Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linoge
Aug 11, 2015

derra posted:

You have no way to penetrate his 95% evade. Buildup doubles M, not A, so will still do no damage. High level Samurai crits would be better than Gaia Bell hits, but this is a party I would not consider it possible to TC.

I was worried about that. Thanks for the answer - now I know I can just power through and beat the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Rune Chime would probably work to at least do damage.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

loving ugh.

So, this had an interesting little wrinkle to it. Apparently, Countering breaks !Guard. Meaning that if I just put this on Auto-battle (speeds up animations) and Guard all the time, there is still a way for Ruggy to break through my protection if the ATB stars align for him. Solution: keep the cursor on the WM with Knight's ATB charged, wait for attack + counter, immediately reapply Guard. This means no speeding up the fight through all of this tedium.

A Brave Blade counter (onehanded, ofc, I need the slot) deals round 1k damage as Omniscient is always back row on Mobile. AND Regen works for him. Ughhhhh.

Oh, and of course the death reaction also triggers through berserk so you cannot do this with just one character (outside of Shell/Reflect)...

Anyway, it's done, I killed Rugmaster 3000 with a sword to the face, thanks for the advice guys! Now to reap my true reward: the Kaiser Knuckles.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Simply Simon posted:

Now to reap my true reward: the Kaiser Knuckles.

:barf:

Also you could've dispelled him before you berserked him. :v:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm not sure that would work, he has Protect/Shell/Regen innately. Can you Dispel things like that?

I'm at the Crystals with Monk-Black-Beastmaster-Knight and I'm debating taking the Flame Shield because I'm not sure I can hurt the fire one. None of the HP-crit releases (Maelstrom/Hurricane) are auto-hit, are they? I don't want to take the time to kill the other three, release and hope for a 15-20% hit chance, then reload every single time. And Knight is dying with Galuf so chances are I won't have any shield users anyway.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

OzFactor posted:

I'm not sure that would work, he has Protect/Shell/Regen innately. Can you Dispel things like that?

Sure can. As long as it's not an "always" status, it's dispellable. Compare Rugwizard to Necrophobe's Barriers:

code:
NAME: Omniscient
INITIAL STATUS: Armor, Shell, Regen
code:
NAME: Barrier
INITIAL STATUS: (Always) Wall
This is also why Hermes Sandals are cool and good because it's (Always) Haste, meaning it can't be dispelled (that and the four status immunities).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kyrosiris posted:

That's how it works in all versions, yeah. The thing that makes Omniscient different in mobile is that he can somehow still cast Return while Berserked, whereas in every other version, React: scripts are turned off by Berserk.

I didn't know Berserk no longer broke scripts in the iOS version. Is that specific to the Omniscient fight or does it work for anyone?

Mountaineer posted:

Rune Chime would probably work to at least do damage.

Only if it hits. Which, well, you know.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Simply Simon posted:

loving ugh.

So, this had an interesting little wrinkle to it. Apparently, Countering breaks !Guard.

Woof. I'm almost positive that's new to mobile.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I love how every year, "don't play any version except for FF5A" becomes more and more obvious.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

I didn't know Berserk no longer broke scripts in the iOS version. Is that specific to the Omniscient fight or does it work for anyone?

Well, it's just an assumption, based on that Omni can still Return while Berserked, which he shouldn't be able to.

As for if it hits anything else, :iiam:.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think it's just him, but I can test it. Who else has a counter script that can be Berserked? Omega can't be.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Soup du Jour posted:

I love how every year, "don't play any version except for SNES" becomes more and more obvious.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

OzFactor posted:

I think it's just him, but I can test it. Who else has a counter script that can be Berserked? Omega can't be.

The most obvious one is Apanda, who loses all his counter attacks when berserked in the older versions.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Well, I got my fifth job, and it's Beastmaster again. I would have been happy with literally anything except a dupe. I might give it a job fair reroll but I don't want to risk a dupe again--it's not the money, it's the time it takes for it to run. Maybe I'll just RNG myself something and then ask for it specifically.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Note to thread: if you are going to get a fifth job, buy all the spells before leaving W1.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Linoge posted:

Hello Goons,

It's that time of year again where I ask for help Triple Crowning in my Fiesta run.

This year my team is Samurai, White Mage, Geomancer, and Monk (it's a Pure Chaos run).

So I'm pretty sure I've got Shinryu down with Berserk + Blink (the trick will be getting the blinks off before getting murdered by a berserked superboss, but we'll see), but I'm worried about Omega. My research says the Gaia Bell will actually do damage to him (please correct me now if I'm wrong), but barring that I'm hoping a !Focus'ed Chicken Knife will break through his defense. But I'm wondering about shutting down his offense. Am I going to need to power-level to an absurd level to be able to soak his damage, or is the power of White Mage enough that I can soak what he throws at me? If I have to grind, it'll be in real time, so I'm hoping to avoid it.

Any tips you can offer for either of these bosses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I triple crowned with a very similar team (samurai, white mage, thief and monk) but only because I was on emulator. I needed to abuse save states as he has moves that will just flat out kill you if used and they will be used in what is a very long drawn out battle.

I was level 58 and it was rough going even when using save states to change his algorithm up. Your only sources of damage are bare-handed or katana crits. I berserked my monk and my samurai to pump up damage output, but you just miss all the time. I can't even imagine what level you'd have to be to do that legit without save states.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

:barf:

Also you could've dispelled him before you berserked him. :v:
gently caress me, I didn't know that he had these innate statuses AND I keep forgetting how much White Mage can actually do.

Oh well, lesson learned for next time. This way, I might have just been able to push him into a phase more friendly to reflecting things back at him with the Lamp alone...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OzFactor posted:

oh my god it's finally time to use the best script in the game

BERSERK MINOTAUR AND THEN THROW AN ASSASSIN DAGGER AT HIM

...because he reacts by killing himself:
code:
React:Item:Assassin Dagger{
     No Clue
     }
(This is not a joke! We discussed it on the discord just over a month ago and it may even already be posted in this very thread)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 21, 2017

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

What a terrible waste of an Assassin Dagger :psyduck:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

OzFactor posted:

Note to thread: if you are going to get a fifth job, buy all the spells before leaving W1.

Also get the bard songs. That got me last year with upgrade.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Journey of the Quadzerker: Part VII

I Thief Knife'd up two more Aegis Shields and two more Bone Mails.

LET'S loving DO THIS :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101:

Two blocks on the first Tidal Wave. My strategy was to facetank/block rather than give up Hermes for Coral.

First Chicken Knife swing misses...

...but the rest of the team does well in the first round.

Thank you Bone Mail!

Thank you Diamond Helm!

SECOND CHICKEN KNIFE SWING MISSES :argh:

KRILE :argh:

Slightly better.

Block on Maelstrom was good, but rolling L2Old was absolutely critical.

FINALLY

LENNA :argh:

Two straight physical blocks!

A quick Chicken Knife poke...

BONE MAIL :swoon:

KRILE :argh:

Now I'm nervous...

:rip: Krile

DIE FUCKER :black101:

YESSSSSSSSSS

That was fun. It might seem like a few nights of pointless RNG manipulation to some, but any time I got past the Mighty Guard/L3Flare roll I was on the edge of my seat.

The robot is literally impossible so I'm hanging up my :black101: for good. I hope you enjoyed the journey.

Next time: Reroll!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Doom Goon posted:

The full fantastic saga of Minotaur:

[1:43 AM] KataraniSword:
code:
React:Item:Assassin Dagger{
     No Clue
     }
I still do not comprehend this, what does it even DO
[1:43 AM] disastranagant: no one knows
[1:44 AM] Koobes: even the designers were confused
[1:44 AM] disastranagant: it's just some special case the dataminer didn't understand
[1:44 AM] KataraniSword: I mean
[1:44 AM] KataraniSword: "No Clue" is just the "enemy kills itself" move
[1:45 AM] KataraniSword: but
[1:45 AM] KataraniSword: you can't use the assassin dagger as an item
[1:45 AM] See Ker: can you throw it
[1:45 AM] KataraniSword: even if you wanted to
[1:45 AM] See Ker: that would be react:throw though
[1:45 AM] KataraniSword: ...........
[1:45 AM] KataraniSword: hm

1:54 AM] KataraniSword:
code:
React:Item:Item Name:  React to a specific Item being used or thrown at it
(must successfully hit the monster with it).
[1:54 AM] KataraniSword: ....huh.
[1:54 AM] KataraniSword: So apparently Minotaur, and Minotaur alone, instantly dies without fail if you chuck the Assassin Dagger at him

[2:35 AM] Woomy: Okay, let's see if Minotaur can be insta killed by AD
[2:35 AM] Woomy: At least in Steam
[2:35 AM] KataraniSword: remember: it apparently has to be thrown
[2:35 AM] KataraniSword: according to the scripts, at least
[2:40 AM] Woomy: AHAHAHA, IT WORKS

[4:04 PM] See Ker: [e:KataraniSword] was looking through the algorithms faq for battle scripts(edited)
[4:04 PM] See Ker: and Minotaur (and only Minotaur) has a special script
[4:04 PM] See Ker: that makes him die instantly if you throw assassin dagger at him
[4:04 PM] alcharagia: ...
[4:04 PM] alcharagia: lol wut
[4:04 PM] Cool Ghost: lol
[4:04 PM] Keeby: haha what
[4:04 PM] Exerci: I love it
[4:04 PM] Mega64: I saw that before but didn't realize it triggered by throwing it
[4:04 PM] Mega64: That's freaking nuts and amazing
[4:04 PM] Fenrir: lmao wow
[4:05 PM] Fenrir: that's amazing.
[4:05 PM] OFSheep: I can record it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ank9SAoZa7A

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Doom Goon posted:

It really, really is. For a niche case that nobody would even notice or think about. Like, I'd expect this on Twintania, not freakin' Minotaur.

Plus, what team with Ninja actually has trouble with Minotaur? You have dual-wield and !Image, you've got literally no worries in that fight.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bregor posted:

Journey of the Quadzerker: Part VII

Nice!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Well quad-Zerk was fun but let's do a Popular run and hopefully wreck some poo poo...

:getin:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fiesta just got over the 18k goal. :toot:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

So why does Minotaur have a special reaction for being on the receiving end of a thrown Assassin's Dagger? That seems like an odd thing to intentionally program.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

It seems to me like that's something they just wanted to happen in general, but scrapped it in development. So they scrubbed all other instances of it but forgot him. It makes sense to me but who knows.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Classic run (WHM/THF/RDM/BLM) completed by the skin of our teeth :stare:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Upgrade isn't really the best, but sometimes you end in comedy as interactions appear.

Wind: Red Mage, AKA "I am not loving grinding dualcast W1"
Water: Berserker, AKA "At least I killed the sandworm first"
Fire: Ranger, aka Bowserker aka "Holy poo poo the Sol Cannon dies fast to four thunder bows"
Earth: Mystic Knight, aka 4 Rapid Fire Spellblades for the rest of time :getin:

I killed Omega by just going in with Hermes sandals and lucking out on counters. Rapidfire thundaga chicken knife did about 7300 per hit (so about 29k per rapidfire)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

This was a nice and easy third run. Just some short comments:

- Knight: absolute MVP of the run. I hadn't gotten this before, so I was super into seeing Garula melt, hitting everything way earlier than I was used to for thousands of damage with Two-Handed, and ultimately just Berserkering a Brave Blade wielder to absolutely mutilate everything. My biggest problem was some terrible hit chances occassionally, what was up with all the misses? I thought Berserk IMPROVED hit chance? (incidentally, this is how I did get my third Elven Mantle in Walse even though I never ran)

- White Mage: the second MVP of the run (is this possible to say? I don't care). I also never had White Mage before, so I was constantly surprised by what they could do, seeing as they have almost all the Debuffs as well as all the heals. The only hard part was Omniscient because I really wanted Holy, see above for that saga; then poo poo melted even more. Two sources of heavy single target damage, basically. In the end, I had four !White users and a completely insane Knight slicing NED up who couldn't do anything.

- Geomancer: It's a super mixed bag on Mobile, because sometimes it's great to always have Twister available (lol Dragon Pod), sometimes it sucks giant balls (every other boss fight). I could deal a whopping total of 600 x4 damage to NED with White Mage Magic, a Black Robe and an Air Knife. Otoh, Cave-In is loving bonkers and it's like a 50% chance to happen in ANY underground setting, like the Trench, the Pyramid, the Deep Sea Shrine...and that carried me through a LOT of otherwise tedious dungeons. I attribute to !Gaia a lot of my completely nonexistant problems in keeping the Brave Blade powered.

- Monk (#FifthJob from Red Mage): I'd have vastly prefered the RM. Monk did make Omniscient possible with the crazy Guard-Counter tactic, but I'd have been able to do him in with RM easily. Other than that, I did kill some enemies in the walk up to the fourth Hermes Sandals with Kaiser Knuckles equipped (I'm a cheap bastard, okay) and...um...my White Mage has higher HP than the Geomancer in the final bossfight?

I don't know how to prove exactly that this is right before NED, but I guess you could extrapolate from the stats and just believe me otherwise. Thought the "Rift - Final Floor" would show up somewhere but it doesn't, whatever. I thought of toxxing myself to do this but decided to...just do it, and I'll just donate a tenner regardless. It was worth it, was fun.

Again, with this team composition I had very few moments where I was "ugh if I only could flee". Most of them were Exdeath's Soul encounters in the Sealed Temple, for which I didn't reset but ground them down with Berserk + Brave Blade (rear end in a top hat has sky-high evade, apparently so uuuugh). End level: 34 (so not that high?). Mobile helps a lot, I admit, because if you do wipe to something bad or get a really annoying back attack, you can just quit, Resume and start after the last encounter you won or the last door you entered. If I wanted to, I'd never wipe to anything, though. I got a Grand Cross that killed one character, confused two (!) others and put the third in critical...then I ate an Almagest. And I still won. Monk finally hit herself for like 30 damage twice (from 300 HP, bless your piddly fists from back row), then it was an Arisapalooza. And Shell everyone up again, of course!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ultrafilter posted:

So why does Minotaur have a special reaction for being on the receiving end of a thrown Assassin's Dagger? That seems like an odd thing to intentionally program.

Why do Fairy Orcs have a special reaction for being hit by Cure? (According to Algorithm FAQ, they target your entire party with Curaga)
Why does Ramuh cast Mini on your entire team if you Mini him?
Why does using a Gold Needle on an old man fix his bad back? (Seriously, do it on the fights with the Jura Aevis old men. Really works!)

FF5's AI scripts are full of weird little things that make no sense.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KataraniSword posted:

Why do Fairy Orcs have a special reaction for being hit by Cure? (According to Algorithm FAQ, they target your entire party with Curaga)
They're just being friendly :kimchi:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

KataraniSword posted:

Why does using a Gold Needle on an old man fix his bad back? (Seriously, do it on the fights with the Jura Aevis old men. Really works!)

Acupuncture in Final Fantasy? More likely than I thought.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Omega can be blessed kissed, because Matrix are inconsistent with bug fixes. And he does indeed counter still.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

My biggest problem was some terrible hit chances occassionally, what was up with all the misses? I thought Berserk IMPROVED hit chance?

Berserk does nothing but "Attack = Attack * 3 / 2" and removes your ability to control the character. Swords are 100% hit weapons aside from the Blood Sword, so you were probably just running into physical evasion.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Berserk does nothing but "Attack = Attack * 3 / 2" and removes your ability to control the character. Swords are 100% hit weapons aside from the Blood Sword, so you were probably just running into physical evasion.
Shows me for trusting the FF Wiki.

A poo poo Wiki posted:

The party should change into Monks and wait until the Jackanapes casts Moon Flute. When berserked the party will have a higher hit rate, and will only need to survive three or four rounds to kill the Jackanapes.
I didn't fact check because surely they wouldn't have made up such a frivolous claim???

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Simply Simon posted:

I didn't fact check because surely they wouldn't have made up such a frivolous claim???

The problem being that anybody can edit a wiki, and while moderators can and do take deletion by non-recognized members as vandalism, non-defamatory additions are usually waved by.

In turn, it turns out a lot of their mechanical info comes from GameFAQs, and I don't mean the algorithm guide, either.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

Shows me for trusting the FF Wiki.

That thing is utter and complete garbage, so yes, that's on you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

What got me when recording this was the pause after he blinks but before he dies. Every time No Clue happens it always throws me off.

This also skips the Holy counter, whatever the hell that counts for.

• Locked thread