Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Lozareth posted:

What do you do at the level cap in PoE? I know the early game really blows so I'm leery of returning to an arpg that isn't fun for leveling.

I'll answer on the leveling side:

Again, keep in mind I've been leveling with Thera and Degs but I think there is hope the new expansion makes leveling move at a better pace and not feel like such a slog. Coming out of Act 10, you should be at a great point to begin endgame. Endgame is something I personally can't comment on but I know that we have tons of goons who love to push through the endgame.

I'm hoping and expecting leveling to become less of a grind because of the flow of the game. Either way, I'm excited to see what the "BUE" has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Lozareth posted:

What do you do at the level cap in PoE? I know the early game really blows so I'm leery of returning to an arpg that isn't fun for leveling.

Once you finish the story, you grind an endless number of randomly generated maps with random affixes/multiple tiers and hope to get lucky with drops (lol) or get poo poo you can sell for currency/get lucky with currency drops, so you can trade for the gear you need to finish/optimize your build. I guess there is the labyrinth now too, but I think it is still mostly map grinding. There is solo self-found too, if you don't like trading, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you enjoy pain.

Once you complete your build, you either make a new character or keep grinding maps for xp and currency for other characters you want to make.

Aside from that, there are a couple end game bosses, like Atziri and Shaper for when you get to mid 70s - 80s, but those require you farm or buy the pop items and require your build/gear to be not terrible or you won't have enough dps to kill them.

Reaching the level cap takes forever too, like D2 used to, so no point in striving for that. Not to mention you lose xp when you die after a certain level in softcore/standard league, so it is easy to erase hours upon hours of xp gains with a single death at the higher levels.

madcow fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 24, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lozareth posted:

The level cap is vritually unreachable so don't worry about it.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Lozareth posted:

it's not a game where you hit level cap and it starts. you make a plan for the gameplay you want, level it to maps and gear it out via trading, play it until you are tired of it, then trade the gear away and reroll. most people plan their builds to be done at levels 85-90 because the halfway point to level 100 is 97.25 or something

also of note is that levelling is a skill/knowledge thing that improves greatly with practice. knowing what levelling items to trade for before hand, when to kill stuff vs when to skip, knowing where the non-randomized areas of maps are so that you don't waste time travelling - all that stuff adds up

ndub fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 24, 2017

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

All right, this link is available for 24 hours. I made a discord to stay connected with you all. All I ask is just keep it classy. Have fun though. The phone app is awesome too!

That link didn't actually do anything on my computer. I just use the discord program, is there a way to just search for it in there?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At the bottom of the server list on the left side there's a join button. it's a plus sign in a circle.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Levels in PoE are relatively meaningless except for gates to skill gems and skill points. Part of the meta is to stay about 3 levels below suggested and then grind a bit in a couple of areas to get the most bang for your buck.
The worst part of levelling is that some builds dont really see their benefits until waay late. Something like essence drain can show its benefits well before the end of act 2.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Ghostlight posted:

The level cap is vritually unreachable so don't worry about it.

*settles in for a ride of mechanics which were stupid in 2001*

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

if your build isn't functional and fun by 70 you hosed up. incidentally this is right where the campaign ends and maps start

even then, anything not based on a high level unique should be good to go by 28ish at the latest

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Lozareth posted:

The actual answer is "Make a New Character". The game is entirely constructed around breaking their obtuse system and seasonal ladders.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
The real goal for each league is reaching at least 36 challenges for the mtx or the full 40 if the league is any good.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I think you'll like this loz if you stick with it. You seem to be into min/maxxing builds in MH to get that top tier TTK. In this game you can min/max your build to get that sweet super fast clearing. Or just making something crazy work. Yes you have to re-level but once you get good it's like 6 hours out of your life. And there are offline programs that let you plan out your builds to an extent so you can know it will work and you just need the items. Then as you get higher or get a new item you can adjust it.

There's a streamer who is popular because he is really good at the game but he is also really good at creating builds that no one has thought of. MH looks to have given you guys lots of hours. This game will do the same.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Seconding that holyshit. drat, that was Shakespearean.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
POE is a clusterfuck of bad design decisions, Japanese F2P cell phone game UI, and ugly environments that kind of makes me want to die, namaste

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
I got all excited seeing 30+ posts. Thought they launched Omega items or something.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

POE is a clusterfuck of bad design decisions, Japanese F2P cell phone game UI, and ugly environments that kind of makes me want to die, namaste

lol

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

it's like the diaper bin for the lovechild of diablo 2 and puzzle & dragons

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68
How DARE you deface the poop game!!!

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

Let's be honest, everyone who is in this thread has a special affinity for terrible games, so POE fits right in. The only thing it is lacking is vibrant colors and big bulges, although I suppose some of the MTXs can be colorful.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cease to Hope posted:

So exactly like Marvel Heroes.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Ghostlight posted:

So exactly like Marvel Heroes.

Marble Herons isn't entirely poop colored.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

sgbyou posted:

This is true. Its poop flavour goes deeper than that.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Saint Freak posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/886325797639700480

First Person Raconing

Beloved Marvel characters Lady Hitler, Teledog, Trash Panda, and Mark Ruffalo.

I played this at Comic-Con. I just kept grabbing dudes as Hulk and throwing them at other dudes. Or at walls. It was fun as heck!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

sgbyou posted:

and it has a better UI

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
PoE is a poo poo game. poo poo coloured, poo poo systems. There are reasons why I can't even complete a single playthrough of that game.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

and it has a better UI

that's a stretch

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

is that a mr fantastic joke?????

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Kokoro Wish posted:

PoE is a poo poo game. poo poo coloured, poo poo systems. There are reasons why I can't even complete a single playthrough of that game.

What are the reasons you keep playing this game? We need a full picture of how broken you are

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Rufio posted:

What are the reasons you keep playing this game? We need a full picture of how broken you are

I'm pretty sure Kokomo Wishes tried to convince us that ranged hulk was able to contribute meaningful dps during a musp raid

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Never did take a "Kokoro Build" into a raid. Aside from one time with Summoner Cage. Mostly took in Venom and Winter Soldier.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just picked this up, is their a summoner class like D2's necromancer?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Turtlicious posted:

Just picked this up, is their a summoner class like D2's necromancer?

I never played Diablo 2 but no. That's what people originally thought Squirrel Girl would be like, but wasn't. Then we thought maybe you could build Doom like that but no. Then for sure Nick Fury would be like that, but nope. Even if you do all-summon builds and gearing, your max DPS is going to require you to also be constantly attacking yourself. I don't really do summoner builds but maybe someone else can chime in, is Doom still the best summon heavy build? Or there any others even close like did Luke Cage get his summons buffed at any point?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The D2 necro had (by today's standards) fairly absurd numbers of minions running around at all times. Nothing in MH even comes close to it, I'm afraid.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, no-one is able to do what D2's necromancer did, but he had a lot of debuffs, and a few specific minions that were good at individualized things, and you were more a commander than a fighter? But yeah, the closest thing to that would be cool. I'm kind of set on trying everything out.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm kind of happy though, it looks like this build is what I want.

http://marvelheroes.info/build/2693/

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Turtlicious posted:

I'm kind of happy though, it looks like this build is what I want.

http://marvelheroes.info/build/2693/

Have fun finding Moleman. :gaz:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More like good luck grinding out the 200 eternity shards so that you can play the hero you want, that's painful and came really fast.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Summoner Rogue is closest to the D2 necromancer and quite effective as well.

Edit: Woops, I see now that's the build you linked.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Turtlicious posted:

More like good luck grinding out the 200 eternity shards so that you can play the hero you want, that's painful and came really fast.

Moleman isn't in the game anymore, so I dare say this will take you less time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Previous to the BUE, Magik was the D2 Necromancer analogue. I'm not sure if she still is. but she practically had a lot of the abilities that the D2 Necromancer did, including poison nova, bone wall, a bastardized corpse explosion, and several of the D2 Necro curses(but you could only have a few effects up in a single build).

edit: I'm not sure how much she kept of her old stuff since she kinda had a lot going on, including a teleporting melee build.