Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Robin Willaims is the greatest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

One of those is real.

Real or not, KWaste is saying they are all honest portrayals of the movies

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like the Shining one.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CelticPredator posted:

Robin Willaims was the greatest.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Tenzarin posted:

Prometheus trailers made it look really actiony and then you end up with a talking drama.

Prometheus was not a drama, it was a farce.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was an adventure horror film

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIOqbRyaDJ8

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That scene rules. What makes it stand out? RLM used it a few times to say why Prometheus sucks. At least use the running from the Ship scene which was dumb and lame.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

CelticPredator posted:

That scene rules. What makes it stand out? RLM used it a few times to say why Prometheus sucks. At least use the running from the Ship scene which was dumb and lame.

The acting and make-up is bad, which adds to the absurdity, and the genius having his skull bashed in with the skull of his creation is so on the nose as to make the scene complete shlock.

edit: Also, violence against the elderly is funny. Eat the rich.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 23, 2017

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm the guy who walked away from Covenant feeling duped by the marketing. I'll submit the caveat that I hadn't seen the full trailer, but going by the TV ads, posters, the re-using of the original "Alien" branding (it's actually kind of remarkable that until now each movie has had its own distinct logo) and the Xenomorph and Sigourney Weaver appearances on talk shows and the like, my impression was 20th Century Fox was screaming "yes we actually made the obvious ALIEN 2 that somehow this 40 year old franchise never really produced". During my viewing I think by the time the crew reached the ghost Engineer town I'd accepted that all the Alien poo poo was being saved for the end, but even granting the "alright, alright here's what you came for you dullard" climax (which honestly came off a little condescending to me) I felt the thing was a bait-and-switch.

I'd argue it definitely had an effect on the box office, or at least that audiences weren't satisfied with the movie they got. Covenant was tracking for a $40+ million opening, and its first day takings seemed to confirm so - that it wound up missing that mark (and it wasn't even really close) rose eyebrows, and it collapsed by 70% the following weekend, and this pattern of conspicuously large drops was consistent with the movie's performance in other markets. Really, Covenant's total worldwide numbers aren't that bad in a vacuum, what's disappointing is the sense that the movie didn't meet its potential. It all points to toxic word of mouth, that people were sold on its presentation but the actual movie didn't meet their expectations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

No joke my favorite scene in the entire film.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
DAMMIT SMG SOME OF US ARE WAITING ON YOUR NEXT CHAPTER YOU OLD BITCH

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's scenes like this that remind me most people don't understand genre beyond category and marketing. Prometheus is funny as hell, but you can't tell people it's a comedy.

I recently watched Splice, and I think it's the sickest comedy I've ever seen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Splice is incredible, I thought Cube was just okay but who knew Natali had that in him?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh absolutely. This is the scene where I "got it" and immediately started cracking up.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Splice is incredible, I thought Cube was just okay but who knew Natali had that in him?

The first time they bring out the blobs I knew I was in for something special.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

It really doesn't do action schlock very well and never has. The only time that's ever been successful is when Cameron was involved. It was a one-off lightning in a bottle situation.

I wish we could hear the discussions FOX management is having regarding Avatar being a franchise that Cameron seems to believe is his sistine chapel.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh absolutely. This is the scene where I "got it" and immediately started cracking up.
By the same token, Alien: Covenant really clicked for me at the moment the alien pulled a Jason Vorhees on a couple in the shower.

Basebf555 posted:

It really doesn't do action schlock very well and never has. The only time that's ever been successful is when Cameron was involved. It was a one-off lightning in a bottle situation.
I think I mentioned this before, but ever since Aliens, everyone seems to think that the "default" Alien movie is a military science fiction thriller. People wanted Alien 3, Prometheus, and Covenant to be Aliens but this time the Marines just go on that bug hunt and bring back trophies. Even Aliens itself was a sendup of that poo poo.

And I don't know where this comes from. The Dark Horse comics? The video games, more likely? Like how do you look at the Alien franchise and say "this is an action movie franchise" and be totally confused when the movies employ nightmare-logic instead of *~tactical realism~*.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 25, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blame Heinlein.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

The first time they bring out the blobs I knew I was in for something special.

In retrospect, the presence of Adrien Brody was a huge tipoff.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

In retrospect, the presence of Adrien Brody was a huge tipoff.

I only decided to watch the movie because Brody was in it. I was on a big Brody kick at the time for some reason.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Speaking of Aliens, any other goons pick up/attempt to get the limited edition Reebok release last week?

Managed to score a set for my boyfriend who is now out and about in the world wearing a pair of sneakers designed after Ripley's power loader. I stole the little green keychain off of the Alien Queen sneakers from him; it has a cool little stylized Alien head on it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Do they do the powered zip thing?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

I only decided to watch the movie because Brody was in it. I was on a big Brody kick at the time for some reason.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Please don't out me in the Aliens thread.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

MacheteZombie posted:

Please don't out me in the Aliens thread.

You might discover the full range of your sexuality and/or end up with a space snake lodged in your trachea :ohdear:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Splice rules!!

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

How dare you, CUBE is a masterpiece.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like the Cube genre of existential one room mystery films but they're all thoroughly mediocre with the exception of Five Characters In Search Of An Exit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I like the Cube genre of existential one room mystery films but they're all thoroughly mediocre with the exception of Five Characters In Search Of An Exit.

Just a barrel, a dark depository where are kept the counterfeit, make-believe pieces of plaster and cloth, wrought in a distorted image of human life. But this added, hopeful note: perhaps they are unloved only for the moment. In the arms of children, there can be nothing but love. A clown, a tramp, a bagpipe player, a ballet dancer, and a Major. Tonight's cast of players on the odd stage—known as—The Twilight Zone.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
At the beginning of Predators when Topher Grace says he's a doctor I was hoping we were going to be getting into a Cube like situation where everyone had a special skill to help keep them alive in their fight against the predators.
Alas...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Clearly, Hell is other people.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

wyoming posted:

At the beginning of Predators when Topher Grace says he's a doctor I was hoping we were going to be getting into a Cube like situation where everyone had a special skill to help keep them alive in their fight against the predators.
Alas...

When Adrian Brody's giving the rundown of their teammates to Alice Braga, I was really hoping it would go

quote:

[Royce looks to Nikolai]
"Spetznatz Alpha Group"
[to Cuchillo]
"Los Zetas Cartel Enforcer"
[to Mombasa]
"R.U.F., that's a death-squad from Sierra Leone"
[to Hanzo]
"Yakuza Inagawa-kai"
[to Stans]
"The FBI's Most Wanted"
[to Edwin]

"Secret Psychopath"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Cube Zero was so bad I was surprised it was even filmed.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Have you seen Fermat's Room?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

Have you seen Fermat's Room?

Nope, added to the list!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Nope, added to the list!

It hits a lot of the sour notes of those one room mystery movies (over-complicates things, the finale doesn't live up to the setup) but I found the setup interesting and the cast is very charming.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MacheteZombie posted:

Just a barrel, a dark depository where are kept the counterfeit, make-believe pieces of plaster and cloth, wrought in a distorted image of human life. But this added, hopeful note: perhaps they are unloved only for the moment. In the arms of children, there can be nothing but love. A clown, a tramp, a bagpipe player, a ballet dancer, and a Major. Tonight's cast of players on the odd stage—known as—The Twilight Zone.

I like the scene where the clown runs down a list of possible explanations for why they're there, and all of them sound like possible other Twilight Zone episodes

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Cube Zero was so bad I was surprised it was even filmed.

Cube Zero is actually great on its own. It's terrible as an additon to Cube, but who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I rewatched the Cube movies recently, and Cube Zero was better than I remember

Cube 2 still sucks though