Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glocknar
May 17, 2017
If there is one universal law, almost everyone likes free poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Water magic has some really good spells to be honest. The laser and twin lasers can wreck poo poo. Multiple hits, and I think they pierce. And the skill gets upgraded when you use your watering can so it should be a decent level by the time you get the spells. Wind spells are a bit of a pain since they feel so... random really. Or just delayed. They work really well against you because of that though. Outside of that, get the spell that heals status problems. So loving useful.
I would say in RF3, magic is a bit under par compared to just stuffing three feet of steel between something's breakfast and dinner, but it is by no means useless like it was in RF1 and 2.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Baa Humbug

Music: Spring

I start the day by using up yesterday's milk. Ice cream has immense water elemental powers somehow, and butter can be used for further cooking assuming you don't just eat the stick like the goddamned animal you are.

I also have an escape attempt! OK, not really - monsters at low affection will try to run away from you, and this is what happened when I tried to catch up for its morning brushing.

Link really needs to buy a lock for the barn door.

Is it really okay to hit the wooly?
I know it's not supposed to hurt. But it still looks like it can't be much fun for the wooly. Let's go give it some candy afterwards.
Okay!

Oh, right, Wooly festival.

Would Woolies taste like mutton, or something else? :thunk:

The festival wooly is small, too. That's why it's shaved in a different way.
How about just casting a spell to shave them? (Maybe that's going too far.)
No.

Like for boiled spinach.
What?!

...let's just go do the festival.

The wooly must be hot and miserable in this heat! That's why you should do it a favor, and trim its wool! We'll provide the trimming tools to you. They're all safe and won't hurt the wooly, so don't worry.

You do get your choice of weapon, and each one is a joke version of its category. Slower weapons give more points than faster ones. I wouldn't recommend using weapons you're not skilled in, since combos can help, but...

...after trying with the Safety Lance, Toy Hammer, and Spoon, the joke dual blades are what got me a win. The safety lance attacks quickly but doesn't give quite enough points per hit, the hammer was too slow, and the spoon wasn't quite good enough.

The pro strategy is to trap the wooly against a wall and stunlock it. Actual wooly furballs drop during this, but if you care about winning you don't really have time to pick them up.

After a while small woolies will start appearing on the stage. They give no points, so they're just there as a nuisance.

:toot: Sakuya came in second with 6000 points, for the record. The prize is a pile of Cooking Bread, as usual.

Speaking of, there's an NPC wandering around today selling some. It's a lot more expensive than Blaise, but you're not limited in how many you can buy per day. Handy now that we need to use Blaise's bread allotment for medicine/weapon/accessory breads too.

So were you just waiting there for us to take the request out of our mailbox, or

Oh no. Not this "assistant" business again.
You're turning out to be a pretty good assistant!
Uh, you don't really listen much to what other people say, do you?
What? There's no time for that! This is a crisis!
My shelf broke!
Umm...so you need it fixed?
No! That's my job! I need you to bring me materials! I need 1 piece each of Iron and Wood.
Okay. 1 piece each of Iron and Wood.
Alright! Now go!

One quick jog to the storage chest later...

Here's a token of my appreciation. I knew I could count on you! You're a super-duper assistant!
Um, I know I said this before, but I don't recall becoming your assistant.
Heh heh heh. You don't need to act modest. You do an amazing job! You should be proud!
I hope I can count on you next time!
*sigh* I guess I'm not going to win this one.

She might be insane, but the rewards are good.

I never showed off what happens if you walk into the Univir camp as a human, so why not now?

Why are you here...?! Please leave!

Welp. Back to town!

I see. You would be a big help. I'd like you to get a message to Shino.
To Shino? What did you want to tell her?
"The Eastern tableware you ordered has arrived." is the message.
Okay.
I would appreciate it if you could tell her soon. Thank you.

She was a minute's walk away, you lazy bum! :argh:

Yes, what was it?

Hey kids, can you remember what the message was?

Oh, that's good. Thank you for the message.
You're welcome. Excuse me, then. Alright, back to Blaise.

This isn't much, but it's to show my appreciation. Please take it. I hope that you would do this for me again sometime.

No pic of the reward, but I think you've figured out the trends by now.

Let's talk pharmacy. I don't actually know any recipes yet, but that doesn't mean I can't make stuff! I believe there's a penalty to the success chance this way, but it doesn't matter since I'm making one of the simplest potions. Smash together two medicinal herbs, and...

...you get a recovery potion. This unlocks the recipe, and also reveals that there are two ways to make these. Using Toyherbs to make them is kind of useless except for grinding skill, since medicinal herbs are insanely common.

New day, new bad idea with Pia.

Wait. I never said I would join. Actually, what would I even be joining?
A stand-up troupe.
Stand-up?
I thought we could start doing stand-up routines to attract customers. But to be honest, we could use some help, so I thought we'd look for another member. So!
Welcome, Link!
Welcome!
Is this going to work?

Wait, I never even agreed to do this...
Just try to hit the right punch line! Oh, and I know it's called a punch line, but don't really punch us.
Why would you even...?
Pia didn't get it at first and tried to punch me in the face.
She did?!
I thought it'd be more of an impact.
It would've. Anyway, just try to get your timing right.
For the punch.
No, the slap.
You mean the punch line.
Yeah, that's good! Well, let's give it a try.

:allears:

Hi, thanks for waiting. I'm Sakuya.
I'm Pia!

There's only one real option here.

Oh, really?!
Of course not. Hey, you're the straight man!
Sorry...I missed the cue.
Well, thank you for coming out to see us. You must all have a lot of free time.

10 points.
What?! What's that?!
But having free time isn't all that bad.

Guess I should have rinsed and repeated?

I'm still doing introductions!
Oh, sorry...
That's right. It's the squid's fault!
What is?
Learn from the tuna!

I guess you can have too much free time. You end up wasting it on who knows what.
Like stand-up!
...yeah...

How was it, Mom? Oops! I mean Ms. Innkeeper?
Very funny.

Um, sure.
I guess three is just too many. Mom seemed to like it, but she is my mom.
See, Sakuya had fun, too! It's all thanks to you, Link. So thanks!
Umm...you're welcome.
It might've been best if we all decided what part we were each going to play beforehand.
It's really fun to do it with everyone! Well, see ya!

Our reward is squid. What else were you expecting?

Time for something slightly different. You've probably noticed the L-R INVITE showing up during dialog screenshots.

Once a villager gets a few hearts, you can invite them with you. Some are a lot more useful in combat than others, but I'm going to drag Pia around for a different reason.

That reason isn't the gigantic fish she uses as a weapon.

Drag her outside, remove her from the party so we can talk to her normally, and...

...we finally get her in mermaid mode. We would have eventually caught her like this without forcing it, but it's a bit silly how long this has dragged on.

Was this the first time you've seen me transformed?
Yes...
Oh. Well, I'm a mermaid, okay?! I want to eat some Squid.
Why?!

:ms:

There's plenty of those in the forest. This shouldn't be hard.

Might as well grab cologne while I'm here. Men like this scent, like Shara just said.

Okay, so...you've seen a lot of monsters, right?
I sure have.
Um...
?
I'm looking for a particular.monster.
Which one?
It's a wooly.
Oh, sure. Those things are all.over Privera Forest.
No! It's not just a regular wooly. I'm looking for a special wooly that wandered into town a while ago. It was on the day you came to town. It collapsed right in front of our flower shop. I brought it inside and tended to its wounds. But when I took my eyes off of it for a second, it disappeared. I looked around everywhere, but I couldn't find any trace of it. I'm worried that it's still out there somewhere, injured.
It's probably fine by now. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. Uh, was there something special about that wooly? Something unique-looking?
Yes! It was a very strange wooly. It had golden wool, a blue scarf, and a funny hat that looked like the top of an acorn.
?!
What is it?
Uh, um, ah, it's nothing!.N-N-N-Nothing at all!!

Link: Master of the poker face.

Have you seen it?!
No! Definitely not! I've never seen it in my entire life!
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure?! Never?
No, never! In fact, I haven't seen any woolies lately. I can hardly even remember what they look like!
I see...What a shame. I just want to know that it's okay.
I-I'll tell you what. Let me go take a look. Maybe I can find your wandering wooly.
Huh? But I thought you hadn't seen any woolies lately.
Uh, I think I'll be able to find this one. Trust me. I've got a good feeling.
Okay. Thank you.
(Okay, let me think...that wooly she's desribing...that has to be me. I see. So that was Shara's house that I woke up in. What should I do? She's so worried about that Wooly. I've got to let her know it's okay. I'll transform and talk to her.)

She'll never suspect a thing.

Are you okay?!
Baaah!
Oh, thank goodness. I was so worried about you after you disappeared like that!
Bah.
Are you getting enough to eat? Do you have a warm, comfy place to sleep?

Bah, bah.
That's great!
Bah.
Oh, that's right.

Bah, bah!
Tee-hee.
Bah, bah bah! Bah! Bah!
Oh, are you going already?
Bah!
I see. That's too bad.
Bah, bah.
Come by and see me again sometime. I'll have some delicious cakes waiting for you.
Bah!
Take care!
Baaaaaaaaaah. (Whew. Maybe I'll transform back and talk to her.)

See? A flawless plan.

Listen! That golden wooly just came to see me!
Really?!
Yes! I was so surprised! It was so cute! So soft and fluffy. I just wanted to hug it!
I-Is that right?
What is it?
N-No, it's nothing.
Really? I feel like there's something you aren't telling me...anyway, I saw my wooly, so I owe you a Formula A.
Oh, that's okay. I didn't do anything.
Please, I insist. I have a feeling you did a little more than you're letting on.
But...
No arguing! It's yours.
Well, thank you very much.
I'm the one who should thank you.

Okay, maybe she suspects a little.

Back to the crafting grind. Yarn is a slight value improvement over raw wool, but is also needed for other recipes.

And the most important part of crafting, shoving a bunch of poo poo onto your weapons and armor so they're better. Each material has different bonuses it can add, along with different difficulty. Difficulty also rises as a given piece of equipment increases in level(ie. has more poo poo stapled to it).

At the end of my session, the shield looks like this. Much better!

Music: Monster Village

It is the symbol of the region.
Is it an old tree?
Yes, according to legend, people here gathered around it. It might have been here since the beginning. It would be nice to get it to bloom.
What was that?
N-No, it's nothing. I'm sorry, I just remembered I had to do something.
???

Definitely Not A Plot Hook.

Let's try taking a request over here for a change.

Uh, sure. You know me! For the settlement!
Excellent. So, we're running out of fish in the settlement.
Well, we ARE in the middle of a desert. Not exactly an ample supply of ponds!
Indeed. Summer fish are about the only option.
Makes sense. But you'd like a more diverse selection than that?
We univir once had access to entire rivers and oceans.of fish. I need to recapture that proud history. I want fish from seasons other than summer. Spring Masu Trout, fall Pike, and winter Pond Smelt. Could I ask for these 3?
That's...quite a haul! But I think I can manage it. I won't disappoint you.
I wish you luck, comrade. Our proud settlement awaits news of your success.

...yeah, not happening.

In a small mercy, the winter area(which is also the hardest area) lets you fish from the monster-free initial screen. The fall area also has a monster-free path to fishing. But I really don't want to wait until I catch all those fish to take more requests, so I'm just cancelling this for now. They'll be caught when I have time.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

I'm... reasonably certain you're not supposed to make ice cream with your bare hands. Also, wouldn't unflavored ice cream be kinda boring?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CptWedgie posted:

I'm... reasonably certain you're not supposed to make ice cream with your bare hands. Also, wouldn't unflavored ice cream be kinda boring?

People eat whipped cream straight-up. And every small child I've known is absolutely fanatical about milk.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

CptWedgie posted:

You can get unflavored ice cream. It's okay if you're really into the taste of cream.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I like that none of you are questioning where the cone comes from. :v:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Haifisch posted:

I like that none of you are questioning where the cone comes from. :v:

It's repurposed from the milk carton I assume.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

From...from loving where, Sherman?

Sherman is clearly the most powerful person in the village, able to best a very large sheep, so I respect him.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Sherman is clearly the most powerful person in the village, able to best a very large sheep, so I respect him.

If you consider how other people apparently participate but you don't see them while you do the minigame, then you must assume that he doesn't acquire one very large sheep but multiple large sheep for everyone to participate in! :thunk:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, Sherman's got money, and money is the answer for everything.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Over in another video game series, there are some Monster Hunters who made a lot of money off a quest to capture a giant sheep.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Monster Black Panther Person is my fav person by far.

Can we romance her? I forgot

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Monster Black Panther Person is my fav person by far.

Can we romance her? I forgot

Yes, you can romance Kuruna.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Sweet & Sour

Music: Town (Day)

Let's see what this terrible character's up to.

Link decides to troll Rusk along the way:

I heard an eccentric king used to bite into Green Peppers before holding jousting tournaments. If they're fit for a king, they're fit for you.
Wow! I didn't know kings even bothered with vegetables...

Oh, and it's Evelyn's birthday today. Basically everyone hints we should give her fish.

W-Why do you know something like...?
Now, I wonder why?

Well, I wanted someone to kill some time with. Because I'm busy.
You must have a lot of free time...well, let's go around town together.
No.

Let's go then.
No.

Field trip time! This entire quest is running around until you step in the right area to trigger a scene.

I've hardly ever been to this apothecary.
Oh, really?
Marian works in the apothecary. And Marian likes giving shots...
Do you hate shots?
I l-love them of course! Never again!
She really must hate them.

It's very ugly, isn't it?
It's very pretty.
This is where Wells will sign you up for any festival calling for participants. Hard to understand, isn't it?
Yeah, it's easy to understand.
You can see the ocean beyond the trees.

It feels great...

That normal building is where a nice lady runs her inn. A girl who hates traveling runs the gift shop, and a mermaid runs the bathhouse.

Chef...? Oh, she must mean Blaise. Sherman likes Blaise's cooking, too, doesn't he?
No. And the inn orders all of its meals from the chef as well. She's got lousy taste!
However...I find the sous-chef odious.
Sous-chef? Odious?
How can she eat so much and not get fat?
Ah, Collette. So the opposite of odious would be jealous.
She eats whatever she wants, and never gets fat. How odious.
It's the opposite...right?

That's...not really the opposite, but at least Link got the point.

Evelyn's hanging out in the inn, so I get her birthday gift out of the way. She loves yarn despite her allergy to normal clothing materials.

A+ text box fit.

This rockets her near the top of the affection charts, but everyone is so close that doesn't mean much.

Yes, it is quiet.
Hmmm. I really hate places like this. I hate it. So I hope you invite me again.
Y-yeah...

I'm not scared.
Okay.
...Really not scared.
Are you...uh, yeah. It's nothing.
Okay then.

The brother really hates the little sister, and he is always distant.
Emotionally?
Yes. He's cool and calm. Like a librarian.
Librarian???

This quest is literally just "Link shows he understands opposite speak, except this bit where he doesn't." I hate it.

Could that be Shara? Then the opposite of cold is warm.

What? Ummm...the laziest person...least talkative person...
They're both honest girls, but...
Both...isn't the opposite...So if they're honest then...
They're actually bad people.
Ah! So confusing!

Finally, we're done.

Take it easy on me...

Our prize is lots of protein-rich food to get SWOLE with.

Remember Rusk's request from several updates ago, where he wanted this? Well, Link can make it now, so might as well get out of the way.

Yeah! That's it! Sweet Powder! Thanks, Link! Oh, good. Thanks, Link. Here, this is for everything.
Thanks. Wait, you didn't use that Sweet Powder to make this, did you?
What? Oh...That's right, we had some in the house.

I mean, it has been a coulple in-game weeks since he first put the request out. Not a big surprise he found some. :v:

Let's take the longsword for a spin again.

This dash attack is alright. Not great, not terrible, just kind of alright. Which is how I feel about the longsword in general - it's just kind of eh.

New day, grass finally starting to grow in along with one sad little onion.

Raven? Wanting to talk? Something must have gone horribly wrong here. We have to investigate.

I see......
Raven?
...Take me.
What?
Take me to Vale:Icy Rosebush.
Oh, yeah. Vale:Icy Rosebush, right? Okay.

We make it over, but there's a Wooly hanging around the frozen hellhole for no apparent reason.

Music: Drama

...It's okay. It's okay. It's only scared because we're scared of it, too. It's scared of being feared...
So....Don't get too close.

The Convenient Drama Wooly takes its leave.

You, too...
What?
You should stay away from me, too...
Why...?
...Everyone who gets close to me just disappears.
That can't be.
It was a while ago...I came to play here with a friend. But--she disappeared. ...Right in front of me.
...!

I...I don't want to be with you any more.

So today was......my last request.
What...?

...well.

How about that Karina, eh?

Hmmm...?
Sorry to wake you.
Oh...it's okay. (I was having such a nice dream, though.)
You posted a job request?
A job request...? Oh right. About a delivery.
Uh, yeah. There weren't a lot of details.
Oh, that...(I forgot all about it.)
What?
I need you to get a pendant from Sofia. I'm too busy to go myself.
Weren't you just sleeping?
Well, yeah.
How does that qualify as being too busy?
I was too busy sleeping. Seems pretty obvious to me.
*sigh* Okay. I'll go get the pendant from Sofia.
Great. Thanks. (Maybe I can get back to that dream.)

...why are we helping her, again?

Karina asked me to pick up a pendant from you.
No.
What?
Here you go. This pendant, right?

What's the matter?
Um, nothing...
I see. Anyway, it's not important, so please tell her to be careless.
Wait, what?
She needs to be careless with it. Don't tell her that.
Oh, okay. Got it...I think.

And since we happen to be here...

(...What would Gaius do in this situation? Oh, that reminds me. Wasn't there a letter from Gaius in my mailbox...?)

There wasn't before, but there probably is now!

Hmm.
Good morning.
*yawn*....Yeah, good morning.
Sleeping on the job again?
Yes...Uh, I mean, no, I wasn't.
You already said that you were.
I was copying Sofia.
But you said "good morning."
I meant the opposite.
So you meant "good night"? You're going to bed?
Hmm...maybe? (Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.)
...Anyway, I got you the pendant.
Oh, thanks. I'll take it, then.

Let's open up our inventory and hand it...wait, what the gently caress?

...I guess there's no arguing with personal taste.

Here, Karina.
Oh...thanks.
It was really no problem. I could've almost done it in my sleep.
What?
Hmm?
(Was that a crack about me sleeping?)
Oh, and Sofia said that you should be careless with that. But I think she meant...
Yes, I know. I'll be careful.
What's the matter? (What a strange expression.)
I'm just impressed by how well you can understand her.
Why wouldn't I? I don't think there's anything weird about how she talks.
Really? I think it's pretty weird.
Oh, it's just her way. Who isn't a little weird? Anyway, here. For you. Thanks.

Thanks for helping me out.
Ah...

You can't fool me! I haven't seen the "Request completed!" box yet!

I was just giving Karina a hand.
You were? That daughter of mine...I'll bet she made you look after the.store so she could sleep!
Well, uh, not exactly. She asked me to pick up a package from Sofia. Because she was busy umm...watching the store.
I guess that's OK, then...Well, thanks for helping.
Oh it's OK. I (kinda) got a reward for it.
Oh, I see. She's usually too lazy to even pay for help, you know. You should be flattered.
Ha ha...
Well, back to work. If I left it up to her, there'd be no store!
Heh heh. See you later.

Ha ha...

That 10 gold is going to make or break this operation, I tells ya.

I mean, the first one will make you bigger, just not in the way you're hoping. :v:

Meanwhile, in Monster City USA...

HELLO! HELLO! SO TINY!
Will! I'm sorry.
Oh, no. That's okay.

Capes are the formal attire of univir. Do you mean to insult them?!
I'm sorry...
Though I suppose they are not the.most practical attire for the desert. Still, it's not so bad once you get used to it.

Why are you wearing formal attire 24/7, other than "the artists didn't want to draw more than one outfit"?

>Is it the pointy ears?

Yes, our ears are very similar to those of elves. There's a chance that we share a common ancestor, but I haven't found any hard evidence.
Ondorus, you've researched a lot of things.
Yes, there isn't much else to do around here.

Similar to the elves. And dwarves. And Raven for some reason. Maybe the pointy ears don't actually mean a whole lot.

>You mean the horn?

Yes. The horn is the source of our magical abilities.
Is that right?
Why and how our magical abilities are tied to our horns remain a mystery.

Kuruna's fishing request is on the backburner, so let's see what Zaid wants. (He won't give us normal dialogue until I finish the fetch quest that's also on the backburner)

There's a lot of stuff that this camp.needs. If you're gonna hang out around here, you're gonna have to start pulling your weight! Just watch me and follow my lead, and you'll pick things up.
Um, okay. Will do. But didn't you have a job request of some kind?
Oh, that's right! I want to you get 3 Pineapples for me. You can get them from the piney monsters if you beat up enough of them. Go get 'em!

3 Pineapples...okay!

What Zaid doesn't mention is that pineapples have a comically low drop rate. I murder Pineys for 8 in-game hours and not a single pineapple drops.

They're technically growable, but finding their seeds is rare. You can get them from dungeon chests, or by encountering a traveling merchant at the inn(who we haven't seen yet) when they happen to be selling some. I'll stick to murdering pineapple monsters.

At least with the timing on this quest I'm pretty sure it's the game going "hey, maybe you should grind some so you don't get killed all the time in this dungeon?" Still don't need it blocking me from other quests, though.

What's left of the night is spent chopping wood in frustration.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I've been playing Nier: Automata and it letting you stack drop rate stuff into the stratosphere is the best I've seen in a JRPG aside from maybe The World Ends With You.

Of course, it doesn't beat the western conceit of just, you know, having things always have what they should...

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I wonder if the pepper thing is a reference to Iron Chef.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mhAPrBddfM

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

idonotlikepeas posted:

I wonder if the pepper thing is a reference to Iron Chef.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mhAPrBddfM

It absolutely is a reference to Iron Chef. Rune Factory 3 loves its pop culture references.

hey Haifisch, can you show off the flavor text for the joke weapons once you get there?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Leraika posted:

hey Haifisch, can you show off the flavor text for the joke weapons once you get there?
Will do!

As a side note, I binge played enough to get about 5 updates' worth of screenshots, so they should be coming faster for a while. Not that we don't all love LPs that almost go a month between updates or anything. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Even if Link knows what's up with Sofia by now, I can still understand having trouble deciphering what exactly the opposite of a librarian is supposed to be.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Glazius posted:

Even if Link knows what's up with Sofia by now, I can still understand having trouble deciphering what exactly the opposite of a librarian is supposed to be.

That Chinese emperor who burned all those books? Illiteracy? A really loud person? If it's Rune Factory it's probably the last one.

I don't know why this kills me, but it does.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
A Link to the Past

Music: Spring

I guess we should figure out what's eating Raven.

Well, let's go then.
What...?! W-Where to?
Hmm, well. Sol Terrano: Sand Sea should be fine.
Ah.

Gaius hits rock with hammer until iron pops out.

Rocks are quiet, but they can be stubborn.
Ah...
They're just waiting here, waiting for someone to talk to them. That's the only way they know how to be.
But no matter how stubborn they are, you just need to talk to them. Warm them in the fire, and tinker away at them with your hammer.
Gaius...?
Even rocks can change their shape over time. Using a hammer just speeds it up a little. But working them too hard won't work. My right eye is proof of that. They may be hard, but they can change.

This time, Gaius mines out bronze. It's a metaphor or something.

Alright, this should be enough! Let's get back then.
Oh, okay.

Gaius is probably my favorite non-dateable character in RF3. :allears:

Of course. Next time I'll ask you to watch the store!
Uh. But...
Raven has been out of sorts recently.
...?
She just stops working and stares out the window. She's waiting for someone.
Huh...?
Well, see you.

The silver and gold is nice too, I guess. Let's see if Gaius has any other words of wisdom.

I especially like the moment you pass out from the heat.
What?!

:allears:

Music: Love

Her reflection on the blade was so beautiful. Like...
Carlos, do you...like Raven?

Gaius is amazing. He's just so talented. The blade was like a mirror. Hm? What's the matter? You thought I liked Raven? No way! I won't be tied down by one woman. I'm nobody's. That's right, I'm a bad man.
Oh. I really thought for a moment there...

Never change, Carlos.

While I'm roaming around, I notice a certain someone in the inn...

Yue's a returning character from RF2. She was a traveling merchant there too, as well as a bachelorette.

Here she sells a random assortment of poo poo, and she's got a good haul today.

I snag a Big Fire spell, which lets you launch up to two fireballs in a row. I'm going to at least try to show off magic.

I also buy a truckload of accessory bread. In retrospect I should have bought some of the farming bread too, but oh well.

Keeping up with accessories is very important since the difficulty curve is more like a bunch of difficulty spikes. You can dash through areas as a glass cannon if you just need to mine or whatever, but you need to be able to stand and fight sometimes as well.

On the way to our next quest...

Father was so joyful that he decided to voice his pleasure with a song! He got in the waiter's face and sang that he couldn't feed on the powerless when his cup was already overfilled!
The scary part is...I'm sure Sherman, Sofia, and Evelyn all thought this was normal behavior!

Oh, Link, perfect.

Yeah. My important sashimi knife is dull. It hasn't been sharpened lately. I want to ask Gaius, but we've been getting swamped at work. I'm sorry, but could you go for me?
Okay. I mean, you are my fishing instructor after all. I'd be happy to help.
That's my student! I knew I could count on you. Well, then...

You know, how much work do these two even do? I guess they fish a lot, but it's not like they sell fish in their shop or anything.

Still getting the cold shoulder from Raven. Moreso than normal, I mean.

It seems like it's gotten quite dull. Could you sharpen it for her?
Ah, Carmen's knife? It's been a while since I last sharpened it. Alright, leave it to me! I'll get it nice and sharp!

Thank you very much! I bet Carmen will be happy.
Yeah. Tell her to bring it again anytime. Well, I can't guarantee that I'll be able to work on it right away.

Yes, this is it! Now I can go back to making tasty sashimi.

I...don't think it's a very good idea to be swinging that thing around right next to us.

Thank you, Link. Now let me offer you this! Link...You're kind.
What?
Uhh...hope I can count on you again! See ya!

Good news: Free sashimi. Bad news: I think Link has a budding case of Clueless Anime Protagonist Syndrome.

Y-yes?
You're pretty cute now that I've gotten a good look at you.
Huh...?

It's spreading! :derp: Quick, let's go try out our new spell in the desert!

Music: Sol Terrano Desert

Oh, now I get a pineapple.

Or five.

Unfortunately it's late enough that Zaid's gone to bed, so I'll have to wrap this up tomorrow.

Fun fact: Link has no problem going to bed as a sheep. I guess nobody's barged into his house uninvited for a few weeks, so it's probably okay.

Terrable was a boss in Rune Factory 1. Fiersome was a boss in Rune Factory 2. Ventuswill is a pancake-loving God Dragon Mayor in Rune Factory 4. I'll let you fill in the blanks on Aquaticus yourself.

I got your loving pineapples right here.

Hey, don't sell yourself short. That was no easy task! And just in time--

Ah!
Kuruna! Here.
Oh! A Pineapple. Why are you giving me this?
What do you mean "why"? You mentioned that you wanted some Pineapple!

You little poo poo.

You....You remembered me saying that?
Of course!
Is something wrong?
Um, Zaid...
Yeah?
Do you mind if I share some of this?
Well...if you want to. But why?
I can't eat all of this by myself. And food always tastes better when you share it with friends.
O-Oh yeah! Totally! I was just thinking the same thing!
Here.
Thanks!
Well, I wanted to see you, but I didn't mean to interrupt. I'll come back later. Thank you for the Pineapple, Zaid.
No problem! Any time!

Our reward is a Pineapple. Dammit Zaid.

Let's get the plot moving again.

Zaid is not very good at this for a guy who's implied to be fighting all the time.

These footprints are pretty big. Do you know what animal they belong to?
Who cares? I'm not an animal expert.
I see...
Anyway, look over there.

Be careful when you get the flower. Don't get poked by that thing!
I'll be careful.

Got it!
Great! Let's head on back.

On the way back, the normal background rumbles of the desert suddenly get much louder...

I don't like the sound of that rumbling! Let's get back to the settlement as quickly as we can!

A monster stormed the settlement gates!
Kuruna! The gate won't hold much longer!
...Can we not avoid a fight?

I am the elder of this settlement. It's my duty to protect everyone. Please escape while you can.
...Can you leave this to me?

Completely unrelated, but I never noticed the skulls on Kuruna's tent before. :black101:

What are you talking about?!
I'll be fine! I'm actually pretty confident in my own strength.
If you believe you can defend the settlement...then I leave this to you.
Kuruna, hurry!
Please, be careful!

I have five recovery potions. I'll be fiiiine.

Totally fine.

Music: VS Skelefang

Skelefang doesn't seem too bad at first. Each hit will knock off more bones, and it only has a few easily-avoided attacks.

Eventually its core is exposed.

When a glowing ring gathers around it, run like hell.

Because that's its cue to start throwing beams of lightning at you.

:siren: Mid-battle power up! :siren:

Gotta go fast.

Thankfully the lightning has a limited range, so you should be safe as long as you start running soon enough.

Zaid isn't bright enough to realize this, so he keeps charging towards it and eventually gets knocked out.

Once it starts glowing red, its attacks go from doing about a quarter of Link's HP to half, and it gains a (thankfully weaker than the rest) long-range attack in its skeletal form. My new fireball spell became my new best friend here.

Not shown: At one point I accidentally hit X and had to redo the entire fight. :downs:

drat that's some fine loot.

*pant* *pant* Got it! Time to tell Kuruna the good news!

All three of the bones that dropped are used for crafting, but one in particular stands out. :allears:

:rip:

You might wanna get Zaid to whatever passes for a medic around here.

No, I'm fine.
I'm glad you're okay.
Yeah, that was one tough monster.
But why did that monster attack us?
Hmm...did anyone recently pick a cactus flower?
A cactus flower? Yes, he just brought it back for me. What about it?
That monster is drawn to the cactus flower. It actually derives sustenance from it. That must be the reason why it attacked.
What?! So that was a Skelefang?! I thought they were all extinct. Had I known there was one out there, I would have left that flower alone. And I've caused you so much trouble.
Don't worry about it.
Well, I do still need that Cactus Flower if you have it.
Okay.

Oh, no problem!
I'm terribly sorry for involving you in all this commotion.
It's okay. You couldn't have known some giant dinosaur bones weren't extinct!
This is a token of the settlement's appreciation. Please, take it.

Oh, before I forget!
What?
There's something odd going on a little bit north of the settlement. After you arrived in the settlement, we discovered a strange orb. No one knows where it came from, and no one can remove it...It's very strange.
An orb? Kuruna, do you think it would be okay if I took a look at this orb?
Certainly. I will open the gates. Feel free to take a look.
Thank you!

But first, time to grab this eggplant I noticed during the boss fight. Priorities, yo.

Music: Mystery

Kuruna said that this orb appeared.when I came to town. How strange.

???: ...this whole town is counting on you.
Past-Link: That's what I'm nervous about. So many people depending on me...
???: Don't worry, you'll do fine! I can see it in your eyes. You've got more strength and courage than you know.
Past-Link: I'm glad you think so.
???: I know so! You've got the makings of a real hero, kid!
Past-Link: Okay! I'll do my best to protect this town!

How convenient.

And I was...some sort of guard? I was protecting a town where was I a member of the guard? ...no...I can't remember. I've got to find more orbs and get my memory back!

Well I'm sure glad I didn't teleport back in sheep form.

Lunch. Sure.

I'd hate to see it go to waste, so I thought you could have it.
What? Really?
Of course! It's yours! Well, come by to get it later.
Yeah, okay.
See ya.

Might as well get our 'lunch' now.

Ugh......Oh, Link...

Are you hurt?
Ow!! What was that!!
What's wrong?
A shadow appeared! It screeched at me, and I fell down!
Um, calm down.
Yeah, you're right...
And then what?
Well...I was carrying your lunch, and waiting outside. Then a huge shadow came out of nowhere and surprised me! So I fell, and then the shadow took the lunch I brought for you!
Lunch?

A)She just told you about it 2 minutes ago, Link. B)It is the middle of the night, so I guess you should be concerned anyway.

It's a new product! I wanted to hear your opinion of the taste. But it took it away. I guess it's good that you weren't attacked. Oh man! I put a lot of effort into making the Salted Char!
I wonder what the large shadow was?
It was all so sudden, so I couldn't really see. Sorry.
I see.
*sigh* Man, I was scared!
Interesting story...I'll look into it! If you think of something, let me know!
Yeah, will do, Link.

Hey, wait a minute!
Oh!
It went towards Oddward Valley. The customers have said they heard howling coming from there. It's a tourist spot, so I was worried that something might happen.
Oddward Valley seems like there might be something there? Okay. I'll check it out.
Okay! Be careful.

I...sure. That's one way to point us to the next dungeon.

But I can't shake the feeling I'm forgetting something.

Oh, poo poo, right.

By some miracle she's still awake.

That's how it is!

>That's right.

Huh? Did you know?

And now Link can go to bed.

Bonus!

Who wants official character artwork? You do! Today we have art of our hero Link, along with special RF2 guest Yue:

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Haifisch posted:

Rocks are quiet, but they can be stubborn.
Ah...
They're just waiting here, waiting for someone to talk to them. That's the only way they know how to be.
But no matter how stubborn they are, you just need to talk to them. Warm them in the fire, and tinker away at them with your hammer.
Gaius...?
Even rocks can change their shape over time. Using a hammer just speeds it up a little. But working them too hard won't work. My right eye is proof of that. They may be hard, but they can change.

What I'm getting from this is that Link should hit Raven with a hammer. Is that just me?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Don't you dare give that fish bone to Pia :smith:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What does hitting X do during that boss fight?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What does hitting X do during that boss fight?

Haifisch tied her teleport spell to that button.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Haifisch posted:

Father was so joyful that he decided to voice his pleasure with a song! He got in the waiter's face and sang that he couldn't feed on the powerless when his cup was already overfilled!

This gimmick can get a little old, but that particular choice of words is magical. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like how they're getting more creative with opposite day.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
:siren: Name suggestion time! :siren:

I've played far enough ahead to get access to Cluckadoodles(chickens, only not), so I'll need names for them. I'll probably grab two. Remember that the character limit is 6.

Leraika posted:

Don't you dare give that fish bone to Pia :smith:
I won't. How could I use it for crafting if I did? :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Name one of the chickens after everyones' favorite coward, Luigi.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Cucco :effort:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Popeye:v:.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And to go with it, KFC Tyson.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Haifisch posted:

Y-yes?
You're pretty cute now that I've gotten a good look at you.
Huh...?

And yet you can't marry her! :argh:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Name one of the chickens after everyones' favorite coward, Luigi.

I like this one.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

dont be mean to me posted:

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.
Too good not to use.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Corn.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Picayune posted:

This gimmick can get a little old, but that particular choice of words is magical. :allears:

If you think this is nice, strap yourself in. After all, she's marriage material! Just imagine how a love-stricken Sofia would try to explain how she feels. It's loving incredible. Sofia's the best. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Name a chicken Eggman

• Locked thread