Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Revival series two rewatch continues. The Cyberman two parter was awful, but The Idiot's Lantern and the Satan two parter were good. Maybe this era of the show wasn't quite as lovely as I remember it being.

Oh right Love and Monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I feel like when I remember Tennant's era being awesome I am not remembering most of season 2.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
it's pretty horrific to think that women can't be role models for boys

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Plavski posted:

Well I guess the argument then is 'why do girls need women to be represented if gender doesn't matter'. Clearly it does matter, but I feel like to be on the 'boys are losing out' side you'd have to believe either that representation doesn't matter (and I think it does) or that men and women are already equally represented so nothing needs to change (ha).

I mean when I was growing up I most wanted to be Al from Quantum Leap, but my main Doctor Who-based love was Ace. I still kind of want to be Ace.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The one argument I can see in favor of that 'boys are losing a role model" thing, is that the Doctor is surprisingly non-violent for a male role model. But I feel like that's an indictment more of male role models in media than a proper criticism of the decision to cast a female Doctor.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

HopperUK posted:

Surely a decent male companion would be a good role model for boys? Rory was awesome. And if playing second fiddle isn't good enough, well - just wait a while or watch some of the old stuff, I suppose.

Thomas Sanders. :colbert:

"TARDIS pranks with friends!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Plavski posted:

Yeah, if young men see Jodie Whittaker and think "I want to be like her when I grow up!" I really don't see what the issue is?

HopperUK posted:

I feel like when I remember Tennant's era being awesome I am not remembering most of season 2.

Having gotten through 1-5 in my rewatch, season 2 is definitely a trash fire at times, but I think School Reunion, Girl in the Fireplace, and Fear Her are pretty good (yes, I know there's the olympics thing in the second one, it's still good), and while the Impossible Planet/Satan Pit two-parter drags a little, and has the gall to introduce the Ood as if they actually are a natural slave race, which is full-on unforgivable, it has some great moments. The Cyberman two parter, is, in the end, bad, but it has some good moments with some of the weird rebel team and Mickey, and Tennant has some pretty good monologues in it. Even Love and Monsters is pretty good right until Ian Levine transforms into the Absorbaloff, and its atrocious ending, while bad, is oversold on how bad it is.

New Earth,Tooth and Claw, and The Idiot's Lantern are really the only episodes that are completely, totally trash. New Earth is just a total disaster and Tooth and Claw/The Idiot's Lantern are boring as all hell.

I understand Jeru's complaints about Martha, but I don't think her entire character is "not Rose." I think they focus too much on her fancying the Doctor, and that in the end, she's not a great companion because of it, but that season 3 has a slew of really good episodes from 42 right up to Utopia (okay, okay, "really good" might be a stretch for 42, but I want to be optimistic about Chibnall right now).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

School Reunion makes me cry.

"You good dog."

Argh.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Love and Monsters still had the concrete slab blowjob joke, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember watching "Love and Monsters" on its original broadcast and enjoying it right up to the scene where the Doctor and Rose arrive just as Peter Kay has Elton cornered and Rose complains about Elton upsetting her mum while the Doctor stands off to the side and looks disappointed with him. That rubbed me the wrong way at the time. Now, obviously, yes, Elton was wrong to upset Jackie, but when you've spent the last five minutes or so seeing all his friends get eaten and him getting chased by the monster who wants to eat him as well, it's difficult to sympathise.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

HopperUK posted:

I still kind of want to be Ace.

She beat a Dalek to death with a baseball bat. That's a level of badassitude that remains unmatched to this day.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

On Fear Her. I can feel the Olympic Scene coming. This series has a lot of bits that are top contenders for worst bit of the revival.

Since I've been complaining about RTD a lot, I'll say something nice about him. His efforts to make the companions actual people with lives are really welcome. Carrying on the good work that started with Ace.

Wyld Karde posted:

She beat a Dalek to death with a baseball bat. That's a level of badassitude that remains unmatched to this day.

Yeah Ace was the best.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCkDXegqjR0

You. Had. ONE. loving. JOB. MOFFAT!

ONE. loving. JOB.

Don't you dare pull another Hell Bent on us

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Gatiss' acting is the only thing more mediocre than his writing. Really wish he'd stop trying.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCkDXegqjR0

ONE. loving. JOB.

The ever so slight differences between the outside of 12's and 1's TARDIS are very interesting. I suppose it's an accurate representation of the police box model Hartnell used?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Carbon dioxide posted:

The ever so slight differences between the outside of 12's and 1's TARDIS are very interesting. I suppose it's an accurate representation of the police box model Hartnell used?

It's the style of Tardis that was used from Tenth Planet on, yeah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well that's not how I expected it to go at all, and it doesn't look all that go-OH poo poo PEARL MACKIES IN IT! :neckbeard:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Gatiss' acting is the only thing more mediocre than his writing. Really wish he'd stop trying.

I really enjoy his acting, so I'm pleased as punch :)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

ONE. loving. JOB.

Did you miss the end of the last episode or something? Bill is already not dead.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I'm probably being a bit unfair, but Moffat giving his friend title card billing in his final episode really rubs me the wrong way. But I also can't stand Gatiss so I'm biased.

Especially compared to the last two Christmas Special regeneration episodes, this seems really underwhelming.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Does this mean.. the Olympic dream is dead???

Christ it's worse than I remember, if that's possible.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

marktheando posted:

Does this mean.. the Olympic dream is dead???

Christ it's worse than I remember, if that's possible.

please stop triggering me

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

marktheando posted:

Did you miss the end of the last episode or something? Bill is already not dead.
By 'pulling a Hell Bent' I mean having a character that had a satisfying ending come back and potentially screw it up, thus dragging the rest of the episode down in the process

Fingers crossed it's a stop-off on his farewell tour and the Doctor doesn't get all hung up on her like Rose or Clara

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

By 'pulling a Hell Bent' I mean having a character that had a satisfying ending come back and potentially screw it up, thus dragging the rest of the episode down in the process

Fingers crossed it's a stop-off on his farewell tour and the Doctor doesn't get all hung up on her like Rose or Clara

To be honest, I'd be more upset if the Doctor died/regenerated without knowing that Bill was all right.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Gatiss getting a final trip around the Tardis is a nice reward for the years of work he's done for the show. I can't imagine he'll be working more in Chibnell's era, so I'm happy for him

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

HopperUK posted:

please stop triggering me

It's ok I've made it to the finale two parter now, I don't remember anything too terrible from that.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Epic.

Is Mark Gatiss really playing a young pre-cyberman Brigadier?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

Epic.

the character blurb mentions WWI era so fortunately it's someone new

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vinylshadow posted:

Didn't Bill say at the end of The Doctor Falls that the Doctor would see her again?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Plavski posted:

Gatiss getting a final trip around the Tardis is a nice reward for the years of work he's done for the show. I can't imagine he'll be working more in Chibnell's era, so I'm happy for him

Why not? Has Chibnell or Gatiss said that Gatiss won't be writing any more episodes?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AndyElusive posted:

Epic.

I don't think so. The battlefield looks WWI-era, way too old for a Brig appearance. Depending on UNIT dating, Brig was born in the 20's/30's.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I'm calling that he's the Meddling Monk.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Stabbatical posted:

Why not? Has Chibnell or Gatiss said that Gatiss won't be writing any more episodes?

It's probably all going to be down to how Chibnall's "writers' room" approach works out whether there are many guest writers during his time on the show, though I'd be surprised if there were none.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Stabbatical posted:

He said he hopes he will but he has no idea. Chibnell hasn't talked to him about anything and he says that chibnell has an entirely new writing team which he's not involved with.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
If it's a Christmas episode set in WWI, then we're probably going to be visiting the battlefield where both sides called a one-day cease-fire for Christmas. I don't know where that was exactly, but I know the British were one side of it. That's a pretty fantastic setting for a Doctor Who episode, I think.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Cleretic posted:

If it's a Christmas episode set in WWI, then we're probably going to be visiting the battlefield where both sides called a one-day cease-fire for Christmas. I don't know where that was exactly, but I know the British were one side of it. That's a pretty fantastic setting for a Doctor Who episode, I think.

Man, if 11 was there he would play football along with the Germans and the French and the British, but no, we have to have two grumpy old men being there.

Excited to see how 1's style of lone adventuring would mesh with 12's style, though. I'm not that familiar with the First and I've consumed more of Companion Chronicles than his actual TV serials, but it seems that 1 (and 2) affects the worlds he's in in a subtler way compared to the modern Doctors. Like in Rocket Man, where his way of defeating the enemy is mostly letting his companions handle the enemy for a bit while he improves on the city's defense systems. Then again, maybe that's just that specific Companion Chronicles, but man, I love Rocket Man.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Vinylshadow posted:

By 'pulling a Hell Bent' I mean having a character that had a satisfying ending come back and potentially screw it up

Hell Bent was Clara's ending :confused:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

...you know, I was convinced that was Hitler in the trailer, from that really unfortunate mustache.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ford Maddox Ford?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

The thing that annoys me about the "Boys losing a role model" more than anything is that even if it were true, it's not forever. We're going to have a female lead for what, an average of three years. And once we're done, I doubt the BBC are going to go with 12 more female incarnations of the Doctor to balance things out.

Let a female lead shine for a while (or god forbid, actually wait till we have an episode or two to watch before condemning the idea). Eventually you'll have your male role model back again. Or, you know, rewatch some of the 50+ years where the Doctor was a male role model. Unless all that's somehow invalid now.

• Locked thread