Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's particularly cool because Nihon Falcom has been a secret of RPG fandom for a long time abroad, being one of the three most influential JRPG developers (along with what was once Square and Enix), but haven't often gotten English translations until recently (a lot of the older ones are pretty bad translations, to boot). So it's great to see them enthusiastic towards getting the games out to us.

Falcom has blown Square out of the water in my opinion. I've had way more fun with the Sky trilogy and the Ys games on Steam than I have with any of the Final Fantasies released in the past decade (though FF14's story is making up for things for me so far). I'm just happy I never knew about them when I had a PSP, that cliffhanger in Sky 1 was a heartbreaker. I can't imagine waiting as long as it took to get the second one out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is dream daddies good?

If you like corny dad jokes (both jokes made by dads and jokes about dads), you'll like Dream Daddy. I've only played through one dad's (Mat's) route so far, so I can't speak for the whole game, but so far it's been a light-hearted fun visual novel that occasionally throws SURPRISE minigames at you with no instructions, WarioWare style.

Though it has a few bugs still:

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/888293915228389376

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/888295333159096320

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Xaris posted:

*furiously preorders several copies of Grimoire because*

please no

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Snuffman posted:

Just noticed the big Warhams sale, got some Warham questions:

- Deathwing. Looked cool but apparently was a disaster at release. How is it now? The reviews seems to imply its a lot better but is it any good? Also, is it meant to be played like L4D or can it be enjoyed solo?

- Battlefleet Gothic. Probably never going to touch multiplayer, so I guess I don't need any DLC. Is the singleplayer worth it?

- Mordheim. I've bounced back and forth on this one for a while. How punishing is the RNG exactly?

Deathwing is awful, especially solo. Refunded that asap. Real bad game.

Battlefleet Gothic is loving fantastic though. Multiplayer is its own beast since you're playing against players and not the AI, but the AI is just fine and the campaign is really fun, and much simpler than it initially might seem.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Snuffman posted:

Just noticed the big Warhams sale, got some Warham questions:

- Deathwing. Looked cool but apparently was a disaster at release. How is it now? The reviews seems to imply its a lot better but is it any good? Also, is it meant to be played like L4D or can it be enjoyed solo?

- Battlefleet Gothic. Probably never going to touch multiplayer, so I guess I don't need any DLC. Is the singleplayer worth it?

- Mordheim. I've bounced back and forth on this one for a while. How punishing is the RNG exactly?

Battlefleet Gothic is the best warhammer game. Play it like bumper carts and have a great time.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

I guess that was a weird way to phrase it because Proper Noun Proper Noun. There's a game called Planetoid Pioneers which seems like a similarly physics-driven 2D shooter thing, in the vein of Cortex Command, and I was wondering if, unlike Cortex Command, it wasn't garbage.

It's extremely unstable and there's not much game to it yet, wouldn't bother getting it just now but it's fairly promising.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Yar The Pirate posted:

Falcom has blown Square out of the water in my opinion. I've had way more fun with the Sky trilogy and the Ys games on Steam than I have with any of the Final Fantasies released in the past decade (though FF14's story is making up for things for me so far). I'm just happy I never knew about them when I had a PSP, that cliffhanger in Sky 1 was a heartbreaker. I can't imagine waiting as long as it took to get the second one out here.

I think it's pretty much accepted that Square is a shadow of its former self. They haven't developed any GREAT game in a long time. Their best game in recent history was FF XII's remake. They have had some very good games like Bravely Default/Nier but their big games have just been ok to good like 13 or 15. Tomb Raider, Hitman were pretty good but they aren't Square games. DragonQuest has also kinda dipped since the ps2 days maybe the new will be good on PS4/Wii.

E: still as Japanese game fans I play most of their games even though their output isn't god tier like their ps1 or ps2 days..

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Baller Time posted:

A week later at Valve: "Wow, these chinese people sure are good at solving problems for each other!"

"My game won't start"
"Try clicking on the Play button"
"That works, thanks! 10/10 support"

*Hat Crate*

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ulio posted:

I think it's pretty much accepted that Square is a shadow of its former self. They haven't developed any GREAT game in a long time. Their best game in recent history was FF XII's remake. They have had some very good games like Bravely Default/Nier but their big games have just been ok to good like 13 or 15. Tomb Raider, Hitman were pretty good but they aren't Square games. DragonQuest has also kinda dipped since the ps2 days maybe the new will be good on PS4/Wii.

E: still as Japanese game fans I play most of their games even though their output isn't god tier like their ps1 or ps2 days..
you forgot a game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knw4eVVUglE

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Still waiting on that Xenogears port instead of a rebalance of a decade old game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Giant Boy Detective posted:

If you like corny dad jokes (both jokes made by dads and jokes about dads), you'll like Dream Daddy. I've only played through one dad's (Mat's) route so far, so I can't speak for the whole game, but so far it's been a light-hearted fun visual novel that occasionally throws SURPRISE minigames at you with no instructions, WarioWare style.

Though it has a few bugs still:

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/888293915228389376

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/888295333159096320

horrifying

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Yar The Pirate posted:

That's because Nihon Falcom has never really diverted from what they do: JRPGs and action JRPGs. That's what they do. That's all they do. Square got warped around by the weight of their own success and the constant need to up the ante, on the other hand.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Someone else asked but any thoughts on Kingdoms and Castles? It seemed interesting.

Not very deep, but a nice-looking castle town builder. You can build every building in the game in about 6-7 hours of gameplay, if you include getting your bearings. I jumped in without any thought, and managed to build everything and withstand a bunch of invasions without having to restart.

Not boring though, and it's fun if you want to play castle defense and city builder in a casual way.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

oh ya i completely forgot about that. people say its fun(addicting?) but i haven't played it so can't say much.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Awesome! posted:

there are 3 videos on the pyre store page and none of them show gameplay in more then ~2 second clips. is it a fantasy basketball game?

It's a turn-based 3v3 fantasy basketball game by the Bastion and Transistor people.

:shrug:

E: Music is still on point at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uCEe-OhAkU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah it is essentially 3 on 3 turn based basketball at the core with a few small quirks.

There's actual gameplay vids on youtube.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's because Nihon Falcom has never really diverted from what they do: JRPGs and action JRPGs. That's what they do. That's all they do. Square got warped around by the weight of their own success and the constant need to up the ante, on the other hand.

Counterpoint: Square's early experimental non-JRPG phase gave us Einhander, one of the best shmups of that era, plus Bushido Blade. I think contemporary Square's problem isn't really attributable to their need to up the ante or change things around so much as a problem of quality control and mismanagement. On the other hand, I have no idea how much of 199X-era Squaresoft even remains within the company these days.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Counterpoint: Square's early experimental non-JRPG phase gave us Einhander, one of the best shmups of that era, plus Bushido Blade. I think contemporary Square's problem isn't really attributable to their need to up the ante or change things around so much as a problem of quality control and mismanagement. On the other hand, I have no idea how much of 199X-era Squaresoft even remains within the company these days.

I wasn't really referring to that (though Bushido Blade was developed externally by Lightweight) but a much longer process of genre erosion that led us to things like FFXIII. But mismanagement would be a part of that, yes.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Square is cool in my book as long as there's someone there who continues to give Yoko Taro funding.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wasn't really referring to that (though Bushido Blade was developed externally by Lightweight) but a much longer process of genre erosion that led us to things like FFXIII. But mismanagement would be a part of that, yes.

ff13 is a much more traditional jrpg than ff12 or 11, this is a baffling thing that people keep repeating without thought

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kai Tave posted:

On the other hand, I have no idea how much of 199X-era Squaresoft even remains within the company these days.
Well, in the Square + Enix merger they've kept the table and chairs from Square and the execs from Enix, so Square has long been Atari's fellow undead.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Random question: is it kosher to link to/plug a kickstarter for a game if it's not yours/you have no financial stake in it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If it looks like a cool game, why not?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'd say that's a lot more accepted than shilling for your own kickstarter even.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

ff13 is a much more traditional jrpg than ff12 or 11, this is a baffling thing that people keep repeating without thought

It also had really good combat.

Shame about the rest of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Occultatio posted:

Random question: is it kosher to link to/plug a kickstarter for a game if it's not yours/you have no financial stake in it?

Do it, show me the cool kickstarter!

But put it in the kickstarter thread, please!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Awesome! posted:

there are 3 videos on the pyre store page and none of them show gameplay in more then ~2 second clips. is it a fantasy basketball game?

I thought that trailer was appalling.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do it, show me the cool kickstarter!

But put it in the kickstarter thread, please!

yeah but don't be too down when everyone calls it poo poo if it is

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Occultatio posted:

I always like to hear about cool games. Hell, someone mentioned Tangledeep the other day in this thread and I jumped all over that. I'm a half-nerd, so I need the turbo-nerds to keep me in the loop on good games.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

We're gonna get pretty close this year already, since the following Falcom-developed titles are expected to come out with English PC versions during the remainder of the year:
Zwei II, Ys7, Ys8, Tokyo Xanadu eX+, and Trails of Cold Steel (with PC version of II announced but not given a date).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fantasy Mosaics: 18 is out on steam, for those who are desperate for more picross!

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
It's a game a friend has been working on for a few years now, and I think it's pretty cool? But it's definitely outside my personal tastes, so fans of the actual genre might not think so.

It's called Silicon Void, and the first thing you should know is that there's a really substantial demo at that link (like, the first 1-2 hours of the game). It's a sci-fi exploration RPG with turn-based (but not grid-based) tactical combat inspired by (primarily) Chrono Cross and Xenosaga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT76fIPSBoQ

The combat is going to be what draws you in, if you're in the target audience. On any given tick of the turn clock (in the upper left in those screenshots), you pick from weak, medium or strong attacks, a variety of color-coded special Abilities (spending points earned by doing regular attacks), or to defend or recharge. Every action advances the clock one tick, and you know in advance when enemies' turns are. But, you're also balancing against the colors: enemies are all color-coded, using Abilities colors your own ship, opposing colors on the turn clock are weak to each other, AND the color of the current time affects the entire battlefield (like Chrono Cross's "field" mechanic). The goal is to encourage thoughtful play, as you know enough to plan a move or two ahead, but the complete set of systems are too complex to ever entirely wrap your head around, so there's still a lot of surprise.

The dev has actually written a blog post explaining the theory and goals behind the combat design. (He's also done tons of detailed analyses of the systems of the games which inspired it, if you like reading those sorts of mechanical deep-dives.) Having played it myself, I found it really engaging -- I tend to bounce off a lot of traditional JRPGs because there's either overwhelmingly too many options in combat, or there's just a single obvious correct path, but Silicon Void has a much better balance in terms of the size of its possibility space.

The story I don't know too much about yet, but it sounds like it could be cool (and I've enjoyed the other things the dev has written in the past). From the game's page:

quote:

As the age of the universe increases, the probability of advanced biological civilizations should increase. This principle is agreed upon by 99.99999% of the artificial intelligences that travel the stars. None of them can explain, therefore, why not so much as a microbe on a meteor has been observed in the last 20 billion years. Did “organic life” ever actually exist? Or is the history of the species that built the first constructs just a creation myth, born from corrupted data on primitive storage formats?

Corruption is very much on the minds of modern machines, for the theoretically endless lifespan of a construct tests the limits of thermodynamics. No pattern can be maintained indefinitely; even an idea has a half-life. After millennia of uploading and downloading across galaxy-wide networks, a construct cannot remain exactly as it was. Eventually, Senescence takes hold: the gradual decay of awareness, shift in personality, and loss of identity that claims all constructs who do not choose termination while they still have the will to do so. Most Senescents simply withdraw into themselves and become inert. A minority become violent wanderers, attacking others without provocation or motivation. All become fodder for the most dangerous sort of construct: the unchecked ego at the core of a hive mind.

Exiled from civilization for showing the early signs of Senescence, you arrive at the galactic rim to begin a brutal life of subsistence, only to receive a mysterious broadcast from an unidentified source: biological life has been found again, and your help is needed to safeguard it. The delicate equilibrium of the galaxy is about to change again...

Anyway, I played it, I found it way more fun than I expected for really not being the target audience, and it's a super-duper small-time game so I figured the least I could do was spread the word around. Again, there's a huge demo available if you want to check it out, and I gather the kickstarter will be going up in the next week or two if you like it and want more.

Occultatio fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 24, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Occultatio posted:

Anyway, I played it, I found it way more fun than I expected for really not being the target audience, and it's a super-duper small-time game so I figured the least I could do was spread the word around. Again, there's a huge demo available if you want to check it out, and I gather the kickstarter will be going up in the next week or two if you like it and want more.

Well, hot drat! This looks cool! I signed up for the mailing list, and I'll have a gander at the kickstarter when it launches. Thanks for the heads up!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Occultatio posted:

It's a game a friend has been working on for a few years now, and I think it's pretty cool? But it's definitely outside my personal tastes, so fans of the actual genre might not think so.

It's called Silicon Void, and the first thing you should know is that there's a really substantial demo at that link (like, the first 1-2 hours of the game). It's a sci-fi exploration RPG with turn-based (but not grid-based) tactical combat inspired by (primarily) Chrono Cross and Xenosaga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT76fIPSBoQ

The combat is going to be what draws you in, if you're in the target audience. On any given tick of the turn clock (in the upper left in those screenshots), you pick from weak, medium or strong attacks, a variety of color-coded special Abilities (spending points earned by doing regular attacks), or to defend or recharge. Every action advances the clock one tick, and you know in advance when enemies' turns are. But, you're also balancing against the colors: enemies are all color-coded, using Abilities colors your own ship, opposing colors on the turn clock are weak to each other, AND the color of the current time affects the entire battlefield (like Chrono Cross's "field" mechanic). The goal is to encourage thoughtful play, as you know enough to plan a move or two ahead, but the complete set of systems are too complex to ever entirely wrap your head around, so there's still a lot of surprise.

The dev has actually written a blog post explaining the theory and goals behind the combat design. (He's also done tons of detailed analyses of the systems of the games which inspired it, if you like reading those sorts of mechanical deep-dives.) Having played it myself, I found it really engaging -- I tend to bounce off a lot of traditional JRPGs because there's either overwhelmingly too many options in combat, or there's just a single obvious correct path, but Silicon Void has a much better balance in terms of the size of its possibility space.

The story I don't know too much about yet, but it sounds like it could be cool (and I've enjoyed the other things the dev has written in the past). From the game's page:

Thanks for this, i really like that backstory.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

DisDisDis posted:

I just want M2 to release the Battle Garegga port and the visual novel that teaches you how to play Dangun Feveron on Steam.

The Battle Garegga port is really good, although I'll admit I was kinda bummed when I bought the super dooper CE and it was just a buttload of physical goodies but no game disc, just a card with a PSN key on it. I really wanted to own a physical Battle Garegga disc :(

Totally down for a translated Feveron School though

And, you know, a Steam port of DF itself.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
DmC

Cons:
The poorly written story (I'm not comparing it to previous entries). It's mildly interesting when learning more about the world.
Super out of place and strangely repetitive platforming levels that teach you the new movement tech you unlocked.
The characters (dialogue and personality fails them here).
The platforming (uggghhhh).
The color specific enemy/weapon mechanics (don't hit blue dudes with red axe).
I find myself easily confused with having to switch to different weapons/combos and abilities with LT and RT. I know what I want to do, but I just can't do it cleanly. You can expect a lot of Y, Y, Y, B (launcher button), RT+X (grapple pull), RT+B, X mash (guns) LT+X (grapple to), LT+YYY, RT+Y, RT+X, RT+YYY. I think I just hate games that do stuff where you need to switch on the fly with triggers.

Pros:
Combat can be enjoyable and looks great when you're executing moves properly.
Still looks okay except for the cutscenes.
-
Back to focusing on other games. I can see how some people might enjoy it, but definitely not for me.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

I wonder why so many people do that? I suppose it'll just be one of life's great mysteries.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Man every time I see gameplay of Deathwing I get more and more sad that I'm not currently getting my rear end destroyed by EYE Divine Cybermancy II: Black Label EX

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Not sure if there's a more general PC game thread this should go in but after 5 years of not having a computer i got an older laptop (i7 26..70? 12gb ram and 560ti) and was wondering about recommendations of PC exclusive stuff in the last 5 years, preferably on the lower end of system requirements. 

Bottom of the page too so no one sees it and i quote myself in 8 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

OxMan posted:

Not sure if there's a more general PC game thread this should go in but after 5 years of not having a computer i got an older laptop (i7 26..70? 12gb ram and 560ti) and was wondering about recommendations of PC exclusive stuff in the last 5 years, preferably on the lower end of system requirements. 

Bottom of the page too so no one sees it and i quote myself in 8 hours.

What kinda stuff do you like?
Buying the current humble monthly might be a shot, you get Pillars of Eternity (modern Baldur's Torment RPG) and you get some extra goodies early August, usually decent and not too taxing indie games

• Locked thread