Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

kumba posted:

Turkey meatballs with jalapeņo, cucumber, edamame, peanuts, peanut sauce & cilantro over brown rice

Wanna put those balls in my mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
fried chicken and waffles and potato salad

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Butternut squash risotto, rosemary browned butter, toasted pine nuts, goat cheese.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Both of those look delicious.

angor posted:

Butternut squash risotto

Recipe?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

BrianBoitano posted:

Both of those look delicious.

Recipe?

I didn't really use one, and may have been half in the bag when I started cooking :D

Sweated down some onion and garlic while I heated some butternut squash puree I had in the freezer (roast butternut squash with salt and olive oil - blend). Added the rice to the aromatics and cooked until I got impatient. Then half a glass of white wine, stir, veg stock, stir, veg stock, stir, etc. Toward the end I added the now warm puree, salt and pepper. Threw some butter in a pan and some fresh rosemary as it started to bubble and browned (I wasn't actually going for brown butter, but it was a happy accident). Toasted up some pine nuts. Plated and crumbled some goat cheese over the top.

The rosemary got super crispy. The whole thing was insanely good. Will definitely be making this again!

angor fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 23, 2017

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

large hands posted:

fried chicken and waffles and potato salad

This looks beautiful, cool basil. Potato salad looks ballin' as I am totally pro-radish.
I'm gonna be the dude that says it though.
Why chicken and waffles? Why? This is a food thing that I just do not get. I get waffles, and I get good chicken. I do not get them together. There is just no reason for them to go together, I don't care what people say or how trendy it is. It's bullshit and stupid.
It'd be like "well mashed potatoes and jello both taste good and can both taste good together so put them together!" and then it became "a thing" and now it's supposed to be respected. I just don't get it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I mean it's a pretty old thing, soul food wise, and yes it got trendy with Tarantino putting it in a movie or whatever. But as to the "why?" of it I guess the answer, like many foods, is just "why not?"

Why eat grits with chitlins? Why put eggs in a burrito? Why eat boiled sea insects?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah, it's been a thing here in the south for a very long time. I used to put honey on my fried chicken but now I just really enjoy chicken and waffles. Sweet and savory go together? What's not to like about that?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ok cool check out my roast beef and pop tarts

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Weird thing to sperg out about. What's that, people like a little sweetness with their fried chicken? Haha how stupid, that's like eating glazed ham! Or putting brown sugar on a pork shoulder. Oh wait...I mean, it's like cooking onions until they caramelize! Uh...putting...taco meat on a birthday cake!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Perch fry and strawberry jam.
We got a hot new sensation here fellas! Sweet AND Savory!!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Weird thing to sperg out about. What's that, people like a little sweetness with their fried chicken? Haha how stupid, that's like eating glazed ham! Or putting brown sugar on a pork shoulder. Oh wait...I mean, it's like cooking onions until they caramelize! Uh...putting...taco meat on a birthday cake!

The gently caress are you talking about?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I'm not really sure why fried chicken and waffles needs any explanation in the context of the diabetes rate in the south. :shrug:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Garum with my candied figs, huh? How trendy and dumb

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You can tell us you're white in one post, you don't have to make a bunch of bad ones disparaging one of the best food combos ever.

My go-to chicken and waffle topping is honey and a pepper sauce of some kind (cholula, tobasco, etc.)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Have you eaten it? It's delicious.

It's basically a fried chicken sandwich (good) but the bread is fried (good) and you have an excuse to eat fried foods for brunch (good good good)

You don't even need syrup or honey for it to be a winning combination, that's just icing on the steak

Also try savory waffle BLTs:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You can tell us you're white in one post, you don't have to make a bunch of bad ones disparaging one of the best food combos ever.

My go-to chicken and waffle topping is honey and a pepper sauce of some kind (cholula, tobasco, etc.)

https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/56/28/00155826.0001.gif

:captainpop:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
other savory things that are good on waffles include sausages, bacon, eggs, ham, cheese and probably some other stuff. i like all those things with hot sauce but hell maple syrup is good too.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

large hands posted:

other savory things that are good on waffles include sausages, bacon, eggs, ham, cheese and probably some other stuff. i like all those things with hot sauce but hell maple syrup is good too.

Maple and hot sauce is pro.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

Perch fry and strawberry jam.
We got a hot new sensation here fellas! Sweet AND Savory!!

i actually like berry coulis on meats

e: maybe a sous vide chicken breast with strawberry/basil/black pepper salsa for dinner tonight

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Berries go great with wild meat. Sweet and savory have gone together since we had tongues. That dude sucks.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
heres another hosed up waffle i made ages ago. this one has tenderloin, blue cheese a poached egg and hollandaise

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil did you ever hear about Chicken and Waffles when we were younger? The whole time in NOLA growing up I'm not sure that I ever did. Really only recently heard about it being touted as a 'Southern' thing but never saw it much personally. Could just be I never went to the right places but I kinda had the suspicion of it being more of a marketing thing than actually a southern thing.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It's been a thing in Atlanta since the early 90's at least.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I never heard of it until the early 2000s, but I didn't really eat or know about soul food growing up---of my family only my maternal grandmother is southern, everyone else is french and italian so that is the kind of food I grew up eating. Just reading a bit about C&W it does seem to be something that maybe migrated down here from the northeast in the first half of the 20th century.

e. I mean everyone eats fried chicken, corn bread, grits, macaroni and cheese and other things that could be called "soul food" but I didn't have an understanding of it as such.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

angor posted:

The whole thing was insanely good. Will definitely be making this again!

I always used butternut in London because that's about all I could find at the typical Tesco but now I can get acorn squash and :swoon: delicata squash, there's no going back!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

The story I'd heard about chicken and waffles was that rather than in the south, it originated around Harlem jazz clubs, where the musicians would finish their sets in the wee hours of the morning, too late for dinner but too early for breakfast.

Edit: Okay, here we go, a little later than planned. Lately I've been on a serious prosciutto kick and I wanted to get outside my comfort zone, so I decided to try my hand at pizza. For the proof-of-concept I got some predone pan pizza crusts, mixed a little merlot and crushed garlic with my marinara sauce, and topping-wise I went with shredded prosciutto, sundried tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella. While they were baking (I did two for redundancy/backup's sake) I also tried poaching some eggs and here is how it turned out:

Since they both turned out well I had some friends help eat them and now I'm looking forward to trying a more involved homemade crust attempt!

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 23, 2017

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Since pineapples are cheap right now I made some sweet and sour pork belly and served it in the husk for the kids. They got a p good kick out of it. There's fried rice underneath the pork so they could just eat out of them as bowls.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!
The only answer to 'too much ragu'

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Seriously one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Is that a Cuban I see there? How'd you do that pork?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
That's insane . You made a Cuban Sandwich from scratch!!

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Is that a Cuban I see there? How'd you do that pork?

That is indeed a cuban.

I followed the recipe from Andrew Rea - Binging With Babish - here: https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipe/2017/3/28/cubanos-inspired-by-chef

Edit: and found this authentic-looking bread recipe: https://icuban.com/food/pan_cubano2.html

blixa fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 24, 2017

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

blixa posted:

That is indeed a cuban.

I followed the recipe from Andrew Rea - Binging With Babish - here: https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipe/2017/3/28/cubanos-inspired-by-chef

Edit: and found this authentic-looking bread recipe: https://icuban.com/food/pan_cubano2.html

Thank you. That looks fantastic by the way. As a Tampa native I'll say it's a shame there's no salami, gonna have to modify that recipe slightly.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Made a dinner for some friends, came out ok.

Bruschetta

Lamb ribs with potato gratin and beans with almonds.

Finally got a chance to make whipped cream :). Also a layer cake made with berries and shaved orange peel which was delicious...

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I've been meaning to make proper falafel ever since I got a falafel dropper thingy. Finally got around to doing it.

Fresh out of the fryer

Interior

Lunch!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh man my 1.5 Tbsp ice cream scoop works well enough but those are gorgeous!

:10bux: and some drawer space might be worth a falafel dropper thingy.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!
Those are some moist looking falafel right there.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
tacos! steak, pico, avocado, cilantro, lime crema

sockeye salmon, spicy soba noodles w/ eggplant, cucumber, green onion, kale, cilantro. recipe shamelessly stolen from blue apron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Ranter posted:

Those are some moist looking falafel right there.

I think they actually could've done with a touch more liquid in the mix. Will soak for a full 24 hours next time (this was 15) and maybe up the onion slightly. They were incredibly crispy/crunch on the outside which was really nice. Overall I was pretty drat pleased with them!