Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Finally, the manufacturer of a piece of clothing determines what sub abilities it can roll. Each manufacturer has one sub ability it favors, which is more likely to be rolled. Each also has one that it dislikes, which has a lower chance to be rolled.

Again, this is all based on the first game. Stands to reason that it applies here too, but no guarantees.

It's the same, even the Brand likes/dislikes are the same since it lists it on the SplatNet/Annie's shop

Also there's an easy to farm +50% xp ticket near the stage 6 entrance and a +50% coin reward ticket near the stage 27 entrance. Just exit and come back to octo canyon and they'll have respawned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

What confused some people about the app-shop gear being different, is that for the first hour or two post-launch there were gear pieces in the shop there that had the wrong primary skills on them. If you were fast you could have bought them. Nintendo is patching them out in the next content update but for now there's some people with 'impossible' gear out there somewhere.

Normally, it's supposed to be the same kind of gear you can get in-game, just some different stuff from what's currently being offered.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

By light they mean ARMS is not really a fighter. It doesn't have combos and every attack is functionally a "neutral." Very few strategies dominate high level play and they aren't that interesting (and often amount to cheese).

ARMS plays smoothly that's the only thing I can say about it that is really very positive. It's just very shallow and by shallow I mean empty.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Internet Kraken posted:

I like that they put in a way to fast forward Sheldon's occasional dialogue but not the newscast you get upon booting up the game every single time.
lol if you don't just keep Splatoon running in the background for the entirety of your Switch gaming experience.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

g0lbez posted:

It being boring was my main concern. Guess I'll wait until it's on sale in four years

Arms is incredible but I can't recommend it right now to people who aren't fighting game fans, just like I wouldn't gave recommended splatoon 1 to non shootet fans when it first came: it's currently light on content. Wait a little bit, it's currently doing the free update thing just like splatoon 1 did.

Also give both motion and non motion controls a try, it's one of the few games where both are equally good imo

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

Could I get like a two or three sentence review if you don't mind

Arms is what a fighting game would be like if everyone was Street Fighter 3: Second Impact Sean.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

bizarre deformity posted:

You can get Ink Resistance Up as a sub-ability on any gear now, not just as a main ability on Shoes like in the first game, so I think they might have changed it for other abilities as well.

Edit: ARMS is good, not as good as Splatoon though

Possibly, but Ink Resistance in this game mentions that you also take less damage, so That aspect might stack.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Shot in the back, and you're to blame
You give "teammate" a bad name

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I don't know that curling bombs are as fun as seekers were in 1, but I do like the curling launcher super on the Aerospray.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lakbay posted:

poo poo I thought the Hero Weapons were there own kits with their own stats, thanks for saving me replaying levels

I'm pretty sure they're non-unique kits but I could be wrong, no good resource yet for loadouts. All I know is that the hero shot is literally just the level 2 splattershot kit with identical stats, splashdown, and burst bombs. But it also is the most visually distinct reskin and probably the only one worth getting. As much as I love carrying with Octobrush in splat zone, it really hurts when you're on a team with multiple brushes and you get completely shut down once the other team gets solid footing on high ground, and the splattershot is just a solid all around gun for all Ranked modes. Splash downing out of super jump is also entertaining as poo poo.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

is there some other purpose of buying gear with less than three sub slots other than fashion? I know you can just invest more poo poo into it to unlock full sub slots, but I was wondering if even "trash" gear had a use in chunking or something

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Futaba Anzu posted:

is there some other purpose of buying gear with less than three sub slots other than fashion? I know you can just invest more poo poo into it to unlock full sub slots, but I was wondering if even "trash" gear had a use in chunking or something

You have to unlock slots to break them down for ability gems or whatever you call them. So yeah, there's point in any gear basically. You'll have to wear it to unlock the gems, but I'm pretty sure items with fewer gems unlock the gems faster, so... yeah.

And if something is fashionable, then you can expand it to be max level like you said.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

DaveKap posted:

Could someone here explain to me, or show me a guide for, how to upload pictures that weren't hand-drawn onto the Splatnet? Google's got nothing and someone in another thread said you had to upload it by replacing a screenshot on your switch's SD card... except the microsd card is in a format that can't be read by Windows 7 as far as I can tell. What am I missing here?

Use the D-pad and color in each pixel by hand.

That's literally it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DaveKap posted:

except the microsd card is in a format that can't be read by Windows 7 as far as I can tell. What am I missing here?

Dunno but this is wrong, Windows should read it just fine.

I mean it'll complain and say "this drive is damaged" or some poo poo because Microsoft is stupid, but it'll still read the files perfectly well.

Kazy posted:

Use the D-pad and color in each pixel by hand.

That's literally it.

Somebody did post earlier about a guy who had some capture device hooked up and he was tracing images on a computer or tablet or something. So that's not literally it, but unless you're willing to invest money that's it.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Got this game yesterday and it's absolutely fun as hell.....when I've gotten to play it. My generally non-gamer 7 year old daughter is obsessed and won't share the switch. Hahahahaha.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I just reached B- in Tower Control

Holy Buckets and Brushes Batman!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheJetCityFix posted:

Got this game yesterday and it's absolutely fun as hell.....when I've gotten to play it. My generally non-gamer 7 year old daughter is obsessed and won't share the switch. Hahahahaha.
Time to get a second Switch!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DaveKap posted:

Could someone here explain to me, or show me a guide for, how to upload pictures that weren't hand-drawn onto the Splatnet? Google's got nothing and someone in another thread said you had to upload it by replacing a screenshot on your switch's SD card... except the microsd card is in a format that can't be read by Windows 7 as far as I can tell. What am I missing here?

https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/Switch-Fightstick

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
All I want in Salmon Rush random matches is for people to put the balls in the cage, and say This Way when they see a boss

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Futaba Anzu posted:

It may be worth it based on the manufacturer brand of the gear. If the 3-slot version has a manufacturer that dislikes a skill you want (making it much less likely to appear) , or likes a skill you don't want (making it much more likely to appear) , then it would probably be better to get a lower-tier version that has a better brand.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody did post earlier about a guy who had some capture device hooked up and he was tracing images on a computer or tablet or something. So that's not literally it, but unless you're willing to invest money that's it.
He was displaying the game on his pc and was overlaying a picture on top (he was still drawing pixel by pixel using the controller though).

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I'm really not digging single player this time around. Why bother to upgrade weapons if that fuckbreath Sheldon will just force me to use something lovely that I hate like a charger or a bucket :argh:

I would enjoy it a fuckton more if the Sheldon nonsense was optional for extra orange balls or something.

"Herp here's a bucket, have fun with octosnipers and platforming while under fire from outside your range"

And is it just me or do the octolings sometimes seem to cheat a bit? Sometimes I'll have one practically surrounded in ink and they squid (octo?) up and zip right through my ink without flopping about like I do.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CodfishCartographer posted:

It may be worth it based on the manufacturer brand of the gear. If the 3-slot version has a manufacturer that dislikes a skill you want (making it much less likely to appear) , or likes a skill you don't want (making it much more likely to appear) , then it would probably be better to get a lower-tier version that has a better brand.

On the other hand scrubs cost 20k no matter what so it might be worth it just to keep leveling 3 slotters

(I don't play salmon run religiously/win a lot so if you're swimming in money disregard this)

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I bet that the paintable area under the bridge in the map "the reef" isn't counted at the total. It's probably a top projection (and thus why walls don't count).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hit Profreshinal or whatever and saw the Mothership for the first time. No one knew what to do expect attack the minions it was spawning. Is there a actual way to fight the mothership itself?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I thought walls counted for turf war. Do they not?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bill Barber posted:

Nope. The drawbridges on the shipyard don't count either even if they're in a lowered position.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bill Barber posted:

No, but always keep an eye out for important vertical paths to ink.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lakbay posted:

On the other hand scrubs cost 20k no matter what so it might be worth it just to keep leveling 3 slotters

(I don't play salmon run religiously/win a lot so if you're swimming in money disregard this)

Yeah, didn't necessarily say it was cheap, just that there was a reason to do so. If you wanna minmax to get the freshest load out and rise up ranked, paying attention to brands is important.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I only got one game of Salmon Run in tonight, but it was a loss that demoted me to Overachiever. I've never felt so sad about losing before.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hit Profreshinal or whatever and saw the Mothership for the first time. No one knew what to do expect attack the minions it was spawning. Is there a actual way to fight the mothership itself?

You can only shoot the mother ship when it tries to steel the eggs back. Mostly your just shooting the drones.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I only got one game of Salmon Run in tonight, but it was a loss that demoted me to Overachiever. I've never felt so sad about losing before.

Let me tell you about going from S to A+ in ranked.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I know killing someone with the brushes isn't the point but when you get the jump on someone should you not bump them with the brush and proceed to mash the shoot/melee button?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JackDarko posted:

I know killing someone with the brushes isn't the point but when you get the jump on someone should you not bump them with the brush and proceed to mash the shoot/melee button?

If I'm running a brush, I'm going for kills and disruption by making people chase me down, personally. If I want coverage or playing like a normal person, I'm grabbing a roller or the aerospray.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jarogue posted:

Let me tell you about going from S to A+ in ranked.

I never played much ranked, but I believe it.

Love the new avatar, by the way.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Echophonic posted:

If I'm running a brush, I'm going for kills and disruption by making people chase me down, personally. If I want coverage or playing like a normal person, I'm grabbing a roller or the aerospray.

Interesting so you're a pest? You smack the enemy then run while leaving an ink trail. I need ninja swim before I can do that effectively I think.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
^^^Ninja squid is alright, but Ink Resistance is more important so you don't get caught up on enemy ink when flailing about. Being a pest isn't a bad idea, but never give up the chance to splat a dude. Also, don't go into a group unless you're super confident, as you'll probably get killed. If someone isn't alone, just go find someone else to splat.

JackDarko posted:

Ink/octo brushes are all about murdering fools. You approach from a blind spot then mash the poo poo out of the trigger to try and kill them. If they see you coming or manage to get away, you should back off. Any ranged weapon will tear you to shreds, so if they can put distance between you then you're probably dead if you stick around. Use your paint run to bail ASAP if things go poorly. You should never intentionally bump someone with the brush, instead get in their face and then tear it off.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 24, 2017

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

TheJetCityFix posted:

I don't think my wife ever touched a shooter before Splatoon 2* and now she's in the living room yelling at TV while she tries to level up in ranked. The temptation to buy another system is real.

*to be honest I don't think she ever really sat down and played a non-phone video game before BOTW, which she sunk like 150 hours into. Nintendo killed it with the Switch, at least in my household.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bowmore posted:

Time to get a second Switch!

I'd love to get one, but nowhere local seems to have them. And gently caress paying an extra 100ish to get one from Amazon.

I just wanna fight for Mayo, goddamn.

e - also the Bucket is both cool and good.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 24, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Enos Shenk posted:

I'm really not digging single player this time around. Why bother to upgrade weapons if that fuckbreath Sheldon will just force me to use something lovely that I hate like a charger or a bucket :argh:

I would enjoy it a fuckton more if the Sheldon nonsense was optional for extra orange balls or something.

"Herp here's a bucket, have fun with octosnipers and platforming while under fire from outside your range"

And is it just me or do the octolings sometimes seem to cheat a bit? Sometimes I'll have one practically surrounded in ink and they squid (octo?) up and zip right through my ink without flopping about like I do.

You're only forced to use a weapon in a stage until you beat it. The stages are tailored to the weapon, too, so while the bucket has a short range there's tons of walls for you to stand behind and splat enemies. I upgraded my ink, unlocked bombs and bumped the starting gun to level 2 (since level 1 is so slow) by the time I'd beaten the campaign.

As for the octolings, they are less affected by ink than you are, but not by a lot. They're pretty easy to take down if you're aggressive and keep moving, while keeping in mind you're armor situation. From no armor pickups you can take one lethal hit, after which you'll be slowed down for a few seconds until your armor regenerates. Each armor pickup adds another hit, up to two. While down to your last hit you should pull back and wait until your armor comes back, but with armor you can be pretty aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Zaphod42 posted:

That was me :v: Still involved doing it pixel by pixel with the D-Pad but the tracing just made it easier for me since I have 0 art skill.