Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Is there any solid ETA on the nier collab yet? I'm itching to waste this lapis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nuebot posted:

Is there any solid ETA on the nier collab yet? I'm itching to waste this lapis.

We are due a raid which Nier is supposed to be. They usually launch an event a month after its reveal, its been almost a month since they announced it for global. During the last patch, they datamined placeholders for the Nier skills.

Now for the bad news, if we follow the JP release schedule, the FF11 raid is next. Either way, we probably won't find out till Wednesday, that seems to be when they announce stuff these days. Maybe Tuesday.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It would make sense, at least looking at how they've managed power creep so far, for Prishe and 5* Shantotto to happen now before 2B and 9S, especially after Aigaon whose rewards are basically BiS for Prishe.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

KataraniSword posted:

So, on average, how many lapis am I looking to end up spending if I just run Nox (or Memu) overnight? How much will it take to 100% a single character? I'm new to the thought of macroing and wondering if I can still macro for TMRs while staying f2p, and if so, how often I'd need to cool off the burners to replenish my stocks.

Well, it's 10,000 NRG, on average, to take a whole team from 0-100%.

If you have 100 Max NRG, that means (roughly) 10,000 Lapis.

Yeah, you'll get your daily regeneration energy and occasional level-ups, but let's say 10,000.

If you 50 Max NRG, 20,000 Lapis. 150 Max, 6666 Lapis.

And so on.

Generally I get 10% per overnight? Up to 1% per hour (for all 5 characters)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Just wrapped up Gronoa and much to my surprise the story is actually pretty decent, especially for a mobile game. It's not exactly Shakespeare but it's at least on par with some of the weaker main series Final Fantasy titles.

Initially I viewed it as an obstacle to power through like the story quests in Final Fantasy Record Keeper but I'm actually kind of enjoying it.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Just wrapped up Gronoa and much to my surprise the story is actually pretty decent, especially for a mobile game. It's not exactly Shakespeare but it's at least on par with some of the weaker main series Final Fantasy titles.

Initially I viewed it as an obstacle to power through like the story quests in Final Fantasy Record Keeper but I'm actually kind of enjoying it.

Right? Same. And a BUNCH changes after that. Kinda curious to see where it goes.

A lot of this is some classic FFV-inspired poo poo.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Robot down, and lord, did that suck. I hope to never fight a battle that long again.

Took the better part of the afternoon with strategy from last page.

Team was

WoL/Cecil/Rikku/Emperor/Tillith/Friend Eileen

I didn't want Eileen, but couldn't find better on my list. Her refresh was huge early on.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

The story isn't awful, but the dialogue makes me want to gouge out my eyes

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think the story is fay better than I thought it would be for a mobile game. It fits right in with like, the old SNES FFs.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
That's also why I don't mind sinking so much time into this game compared to, say, all the wasted frustration and days playing FFRK and dealing with lovely ATB.

This game does kinda feel like a cross between FF and Wild Arms, which I probably wouldn't have noticed if someone didn't point out a bunch of WA devs wound up here. Plus it explains the composer. I'm not used to a free mobile game making me want to see more of it's plot.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It's not some amazing groundbreaking story or anything but it's pretty good and for a mobile title that puts it waaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of it's competitors. I'm used to mobile games having godawful stories that are painful to sit through and make me mash the skip button as quick as possible. This one is fun and has some neat twists.

I like the Veritas as bad guys, Rain and Lasswell have grown on me, and even some of the characters I dislike like Jake have their moments. It's also fun seeing the little cameo appearances of all the characters we get out of the gacha like Charlotte or Camille. I pop whenever a new character shows up and has a little appearance like Fohlen and Illias.

They've done a surprisingly good job of creating a little world that goes deeper than stats and boss strategies. As much as I love all the number crunchy stuff it's neat that we get little cameo appearances and fun story flourishes instead of just a pile of stats that are bigger than the last pile of stats.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Will the XI raid have anything decent units or gear-wise?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Given away? No, the pull has prishe which was the original prototype comboer and she's still a pretty solid unit straight upgrade from shines TM on most cases for GS units.

Aside from that Shantotto gets 5* and easy to get strong gear. At the very least she'll be a cheap mission runner.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

meteor9 posted:

This game does kinda feel like a cross between FF and Wild Arms, which I probably wouldn't have noticed if someone didn't point out a bunch of WA devs wound up here. Plus it explains the composer. I'm not used to a free mobile game making me want to see more of it's plot.

Jake honestly looks like what would happen if you gave a Wild Arms character gunblades. Now if only he never had any dialogue.

That said, I'm used to gacha games with at least good designs if formulaic plot, given Gumi's last game, but unlike Brave Frontier, this occasionally veers away from the Tried And True Anime Tropes.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Aside from that Shantotto gets 5* and easy to get strong gear. At the very least she'll be a cheap mission runner.

From what I remember, she's also the Queen of Mage Chaining, at least for arena. Whether or not that's better than Status Effect Arena is hard to say, but if you want big damage numbers, you just gotta have two Tottos.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Best budget mage for arena for sure, but arena is so busted any two mages with aoe chains can do the same.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
2 Ashes + toxic rain pretty much kill everything in arena

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Dialogue is whatever, only real uuuuuuuuugh stuff is Rain's daddy issues, Lasswell's ultra homolust for Rain, Fina being a bad blob, and Jake 90% of the time.

Still need a .Gif of Lid's Dropkick. Godzilla and Kazuchika Okada would be proud.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Here's my napkin TM math: It takes 10,000 runs of Earth Shrine to get one TM (10% chance of each run to gain +0.1%, need 100.0% aka 1000 10% +0.1%s). A quick but dirty measurement gave me about 40s per Earth Shrine run not counting random connection errors or hitting the refill screen which takes a bit for the macro to navigate. Assuming you run the macro overnight I'll just say 8 hours, or 480m, or 28,800 seconds. At 40s per run you get 720 runs of the Earth Shrine which consumes the same amount of energy. You also gain 96 energy from the normal energy gain of +1 energy / 5 minutes. So you spend 624 energy overnight. The amount of lapis you'd spend would depend on your max energy. If you have 100 max energy (rank 60?) you'd spend 700 lapis every night running the macro for 8 hours.

Adjust the numbers to fit your rank and how long you'd set the macro to run. If you're a newer player though I'd suggest a macro that doesn't consume your lapis. Just play the game and worry about TM gear once you're caught up on story, did the key vault quests because there is some fantastic gear in there, got some rank ups from playing the game to make each lapis refresh carry that much more, and gotten some units worth grinding TMs for.

My hot take is that the story is bad but am glad that it's there instead of having nothing at all. I just hope there isn't another tournament segment where Laswell became super sand legend.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Scrublord Prime posted:

Here's my napkin TM math: It takes 10,000 runs of Earth Shrine to get one TM (10% chance of each run to gain +0.1%, need 100.0% aka 1000 10% +0.1%s). A quick but dirty measurement gave me about 40s per Earth Shrine run not counting random connection errors or hitting the refill screen which takes a bit for the macro to navigate. Assuming you run the macro overnight I'll just say 8 hours, or 480m, or 28,800 seconds. At 40s per run you get 720 runs of the Earth Shrine which consumes the same amount of energy. You also gain 96 energy from the normal energy gain of +1 energy / 5 minutes. So you spend 624 energy overnight. The amount of lapis you'd spend would depend on your max energy. If you have 100 max energy (rank 60?) you'd spend 700 lapis every night running the macro for 8 hours.

Adjust the numbers to fit your rank and how long you'd set the macro to run. If you're a newer player though I'd suggest a macro that doesn't consume your lapis. Just play the game and worry about TM gear once you're caught up on story, did the key vault quests because there is some fantastic gear in there, got some rank ups from playing the game to make each lapis refresh carry that much more, and gotten some units worth grinding TMs for.

My hot take is that the story is bad but am glad that it's there instead of having nothing at all. I just hope there isn't another tournament segment where Laswell became super sand legend.

I would have never guessed an FF game would be ripping a DBZ plot but here we are :v:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

BGrifter posted:

It's not some amazing groundbreaking story or anything but it's pretty good and for a mobile title that puts it waaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of it's competitors. I'm used to mobile games having godawful stories that are painful to sit through and make me mash the skip button as quick as possible. This one is fun and has some neat twists.

I like the Veritas as bad guys, Rain and Lasswell have grown on me, and even some of the characters I dislike like Jake have their moments. It's also fun seeing the little cameo appearances of all the characters we get out of the gacha like Charlotte or Camille. I pop whenever a new character shows up and has a little appearance like Fohlen and Illias.

They've done a surprisingly good job of creating a little world that goes deeper than stats and boss strategies. As much as I love all the number crunchy stuff it's neat that we get little cameo appearances and fun story flourishes instead of just a pile of stats that are bigger than the last pile of stats.

I honestly would put "A promise beyond time" above most RPG sidequests in writing (not saying much I know). Its not some heavy handed story about racism and "can't we all just get along?" Its just a dwarf named Ruggles trying to help the two that helped him, and honoring them when they pass away.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Scrublord Prime posted:

You also gain 96 energy from the normal energy gain of +1 energy / 5 minutes. So you spend 624 energy overnight. The amount of lapis you'd spend would depend on your max energy. If you have 100 max energy (rank 60?) you'd spend 700 lapis every night running the macro for 8 hours.

Adjust the numbers to fit your rank and how long you'd set the macro to run.

Great, that's exactly the math I was looking for. As for the story missions, I'm about 2/3rds of the way through Mysidia now, so it's not like I have too much story/quests left before I'm caught up, though I think my next priority is to get the plot characters just up to speed enough to manage the equipment quests. That stuff is real nice-looking, though naturally the weapons won't help my current team loadout too much.

I finally got around to keeping Nox from reporting in to Chinese bootleggers, so next step is actually setting up a macro and making sure it'll go without crashing. I'll probably end up doing the five minute/no refill ones for a while, if for no other reason than my actual phone is an Apple so I can't bounce the lapis back and forth between emulator and main playspace.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tengames posted:

I honestly would put "A promise beyond time" above most RPG sidequests in writing (not saying much I know). Its not some heavy handed story about racism and "can't we all just get along?" Its just a dwarf named Ruggles trying to help the two that helped him, and honoring them when they pass away.

I actually really like these "Here's some dudes, watch them die" storylines and would much rather a steady stream of these than ever get another main storyline update. Hell, give us some mini-stories that adapt the main FF series even and I'd be happy.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I freed up a few friend slots purging inactives, so if anyone want a Lightning that can solo Gilgamesh (and you don't want to use.one of the other people who can do it), feel free to add me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

http://fan-fes.finalfantasyexvius.com/tw/

If you go, keep pushing them for an alternative login system other Facebook.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

Ask them about Blue Magic, too.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Ask them about Blue Magic, too.

Also, ask them about separate loadouts for separate parties.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 24, 2017

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Can someone help me understand how the wiki describes skills? I understand the damage ones, those are pretty straightforward modifiers of regular attack damage. But for example, this description of curaja:

Heal (1000 HP, 3.4x) to all allies

What does that mean precisely? It heals 3400 hp to everyone (in which case why a modifier at all)? Or it heals 1000+(3.4 times spirit)? Or is spirit in that case another derived number? I suppose in the end it doesn't really matter since bigger is better, but I just don't understand how they describe these things.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Palleon posted:

Can someone help me understand how the wiki describes skills? I understand the damage ones, those are pretty straightforward modifiers of regular attack damage. But for example, this description of curaja:

Heal (1000 HP, 3.4x) to all allies

What does that mean precisely? It heals 3400 hp to everyone (in which case why a modifier at all)? Or it heals 1000+(3.4 times spirit)? Or is spirit in that case another derived number? I suppose in the end it doesn't really matter since bigger is better, but I just don't understand how they describe these things.

Reasonably sure it is Flat Amount + (variable * primary stat), so in that case it would indeed be 1000 + (3.4 * SPR).

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011

Palleon posted:

Can someone help me understand how the wiki describes skills?

The wiki has an in-depth page for "mechanics". I'm on my phone so I don't have the link handy.
IIRC the formula for healing is base+{modifier * [(0.1*Mag)+(0.5*Spr)]}.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Cartoon Man posted:

I got in the preregistration so hopefully I'm in for sure.

If I can get in line for a question, I want to know, as a loyal American follower, when we can have a Final Fantasy Mystic Quest collab.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cartoon Man posted:

It'd have to be a cross platform system (and one someone else made so they can just not spend the money) so good luck with that.

PaybackJack posted:

If I can get in line for a question, I want to know, as a loyal American follower, when we can have a Final Fantasy Mystic Quest collab.

This is a far, far more important question TBH.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

PaybackJack posted:

You are doing the Lord's work.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

PaybackJack posted:

ask when ramzas enhancements are coming ahhhhh

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It'd have to be a cross platform system (and one someone else made so they can just not spend the money) so good luck with that.

Yeah, if it's not Facebook, it would probably end up being something completely unfuckingsuitable to mobile gaming like LINE. (I know it's super popular in Japan, but that doesn't make it good for this sort of thing.)

I'd honestly be fine with Facebook as long as they actually had a system to unbind accounts or the like, but I get why that'd be exploited by assholes.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, if it's not Facebook, it would probably end up being something completely unfuckingsuitable to mobile gaming like LINE. (I know it's super popular in Japan, but that doesn't make it good for this sort of thing.)

I'd honestly be fine with Facebook as long as they actually had a system to unbind accounts or the like, but I get why that'd be exploited by assholes.

They already have Google play login, there is no bigger :psyboom:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

WebDO posted:

They already have Google play login, there is no bigger :psyboom:

Google play is not cross platform. Maybe an iOS game can make it use it one way or another, but Apple sure as hell isn't going to be eager to allow it to be easy.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Why not just use gmail accounts? FE:Heroes does that, cross platform

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cry Havoc posted:

ask when ramzas enhancements are coming ahhhhh
Ramza is never getting enhanced.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They already have an alternative login system in JP, just not for global. It's loving stupid they don't implement it! I'm guessing Facebook is paying them money to use them.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ubiquitus posted:

Why not just use gmail accounts? FE:Heroes does that, cross platform

FE:Heroes can do that because it ties the gmail accounts to My Nintendo accounts, which are the aforementioned "self-made services" EF mentioned that wouldn't get rolled out by a company like alim or Gumi.

Cartoon Man posted:

They already have an alternative login system in JP, just not for global. It's loving stupid they don't implement it!

In that case, yes, it is dumb and I can only personally assume it's due to how mobile games tend to be spaghetti code; you can't always pick and choose when you can implement things over asynchronous releases if they involve engine overhauls.

And from Brave Frontier experience, I'd say alim/Gumi stuff is worse spaghetti code than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Ramza is never getting enhanced.

• Locked thread