Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

:stare: this is awesome especially that lense.

This is a really cool model, and your colors/paint look great to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleepyjacked
Sep 21, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

That looks really good!

What's the name of that specific model?

It's a Reverend Custodier -- https://store.corvusbelli.com/products/nomads/280547-0302-reverend-custodiers-hacker-combi-rifle-marker

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This is a really cool model, and your colors/paint look great to me.

hey, thanks!

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Howdy folks, I'm participating in Beer's chapter gen challenge, and I want to do a disco theme for my chapter, the DIAMOND SLAYERS. What's a good GW paint scheme idea or two? I have to use Rakarth Flesh and can't use Balthasar gold. Also, I want to do those big poofy boots, I'm guessing greenstuff would be the way to go, what would be best for an afro?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ilor posted:

How about St. Pauli Girl in power armor?

That's.... a better concept than I would have guessed! I'm going to poke around a bit and maybe try some similar inspirations (team/school colors) to see if it gets me closer to what I want.

I have a problem where I have a handful of colors that my brain automatically slots into color schemes and it makes it hard for me to branch out. It doesn't help that they're very distinct colors.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So, I painted an Orc for the first time. I think it turned out okay.

My friend was using a pre-painted mini for her half-orc barbarian, so I thought I'd paint one up for her.

Please excuse the base. It's still drying.

Any tips on Orc Skin? What did I do right/wrong?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

gently caress that's awesome, the edge highlights on the metal is rad as hell

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah those metallics are top notch. I've never been good at anything dingier than silver.

Speaking of silver, crosspost time!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Time for my biweekly Deathwatch spam! Here's my Stalker Bolter Killteams, including my first Bigmar, converted from my spare Ancient:

Bigger:
http://imgur.com/a/UL7m8

Got a nice mixture of Chapters going now, though I'm starting to run out of ideas. Starting to get a hang of my new camera, a couple only a little overexposed this time.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

:stare: this is awesome especially that lense.

Thanks. Got some day time pictures rather than right after painting him until 11:30pm after a few beers pictures. Still need a small brush to do the metals but it's more or less done. Next task is to find/buy a small drill again to drill the barrels on his little siblings.

(Image spam)

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

richyp posted:

Thanks. Got some day time pictures rather than right after painting him until 11:30pm after a few beers pictures. Still need a small brush to do the metals but it's more or less done. Next task is to find/buy a small drill again to drill the barrels on his little siblings.

(Image spam)

Beautiful :stwoon:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone else have trouble with the Vallejo Airbrush surface primer not being a really good primer? I feel that compared to the Army Painter spray it's not sticking at all.

Yes it's actual primer, and not the paint called primer.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anyone else have trouble with the Vallejo Airbrush surface primer not being a really good primer? I feel that compared to the Army Painter spray it's not sticking at all.

I’ve had a better experience with Badger STYNYLREZ Primer than I did the Vallejo. Are you brushing on or airbrushing?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's known to not have the best adhesion. My latest batch of marines, despite gloss coating before washing and matte coating after washing, in addition to the primer undercoat, I had some paint just come off when using blue-tac to clean off debris. It just doesn't bond all that well.

I'm giving the badger stynylrez a shot since a lot of people seem to swear by it, and the cure time seems shorter too.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I love seeing me some RichyP models!

This page has some great stuff on it!

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

I've just finished painting some figures from Betrayal at Calth as a Dark Apostle and Terminator lord for a Black Legion army. I was aiming for "behold the sinister majesty of the Warp!" with the Terminator's cloak but I think I ended up more in the ren-faire wizard mode, which is probably preferable anyway.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
x-post from 40k thread

Booley posted:

I can't decide if I love these guys because of how much character they have, or hate them because of how much fiddly detail every single one has. Looking forward to painting some primaris without a billion skulls and ropes and blood drops next.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

x-post from 40k thread

It took me six years to finally paint my Blood Angels army because they were so goddamn fiddly. I can knock out Crimson Fists dudes in my sleep but the BA guys were such an exercise in frustration that I took multiple multi-month breaks before I could face them again.

Still, those are some sweet-looking Death Company my dude, well done.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Shadin posted:

I’ve had a better experience with Badger STYNYLREZ Primer than I did the Vallejo. Are you brushing on or airbrushing?

This is the correct answer.

Also, not having to use water or flow improver with it is a nice shortcut.

peonic
Jun 14, 2006
SysAdmin of the Apocalypse

Yeast posted:

This is the correct answer.

Also, not having to use water or flow improver with it is a nice shortcut.

Ahhh - that might be the issue? I've always had great results with Vallejo primer - but I was always told to use thinners with that (and not flow improver or water).

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Thanks. Started on his pals. Green spray paint definitely helps speed up basing.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

Thanks. Started on his pals. Green spray paint definitely helps speed up basing.

These are incredible. Really great job.

I finished up that Orruk Brute I was working on for a friend and grabbed some glamour shots of him.

She'll be running it as her half-orc barbarian in the Pathfinder game they're playing. (I find the bare feet perfectly barbaric.)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

These are incredible. Really great job.

I finished up that Orruk Brute I was working on for a friend and grabbed some glamour shots of him.

She'll be running it as her half-orc barbarian in the Pathfinder game they're playing. (I find the bare feet perfectly barbaric.)

Half-Orc? Is the other half Ogre or something? :)

Seriously, good work on that guy, he looks good.

richyp posted:

These are pretty drat solid, I like the pink nurgling. Will you be glossing up the entrails etc later?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zark the Damned posted:

Will you be glossing up the entrails etc later?

Jeez, buy him a drink first at least.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

JoshTheStampede posted:

Jeez, buy him a drink first at least.

That made me laugh more than I expected it to.

I probably won't gloss up the guts for want of a better phrase as I kind of like the matt look. The pink's a lot lighter in person (similar to the nurgling) but the lighting isn't great when there's more than one duder in shot. If I can recreate my old light box setup I'll take some better shots.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Half-Orc? Is the other half Ogre or something? :)

Seriously, good work on that guy, he looks good.

Haha, I know. I couldn't find a good sculpt of a female half-orc barbarian. Paizo makes some but they're tiny compared to other stuff. I bought a few of those as well and i'll be painting them up this week to see how they turn out. The faces are kinda :shepface:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

Haha, I know. I couldn't find a good sculpt of a female half-orc barbarian. Paizo makes some but they're tiny compared to other stuff. I bought a few of those as well and i'll be painting them up this week to see how they turn out. The faces are kinda :shepface:

http://www.oathswornminiatures.co.uk/p/9166176/28mm-female-half-orc-barbarian.html any good for you?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This is perfect. Too late to order now, but i'm glad I have this resource for future projects.

Edit: I lied, I bought it. This will probably be the best out of all of them.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 24, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Has anyone seen a successful job of painting the lenses on a Space Marine helmet black? I want to really push the skull look for my random Primaris chapter.

Shadin posted:

Both. I didn't think I would have to thin something made specifically for airbrushing, but I'll try the other stuff and maybe save this for terrain or something.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 24, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Badger Stynlrez is my go to primer now, it is absolutely fantastic. I only use the vallejo stuff for bases, terrain, etc.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

TTerrible posted:

Badger Stynlrez is my go to primer now, it is absolutely fantastic. I only use the vallejo stuff for bases, terrain, etc.

What amazes me is I'm not even really careful with the stuff. I usually set it to 20 PSI and just go to town. Seems to be really forgiving, as long as you don't just go balls out crazy and let it get so thick it's pooling I've never had it clog details yet.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Shadin posted:

What amazes me is I'm not even really careful with the stuff. I usually set it to 20 PSI and just go to town. Seems to be really forgiving, as long as you don't just go balls out crazy and let it get so thick it's pooling I've never had it clog details yet.

Yeah it's completely idiot proof. I practically drown models in it and they always come out perfect.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
As an idiot I appreciate that.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Has anyone seen a successful job of painting the lenses on a Space Marine helmet black? I want to really push the skull look for my random Primaris chapter.

Not tried it personally, but I'd try a dark grey lense, then in the lower corner do a light grey, opposite (upper corner) black, with a white dot overlapping where the black and grey meet, something like this crude MS Paint:

richyp posted:

If I can recreate my old light box setup I'll take some better shots.

Ghetto Amazon box, plain paper and LED bulb, Camera Phone setup. It blows out the highlights but at least the pictures are sharper:

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Maybe you guys can help me with some color selection. I'm just getting into 40k and want to do a DOOM themed successor chapter because why not called Icons of Sin. Looking to base the scheme on the Praetor suit.

What greens do you think would work best? At first glance I was thinking Castellan and Caliban (or Army Green and Angel Green from the Army Painter lineup). Also looking for something to fit with that dark leather for the packs and joints.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's worked fine for me so far, but I took the bottle's "allow 24 hours to cure" instruction to heart. Also I've only used it on plastic.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I've never had an issue with it. I generally give it an hour or so to cure and go to town with my base coat

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Shadin posted:

Maybe you guys can help me with some color selection. I'm just getting into 40k and want to do a DOOM themed successor chapter because why not called Icons of Sin. Looking to base the scheme on the Praetor suit.

What greens do you think would work best? At first glance I was thinking Castellan and Caliban (or Army Green and Angel Green from the Army Painter lineup). Also looking for something to fit with that dark leather for the packs and joints.

I'm eyeballing the photos of GW paints from their website, if they're close to accurate I'd say:

- Green Armour: maybe something like Kabalite Green as the base with Sybarite Green as the last level of highlight, then some combo of the two in between. (Maybe a Biel-Tan Green wash, with some Drakenhof blue in the deepest recesses??)
- Brown Leather: Something like Storm Vermin Fur, Steel Legion Drab highlight and some washes of Agrax.

I'm no longer the owner of my pride and joy Vallejo Model Color collection (:rip:) but from memory I'd say Gunship Green or Olive Grey would be a good base colour, lightening with Khaki or Dark Sand. For the Leather, the appropriately named Leather Brown, highlighted (again) with Dark Sand.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Forge World's Sons of Horus green on a gray basecoat might do the trick.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
You might want to try tinting one of the bluer greens with a shade, like Sons of Horus or Kabalite green + Athonian Camoshade for example.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

richyp posted:

JFC these highlights, I love your style. I don't know how I'd describe it, its... thick and juicy? But not like in a 'thick paint' way, it just looks vibrant and ... almost like comic cel-shading or something?!

And the rust on those weapons holy poo poo dude

Shadin posted:

Doom 1 doomguy was very green, but DO4M doomguy is almost blue-green. Which are you going for specifically?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Der Shovel posted:

It's worked fine for me so far, but I took the bottle's "allow 24 hours to cure" instruction to heart. Also I've only used it on plastic.

24 hour cure? Welp. Should probably have read stuff.