Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Mill Village posted:

So what exactly would make this a full game and not an expansion.

I was thinking the concept of abandoning the old consoles might mean we would have a bit of an expanded game. I mean, I don't know what that might mean, but I was thinking some kind of expansion on what they would have presented. Like maybe a larger melee during the attack or something. Or faces.

I can't say what I was hoping for but just that I wouldn't think I was seeing Destiny's third expansion.

Bear in mind that I'm not the person they need to impress. I jumped in at Taken King and skipped Rise of Iron so I was most likely going to be a late adopter. That might have changed if seeing the accumulation of Destiny's 2-ness combined with whatever niceness had been added with Rise of Iron felt like enough to feel like a sequel.

It might just be that I'll be the kind of player that feels best jumping in at Destiny 1.5 and then going to Destiny 2.5. So bring on Destiny 2: The Takening!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Had a bunch of 10.0+ games this evening with the boys. Solo dropping was inadvisable yet at least somewhat manageable in D1, but it's a straight up retarded choice in this game. I really suck rear end with roaming supers that aren't hammers, that skill tree with the second shield throw is looking better every day.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I don't know what they are gonna do about solo dropping, or even 2/3 stacks. Unless they have a permanent freelancer mode and a "you are a 2 the other guys have a 2, same with 3s" mode the pvp will be dead in the water. :munch:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
As a freak who is not into Destiny PvP the beta did a good job of making move the game from my Day 1 must buy list to the maybe later list.

Weapons slot changes can go suck my balls and loving up PvE with them to me at least is a sure sign the PvP is their main focus.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ape Agitator posted:

I was thinking the concept of abandoning the old consoles might mean we would have a bit of an expanded game. I mean, I don't know what that might mean, but I was thinking some kind of expansion on what they would have presented. Like maybe a larger melee during the attack or something. Or faces.

I can't say what I was hoping for but just that I wouldn't think I was seeing Destiny's third expansion.

Bear in mind that I'm not the person they need to impress. I jumped in at Taken King and skipped Rise of Iron so I was most likely going to be a late adopter. That might have changed if seeing the accumulation of Destiny's 2-ness combined with whatever niceness had been added with Rise of Iron felt like enough to feel like a sequel.

It might just be that I'll be the kind of player that feels best jumping in at Destiny 1.5 and then going to Destiny 2.5. So bring on Destiny 2: The Takening!

Did you play the strike because you cover about 8 times the distance just in that than you do in literally anything in destiny 1.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
There wasn't a whole lot of shooting things in the strike. Makes me wonder if the difficulty was scaled down or if D2 is being made for thumbless morons.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

PvP feels like a bag of sloppy dicks. AKA: Fridays at home.

Strike is cool though, can't wait to see how PvE plays at release.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

So you have no idea what you want.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I spent most of the strike today punching and failing to get force barrier to activate (eight enemies in a row, jesus christ), and hiding behind my barrier only to be shot through it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 23, 2017

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Look some of us will sacrifice our sixty bucks and tell you how it is over the course of a month after and then you can sit pretty or whatever and stroke your neckbeards.

We have been told the beta is a very different game from how it will be at launch. And we don't even know what the rest of the game is going to look like!

So far I've been told we can be big dumb mans in space and shoot people in cru cru and shoot an even bigger Minotaur together. Yes the devil is in the details but we haven't seen the details.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
The farm is up in an hour, right?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I played with some friends last night and PVP is now cool and good.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Old Swerdlow posted:

The farm is up in an hour, right?

Two hours.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

What we expected:

What we got:

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Aww beans!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Insane Totoro posted:

Look some of us will sacrifice our sixty bucks and tell you how it is over the course of a month after and then you can sit pretty or whatever and stroke your neckbeards.

We have been told the beta is a very different game from how it will be at launch. And we don't even know what the rest of the game is going to look like!

So far I've been told we can be big dumb mans in space and shoot people in cru cru and shoot an even bigger Minotaur together. Yes the devil is in the details but we haven't seen the details.

Normal brain: release a demo/press materials that's representative of your final product to build hype

Universe Brain: release a demo that's NOT representative of your final product so you can point out all the ways the final product will be better

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Insane Totoro posted:

So I guess this is the first game you have ever played or that you have never heard those exact words said a million times by devs over that last 20 years. Every single time it's been a line of bullshit.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Normal brain: release a demo/press materials that's representative of your final product to build hype

Universe Brain: release a demo that's NOT representative of your final product so you can point out all the ways the final product will be better

That's great, but that's not the reality of game development. They have to have a build ready to pass console certification.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
A podcast I listen to said it is basically the media/judges/whatever demo they were allowed to play in May, which I think strengthens the possibility that they've been making changes since. It also makes it funnier if they haven't.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Just because it always happens doesn't make it any less retarded, not to mention bungie making other dipshit choices recently.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

PathAsc posted:

Just because it always happens doesn't make it any less retarded, not to mention bungie making other dipshit choices recently.

Bungie is well on its way to pulling a bioware

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Raged posted:

Yep yep yep

:allbuttons:

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
A bunch of nerds doing some nerd poo poo in here

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Raged posted:

Oh hell yeah now this thread is going places

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So what are the romance options

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

quote:

Cooperative play, or PvE, "has changed pretty significantly since the Beta build was deployed," says Beta Design Lead Rob Engeln. "The nature of a Beta of this scale requires that it's based off a build of the game that is now months old. So, in many cases, your feedback is helping us validate changes that were previously made based on internal feedback and playtesting."

God drat what a load of crap. Honestly could be part of a Trump press briefing.

We have made big, huge changes to the game. Sorry we can't show you the changes you just have to believe us.

No one liked Primary/Special/Heavy. We have top guys working on this.. best people big brains

Nope we are not basing our whole game around PvP and reports of that are fake news.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Raged posted:

I don't think Bungie has had a mass exodus of veteran employees.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Again: It's totally realistic and probably pretty accurate that things have changed significantly since they finalized this build for certification and poo poo. Totally get the reality there. You dudes harping on this are not making an interesting point.

What is not normal is that the (pretty universally reacted to) slow pace and underwhelming boringness of the PvE powers was not discussed by Bungie prior to the release of the demo. If they actually viewed it as an issue that was bothering them so much that they made a wholesale revamp to ability cooldowns and power in later builds, they would have frontloaded an announcement to that effect.

They have absolutely been reactive, in that they saw the bad press and explosion on reddit/bnet and went into spin mode.

Between 4v4 only PvP and the fact that they thought it was fine to present this beta to the public as-is with no caveats on abilities, it reinforces my worry that the core philosophy behind the game is a move away from the fun poo poo to fake-competitive PvP that's bleeding over into all facets of the game.

Destiny1 final PvP balance, but with no loving power weapon exotics in the primary slot, the new power ammo drop system for special in 3s, and a reduction in Sticky tracking would be fantastic. That's obviously not where they want to go.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Mill Village posted:

I don't think Bungie has had a mass exodus of veteran employees.

or at least another, recent one

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
honestly the most annoying thing to me (and this hasn't really changed since d1) is this god loving awful fov. hitting people with melees who aren't even visible. people jumping barely three feet above you should not be out of sight.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

haveblue posted:

A marriage emblem for 2500 glimmer.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Blind Rasputin posted:

A marriage emblem for 2500 glimmer.

that's way too cheap, are you kidding me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You have to play doubles until your SO hits diamond

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Get youhr ahssss to Farhms

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

You will date grind, poo poo rng and frustration and defend them on the reddit.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
lmao the farm was totally empty when i logged in

it's weird they don't even have the npcs? even if they don't do anything

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lmao the farm was totally empty when i logged in

it's weird they don't even have the npcs? even if they don't do anything

I scored so many soccer goals.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
"Test our matchmaking"

I'm in the farm completely alone. No NPCs, no other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Man i'm some kinda dumbass, I can't figure out to do captain America instead of old-style bubble shield. I accidentally did it once and then never again.