Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, that Democrat controlled congress.

I remember the republican excuse for their 2000s domination rightfully crumbling, after they were universally grafty mean ghouls during their late Clinton and early GWB domination:

"The culture of Washington changed us!"
:pedophiles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The excellent podcast about bad books, I Don't Even Own A Television, has done an episode on one of Rush Limbaugh's self-insert, time-travel fanfiction books for teens, Rush Revere and the American Revolution.

It's a book where Rush Limbaugh Revere takes a child of a U.S. Marine back in time (using his magical, time-traveling, talking horse, named Liberty) to witness the American Revolution first-hand so he can better understand why his father is fighting the Taliban/Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. It is as bad as it sounds.

PhazonLink posted:

Isn't the cover art also great because it uses Rush's fatfuck face?

Also reminder, he got caught with boner pills on a plane trip back from a country known for The (child) sex tourism.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 23, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Isn't the cover art also great because it uses Rush's fatfuck face?

Also reminder, he got caught with boner pills on a plane trip back from a country known for The (child) sex tourism.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is Rush still relevant to conservatives at this point?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BigRed0427 posted:

Is Rush still relevant to conservatives at this point?

Hell yes. He absolutely is. He's like a god, a preacher and practically a de facto press secretary in right wing circles.

His listeners take their marching orders from him and wait 24 hours to form their daily opinions based on his takes on hosed up, indefensible news and undeniable facts. That's why the lunch room where you work is always silent for a day every time Trump fucks up and then 24 hours later everyone is echoing the same talking points. It was the same for Bush before Trump. Only thing Rush is missing is people yelling "DITTOHEAD!" or "FEMINAZIS! like "bababooey!" or "hit em with the HEIN!" at golf tournaments and poo poo to remind us of his popularity.

He's incredibly influential and all of our lives collectively suck out loud because of it. I honestly believe he's almost singularly to blame for climate science denial. Don't underestimate the influence, scope and reach of these propagandists on American discourse and policy. It's incredibly pervasive and quite real.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I keep forgetting it was Rush that was in the decline, and O'Reilly that was fired. The two just mixed into this fire-breathing vindictive gargoyle with huge anger problem for me. Without being in tv or radio, surely, surely, O'Reilly's reach had gone down to near zero?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

In contemporary conservative news, Patreon, that wonderful platform for starving artists and wingnut welfare recipients has banned someone awful.

https://twitter.com/delmoi/status/888901750756868097

It's difficult to get the facts of this particular :siren: censorship of a perfectly benign conservative voice on popular crowdfunding platform :siren: straight, since the only people reporting on it in the last couple of days are other far-right circlejerk rags that claim Lauren Southern Did Nothing Wrong.

A cursory reading seems to indicate it has something to do with Project Defend Europe in which a bunch of alt-righters, known as Identitarians, rent a boat to "monitor" humanitarian groups off the coast of Libya who are trying to keep migrants from dying in the Mediterranean. Patreon accuses Southern of raising money for this, which has the potential to get people killed. A reminder that there are reports Libya has a slave trade made up of captured migrants so assisting the Libyan Coast Guard or forcing ships toward Libya probably could result in a loss of life, as Pateron put it.

So, she's launched her own crowdfunding platform for herself called Patreon Sucks.

I'm not sure if Southern gets much play in the Fox News brand of conservatism. She used to be with Canada's Rebel Media but left because it wasn't conservative enough, I think? Or possibly because her boss was Jewish. I'm not entirely sure where that all lies. But boy, those were some uncomfortable Google searches. Probably should have done that in incognito.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 24, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

God. You can't make this poo poo up anymore.

If I'm mad at modern conservatives for anything and the penultimate legitimization of it with someone like Trump and the normalization of Rush and Coulter for anything, it's for totally loving killing satire. I posted it before, but when I first heard Rush and Alex Jones I honestly believed it was satirical.

Maybe it all was at some point until they figured out a way to monetize it all but they're all culpable in whats going on. Their listeners and readers absolutely 100% believe this poo poo and have infiltrated the highest levels of government. They're writing laws.

Nothing's funny anymore.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

BiggerBoat posted:

God. You can't make this poo poo up anymore.

If I'm mad at modern conservatives for anything and the penultimate legitimization of it with someone like Trump and the normalization of Rush and Coulter for anything, it's for totally loving killing satire. I posted it before, but when I first heard Rush and Alex Jones I honestly believed it was satirical.

Maybe it all was at some point until they figured out a way to monetize it all but they're all culpable in whats going on. Their listeners and readers absolutely 100% believe this poo poo and have infiltrated the highest levels of government. They're writing laws.

Nothing's funny anymore.

As much as I don't like South Park anymore I do sympathise with Matt and Trey a little. How the gently caress to you try to be more outlandish than Trump and his crew.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
No gently caress them.

They played the part of "The Truth is in the Middle/Both sides are the same so no point in doing anything. *faaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrtttttt*"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They also increased the popularity of using jew as an insult. Cartman is the prototype of every conservative millennial and gen Z. They can mock everything except the world they helped create that makes South Park look sane in comparison. They went after Scientology, politics, and any controversy they could find, but now suddenly they're scared to go after Trump?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

No gently caress them.

They played the part of "The Truth is in the Middle/Both sides are the same so no point in doing anything. *faaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrtttttt*"

Not only that, but also actively spreading the lie that voting doesn't matter to young people.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Leofish posted:

In contemporary conservative news, Patreon, that wonderful platform for starving artists and wingnut welfare recipients has banned someone awful.

It's difficult to get the facts of this particular :siren: censorship of a perfectly benign conservative voice on popular crowdfunding platform :siren: straight, since the only people reporting on it in the last couple of days are other far-right circlejerk rags that claim Lauren Southern Did Nothing Wrong.

A cursory reading seems to indicate it has something to do with Project Defend Europe in which a bunch of alt-righters, known as Identitarians, rent a boat to "monitor" humanitarian groups off the coast of Libya who are trying to keep migrants from dying in the Mediterranean. Patreon accuses Southern of raising money for this, which has the potential to get people killed. A reminder that there are reports Libya has a slave trade made up of captured migrants so assisting the Libyan Coast Guard or forcing ships toward Libya probably could result in a loss of life, as Pateron put it.

So, she's launched her own crowdfunding platform for herself called Patreon Sucks.

I'm not sure if Southern gets much play in the Fox News brand of conservatism. She used to be with Canada's Rebel Media but left because it wasn't conservative enough, I think? Or possibly because her boss was Jewish. I'm not entirely sure where that all lies. But boy, those were some uncomfortable Google searches. Probably should have done that in incognito.

Southern was one of the Rebel people who got let go because she forgot that she wasn't supposed to cross into full ZOG insanity, since her boss is Jewish. She's not the only one who has had this problem.

Speaking of Canadians, Peter Kent, a cabinet minister under Harper, wrote this in the Wall Street Journal, called A Terrorist’s Big Payday, Courtesy of Trudeau, we seems to be making the rounds in US right wing circles now. There is no word or smiley for the amount of contempt I have for our conservatives for doing this. It's a total disregard not only for the truth but also for the basic principals of Canadian law.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 24, 2017

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sedge and Bee posted:

Southern was one of the Rebel people who got let go because she forgot that she wasn't supposed to cross into full ZOG insanity, since her boss is Jewish. She's not the only one who has had this problem.

Speaking of Canadians, Peter Kent, a cabinet minister under Harper, wrote this in the Wall Street Journal, called A Terrorist’s Big Payday, Courtesy of Trudeau, we seems to be making the rounds in US right wing circles now. There is no word or smiley for the amount of contempt I have for our conservatives for doing this. It's a total disregard not only for the truth but also for the basic principals of Canadian law.

You didn't link it, but I'm assuming you're talking about the Canadian citizen (Omar Kadiq?) that was captured and treated as a terrorist for allegedly killing a US soldier in a firefight, was then tortured and then eventually let go once he got back to Canada? The one conservative friend I had kept saying "he's a murderer and should not be allowed on the street or have all this money" despite the fact that A) he was 15 when said alleged "murder" occurred, B) he was tortured, C) he was a Canadian citizen, and D) they aren't even sure he threw the grenade that killed a US soldier. Utter loving bullshit. Dude served his time and we didn't treat him properly at all if he was an enemy combatant, there is no reason anybody should be acting like this. You mentioned disregard for the basic principals of Canadian Law, could you explain the legal reasons why he got all this money so that if I have to argue about it again I feel better informed?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The feds also refused a court order to immediately release him (as they refused to officially charge him with anything for a good ten years).
He deserves every penny for the government's making GBS threads on the rule of law, and should be provided free counselling and university for life.

10 years without trial. loving scum.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 24, 2017

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Angry_Ed posted:

You didn't link it, but I'm assuming you're talking about the Canadian citizen (Omar Kadiq?) that was captured and treated as a terrorist for allegedly killing a US soldier in a firefight, was then tortured and then eventually let go once he got back to Canada? The one conservative friend I had kept saying "he's a murderer and should not be allowed on the street or have all this money" despite the fact that A) he was 15 when said alleged "murder" occurred, B) he was tortured, C) he was a Canadian citizen, and D) they aren't even sure he threw the grenade that killed a US soldier. Utter loving bullshit. Dude served his time and we didn't treat him properly at all if he was an enemy combatant, there is no reason anybody should be acting like this. You mentioned disregard for the basic principals of Canadian Law, could you explain the legal reasons why he got all this money so that if I have to argue about it again I feel better informed?

We didn't lift a finger to repatriate him and left him to rot in defiance of the court. The loving Supreme Court ruled his charter rights were violated. The military tribunal he was sent before was secret and we didn't complain, he was tortured into confessing, and even after he recanted, the US rolled out an anonymous eyewitness who's statements contradicted the facts established to that point.

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/07/07/opinion/what-if-omar-khadr-isnt-guilty

E: forgot to link it, on phone but will link when I get back.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sedge and Bee posted:

We didn't lift a finger to repatriate him and left him to rot in defiance of the court. The loving Supreme Court ruled his charter rights were violated. The military tribunal he was sent before was secret and we didn't complain, he was tortured into confessing, and even after he recanted, the US rolled out an anonymous eyewitness who's statements contradicted the facts established to that point.

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/07/07/opinion/what-if-omar-khadr-isnt-guilty

E: forgot to link it, on phone but will link when I get back.

Thank you. I doubt he'll ever bring it up again (he loves to just shitpost a "so what do you think about x" when it's obvious he only just heard about it from some right wing puppet, usually Gavin McInnes, Ben Shapiro, or Stephen Crowder) but this will be good to keep in my back pocket, so to speak. If nothing else, I'll at least feel good that I had a decent counterargument even if he won't listen to it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Leofish posted:

The fact that she only got $95 soothes the pain.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I read that they shot flares at the boats. Why is she not arrested?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The Omar Khadr saga is a lengthy one that goes back well beyond his capture in Afghanistan in 2002. For Canadian conservatives like Peter Kent in the WSJ or Michelle Rempel on Fox News, you only need to say "Liberal PM Justin Trudeau paid a confessed, convicted terrorist $10.5 million and that's enough to stoke the engine of the outrage machine.

Khadr's father was a big time Al Qaeda supporter and is believed to have been a major financier for them. He was in prison in Pakistan and eventually brought back to Canada when Omar Khadr was still a young boy, and then took his kids with him to Afghanistan. I think Khadr was 9 or 10 at the time. He was then basically forced into the Al Qaeda lifestyle, taught how to make IEDs, etc (there is at least one video of him doing this, which conservatives will point to constantly as proof of his guiltiness and murderousness, since many soldiers who were killed in Afghanistan were killed by roadside IEDs). He was, by all accounts, manipulated and brainwashed by his dad into living like this.

He ended up being found in a pile of rubble following a firefight at an Al Qaeda compound in 2002. By the time he was found a grenade had already been thrown, leaving U.S. Sgt. Chris Speer with fatal injuries and partially blinding U.S. Sgt. Layne Morris. Morris has done some speaking on Fox about how Khadr does not deserve the payout. Khadr himself was shot twice in the back after being found, but U.S. medics eventually saved his life. Early accounts of the battle are not as clear about whether Khadr threw the grenade, but testimony changed as time went on.

From there, he was imprisoned until 2012. In part, his imprisonment and questioning led to the wrongful arrest and subsequent torture of another Canadian citizen, Maher Arar, who was eventually awarded $10.5 million by the Canadian government for gross breaches of his constitutional rights. Khadr was subject to the extreme sleep deprivation technique known as the frequent flyer program before being interrogated by Canadian intelligence officials at one point early in his imprisonment. He eventually pleaded guilty to several war crimes, and was supposed to serve an 8-year sentence in Canada. The Canadian government tried to fight his extradition, but failed. He returned to Canada in 2012, staying at a maximum security prison. From there, he recanted his guilty plea, saying he only did it to secure repatriation to his home country, and then appealed his military tribunal decision. That's still going through the courts, but it allowed him to be free on bail in 2015, a move the government also tried, and failed, to prevent.

Then Khadr sued the Canadian government in civil court for $20 million. The $10.5 million is basically an out of court settlement in connection with that. The government admitted it had already spent $5 million in court fees on that suit and, seeing as Khadr has 3 successful Supreme Court rulings saying Canada violated his rights, the government was eventually almost certainly going to lose. Whether or not Khadr is, in fact, guilty of killing Chris Speer is beside the point here. This settlement and this court case had absolutely nothing to do with that. The case hinges entirely on whether his rights as a Canadian citizen were upheld when he was a prisoner in Guantanamo Bay. The SCOC said three times they weren't.

Meanwhile, an Ohio court awared Layne Morris and Tabitha Speer, Sgt. Speer's widow, $134 million USD in a wrongful death suit in 2014, which Khadr did not defend against, because he was still in prison. Speer and Morris are now trying to get a Canadian court to recognize and enforce the ruling. They tried earlier this month to freeze his assets after news broke Khadr had been given an unconfirmed monetary reward, but failed because the judge ruled he was not at risk to give away or spend all his money before the ruling on whether the $134 million is enforceable.

This is just a summary, but it's a long, sad, twisted saga that probably never would have happened had Omar Khadr been Owen Carter.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Sounds like piracy to me, throw the book at 'em.

Or at least privateering without state authority.

EDIT: The Southern thing that is.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 24, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jurgan posted:

The fact that she only got $95 soothes the pain.

yeah lol, as often as these wingnut welfare jackasses seem to cash out it's nice to see that a payable due for one of them isn't even what i would drop on a nice date night steak dinner for my wife

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

toanoradian posted:

I keep forgetting it was Rush that was in the decline, and O'Reilly that was fired. The two just mixed into this fire-breathing vindictive gargoyle with huge anger problem for me. Without being in tv or radio, surely, surely, O'Reilly's reach had gone down to near zero?

O'Reilly now has a gig where he gets about an hour on Glenn Beck's show every Friday. While Glenn Beck himself is falling in popularity among the far right because he occasionally says "Maybe Trump did something sort of bad" it's still giving O'Reilly more influence than he'd have otherwise.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dilbertman has a plan to fix health care now that Republicans have failed horribly. Did I say failed horribly, I mean, 10th dimensionally succeeded exactly as the Master Persuader planned all along:

Pointy-haired Boss posted:

The advantage American citizens have in 2017, that we never had before, is a populist president who can sell the bejeezus out of a health care plan if someone could come up with one that makes sense. But for that to happen, Congress first had to do a hard faceplant in the asphalt, to show the country they are not the right tool for the job. That phase is complete. Time for the next phase.

Here's the grand plan:

Okay the idea man has come up with all the hard ideas: identify the costs and start some companies and pass some regulations, now it's up to you to fill in all the niggling little unimportant minor details, like what any of those things are, and actually for that matter come up with the entire plan yourselves. You're welcome!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 24, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Dilbertman

"for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"But where's Trump's plan? He told us he had a plan!"
"Oh don't you see? Trump showed us the Obamacare replacement plan was in our hearts all along!"

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

VitalSigns posted:

Dilbertman has a plan to fix health care now that Republicans have failed horribly. Did I say failed horribly, I mean, 10th dimensionally succeeded exactly as the Master Persuader planned all along:

Here's the grand plan:

Okay the idea man has come up with all the hard ideas: identify the costs and start some companies and pass some regulations, now it's up to you to fill in all the niggling little unimportant minor details, like what any of those things are, and actually for that matter come up with the entire plan yourselves. You're welcome!

Trump "selling the bejeezus out of a health care plan" would require he know something about health care. Or care. I think this whole debacle has made it clear that Trump has neither knowledge of nor interest in health care policy, so there's effectively zero chance that he could be an effective spokesperson. "We're gonna do something great" is easy to say, but when people start asking questions he freezes up and spews pure word salad.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

i cannot stop laughing at that whiteboard
its literally underpants gnomes

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Here's the grand plan:

God, that's even dumber than it looks at a glance. It's like Homer Simpson when he tried to emulate Edison. Step 1: invent something. Step 2: make money.

Yeah, someone should just "start some companies".....a-duhhhh. How has nobody thought of this before? Also I thought conservatives hated regulations because they interfere with the free market. What "regulations" is he even talking about? "Pass some regulations" doesn't even mean anything. Additionally, the costs have already been identified: administration, advertising and marketing, lack of negotiating leverage, over charging/the profit incentive and, most importantly, not enough healthy people in the loving insurance pool. How do people not know how loving insurance works?

"Start some companies and pass some regulations" is something a 10 year old kid would say. How brilliant. This idiot needs his own radio show.

Also, who's going to cover health insurance for all these hypothetical workers at these imaginary start up companies?

Excuse me for a moment. Im gonna go start some companies and pass some regulations. I'll let you know how that goes. Expecting great things.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wrong thread

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

STAC Goat posted:

Wrong thread

Wait, no come back! We need you to pass some startup companies and start some regulations!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Playstation 4 posted:

Wait, no come back! We need you to pass some startup companies and start some regulations!

Cofveve!

Jurgan posted:

Trump "selling the bejeezus out of a health care plan" would require he know something about health care. Or care. I think this whole debacle has made it clear that Trump has neither knowledge of nor interest in health care policy, so there's effectively zero chance that he could be an effective spokesperson. "We're gonna do something great" is easy to say, but when people start asking questions he freezes up and spews pure word salad.

You obviously don't know how business works. You start some companies, pass some regulations and then sell the poo poo out of it. It's all right here you loving moron.

A: Always
B: Be
C: Cofveve

"Always Be Cofveve". What's not clear?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 24, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
"Start some businesses and pass some regulations."

As opposed to "Pass some regulations and strongly encourage people to patronize already existing businesses."

Like, I know a not insignificant part of the electorate genuinely thought that the ACA contained a "Destroy America" clause or something equally stupid, but what the gently caress did Master Persuader here think it did?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Like, I know a not insignificant part of the electorate genuinely thought that the ACA contained a "Destroy America" clause or something equally stupid, but what the gently caress did Master Persuader here think it did?

Destroyed America.

I think the "making people a product" thing was the main objective to it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

Cofveve!

You obviously don't know how business works. You start some companies, pass some regulations and then sell the poo poo out of it. It's all right here you loving moron.

A: Always
B: Be
C: Cofveve

"Always Be Cofveve". What's not clear?

So Scott Adams has radicalized into becoming a multi-level marketing guru. This chaos timeline continues to show us such amazing things...self-

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Heathcare

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Honestly thought this was the Centrist Democrat plan, due to the use of the word "regulation", and fully expecting third party "innovator start-ups" to solve it instead of themselves.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 24, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

healthcare.jpg

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Twelve by Pies posted:

O'Reilly now has a gig where he gets about an hour on Glenn Beck's show every Friday. While Glenn Beck himself is falling in popularity among the far right because he occasionally says "Maybe Trump did something sort of bad" it's still giving O'Reilly more influence than he'd have otherwise.

I remember before the election day when Beck said Obama made him a better man. How is the man still out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

toanoradian posted:

I remember before the election day when Beck said Obama made him a better man. How is the man still out there?

Because he's said a billion things since then to contradict it, and his audience is a collection of Donald Trump-level mental children who, just like Trump, also believe literally the last thing that was said to them by an authoritative voice.

I don't know how many times I have to keep saying this: Beck's childhood heroes were Orson Wells and PT Barnum. Dude knows how to work the rubes.