Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/jimmy_dore/status/889175643061137409

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also amusing is chuck's statement that single payer is "on the table" rather than an integral part of tomorrow's policy release
To be honest a higher up saying it's on the table is at least a change for the better than them saying no single payer ever because we're capitalists.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

quote:

Not because people think it is literally about sex

Sure. Yes. Not because of that at all. People just see stuff about groups having disparate levels of power and it makes them think of oral rape sex being demanded from minorities. Naturally. Because they are normal.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

ThndrShk2k posted:

To be honest a higher up saying it's on the table is at least a change for the better than them saying no single payer ever because we're capitalists.

Yeah I was trying to think of the words for this. It's a foot in the door.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

the dems were beaten on that slogan: http://abetterway.speaker.gov

someone on dailykos suggested "the real deal" for a dem slogan and that's 1000x better imo.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Twinkie posted:

I can't remember the last time I was this hyped to be disappointed. There's a chance that it's just some water-down version of the 2016 platform, but the Democrats have been specializing in creating means tested, bureaucratic nightmare policies that help no one for decades. They could really bring their A game.

it's gonna take a lot for me to be any more disappointed in the democrats than i already am, and i'm in it in some sort of official capacity.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Real deal can be a campaign slogan. It's snappy

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Real deal can be a campaign slogan. It's snappy

Yeah, I was thinking Biden could run on that one.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

deadgoon posted:

the clinton/obama wing needs to get on their knees and suck bernie's dick

huge, if true

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i might've picked the wrong sci-fi novel

lmao zuckerberg is gonna use player of the games as the ideological bedrock of muslim genocide

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

lmao zuckerberg is gonna use player of the games as the ideological bedrock of muslim genocide

Elon Musk is also obsessed with the book.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ThndrShk2k posted:

I'd say it's a better line then "single payer will never ever happen."

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
zuck has a secret plan to defeat the azadians folks

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Venom Snake posted:

He was referring to the quoted person from All The Single Ladies I think

the quoted person is describing reactions by other, unnamed people, not that it will save her from the vicious, deadly subtweets of the Grey Wolves

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

i can see how zuck would relate with the main character (gurgeh) who is a bored guy, and who is basically uber-rich since he lives in a full-automated post-scarcity economy with unlimited resources.

then he leaves it for adventure which ends up, spoiler alert, destroying a society by becoming its emperor though mastery of political game-playing

Zuck relates to the Minds

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Homeless Friend posted:

zuck has a secret plan to defeat the azadians folks

This eligible bachelor learned one neat trick. EMPERORS HATE HIM!!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've been playing a lot of Damage and i'm going to make all of my political opponents extremely horney, while I, the last true Volcel, shall win

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Venom Snake posted:

A lot has changed since 2009; and I'm only saying that because chuck at the very least seems to realize that the party is going to get hosed if it doesn't wake up

Schumer still has his name on some of the worst poo poo that had dems voting for like this year. I'm still not sold on it being anything but performance to avoid a nasty primary.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I agree with this take on the new dem slogan:

quote:

A Better Deal.” Sounds pretty “Okay.” It is the nice conflation of the 80 year old “New Deal” along with the bipartisan, moderate, temperate and very adult Third Way which recognizes the importance of the status quo of Wall St, health insurance companies, banks and all the other industries that have vast government lobbying. It’s not a “Good Deal,” it is just a better deal than a really bad deal. “Don’t expect too much, there are lots of factions that need to be kept happy.”

No doubt, it will be a reiteration of the Democrats to continue with Third Way policies, so well loved by serious thinkers and the American voters.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

i might've picked the wrong sci-fi novel

elon musk also likes ian banks' stuff. im sure banks is thrilled to have neoliberal shitheads as his fans.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/889165473195188226

the replies lmao

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

if sanders feels the need to run again then something has gone horribly wrong

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

elon musk also likes ian banks' stuff. im sure banks is thrilled to have neoliberal shitheads as his fans.

Well he's dead, so he never has to know.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh Snapple! posted:

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide."

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Oh Snapple! posted:

Pretty much. Probably means that establishment dems aren't planning to actually change anything. They're gonna wrap up the same old Obama/Clinton incrementalism in new branding.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Taintrunner posted:

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide."

Totally not a cult guys

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Bernie twitter: "Dumbass hillary fans think politics is harry potter lol"

also Bernie twitter: "When you think about it, Bernie is p much a wizard from a book"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I was first turned on to the Culture series by a Dark Enlightenment reactionary who praised the books in spite of the degenerate anarcho-communism. There's something about the Culture books that's just innately appealing, I guess because Banks takes the implications of its science and politics very seriously, but also because he doesn't necessarily portray the Culture as an objective good in itself. Other civilizations have pretty justifiable philosophical reasons for why they don't want to become a part of the Culture.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jeremy Corbyn: Student debt write-off not a commitment

quote:

Speaking on the Andrew Marr show, Mr Corbyn said his remarks during the election did not amount to a "commitment" to erase student debt and the party would be expanding on its position in the near future.
"I did not make a commitment we would write it off because I couldn't at that stage," he said.
"I pointed out we had written the manifesto in a short space of time because there was a surprise election but that we would look at ways of reducing that debt burden, recognising that a lot of it is never going to be collected anyway and try and reduce that."
"We never said we would completely abolish it because we were unaware of the size of it at the time," he added.

:thunk:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

i might give the Culture books a read

i havent been able to enjoy scifi stories since I finished Malazan. fantasy is mostly a cynical, nihilistic circlejerk and i dont actually care about the science in most scifi poo poo, i just want fantasy novels ~in space~

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
my favorite part of the culture series is how all of the protagonists are people who got bored of the culture and joined the organization that lets u murder people

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
it was bad enough when we had zegermans posting in this thread now hamprince is here too? christ.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the rise of "wypipo" as an attempted slur is hilariously pathetic and hypocritical

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

the rise of "wypipo" as an attempted slur is hilariously pathetic and hypocritical

wypipo, the unholy enemy of wakanda

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

1) Dems have not unified w/MedicareForAll (upcoming shills Booker and Kamala included)
2) "Better Skills" lol
3) RussiaGate is still a priority for some reason
4) Dems and Dem leaders continue to be terribly unpopular
5) Dems still don't have a solid progressive message

Bernie is going to run because he has no choice. Dems are a gently caress

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Oh Snapple! posted:

yes its called the democratic party

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkman Fanpage posted:

it was bad enough when we had zegermans posting in this thread now hamprince is here too? christ.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Totally not a cult guys

I'm happy to see he's probably going to run again but he hasn't earned my vote yet until I see what the rest of the candidate field is looking like, and among the Bernie voters I'm familiar with, the vast majority of them share my stance. Someone younger and more lefty is going to pop up eventually and they're going to get my vote most likely

The memes about Bernie coming back are mostly tongue in cheek and I know you know this and you're attempting a false equivalence between that stuff and the Democrats' fight songs and endless books about how incredibly qualified and glorious Her Majesty was

Anyway the replies to @TheHill are p good. I like the ones that are trying really really hard to be neolib feminist gif sassy

https://twitter.com/NCAlwaysWithHer/status/889173729586159616

https://twitter.com/maclauren70/status/889173643267198977

:ironicat:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
prepared to button mash Buttigieg! on election day

• Locked thread