Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Concatenation posted:

I don't know how I feel about this. I quite like them as design objects but as guitars ... very no

looks like someone glanced at a bongo and said "you call that a toilet seat? NAW BUDDY, THIS HERE'S A TOILET SEAT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
So somehow Ibanez RG1570 with an Invader fitted poorly by myself, a busted Boss ME50 set to Metal Zone into the clean channel of a Peavey Bandit totally nails the Mellon Collie distorted tone. Been annoying the neighbours by playing Bodies 3 times in a row.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I keep going around in circles trying to come up with an absolutely filthy distortion noise that doesn't end with "nope, that's too much, the amp just sounds like it's on the toilet" like I'm thinking "do I need another pedal or a different pedal or something more boutique or weird or do I run an overdrive INTO another pedal etc"

My amp's alright, it's something I'm going to upgrade eventually, but it's easier to think about buying a $100 stompbox than it is a $600 amp

also bodies is still rad as gently caress

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Allen Wren posted:

I keep going around in circles trying to come up with an absolutely filthy distortion noise that doesn't end with "nope, that's too much, the amp just sounds like it's on the toilet" like I'm thinking "do I need another pedal or a different pedal or something more boutique or weird or do I run an overdrive INTO another pedal etc"

My amp's alright, it's something I'm going to upgrade eventually, but it's easier to think about buying a $100 stompbox than it is a $600 amp

also bodies is still rad as gently caress

Assuming you're already using a guitar with high output pickups, and an amp kinda oriented towards a high gain tone:

Dime the gain, low, and high, then fiddle with the middle knob. I've always discovered that around 1:30 to 2:00 is where the sweet spot is but to each their own.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The ME50 just has bass and treble controls on the distortion section, if either of them go above 1 o'clock on even the most benign setting you're in for a world of hurt.

Spanish speaks truth though, its easy to forget the guitar is primarily a midrange instrument and that is where you will benefit most from tweaking.

I think it was either Dimebag or Kerry King who used a ten band eq pedal set to 'frowny' with the low and high cut right down and the mids boosted to max into the amp with pretty much the reverse settings on the amp eq.

The full size Metal Muff (not the mini, which my brother had) is one of those pedals I will never sell, its got such a range of voices for horrendous amounts of gain and is about £50

Edit: putting an SD Invader in the bridge was the biggest positive change I've ever made in my hunt for gain

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I think it was either Dimebag or Kerry King who used a ten band eq pedal set to 'frowny' with the low and high cut right down and the mids boosted to max into the amp with pretty much the reverse settings on the amp eq.
I've been trying to get a classic Slayer tone in Amplitube. The spiky mids are easy but balancing the low end between flabby and brittle has been tricky. I'll have to give the "take it away, then put it back" approach a try.

Edit: Is that the "Metal Muff with Top Boost" or is that a different pedal?

BDA fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 22, 2017

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The 'with top boost' is the full pedal yeah, there's one or two smaller variants. The top boost needn't go above maybe 1.5 out of 10 when engaged, it adds a very different character to the sound. Its good for kicking on for a solo or making some horrible noise.

If you are using Amplitube 4 the Brit9000 is the emulation of the JCM900 aka the Slayer amp, that'd be a good starting point. Whoever that eq thing was its more "put too much in then take some away"- loads of mids in then carve it out.

To philosophise briefly (and not directed specifically at Anime Reference, just some thoughts I've had rattling round today) , it's always a good learning experience to attempt to figure out other people's sounds, in the same way it is good to learn other people's songs/play style. Just don't let it become an exercise in comparison and frustration.

My lack of taste is fairly well documented on these here forums, I chose an Ibanez RG and stuck an Invader in it because I really dig Wes Borland's sound, I wanted that world-eating low midrange sound as a basis for my own music (and the V8 pickup it came with stinks). Can I get my guitar to sound like the tones on, say, My Way, Hotdog or Counterfeit when meticulously modelling his rig in Amplitube? Kinda. But I'm not Wes Borland. Or Devin Townsend, Munky, Satriani or whoever else is my favourite guitarist of the week. Learn the elements of their sound you like, how they achieved them, so long as it stays fun. As Tegan and Sara said, "if it's not fun, don't do it".

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 22, 2017

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
http://picosong.com/vyVF/ First attempt. It was crazy harsh at first but then I tried switching to both pickups (whaaaat) and I think it ended up pretty decent.

Well. Decently Slayer-ish, which is not a normal person's "decent".
It might actually be a little too distorted, I'll have to do some more tweaking.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Assuming you're already using a guitar with high output pickups, and an amp kinda oriented towards a high gain tone:

Dime the gain, low, and high, then fiddle with the middle knob. I've always discovered that around 1:30 to 2:00 is where the sweet spot is but to each their own.

This is going to sound incredibly stupid, but yeah, that's probably the problem right there. I'm playing a stock Tele into a mid-80s Crate that has a great clean section but the dirty side is this weird thing called the SCG Channel which is okay but unimpressive and doesn't take to being overdriven very well imo.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 23, 2017

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Allen Wren posted:

This is going to sound incredibly stupid, but yeah, that's probably the problem right there. I'm playing a stock Tele into a mid-80s Crate that has a great clean section but the dirty side is this weird thing called the SCG Channel which is okay but unimpressive and doesn't take to being overdriven very well imo.

Bingo. You can tame a high gain guitar with a soft neck pickup but you can't get a low gain guitar to butch up and put out a decent high gain tone. The amp is kind of a different story but still in the same section of the library.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Teles are really good for high gain though

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

Teles are really good for high gain though

It is possible but really only for post punk or black metal high gain stuff.

Completely different subject, but has anyone ever noticed that whenever something wants to seem dark/moody/epic there's a cello involved? I just rewatched the last season of game of thrones and lots of the music reminded me of dark souls, which yeah I know is a dorky association but the two seem to want to tell the same kind of story and have similar music.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Death metal, doom, it's all possible with the right amp. Tele bridge tones are like Les Paul's chiseled down into a scalpel. Of course nowadays I'm cheating with a BKP Piledriver but even with the stock I was nailing it.

But now I'm remembering how bad I need an HH made purely for modern high gain though :( thx

And yeah. I'm a sucker for cello. I've heard that it's the closest a stringed instrument gets to the human voice and I can hear that. It's effectively haunting and gets right into my lizard brain.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I've heard the same thing about the tenor saxophone (minus the stringed part, obviously). All I know is I never want to hear a Stirring Horn Theme ever again. No other instrument has been so thoroughly ruined by soundtrack hacks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've considered putting some sort of a humbucker in the neck (I'm not down here playing heroic leads) position for ages, that'd probably be a start. I just assume I'm going to completely gently caress something up if I do.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Speaking of figuring out other people's sounds, Bloodbath's RTC guitar tone has always been one of my holy grails because it sounds so incredibly nauseating, and also because of how wrong the signal chain is - HM2 into a lovely Digitech GNX2 Marshall amp/cab sim and then Voxengo Curve EQ with the EQ ripped from Left Hand Path. Also for my money one of Akerfeldt's best dirty performances.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There's so much metal I would love if I could turn off the vocals. :sad:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

There's so much metal I would love if I could turn off the vocals. :sad:

yeah fruity power metal is weird like that

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
M-M-M-M-M-M-Metal Zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI3SkN40MNg

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Concatenation posted:

Speaking of figuring out other people's sounds, Bloodbath's RTC guitar tone has always been one of my holy grails because it sounds so incredibly nauseating, and also because of how wrong the signal chain is - HM2 into a lovely Digitech GNX2 Marshall amp/cab sim and then Voxengo Curve EQ with the EQ ripped from Left Hand Path. Also for my money one of Akerfeldt's best dirty performances.

Somewhat related, I just won a Zoom 9050 on ebay. For those NIN Broken/Downward Spiral guitars and vox. lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Concatenation posted:

You got a picture of the eq that you ripped from left hand path?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
professor frink here to talk to you about what "transparency" really means in the context of guitar tone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vRXQxdPmEM

hoyvin glavin

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Muppets On PCP posted:

professor frink here to talk to you about what "transparency" really means in the context of guitar tone

hoyvin glavin

youtube listed this as next on the autoplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL06nFv_rx8

just click it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Not so much stupid music poo poo as :chloe: music poo poo, but two people from the concert now own a sock that smells like Bruce Dickinson's sweaty feet

Also show was good, I was hoping to see either powerslave​ or number of the beast and I got both :eyepop:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Spanish Manlove posted:

just click it

(unless you're at work, in which case, dont click it)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Muppets On PCP posted:

hoyvin glavin

This was done by plugging straight into the desk and overdriving it, but back then the desks were valve driven so it works well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGLGzRXY5Bw

Spanish Manlove posted:

just click it

This dude had a massive meltdown recently, he seems to do that every few months

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

This was done by plugging straight into the desk and overdriving it, but back then the desks were valve driven so it works well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIiu0JI3I5g

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

You can play high gain with single coils, but any heavy style with palm muting is gonna need a bucker.

Imo stupid music poo poo it how many people don't understand how a baxandall eq works and write gear with them off because 'no mid control'.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

field balm posted:

You can play high gain with single coils, but any heavy style with palm muting is gonna need a bucker.

Imo stupid music poo poo it how many people don't understand how a baxandall eq works and write gear with them off because 'no mid control'.

lol wtf. Baxandall eqs are rad as hell.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
i assume these people are used to marshall/fender tonestacks and don't realise how little control they have over the mids compared to a baxandall

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST1Gwj0f550

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I love this kid

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hell yeah. Was it a Foo Fighters song before? Green Day?

edit: Green Day. I like his Metal Stares.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

This isn't stupid music poo poo but I love at the end

"Can your pickup do that?" And then he chuckles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPtv14q9ZDg

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahahahahahaha

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That lead to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLoHcVRg0CI

edit: it wouldn't be Yngwie without inappropriate shredding

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dirt
May 26, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oo2H-W7d6A
I kinda want one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

I love this video.

"Hey, it sounds like a strat, a-hyuck!"

Yeah, The whole concept of tonewood is totally a real thing and definitely not made up bullshit for extracting money from bluesdentists.

• Locked thread