Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
In case anyone else is like me and chopping the limbs off of their miniatures in preperation for the upcoming changes it's worth noting that a power sword from the normal marine kits will fit pretty nicely on the hand of an Intercessor Sergeant.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Saw this in the store today, you can get a single bigman with White Dwarf: a magazine about painting warhams :corsair:

If you ever feel like you've gotten out of shape just go to your local hobby shop, I feel like Adonis now.

I'm now the owner of 18 easy build Poxwalkers, which are actually made in the UK. I was about to buy Dark Vengeance for the 20 stupid looking Poxwalkers, really happy to avoid the hassle of giving away the Deathguard and Bigmen to you people.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 23, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Post 9-11 User posted:

Saw this in the store today, you can get a single bigman with White Dwarf:

If you ever feel like you've gotten out of shape just go to your local hobby shop, I feel like Adonis now.

I'm now the owner of 18 easy build Poxwalkers, which are actually made in the UK. I was about to buy Dark Vengeance for the 20 stupid looking Poxwalkers, really happy to avoid the hassle of giving away the Deathguard and Bigmen to you people.

Perfect timing for the Chapter Challenge.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Corrode posted:

This is exactly why I signed up for it. $8 for a fun painting challenge, plus I've never painted a space marine before! :shobon:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

I'm trying to convince my local manager to do this in store, but I don't think he's gonna.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I would buy that. I just need to find a local GW.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
It's not a copy of White Dwarf but some book about collecting/painting/etc... 40k that has the rules in it too. I grabbed it for the Primaris duder so the Snarling Lions can make an appearance in all their Warplock Bronze and Teal glory.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Corrode posted:

I just found out about this. You nerds should advertise for us nerds that mostly just use bookmarks.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Post 9-11 User posted:

Saw this in the store today, you can get a single bigman with White Dwarf:

Wait, how come subscribers to the magazine don't get this. (Or get their magazine on time for that matter)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Wait, how come subscribers to the magazine don't get this. (Or get their magazine on time for that matter)
Because it's not White Dwarf, it's a little Start Collecting magazine intended for new players to get them up to speed.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ah, I got confused since it has the same cover, haha.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would buy that. I just need to find a local GW.

I saw these at my FLGS so theyre not GW exclusive at least.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is it a different model from the other sets?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I think it's one of the sprues they're using as blind bags.

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is it a different model from the other sets?

It's the free marine they give away in stores to paint and stuff, its just a regular primaris marine with a modeled base. When 8th came out they gave away one with every purchase, so I've got a few kicking around.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Cyberpope v2 posted:

It's the free marine they give away in stores to paint and stuff, its just a regular primaris marine with a modeled base. When 8th came out they gave away one with every purchase, so I've got a few kicking around.

My FLGS was holding out on us then, cause the first time I saw one was in the magazine thing. :saddowns:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I've got some Tartaros Terminators that I haven't assembled yet and I haven't got the slightest idea how to equip them for 8th Edition.

Any ideas? My only restriction is that I'd prefer to keep them a bit shooty, so no double Lightning Claws.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Endman posted:

I've got some Tartaros Terminators that I haven't assembled yet and I haven't got the slightest idea how to equip them for 8th Edition.

Any ideas? My only restriction is that I'd prefer to keep them a bit shooty, so no double Lightning Claws.

Presuming you're talking a five man squad, I'd say:

Sergeant with Plasma Blaster and Power Sword
Tartaros with Reaper Autocannon, Chainfist, and Grenade Harness
3x Tartaros with Combi-Bolter and Chainfist

Here's what I'm thinking. Both the Plasma Blaster and Reaper are good guns you can't get anywhere else. Chainfists are superior to Power Fists with the improved AP. True you get a locked Damage of 2 vs. the P.Fist's 1d3, but 1d3 averages to 2 in the long run anyway. The Grenade Harness goes on one of the models you'll choose to kill last. Personally, I'd prefer to keep the Reaper, but if you would rather the Sarge stay alive, move the Harness to him.

True, this is fairly expensive, coming in at 296 points. But if you're taking an expensive deep strike unit like Terminators, you want to get the most out of your purchase. Since you can't guarantee getting them into melee but you can guarantee them one round of shooting on the turn they deep strike in, you'll want the best possible guns for that turn of fire. Meanwhile the Chainfist upgrades only cost you 8 points to get more reliable melee attacks.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'd probably want to change one or two chainfists into power swords, but getting power weapon arms for Tartaros is going to be hard.

Time for my biweekly Deathwatch spam! Here's my Stalker Bolter Killteams, including my first Bigmar, converted from my spare Ancient:

Bigger:
http://imgur.com/a/UL7m8

Got a nice mixture of Chapters going now, though I'm starting to run out of ideas. Starting to get a hang of my new camera, a couple only a little overexposed this time.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd probably want to change one or two chainfists into power swords, but getting power weapon arms for Tartaros is going to be hard.

Unless they got new options in the Codex, the only one who can get a Power Sword is the Sergeant.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Time for my biweekly Deathwatch spam! Here's my Stalker Bolter Killteams, including my first Bigmar, converted from my spare Ancient:

Bigger:
http://imgur.com/a/UL7m8

Got a nice mixture of Chapters going now, though I'm starting to run out of ideas. Starting to get a hang of my new camera, a couple only a little overexposed this time.

Looking pretty good! :golfclap:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MSP keep posting these dudes, they're making me want to paint up some Deathwatch.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I gave GW money

richyp posted:

(Image spam)

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
This is a safe space buddy. Let it out. That is one lovely drone.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

richyp posted:

I gave GW money

Loving the old school jewel effect on the eye.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Double post: How much of an rear end in a top hat would I be if I were to use two Vultures w/TL punisher cannons in a 2000pt game?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

OhDearGodNo posted:

Double post: How much of an rear end in a top hat would I be if I were to use two Vultures w/TL punisher cannons in a 2000pt game?

Depends on context. If you spring not one but two forgeworld models on someone, that could be somewhat dickish, yes. If you're telling your friend "Hey I'm bringing some cheese, and I want to try out some flyers, that cool", then that's less dickish. If he or she has no anti-air that's kind of crap though.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So does anyone have any advice on how to kill Bobby G? I have a casual game today with my wolves going up against Ultrabros with rear end can razorbacks and Guiliman. Last time I faced it I lost by a single point, but Guiliman was just ripping through my stuff at that point.

What I am bringing:
Ajak with TH/SS termies
1 Gravis captain
2 5 man plasma tactical squads
1 Intercessor
1 Hellblaster
1 Contemptor dread with heavy bolters and plasma claw
1 Demios Vindicator laser destroyer
1 Vulture Gunship with punisher cannons

OhDearGodNo posted:

Not any more dickish than my artillery regiment I am building that has an Avenger, a Vulture, a Minotaur and has the minotaur and 3 basilisks each backed up by a Trojan. Still isn't 6 Stormravens though, and Vultures are killable.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jadebullet posted:

So does anyone have any advice on how to kill Bobby G? I have a casual game today with my wolves going up against Ultrabros with rear end can razorbacks and Guiliman. Last time I faced it I lost by a single point, but Guiliman was just ripping through my stuff at that point.

What I am bringing:
Ajak with TH/SS termies
1 Gravis captain
2 5 man plasma tactical squads
1 Intercessor
1 Hellblaster
1 Contemptor dread with heavy bolters and plasma claw
1 Demios Vindicator laser destroyer
1 Vulture Gunship with punisher cannons

Sledgehammer maybe? I really hate that bringing a loving Primarch is something people can do.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

OhDearGodNo posted:

Loving the old school jewel effect on the eye.

That's because I'm old. (What's the new way?)

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

richyp posted:

Probably just a glaze or maybe using the new gemstone technical paints.

I do the gradient build-up and white dot reflection like you do and I much prefer that look.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
How is bringing a lord of war casual in any sense?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

richyp posted:

Don't worry about the new way. It's basically just using a gloss coat finish to make it actually reflective. But the old-school way looks far better.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Milotic posted:

Depends on context. If you spring not one but two forgeworld models on someone, that could be somewhat dickish, yes. If you're telling your friend "Hey I'm bringing some cheese, and I want to try out some flyers, that cool", then that's less dickish. If he or she has no anti-air that's kind of crap though.

jadebullet posted:

Not any more dickish than my artillery regiment I am building that has an Avenger, a Vulture, a Minotaur and has the minotaur and 3 basilisks each backed up by a Trojan. Still isn't 6 Stormravens though, and Vultures are killable.

Cool, gonna pull the trigger on the buy then. As I'm wrapping up the beastmen (honestly I'm so sick of painting shades of brown/tan right now) I'm going to shift a bit to the next army I wanted to do, which is very Imperial Navy focused. To keep things balanced, it'll be a mix of flyers, Scions (to be Navy Security), and conscripts to represent crew having a lasgun shoved in their hands (likely Necromunda Orlocks).

I want this list to be somewhat competitive, and the current meta seems to have large numbers of infantry to lay down shots and rely on odds over AP. I'm very sure over time the meta will change, however the Vultures can always swap loadouts.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Milotic posted:

Because we are playing to have fun. It's not like he is surprising me with it or anything, we talked before hand. The only issue that I have is that I just can't figure out how exactly to kill the bastard. He is super durable, can't be picked out, and hits like a loving truck. So it is kind of like a fun, but terrifying puzzle. I'm hoping I can position my Vulture in a way that allows me to give him all 40 punisher shots, but those rerolling rear end cannon razorbacks are going to be a bitch. Shame I can't start the Vulture in reserve.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

jadebullet posted:

I have a casual game today with my wolves going up against Ultrabros with rear end can razorbacks and Guiliman.
Thats about as far from casual as things get.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
There is absolutely nothing wrong with bringing a harder list like that for a friendly game if your opponent is aware of it and OK with playing against it as Jadebullet clearly is.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Milotic posted:

Well you see, GW was all about improving balance in the game! They even brought in outside help. So all reasonable options are balanced, including lord of wars. With the new system of everything being able to wound everything, all Power Levels are equal Power Levels.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

richyp posted:

I gave GW money

RichyP! Beautiful painting as always. Welcome back

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

jadebullet posted:

Because we are playing to have fun. It's not like he is surprising me with it or anything, we talked before hand. The only issue that I have is that I just can't figure out how exactly to kill the bastard. He is super durable, can't be picked out, and hits like a loving truck. So it is kind of like a fun, but terrifying puzzle. I'm hoping I can position my Vulture in a way that allows me to give him all 40 punisher shots, but those rerolling rear end cannon razorbacks are going to be a bitch. Shame I can't start the Vulture in reserve.

Pendent posted:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bringing a harder list like that for a friendly game if your opponent is aware of it and OK with playing against it as Jadebullet clearly is.

Yeah, fair enough if they've had the conversation beforehand. I'd describe it as cheesy (which is no bad thing if both sides are aware of it and desire it), just not "casual", but I think I'm splitting hairs. Normally I'd suggest agreeing on a custom mission that sidelines or lets you ignore single big bad units, but Gulliman's bonuses are pretty good for that too. Also even if you kill him, he might just get back up again. Swarm him with conscripts to lock him up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

FAQs have been updated: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/23/updated-faqs-and-boots-on-the-groundgw-homepage-post-2/

Big change to Flyers straight away:

Page 215 – Sudden Death
Change point 2 to read:
‘If at the end of any turn after the first battle round, one player has no models on the battlefield, the game ends immediately and their opponent automatically wins a crushing victory. When determining if a player has any units on the battlefield, do not include any units with the Flyer Battlefield Role – these units cannot operate within a combat airspace indefinitely and they cannot hold territory without ground support. Furthermore, do not include any units with the Fortification Battlefield Role unless they have a unit embarked inside – even the most formidable bastion requires a garrison if it is to pose a threat.’

Also a neat solution to the "understrength units" thing:

"If you are playing a matched play game, you can only include an understrength unit in an Auxiliary Support Detachment."

Artum posted:

Thats about as far from casual as things get.

He means "casual" as in "just a one-off game with my friend" not "casual because we're both bringing fluffy bunny lists."