Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

OhDearGodNo posted:

Would Casandara yellow work as a wash for an orange like this?

Ratskin Flesh? I just used Reikland Fleshshade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
War Hornets is off the loving chain.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Dropped into the Bath GW to pick up some paint and I asked the guy about the single Primaris magazine. Sorry no, we're sold out. No, we don't have the 3-dude set either, sorry.

Then as I'm paying the guy says 'hey, I have a single Primaris for you' and just turns around and picks a sprue out of a box. Thanks for doing me a solid, unknown GW staffer - the Iron Hippos ride!

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Corrode posted:

Dropped into the Bath GW to pick up some paint and I asked the guy about the single Primaris magazine. Sorry no, we're sold out. No, we don't have the 3-dude set either, sorry.

Then as I'm paying the guy says 'hey, I have a single Primaris for you' and just turns around and picks a sprue out of a box. Thanks for doing me a solid, unknown GW staffer - the Iron Hippos ride!

How sweet does free stuff from gw taste

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

a cock shaped fruit posted:

How sweet does free stuff from gw taste

I have no idea how to process a positive experience in a GW store, if the guy had vomited up an egg I'd have been less surprised

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I love this thread, and not just because it's doing wonders for motivating me to learn how to paint Space Barbies.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Only if you are a big dork who can't appreciate how good SHADOW CHAMPIONS is as a name

Shadow Champions is a dope rear end name (though not as good as War Hornets) I just keep thinking up dark color schemes that I don't especially like with that name, but I will continue to mull it over.

Hummingbird James
Jan 3, 2013
Been working on my STRIKING MEDUSAS Intercessor; needs a bit of tidying and highlighting and I need to figure out what I'm doing with the base, but so far I'm pretty happy.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Hummingbird James posted:

Been working on my STRIKING MEDUSAS Intercessor; needs a bit of tidying and highlighting and I need to figure out what I'm doing with the base, but so far I'm pretty happy.

nice bigly, but it's hard to tell with the fog rolling in.

Hummingbird James
Jan 3, 2013

OhDearGodNo posted:

nice bigly, but it's hard to tell with the fog rolling in.

Yeah, the only camera I have access to is kinda poo poo. Otherwise, thanks!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Feeling pretty good about the REGAL SKULLS. The purple turned out really good, if a bit messy, and I think the bone will be a great combination with it.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

It's super lame, but savage barracudas is even lamer so I'm kinda hosed.

You can always roll again and make your life even more difficult!

mango sentinel posted:

Can I get a reroll on my name if I'm hard mode out the gate?

Did you want me to try again?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You can always roll again and make your life even more difficult!

loving hell, ok let’s go for it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It's super lame, but savage barracudas is even lamer so I'm kinda hosed.

Shame on you Barracuda buddy!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Zark the Damned posted:

Shame on you Barracuda buddy!

I’m just too picky!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the SNARLING LIONS. You must use WARPLOCK BRONZE and are banned from using RAKARTH FLESH.

If I spent some more time on it I'd tidy up the highlights and give it some shades but that'll have to do as I'm tired of layering teal (Warplock Bronze is on the shoulder trim and the eagle).

Paints used:

code:
Grey primer

Teal Bits:
- Sotek Green - Everywhere
- Drakanhoff Nightshade wash - Everywhere
- Sotek Green again - Leaving darkened recesses (only have a base/starter brush so it was easier than a pin wash)
- Temple Guard Blue - Full Edge
- Baharoth Blue - Inside edges and middle of curves
- Ulthuan Grey - Few areas inside above highlight

Bronze Bits:
- Warplock Bronze
- Agrax Shade
- Warplock Bronze again
- Liberator Gold - Edges
- Ulthuan Grey - Dotted here and there to dull metals and tie other colours

Bone bits:
- Zandri Dust
- Ushabati Bone
- Ulthuan Grey

richyp fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 23, 2017

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Fckn nice

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
It seems like the Battle Wizards are going to be a bit late to the party, on account of my local store being totally sold out of First Strike and the magazine.
I suppose there might be some witty excuse to be made about them arriving exactly when they mean to.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The Frenzied Skulls are in progress. Here is a sergeant. Arms and eagle are done. Have black armor, head, and equipment to finish.

And a lot of cleanup to do.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 23, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Did you want me to try again?
Nah, I think I've figured out a palette with a blue to brown sunset gradient, just gotta figure out panel separation.

I would like a second hard mode chapter to do alongside this one though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

You are the SPACE ENFORCERS. You must use SCREAMER PINK and SCREAMING BELL and are banned from using THE FANG and LEADBELCHER.

mango sentinel posted:

Nah, I think I've figured out a palette with a blue to brown sunset gradient, just gotta figure out panel separation.

I would like a second hard mode chapter to do alongside this one though.

You are the DEATH SAINTS. You must use AVERLAND SUNSET and are banned from using BUGMAN'S GLOW.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

richyp posted:

If I spent some more time on it I'd tidy up the highlights and give it some shades but that'll have to do as I'm tired of layering teal (Warplock Bronze is on the shoulder trim and the eagle).

Paints used:

code:
Grey primer

Teal Bits:
- Sotek Green - Everywhere
- Drakanhoff Nightshade wash - Everywhere
- Sotek Green again - Leaving darkened recesses (only have a base/starter brush so it was easier than a pin wash)
- Temple Guard Blue - Full Edge
- Baharoth Blue - Inside edges and middle of curves
- Ulthuan Grey - Few areas inside above highlight

Bronze Bits:
- Warplock Bronze
- Agrax Shade
- Warplock Bronze again
- Liberator Gold - Edges
- Ulthuan Grey - Dotted here and there to dull metals and tie other colours

Bone bits:
- Zandri Dust
- Ushabati Bone
- Ulthuan Grey

loving awesome!

GreenMarine posted:

The Frenzied Skulls are in progress. Here is a sergeant. Arms and eagle are done. Have black armor, head, and equipment to finish.

And a lot of cleanup to do.

Man I really like how that red and white scheme came out.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the DEATH SAINTS. You must use AVERLAND SUNSET and are banned from using BUGMAN'S GLOW.
gently caress YEAH!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the SNARLING GUARDIANS. You must use CERAMITE WHITE and are banned from using MACRAGGE BLUE.

My thoughts so far: The Snarling Guardians are an Ultima founding chapter using Space Wolves geneseed.

The base color is steel, shoulder pads and helmets are white, the trim, elbow pads and kneepads are red, and the chest eagle is silver.

The same thing with yellow trim might work too, and look a bit less like an apothecary:

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.
The yellow version looks awesome and eye-catching, do that one!

Everyone's models are coming out looking beautiful.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the SPACE ENFORCERS. You must use SCREAMER PINK and SCREAMING BELL and are banned from using THE FANG and LEADBELCHER.

These guys have to be the hot cops of 40k

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Giant Ethicist posted:

My thoughts so far: The Snarling Guardians are an Ultima founding chapter using Space Wolves geneseed.

The base color is steel, shoulder pads and helmets are white, the trim, elbow pads and kneepads are red, and the chest eagle is silver.

The same thing with yellow trim might work too, and look a bit less like an apothecary:

Definitely the yellow trim.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
I'm keen. Hardmode please.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chiwie posted:

I'm keen. Hardmode please.

You are the BATTLE SLAYERS. You must use STEEL LEGION DRAB and are banned from using CALEDOR SKY.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Definitely the yellow trim.

I guess someone likes Cyrax better than Sektor.

So I've got some preliminary designs down

SHADOW CHAMPIONS are a Raven Guard successor chapter. Their signature battle tactic is to strike from the direction of the setting sun. Appearing to the enemy as grim silhouettes, it's anything falling within their long shadows will be destroyed. Their chapter badge is a setting sun.

DEATH SAINTS are a Salamanders successor chapter. With a battle doctrine focused on close assault, the Death Saints view melee combat as an artform to be perfected and celebrated. A Death Saints battle is carried out with festivity and revelry that the Eldar Harlequins might find a touch familiar. Their chapter badge is a crowned skull.

I'm accepting notes on these. My biggest concern is I don't know what the gently caress to do with eye colors. I kinda like the red on the Shadow Champions but the ones I've got on the Death Saints are basically just placeholders. I'm gonna get some easy build Reivers for these guys, and might scrounge some additional Blood Angels bits for the Death Saints.

Edit: remembered I'm banned from Mephiston on the first one and it feels like using Khorne red is disingenuous, so I definitely need a new eye color. I'm making the badge yellow, maybe the eyes too?

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 24, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the BATTLE SLAYERS.

Reroll this and you aren't allowed to participate any more imo.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
REGAL SKULLS Update!

Got some paint on the model. Next step is to finish up the purple metal highlights, get the boltgun done, add details, and then base. Looks good but I think I might have seen better results with a more white bone color. The cream just feels off.

I think I am going to make the skulls on the chest and gun pewter, but I am wondering if I need to add more. The boltgun will have steel parts, and the base will also open things up, but do I need more?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I don't think you do. Maybe a purple helmet stripe, if anything.

Those colors work really well together.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I also feel the colors are nice together. The cream is such a wonder juxtaposition of the metallic purple. I think the bone color needs darker recesses and brighter highlights to make it really pop. Also, they are SKULLS so black eye sockets would not only please Moola but also be more skullfull.

They are the REGAL SKULLS though, so a small dash of some monarchistic classic gold/silver/platinum might make them that much more kingly (for the biggly). Shoulder pad rim, knee/shoulder caps, backpack trim (like the plating on the bulbs), aquillas. Comedy option: golden face plates.

These could all be very bad suggestions.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Giant Ethicist posted:

This was going to be the Iron Hippos scheme OC DO NOT STEEL

InsaneCheese
Jul 24, 2017
I'm in if this is still running, I need something to break up painting my Tau.

Hard Mode please!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I kind of want the regal skulls to have a gold ring around their helmets.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the BATTLE SLAYERS. You must use STEEL LEGION DRAB and are banned from using CALEDOR SKY.

JBP posted:

Reroll this and you aren't allowed to participate any more imo.

Well poo poo. Better roll with it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is it wrong that I imaging these guys as like super aggressive pacifists who turn up to battles with signs and poo poo saying DEATH TO WAR? Chapter badge should be a peace sign.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

Is it wrong that I imaging these guys as like super aggressive pacifists who turn up to battles with signs and poo poo saying DEATH TO WAR? Chapter badge should be a peace sign.

Battle Brother Chamberlain is a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zark the Damned posted:

They need to have a banner of a naked woman with two axes riding a giant boar through cosmic fire.

• Locked thread