Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Winter Stormer posted:

Final Fantasy XIV is a real and good MMO which has facial emotes as well as the regular MMO bullshit emotes. Here's my catgirl demonstrating "/ouch" during /blackrangerposea in front of some shifty dude the latest expansion added.

(Sorry for darkness, it's night in game)

There's a bit of fuckery going on at Square Enix regarding FF14 right now, though; apparently they've hiked up the rates for non-NA subscriptions something fierce and people are pissed about it. I'm talking like up to 320% more a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

And then there's Katherine Johnson — the OG computer:

…as in, the person who computed the launch windows, orbits, return paths and everything else that made space flight safe(ish) for everything from Mercury to Apollo to the space shuttle program (and who double-checked the machine calculations, because you can't fully trust those with something that important).

Let us also not forget Ada Lovelace, often cited as the first computer programmer.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Yes this has been my opinion for a long, long time.

The huge majority doesn't play it at all.

The people who already bought in are mostly mitigated, forced to use cumbersome Spectrum, reducing their communication ability.

Somebody on discord was talking about their role play stuff, and it's been spotted on Twitter, and CIG seems to pander to it a lot. I guess I'm curious if all these people are playing the game right now via their role play stuff. Though I can't imagine there are millions of people, they probably have more fun with that than actually trying to role play inside the game.

Curiously enough, one of CIGs big pushes has been immersion and apparently feeding the role playing community they have, but I have not seen any moves towards making the game itself role play friendly. Things like modeling liquid in a glass is the absolute dumbest poo poo, and won't help anybody be immersed, role play, or have a better gameplay experience in any way. The most they have for role play immersion is a global chat window and emotes. The emotes are also seemingly of the usual useless MMO variety like dancing and saluting.

They keep promoting their facial animation, but it's in regards to motion capture movies. They should be trying to press the boundaries and allow users minute control over facial features, like small smiles, knowing winks, clever things that no MMO (that I know of) have done before to feed a social role playing community instead of a action based one.

With CIG maybe launching with next to nothing to keep players out occupied, the role play community is their best hope to keep fanning the money flames.

Ultimately though CIG is just a glorified Photoshop sales simulator, trying to see and test how lovely of a Photoshop can sell to set the bar for how much effort needs to go into a Photoshop before people will not buy it. The car they're selling is worse than some fan Photoshops now, but it's still selling.

I can't wait for Kairosoft to make a sequel to Game Dev Story and call it JPEG Dev Story, where you make crappy JPEGs and sell them to idiots while attempting to not run out of money.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Hypatia of Alexandria has them all beat imo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypatia

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Combat Theory posted:

Titanic, I think it was C-Bag who asked me about my thoughts on Derek and I mentioned there that actually the strongest argument against cig is the game on people's computers. That has been the case for the better of 2 years now (since the introduction of the PU, the gameplay quality has been in a constant downward spiral). I mean I looked through this thread for many months from the outside and I think what sticked to most people is the videos of pgabz doing basic stuff in the PU that looks absolutely hilarious already because the game design and code execution are so bad.

Now imagine you don't just scratch the the surface of the game but you actually go in and analyze the whole behavior, networking and game stats with payoff for pvp in mind. You find absolutely horrible poo poo. And you don't need a big happening to expose that. It's on people's computers the moment they download the game. There are so many horror stories to be told I think I deliberately forgot half of them.

But just let me make an example shall I? One of my favorite issues, the desync

Star citizen uses a technique called spline based prediction, which means that for the movement of other ships over network, your client uses additional information like speed, acceleration and even jerk (the change of acceleration over time) to interpolate or predict the movement between networking updates. If you know the flight parameters of the ship (another great story of cig hose ups by the way) and the refresh rate of the network updates, you can calculate the worst case positional desync for a given ping.

Let's say you play international with 200ms of ping. After some mechanical mumbo jumbo you reach a positional desync max of 15 centimeters for an agile fighter.

Sounds pretty good honestly, especially considered that this desync is a singular event and despite any ping can be held at zero as long as the player on the other end doesn't change his flight inputs.

But not for cig.

Fidelity first in mind, cig introduced a time buffer into the prediction code. This time buffer allocates a certain amount of movement lag between the physical ship and it's visual representation. It intentionally desyncs the visual ship from the actual combat code so to speak. All for havin the fidelity of smooth movement on your client.

This comes with huge tradeoffs. Their entire combat model is now desynced from the visual happening by a distance of speed*time buffer. Usually between 20-70 meters.

That means their entire procedual damage model (which is shader based on the ship model), their targeting solutions, their hit registration and hit recognition, their entire combat model... Is off by a ridiculous amount. Stuff like the damage model or explosive projectiles which use check physics with either three visual or the physical model simply refuse to work. You can't use explosive projectiles in multiplayer. The damage model doesn't display in multiplayer. And it has been that way since late 2015.

This is the water on the Mills of us who say the game is doomed. Much more than any dubious happening behind the scenes. Everyone can see this. Everyone can experience this.

I had no idea about this. It's so CIG, though, it's amazing :allears:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Is that buffering what people were seeing when doing latency tests? I remember they were seeing insane 400+ ms delays on a 35ms latency connection in the FPS.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Combat Theory posted:

Talking about women in computer science, I'm sure some of you already knew the story of Margaret Hamilton, but for those who don't, she was the programmer for the Apollo guidance computer. Here's a picture of her with the printed out source code that she wrote for it.

https://github.com/chrislgarry/Apollo-11
heres the the code she wrote

Combat Theory posted:

Titanic, I think it was C-Bag who asked me about my thoughts on Derek and I mentioned there that actually the strongest argument against cig is the game on people's computers. That has been the case for the better of 2 years now (since the introduction of the PU, the gameplay quality has been in a constant downward spiral). I mean I looked through this thread for many months from the outside and I think what sticked to most people is the videos of pgabz doing basic stuff in the PU that looks absolutely hilarious already because the game design and code execution are so bad.

Now imagine you don't just scratch the the surface of the game but you actually go in and analyze the whole behavior, networking and game stats with payoff for pvp in mind. You find absolutely horrible poo poo. And you don't need a big happening to expose that. It's on people's computers the moment they download the game. There are so many horror stories to be told I think I deliberately forgot half of them.

Star citizen uses a technique called spline based prediction, which means that for the movement of other ships over network, your client uses additional information like speed, acceleration and even jerk (the change of acceleration over time) to interpolate or predict the movement between networking updates. If you know the flight parameters of the ship (another great story of cig hose ups by the way) and the refresh rate of the network updates, you can calculate the worst case positional desync for a given ping.

Let's say you play international with 200ms of ping. After some mechanical mumbo jumbo you reach a positional desync max of 15 centimeters for an agile fighter.

Sounds pretty good honestly, especially considered that this desync is a singular event and despite any ping can be held at zero as long as the player on the other end doesn't change his flight inputs.

But not for cig.

Fidelity first in mind, cig introduced a time buffer into the prediction code. This time buffer allocates a certain amount of movement lag between the physical ship and it's visual representation. It intentionally desyncs the visual ship from the actual combat code so to speak. All for havin the fidelity of smooth movement on your client.

This comes with huge tradeoffs. Their entire combat model is now desynced from the visual happening by a distance of speed*time buffer. Usually between 20-70 meters.

That means their entire procedual damage model (which is shader based on the ship model), their targeting solutions, their hit registration and hit recognition, their entire combat model... Is off by a ridiculous amount. Stuff like the damage model or explosive projectiles which use check physics with either three visual or the physical model simply refuse to work. You can't use explosive projectiles in multiplayer. The damage model doesn't display in multiplayer. And it has been that way since late 2015.

This is the water on the Mills of us who say the game is doomed. Much more than any dubious happening behind the scenes. Everyone can see this. Everyone can experience this.

interesting stuff i take it you went digging into the code to know this.
Do you happen to know how much of this is done client side?
and is there anykind of anti cheat process slowing this thing down?

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Dark Off posted:

lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sindai posted:

I can't wait to slowly carry crates of salvage one by one from a wreck onto my ship. If there's one thing I crave in an action game, it's hours and hours of crate carrying. Bet those idiots who designed every other game ever to let you put stuff in your inventory with the press of a button are feeling pretty stupid now.

Old man Murray is going to loving jizz in his pants when 3.0 drops

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Obviously SC needs console support so the plebe-scrubs buying in at a laughable $70 can carry my master race crates onto my ship for me.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Dark Off posted:

interesting stuff i take it you went digging into the code to know this.
Do you happen to know how much of this is done client side?

I am by no means a coder or software expert so even if i could, Star Citizens and Cry Engines Spaghetti Code would just be a giant mistery to me. for all i know Access to the source Code is bullet Proof.
What i know stems from over 3 years of trial and error, as well as the nature of Cry Engine games to off load all their stats and data into XMLs. These XMLs are encrypted but there are Cry Engine Tools to decrypt them (and also encrypt them again).
The Decryption was fairly simple as the Tools for that were publically available. People with much more talent for software parsed the Data into google sheets and made a statistics website for it. (google Star Citizen DB).
Funny Enough, the Dev Leak by Disco Lando contained the secret Encryption Keys as well, which opened Star Citizen up for horrible XML hacks (people shooting Torpedoes from Racing ships and the like)

Most of my knowledge stems from the analysis of the Bulk Game Data as well as i said, 3 Years of Trial and Error.

Oh and this is far from the worst of stories that you will find if you dig your head into this Data... but thats for another time.

E: this page lacks a good laugh

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 23, 2017

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

Talking about women in computer science, I'm sure some of you already knew the story of Margaret Hamilton, but for those who don't, she was the programmer for the Apollo guidance computer. Here's a picture of her with the printed out source code that she wrote for it.

So that's the character Amy Farrah Fowler is based on. They even got the fashion sense right.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hawt.
Also explains why the print-out is so… well… tall — that's a lot of lines when you also figure that the original is probably teletyped or something to that effect, with a pretty appalling number of lines per page.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 23, 2017

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Tippis posted:

Hawt.
Also explains why the print-out is so… well… tall — that's a lot of lines when you also figure that the original is probably teletyped or something to that effect, with a pretty appalling number of lines per page.

I love that the source file for the master ignition routine is called "BURN_BABY_BURN--MASTER_IGNITION_ROUTINE.agc"

https://github.com/chrislgarry/Apollo-11/blob/master/Luminary099/BURN_BABY_BURN--MASTER_IGNITION_ROUTINE.agc

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

The Titanic posted:

They keep promoting their facial animation, but it's in regards to motion capture movies. They should be trying to press the boundaries and allow users minute control over facial features, like small smiles, knowing winks, clever things that no MMO (that I know of) have done before to feed a social role playing community instead of a action based one.

It's been done, as far as I recall. As has everything else. Because it is 201X.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Combat Theory posted:

I really don't think that is true. It seems a bit an unreasonable number of pages.

Edit: Because women can't code. In case you missed that in my post.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 23, 2017

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Sillybones posted:

I really don't think that is true. It seems a bit an unreasonable number of pages.

Edit: Because women can't code. In case you missed that in my post.

You can apparently read the code that is being printed here, in PDF form. it's 88M in size, so it must be like thousands of pages long. Seems reasonable to me.

Einbauschrank posted:

So that's the character Amy Farrah Fowler is based on. They even got the fashion sense right.

Now that I look at it, it does strike a very good resemblance.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Combat Theory posted:

But not for cig.

Thank you friend, and fabulous example!

This is literally the stuff all of us here are waving our collective hands about, but nobody seems to get it.

No matter how many YouTube videos CIG make, no matter how much lore they pour into it, or how pretty they can get their models to look, the game itself is broken.

And even if you consider everything CIG wants to do with it, it really kind of sounds like a boring and terrible game.

Throw in the fact that they've already gone down the Pay2Win/Play road and I just don't get it.

But everything outside of what's playable now is speculation. As you know, it's broken. Core features that should have been nailed down simply aren't. They're building an arena shooter but thinking they can tweak it enough to be an eve style twitch MMO.

But despite every red flag, they still make money hand over fist. It's the amazing juxtaposition of Star Citizen. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

his nibs posted:

Found a connoisseur cat, who appreciates fidelity

Mr.Topcat. :3:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

you still haven't figured it out

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
shart some shitizens out of a black hole

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DerKuma/status/888783088179961856

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
I dont care about the game i just wanna watch new atvs forever

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sillybones posted:

It's assembly language, it takes a lot of code to do even simple things.

And flying a rocket to the moon isn't a simple thing.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Especially if you want to bring it back afterwards.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The motion blur on most of those shots is making me sick and they're still photos

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Meridian posted:

I do have a little bit more insight into MoMA's posting style though now. Am...I MoMA? Maybe he was inside us all, all along.

There's a little bit of MoMA in everyone.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

It's true, I did eat some toast earlier.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Winter Stormer posted:

Final Fantasy XIV is a real and good MMO which has facial emotes as well as the regular MMO bullshit emotes. Here's my catgirl demonstrating "/ouch" during /blackrangerposea in front of some shifty dude the latest expansion added.

(Sorry for darkness, it's night in game)

This is a great example. I've heard a lot of really good things about FFXIV, including it's sordid past and how the developers needed to come to terms with that fact and just rebuild it.

The key ingredient there was realizing your magnum opus wasn't that great and doing something different. I'm not sure CR has that sort of capability, but with infinite money and infinite time anything is possible.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ManofManyAliases posted:

I find a coffee at ten am helps shift it.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
There is nothing good about FF14 or any other themepark mmo

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ew. No, sorry.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

Come hang out so I can make a robot man out of you, soldier!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

yeah, uh-huh.

G0RF posted:

Anecdotal claims of cig-affiliated leakers running bogus disinfo campaigns to Derek -- all with cig's tacit approval -- have been a two year recurring claim on /dereksmart. What amazes me is the gleefulness some there take in the thought. It would be bad news for cig, not good, were it true.

If they have colluded with parties in that fashion, endorsed efforts to misinform their most notorious critic in his ongoing war of words against them, then they look far worse than he does for the effort. It speaks so ill of their basic judgement and corporate character, as if they needed any more evidence to pile on the stack.

Anyone familiar with their public record at this point can point to myriad, irrefutable examples of dishonesty and incompetence. Bad leaks because "muh Puppetmastering" (strokes beard, nods approvingly) don't dilute the case against cig, they distill it, so if there's even a smattering of truth to it, they'd be wise to clamp down on their gleeful congratulators. It may appear mad clever to the zealotry, but to most far less invested in the "War Between Saintly Chris & Evil Derek" narrative, it looks like as unseemly as stupid, and cig doesn't need to rock that look any more than they already have.

:five: post!

Funny thing is, they really believe the poo poo lies they're telling. In all two years, they haven't shown a SINGLE instance of me being wrong about anything. And as soon as you ask them for proof, guarantee, this is what they will come up with:

1) He said they would collapse in 90 days (in 2015)

2) He said Star Marine wasn't in 2.6 (in 2016)

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 24, 2017

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Someone in discord just said, "Those who didn't back star citizen and buy a package before release will have to pay a monthly subscription. Get rekt non backers."

What's he talking about, fellow rektfolk?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kromlech posted:

There is nothing good about FF14 or any other themepark mmo

I've tried MMOs but I've never stuck with any because I feel like I don't have that addictive personality they require. I get bored after less than a week and just hang it up.

I considered Wildstar because I thought the characters looked cute enough, but the thought of a WoW clone was dull. I tried the first MMO FF and it was less than stellar. That was pretty much my ending foray into MMOs.

I play console games a lot more than pc games though. I've just beat Horizon and it was really really fun and looked really phenomenal pretty much constantly. I'm looking forward to the expansion a lot. I'm churning through FFXV because I get a kick out of the whole boy band thing and it's been really fun for an FF game. The twist on modern stuff from the world today has been cute and creative. It also looks phenomenal and I feel like the world is huge and I can see veeeery far. Very impressed!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Kromlech posted:

Someone in discord just said, "Those who didn't back star citizen and buy a package before release will have to pay a monthly subscription. Get rekt non backers."

What's he talking about, fellow rektfolk?

I think we witness the evolution of counter-FUD right now.

What will happen next? Goons asking citizens to stop spreading FUD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Combat Theory posted:

I think we witness the evolution of counter-FUD right now.

What will happen next? Goons asking citizens to stop spreading FUD?

Checkmate goonie.