, where it presented him as being pretty obviously bad for her but they were trying to make it work regardless. The abuse angle really wasn't necessary imo.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

CJacobs posted:

Continuing my thoughts while rewatching, I wanna express my disappointment that the situation with Steven and Shelly's daughter ended up being a "history repeats itself" kind of thing. I really liked the first impression we got of their relationship, where it presented him as being pretty obviously bad for her but they were trying to make it work regardless. The abuse angle really wasn't necessary imo.
I find it hard to have any opinion on them, since we've seen them for about 4 minutes total out of 10 hours. Obviously that trailer scene was supposed to be traumatic, but for the first half I was thinking "Is that Shelly's daughter and boyfriend? It kinda looks like them. What was their names again? Are they married?" It would have been nice to have seen a little more of them before this so I could care about them a bit more.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I thought the trailer scene was two completely different people

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CJacobs posted:

I feel just the same way which suggests to me this is exactly what Lynch was going for. At first you think okay, their relationship isn't on a firm footing but at least they like each other. Then you think gee, she is having a little too much fun doing drugs and looking at the sky, bit eerie. Then you realize that their lovely situation makes their relationship completely untenable and they are both on the edge of freaking the gently caress out, and the boyfriend has just about fallen off. It's a way of setting up scenes that allows you to participate in the denial of the characters that anything is wrong.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it really worked well as the grim reality compared to the drug-induced false bliss we saw before.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Wait, who the hell is Steven? When did we see him?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Alan_Shore posted:

Wait, who the hell is Steven? When did we see him?

Becky's boyfriend (husband?), the ginger who can't get a job.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

have we seen james at all since the always cool scene

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i hope thats his only scene

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bet James and Bobby are best bros now

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
James gets episode 18, obviously

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fbsA-jbc2s

I was rewatching Season 2 episode 9 and this whole scene man is spooky as hell

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
So Im not the only one in this thread thats realized the las vegas / dougie plot is a mulholland drivesque dream sequence right?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

skasion posted:

I feel just the same way which suggests to me this is exactly what Lynch was going for. At first you think okay, their relationship isn't on a firm footing but at least they like each other. Then you think gee, she is having a little too much fun doing drugs and looking at the sky, bit eerie. Then you realize that their lovely situation makes their relationship completely untenable and they are both on the edge of freaking the gently caress out, and the boyfriend has just about fallen off. It's a way of setting up scenes that allows you to participate in the denial of the characters that anything is wrong.

I meant that I was disappointed in an outside-the-show way, as in a "this is lazy writing and pretty lame" kinda way. But I can see how one might enjoy it looking at it from that perspective.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

terminal chillness posted:

So Im not the only one in this thread thats realized the las vegas / dougie plot is a mulholland drivesque dream sequence right?
It's been mentioned a few times, I speculated that was the case way back in episode 4, but I actually do not think that is the case now. Jade mailed the key from Las Vegas to the Great Northern and it seemed to get there no problem (I know, 'intercourse between two worlds' may apply, but I took it took be pretty literal).

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Sometimes this show feels like that yeah. Isn't TM all about not repressing "negative" stuff and zealously getting rid of it? The abuse part seems a bit thrown in to make the couple seem bad just for being gently caress ups and using drugs to deal with it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Frankly, I disagree. I don't really see it as "history repeats itself", but more in the sense of... "the evil in Twin Peaks is generational, and will never die", I suppose. I view the town as sort of like Stephen King's Derry in IT, except Twin Peaks has great upsides like fantastic coffee and pie, beautiful waitresses, Nadine's Drape Runner shop, etc.

Anyway, I just see Becky and Steven (those are their names, correct?) as kind of essential, in a way. Lynch keeping his archetypes fresh; underlining the underlying points, if you will. This kind of behavior and these situations really are cyclical in life, and it's tragic and sad. Shelley knows something is wrong, but she does nothing but acquiesce to her daughter's demands for money. But the thing is, THAT is human behavior - that is how people really act. Mothers are very often enabling, and cannot say no to their children all the way to the very end

I thought the scene with Steven screaming at her was drat powerful, and that it felt like a frighteningly realistic glimpse into what is (judging by Carl's "not this poo poo again" reaction) no doubt a scary and terrifying relationship. I just think there's a great deal of truth there with regard to human nature, and human behavior. I hope we see more of them.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm also way into the idea that Seyfried is playing basically a mix of roles Laura and Shelley played in the original seasons.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Steven is a mirror of Leo, but he's also a better character in the 5 minutes of screentime he's had than Leo ever was in two seasons and a movie. I always thought Leo was a mistake of a character, a cartoonish ball of white hot rage with no other motivations or background to speak of. A red herring for the Laura mystery who gets tossed aside for the entire second season. I always felt bad for Eric DaRe, I thought he was a decent actor in a really lovely role.

We have reasons to sympathize with Steven. He's trying to get work, he knows his life is a mess, he has no control over anything. He's like a teenage proto-Leo, which is just way more interesting than a villain that just doesn't struggle with much of anything, then gets sidelined for comic relief for a whole season.

edit: Even Leo's second season comeuppance is wasted by the fact that he doesn't understand what's going on. There's no catharsis in torturing an evil character if they're a vegetable. It would have been such a better arc if he was just quadriplegic but otherwise mentally sound, trapped in a quiet frenzy of rage.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 23, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I'm enjoying over all, but I am getting bored. The nuke episode brought me back but really, over half the season with the main character incapacitated is just getting meh to me at this point. The sex scene was funny, but I would still prefer to have Coop dialogue and a mystery to solve. I'm finding I'm not highly invested in many of the storylines. I will say I'm looking forward to Jack Rabbit's Palace.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If I had one complaint with the show I think it's that to me it feels like it's too spread out. Someone equated it earlier to Lynch keeping a bunch of plates spinning, and going with that metaphor, imo he's trying to spin too many at once and because of that they're all kind of wobbly. I like that there's a lot of plot threads but the main three-ish are moving along so slowly that it feels like the show has virtually no momentum.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
11 seems like a prime episode for flipping some poo poo wide open

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, I enjoy TP week to week, but if we look back at the whole season and "real Dale" ends up only appearing in the last 2-3 episodes, I'll feel like the whole comeback was a large missed opportunity. What story did David Lynch really want to tell with "Dougie" by spending so much time with him?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming we get the cops' trip to Jack Rabbit's Palace tonight which I am SO excited for

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

11 seems like a prime episode for flipping some poo poo wide open
Here's a vaguely non-spoiler that says very little about the comicon ep. 11 screening. Honestly, my expectations for "flipping some poo poo" is pretty low.
-No Andy, Audrey, Laura, Big Ed , Nadine, Jacoby, Ben, Jerry, James or Sarah. -No Evil Cooper, Janey-E, Sonny Jim, Hutch, Chantal or Ray. -We do see Shelly and Bobby in a scene together and find out what happened to them. Divorce makes sense to me. We also see Norma, perhaps as part of this scene. -The Log Lady (!!!), Hawk, Lucy, Gordon, Albert, Becky, Steven, Carl, Candie (and I assume the Mitchums) appear. https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6ot7l3/s3e11_sdcc_screening_discussion_part_11/dkkshi0/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Zmej posted:

-No Audrey

Just end me now, fam.