Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Lightning grenade still best grenade

http://i.imgur.com/hR04Jmg.gifv
Pubbies still pubbin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Waffle House posted:

- A large power cable that goes into the lake.

This is actually an insanely huge hydraulic line, according to the numbers printed on the side of it. I have no loving idea what that machine is supposed to be, but it seems to be pumping something either into or out of the lake?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

limaCAT posted:

Think about these two things: they changed many things that in time even the most sad bears of youtube will learn to love again (gun balance, 4v4). The best way to win people would have been to put enough activities to make the stuff click again "aha, now I get this and that...". The second thing is that calling the old Russia demo a "one third" is a misnomer. Whoever stayed with the game saw that part of the game become tiny as new patrols, activities and story missions were added.

Maybe they did a favour to my dsl to not make me download 30 gb to play the demo but did not do it the franchise any favor. They basically gave YouTube channels, yes, the same people they courted with the DRE, a free pass to publish "The Internet has spoken, D2 is bad".

To be fair the whole "One Third" thing came about because idiots like me would play the beta, that let you play all the Earth missions and 1 moon mission were all like "Dude it feels disjointed because it's just a small selection of the total missions just on Earth!"

Also D2 has solidified my hate for youtubers and anyone who takes them seriously. Basically as soon as youtubers could upload their own gameplay footage the conversation went from "can't wait to play the beta" to "EVERYTHING loving SUCKS BECAUSE MY FAV YOUTUBER SAYS IT DOES AND ITS NOT LIKE HE ISNT GOING TO BUY THE GAME ANYWAY BECAUSE THATS HOW HE MAKES S ALIVING"

As you can see I have some disdain built up in me.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Ularg posted:

Yea that's what happened. Rasputin was charged with defending humanity. Letting the Traveler leave during time of need would have been the end for us so Rasputin did what he had to.

Nope

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

This is actually an insanely huge hydraulic line, according to the numbers printed on the side of it. I have no loving idea what that machine is supposed to be, but it seems to be pumping something either into or out of the lake?

That actually makes more sense given the composition of the cable, thank you. Maybe it's just a fresh water pump?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Only lore xboners know is how big their balls get while playing.

Very big.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Waffle House posted:

That actually makes more sense given the composition of the cable, thank you. Maybe it's just a fresh water pump?

Yeah, the thing it's running to has a moving piston. Just looks like a water pump.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
gently caress any Youtuber that refers to their viewers as "fellow guardians."

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

beta was pretty fun. I kind of like the new "attunement" sub-talent things. How many for each subclass, just 2? Expected that there would be 3 each in the full game but I only see outline of the 2nd one.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
If they want to make 6 golden gun shots good in PvE they either need to up the damage so I can at least one-shot regular cabal and/or give the shots combustion already.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ularg posted:

Only lore xboners know is how big their balls get while playing.

Very big.

The vast majority of the lore community sees Loki Crown as a contingency that was never activated.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Well I am out of date, then.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Well kinda surprised to see everyone buy a 60 dollar train wreck they've already been on before. Didn't they say the exact same thing last time about the beta being an older build even?

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

(Borat voice) "MAH WIFE!"
I think people were more excited about the beta in D1 vs D2.

Has any of the Destiny team commented that the feedback has been "unexpected", other than us interpreting the weekly update as a "dont worry guys"

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Moochewmoo posted:

Well kinda surprised to see everyone buy a 60 dollar train wreck they've already been on before. Didn't they say the exact same thing last time about the beta being an older build even?

Excuse me, I paid $100, gotta get in on that DLC while it's hot.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

@Somera your discord joke ban has obviously been revoked, although this made me realize you weren't on my friendlist yet.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
And you're on notice!!!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
https://i.imgur.com/SIkJSIe.gifv

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
My experience with Destiny 2 beta:

- Never played D1, got a PS4 a few months ago
- See beta in store, download it
- Pick a class at random because there is pretty much zero information on the class selection screen other than 'this guy has a shield' or 'this duder can dodge'
- Intro seems like it might be cool if I knew anything about what was going on or who these people are
- Shoot some guys, try to use my shield but can't figure out how to activate it after pressing every button
- Check controls settings, it doesn't say
- Accidentally activate it by holding down O
- Realize I can't shoot at enemies through the shield, it's just a wall
- Try a different class, go with the Hunter this time
- Try using dodge, holding down O doesn't do anything
- Accidentally activate dodge by double-tapping O, it's super underwhelming. 30 second cooldown?
- Use super on a boss, it's really cool. 5 minute cooldown?
- Sniper rifle is cool, but I started with only 16 shots and hardly ever find more
- Finish the intro, at least shooting mechanics are pretty solid, handcannon is fun
- Try PvE mission, join up with two pubbies
- One of them seems to know what he's doing and is pretty good, other keeps going AFK
- Try following the good guy, and fall to my death when I find out he has a jetpack glide and I only have a double-jump
- Get to the boss eventually, wipe on the second phase thanks to AFK guy being AFK again when I rez him
- Good guy drops from party, boss resets
- Start fight again, luckily someone else enters the party and we finally manage to beat the boss after running out of ammo multiple times
- Get a lovely sidearm pistol reward, turn off PS4

I realize this is a beta and not a demo, but some tutorials would have been really nice for those of us who didn't play the first game. Maybe at least a screen that told me how to use my abilities and what they did? Gunplay is tight, but some of the enemies are just enormous meatshields which has always been a pet peeve of mine.

I was hoping for a Borderlands-like RPG-shooter with a cool setting and amazing graphics that I could play co-op with my brother when it comes out on PC, but I was pretty underwhelmed. I might still get it if they make some adjustments to PvE (as I've read) and the reviews are good, but they're going to be fighting an uphill battle to convince me. I guess maybe I wasn't their target demographic for the beta since I'd never played Destiny before.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Theli posted:

- Shoot some guys, try to use my shield but can't figure out how to activate it after pressing every button
- Check controls settings, it doesn't say
- Accidentally activate it by holding down O
- Try using dodge, holding down O doesn't do anything
- Accidentally activate dodge by double-tapping O, it's super underwhelming. 30 second cooldown?

If you had taken a second to look at your skill tree, it tells you how to activate your abilities right on the perk description.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If their changes are geared towards making this game more focused on PvP then I'll buy it. The PvE content in D1 was horrible.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

And you're on notice!!!

I need to get back to posting Reddit screencaps so this has actually been a major setback

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

If you had taken a second to look at your skill tree, it tells you how to activate your abilities right on the perk description.

There's a skill tree? How do you open it?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Theli posted:

There's a skill tree? How do you open it?

Go to your menu and highlight the subclass icon next to your character's head. You can switch some active perks and also switch subclasses on the fly.

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

Go to your menu and highlight the subclass icon next to your character's head. You can switch some active perks and also switch subclasses on the fly.

Well now I feel dumb. Though in my defense, the UI is pretty minimalist and nothing is explained off the bat. Maybe I'll give it another try.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

DangerDongs posted:

If their changes are geared towards making this game more focused on PvP then I'll buy it. The PvE content in D1 was horrible.

Yeah and the tears over it are glorious.

PvP and raids are the only two things that kept destiny relevant until the taken king came out which introduced a large amount of content and better systems accross the board for levelling, questing and gear acquisition let alone better story and side quests.

The taken king expansion was really what destiny 1 should have been from the start.

The d2 beta has a lot stripped bare. There's no quest system, no bounty system, no patrol zones, minimal class tweaking, no rep, no vendors, not a lot of loot, minimal (no fresh) story and only 4 activities in total.

The pve and pvp feels really good aside from the pve cooldowns and the new subclasses once you get used to them feel tidy as well.
4v4 had me worried at first but i think it feels good after playing it for a few days.

Quick play and competitive both play very differently inspite of the fact that there's just as many players on the board. Quicklplay is a little more frenetic and fast and competitive still has that slow build up to more intense fighting.

I'm starting to get and see more grenade, super and melee kills than earlier in the beta as people adjust to the new way everything works. I've also seen and participated in games where collectively a team has put up over 120 kills in control.

If their map design is good and theres a lot of versatility in guns and archetypes it'll play extremely well with some minor adjustments to cooldowns and armor perks. The fact that timing your grenades and needing to use your super in a tactical way is imperative to success as a team is a really good design. I like that melee has been detuned to prevent dumb deaths. I can understand how its less fun than some games of 6s were but there's also a lot less frustrating bullshit. The rare super highs aren't there and wont be, but the consistent level of frustration doesnt exist either.

Skill weapons, movement and map control wins out more often now and I haven't seen a game where the outcome has been because of bullshit rather than smart tactics and better gunskill. In fact I haven't lost a game in a 4 or a 3 man team and even overcome 4 and 3 man teams as a tandem with 2 pubbies playing anchor.

I can't help but get the feeling a lot of the complaints from the beta are kind of accentuated because of what the age of triumph brought.
The loot shower
Having just about every god roll gun
Tier 12 armor builds
Pve and pvp map knowledge
Consistent buffs in pve like burns, daybreak, catapult and brawler
Sub class synergy being worked out to its fullest
Knowing every possible piece of pve content back to front
Consistently being over levelled
Having every exotic armor and weapon piece

Has all combined to make the pve seem a little less punchy and a little less fun to roll through in 30 seconds.

I think once the game launches and there's a whole lot more to do and a whole lot (hopefully) in terms of guns and armor to chase we'll see an expansion in how the game can be played and it'll be fine.

There's obviously issues with certain facets but that's why you have a beta.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

The loot chase seems non-existent. Unless they're switching a 5% chance of god roll type system to just a 5% chance certain weapons will even drop

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I could see never playing the first one would make this beta weird as gently caress to get into.

I haven't played the first one in like a year or something, but some things remains the same:
Idiot Fuckers who quit if it gets at all hard
Idiot Fuckers who quit the second it takes too long
Idiot Fuckers who load in and then don't bother moving

like what the gently caress are you doing?? Are you just trying to get as much loot as you can as fast as you can?? It's not like you'll get to keep it

Also what's a linear fusion rifle? Apparently some kind of long range weapon? I got it and had to quit.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Spartan laser type thing

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

CheeseFactory posted:

There wasn't a whole lot of shooting things in the strike. Makes me wonder if the difficulty was scaled down or if D2 is being made for thumbless morons.

I really enjoyed the crazy staircase fight in the Undying Mind strike because they throw a load of enemies at you and it's really chaotic, much like that start room with all the Fallen and Hive in the Omnigul strike. I think that's where the game excels, when the screen is full of enemies and there's supers/abilities going off constantly, orbs being sprayed like candy and everything is dialed up to 11. I think I'm probably in the minority though because people would quit the Undying Mind strike as soon as it started most of the time, which was really disappointing, but I wish they would put a lot more enemies in strikes to keep the action going.

The one thing that stands out the most in the D2 beta strike is that muddy area with all the craters, which seems like it should have four or five times as many enemies scattered about since it seems perfect for a big battle and maybe a vehicle or two as well, but instead it's just a big open area with some dogs and a small base at the end. It would be more enjoyable if those Cabal ball things were dropping in constantly with dropships unloading troops as well, or they had a mid-Strike boss with a new type of Cabal tank to fight. It's a shame there isn't really much going on.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Sancho posted:

The loot chase seems non-existent. Unless they're switching a 5% chance of god roll type system to just a 5% chance certain weapons will even drop
Since weapons & their perks (except for the intrinsic perk) are hand crafted now, it's likely, and maybe not a bad thing.

If you thought sorting junk loot was annoying in D1, it's even worse in The Division now. I would rather get less loot but have it be stuff you can actually use than having to play Recycle Bin Sorting Simulator every five minutes

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I hope that there's a shitload of cool armor in the game.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

It's going to sort of suck when cool looking armor is "the regen set" or "the mobility set". Destiny fashion going to take a big hit

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

SUNKOS posted:

I really enjoyed the crazy staircase fight in the Undying Mind strike because they throw a load of enemies at you and it's really chaotic, much like that start room with all the Fallen and Hive in the Omnigul strike. I think that's where the game excels, when the screen is full of enemies and there's supers/abilities going off constantly, orbs being sprayed like candy and everything is dialed up to 11. I think I'm probably in the minority though because people would quit the Undying Mind strike as soon as it started most of the time, which was really disappointing, but I wish they would put a lot more enemies in strikes to keep the action going.

The one thing that stands out the most in the D2 beta strike is that muddy area with all the craters, which seems like it should have four or five times as many enemies scattered about since it seems perfect for a big battle and maybe a vehicle or two as well, but instead it's just a big open area with some dogs and a small base at the end. It would be more enjoyable if those Cabal ball things were dropping in constantly with dropships unloading troops as well, or they had a mid-Strike boss with a new type of Cabal tank to fight. It's a shame there isn't really much going on.

People wouldn't quit UM because of the staircase, they'd quit it because it was long. There was a pretty funny Reddit post about looking forward to people dropping this new strike immediately because of the length.

You're absolutely spot on for the power thing. Staircase is fun as hell with people that know what they are doing. It's a shame that the staircase isn't the normative theme going forward, instead it's 4v4 primary duels streamed by asslords.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Idiot Fuckers who quit
Idiot Fuckers who quit

I got it and had to quit.

Checks out.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Chaining supers on the staircase was about as good as PVE in D1 got. They should have built the prison of elders with that in mind.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

People wouldn't quit UM because of the staircase, they'd quit it because it was long. There was a pretty funny Reddit post about looking forward to people dropping this new strike immediately because of the length.

You're absolutely spot on for the power thing. Staircase is fun as hell with people that know what they are doing. It's a shame that the staircase isn't the normative theme going forward, instead it's 4v4 primary duels streamed by asslords.

You can get a decent orb train rolling in the strike if you're not rolling with tards. My first super was ready by the mud field and I had like 3 more before it was over.

I remember how fun it was to face a 3 stack of dudes with jugg shield, matadors and truths. Super high level play was on display there. Its like how fun it is now to face 3 guys running dual stickies, god roll worm woods and either an eyasluna with rifled or a palindrome with rifled or occasionally a blind perdition thrown in there.

Truly the golden age of pvp play.

Almost as good as facing a 6 man from japan with 3 stormcallers and golden guns who camp back map, only push with supers and then get heavy ammo all running thunderlord or other field scout mg. Get no hit registration so its almost impossible to stop the super train once it rolls.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so what weapon perks are actually random now in the full game? the leftmost one?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

texaholic posted:

Chaining supers on the staircase was about as good as PVE in D1 got. They should have built the prison of elders with that in mind.

This game is just begging for a real horde/survival mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

so what weapon perks are actually random now in the full game? the leftmost one?

yeah, the "intrinsic" perk, which is a real great mangling of the english language