Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

BadAstronaut posted:

A lot of you will be familiar with all of this already seeing as you may have been around since the days when it was still Good Old Games, but if you're interested, here's an interview I did with GOG's senior PR Manager Lukasz Kukawski:
https://steemit.com/gaming/@badastroza/interesting-people-8-lukasz-kukawski-on-the-history-of-gog-com

I was at a bar in Seattle with Lukasz in 2011 and he gave me a code for VR Soccer '96 as a gift. I'm glad he's back with GOG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Clouseau posted:

The humans themselves are less dumb than lemmings which will easily and happily walk to their death.

Man, I wish we got Lemmings on gog

Lemmings was on the disc that came with the CD drive my parents put in our IBM PS1. That game was my jam back in the day. I haven't played it in like 20 years, though, wonder how it holds up.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Commander Keenan posted:

I was at a bar in Seattle with Lukasz in 2011 and he gave me a code for VR Soccer '96 as a gift. I'm glad he's back with GOG.

Yeah, he was a really cool guy to talk to. Second part is here if you're interested in more:
https://steemit.com/gaming/@badastroza/interesting-people-9-lukasz-kukawski-on-working-public-relations-in-the-games-industry

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Does GOG still release classic games from time to time? It feels like they focus more on contemporary and indie games now

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Willo567 posted:

Does GOG still release classic games from time to time? It feels like they focus more on contemporary and indie games now

there aren't many more classic games left dude

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Willo567 posted:

the humans was released this past week

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Willo567 posted:

They've got most of the ones tons of people would want that aren't caught in licensing hell. There's the occasionally lesser known game now and then but there's also still a few big ones that are probably just caught up in legal tape. SWAT4 got released not that long ago.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Still hoping someone can find a way to get locus to run on a modern pc so I can post about it in the games that don't hold up thread

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

there aren't many more classic games left dude
Pre-Unreal Epic Megagames stuff like Jazz Jackrabbit and Extreme Pinball. More Take-Two Stuff like Max Payne and the early GTAs. Microsoft stuff like Age of Empires. More EA stuff like Black & White and Dune. More Activision stuff like the Raven library (Heretic, Hexen etc.) and MechWarrior 2. More LucasArts stuff. And so on and so forth.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I also imagine that GOG doesn't sell games they can't get at least somewhat reliably working on various modern OS's and hardware.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Honestly, if they're pacing themselves, it's wise. The excitement curve for an old game getting release peaks and plummets very quickly, and we're back to, "I thought this was Good Old Games, where are the Good Old Games..."

I'm still waiting for Carr Software to show up. (http://www.carrsoft.com/)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They should get Moraffware.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Oh wow, now there's a name I haven't seen in a few decades. I loved the Moraff dungeon crawling games, even if I only ever had the shareware versions.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

doctorfrog posted:

I'm still waiting for Carr Software to show up. (http://www.carrsoft.com/)

I'm definitely game for some Capture The Flag.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Kins posted:

Pre-Unreal Epic Megagames stuff like Jazz Jackrabbit and Extreme Pinball. More Take-Two Stuff like Max Payne and the early GTAs. Microsoft stuff like Age of Empires. More EA stuff like Black & White and Dune. More Activision stuff like the Raven library (Heretic, Hexen etc.) and MechWarrior 2. More LucasArts stuff. And so on and so forth.

There's also a lot of stuff from the Sierra catalog that still hasn't shown up. They've had they rights from Activision for a long time, but games like Laura Bow and Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist have only been made available within the last year or so. You've got game like EcoQuest, the Shivers games, the Manhunter series, and Hunter Hunted. There's also stuff from some of the divisions/acquisitions like Dynamix and Coktel Vision that still haven't seen a digital re-release (Stellar 7, Rise of the Dragon, Earthsiege, 3-D Ultra Pinball: Creep Night, Heart of China, Woodruff and the Schnibble, Inca)

The Heretic/Hexen games and classic GTAs are on Steam already, but having them on GOG would be cool too. (Though I think with the classic GTAs, you can only get them in a bundle pack; they're not available for individual sale).

Despite offering a lot of their classic games, Blizzard doesn't offer Diablo 1 in any capacity. The Legend Entertainment games would also be pretty cool to see (Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, Death Gate).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Despite offering a lot of their classic games, Blizzard doesn't offer Diablo 1 in any capacity. The Legend Entertainment games would also be pretty cool to see (Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, Death Gate).
Blizzard are loathe to re-visit the pre-Starcraft period of their history. They apparently got Warcraft 1 running in a window on modern platforms, but axed a proper re-release because, and I quote, "I promise you, in today's world, by today's standards, it's just not that fun any more."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I know it's harder to get classic games, but I have yet to see any of SegaSoft's stuff or even Sega's 90's PC ports and I can't imagine that at least the latter would be hard considering Sega of Europe is 100% a PC division.

Additionally, GOG really has to improve their DOSBox offer; it's quite outdated and the default settings they use per game don't fit entirely quite a few times; a bit more polish (no pun intended) here would be much appreciated.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Additionally, GOG really has to improve their DOSBox offer; it's quite outdated and the default settings they use per game don't fit entirely quite a few times; a bit more polish (no pun intended) here would be much appreciated.
The DOSBox devs haven't put out a stable official release since 2010. Everything since then has been SVN snapshots and community builds with fan-patches strapped on.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Kins posted:

Blizzard are loathe to re-visit the pre-Starcraft period of their history. They apparently got Warcraft 1 running in a window on modern platforms, but axed a proper re-release because, and I quote, "I promise you, in today's world, by today's standards, it's just not that fun any more."

That reminds me of the whole debacle with the Nostalrius server for World of Warcraft, and that actually had a pretty big following if I remember correctly .

It'd be one thing if they didn't think the games would sell that well, but they're aren't even offering them as free downloads. Thing is, they have Blackthorne and The Lost Vikings available through Blizzard's website, and I believe those both predate Diablo 1 and Warcraft 1. I heard the issue with Diablo 1 might have to do with the fact that it had no CD keys, but I don't know why that would be an issue. I've even heard that while you can't buy Warcraft 2, you can still play online with Battle.net.

The Kins posted:

The DOSBox devs haven't put out a stable official release since 2010. Everything since then has been SVN snapshots and community builds with fan-patches strapped on.

That's something that I've been wanting to ask about for the longest time. Did the dev team just disappear or what? Seven years without update makes it sound like the project's been abandoned. I can't imagine they decided that version 0.74 worked well enough for everything.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Max Wilco posted:

That's something that I've been wanting to ask about for the longest time. Did the dev team just disappear or what? Seven years without update makes it sound like the project's been abandoned. I can't imagine they decided that version 0.74 worked well enough for everything.
qbix and friends are still chipping away at it. The last official commit was earlier this month: https://sourceforge.net/p/dosbox/code-0/commit_browser

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

The dev team still exists and has still been maintaining the emulator all this time with new features like mounting multiple floppy images at once, they're just in absolutely no hurry to release a new version for some bizarre reason.

EDIT: New Interplay Sale. Apparently Interplay prices will be going up at the end of the sale. Given how Interplay have been putting incredibly poorly configured old games on Steam recently (and by "poorly configured" I mean things like missing music or accidentally packing a GOG copy of Battle Chess in the game folder) to basically no success, I suspect they're getting a bit desperate.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 24, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Kins posted:

EDIT: New Interplay Sale. Apparently Interplay prices will be going up at the end of the sale. Given how Interplay have been putting incredibly poorly configured old games on Steam recently (and by "poorly configured" I mean things like missing music or accidentally packing a GOG copy of Battle Chess in the game folder) to basically no success, I suspect they're getting a bit desperate.

"We're desperate" has been Interplay's unofficial motto for the past decade. I wouldn't be surprised if their office is in someone's garage at this point.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

"We're desperate" has been Interplay's unofficial motto for the past decade. I wouldn't be surprised if their office is in someone's garage at this point.
They've been trying to sell off their IP library for quite a while, but they've been insisting on doing it as an all-or-nothing sale of everything they have. Either they've finally found a buyer and are trying to squeeze a final few bucks out of their library before the sale finishes, or (far more likely) nobody's bitten and they're trying to keep the doors open.

That, or they're seriously convinced that people are willing to pay $20 for Earthworm Jim 3D, in which case I have no words.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

Interplay outright stole a mod author's widescreen fix for Fallout and packaged it in their Steam version, he responded by blackballing the Steam version making it unable to use the fix.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Kins posted:

The dev team still exists and has still been maintaining the emulator all this time with new features like mounting multiple floppy images at once, they're just in absolutely no hurry to release a new version for some bizarre reason.

The Star Trek adventure games and Academy are absolutely worth picking up at this price. I'm really surprised that Subwar 2050 is in there, I could have sworn that was a Microprose title.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Kins posted:

That, or they're seriously convinced that people are willing to pay $20 for Earthworm Jim 3D, in which case I have no words.

I'm the 150x110 sized screenshots on that page.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Max Wilco posted:

Warcraft 1
Blizzard is ashamed of it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm not saying they shouldn't release it, but did people actually like Warcraft 1? I saw it on a friend's machine and found it pretty mediocre, myself (I did love original C&C by way of comparison).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

it truly was warcrap

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Kins posted:

So what's the best build of DOSBox currently available right now?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Kins posted:

They've been trying to sell off their IP library for quite a while, but they've been insisting on doing it as an all-or-nothing sale of everything they have. Either they've finally found a buyer and are trying to squeeze a final few bucks out of their library before the sale finishes, or (far more likely) nobody's bitten and they're trying to keep the doors open.

They don't seriously expect anybody except the most gullible to buy it for $20. They expect a lot of people to buy it for "75% OFF $5 ONLY!!!!!"

Head North
May 19, 2017

by zen death robot

Kangra posted:

I'm not saying they shouldn't release it, but did people actually like Warcraft 1? I saw it on a friend's machine and found it pretty mediocre, myself (I did love original C&C by way of comparison).

It definitely shows it's age, but I played through it again a few months ago and still found it playable and fun. I remember getting it on a demo disc when I was a kid, and that was the first time I'd ever played anything like it. Real-time strategy is still one of my favorite genres.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Willo567 posted:

So what's the best build of DOSBox currently available right now?

The latest builds on EmuCR or YKHWong's Daum if you don't mind another build that is a bit out of date.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I'll always have fond memories of, and defend, Warcraft 1 for being able to run dialup games at....pretty sure 2400 if not 14.4k.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Max Wilco posted:

There's also a lot of stuff from the Sierra catalog that still hasn't shown up. They've had they rights from Activision for a long time, but games like Laura Bow and Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist have only been made available within the last year or so. You've got game like EcoQuest, the Shivers games, the Manhunter series, and Hunter Hunted. There's also stuff from some of the divisions/acquisitions like Dynamix and Coktel Vision that still haven't seen a digital re-release (Stellar 7, Rise of the Dragon, Earthsiege, 3-D Ultra Pinball: Creep Night, Heart of China, Woodruff and the Schnibble, Inca)

The Heretic/Hexen games and classic GTAs are on Steam already, but having them on GOG would be cool too. (Though I think with the classic GTAs, you can only get them in a bundle pack; they're not available for individual sale).

They both probably suck now, but I would buy Rise of the Dragon and Shannara full price just for the sake of nostalgia.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
My big gog wants are Lemmings and Sim Golf. In fact, all of the other non-city Sim games (Farm, Ant, Life, etc)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Earthsiege and Starsiege are the ones I'd like to have really. I mean, you can download them for free anyway, but I'd like a version that's had the Dosbox kinks worked out and with some nice extras.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
My requests haven't changed for a long time:

Tons of random DOS games. Just the retail versions of all that garbage you found on shareware CDs. I've always thought they could get these okay/bad DOS games and sell them for super cheap.
Every PC port of PS1 games. (Metal Gear Solid, Dino Crisis, etc.)
Heavy Gear 1/2
Necrodome
Titanic: Adventure Out of Time
Project IGI
Blade Runner
Freelancer
Soldier of Fortune 1/2
Command & Conquer series

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commander Keenan posted:

My requests haven't changed for a long time:

Tons of random DOS games. Just the retail versions of all that garbage you found on shareware CDs. I've always thought they could get these okay/bad DOS games and sell them for super cheap.
Every PC port of PS1 games. (Metal Gear Solid, Dino Crisis, etc.)
Heavy Gear 1/2
Necrodome
Titanic: Adventure Out of Time
Project IGI
Blade Runner
Freelancer
Soldier of Fortune 1/2
Command & Conquer series

C&C Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert and Tiberian Sun were officially declared Freeware by EA, so just go hunting for them. CNC Net seems to have installers for modern OS's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

C&C Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert and Tiberian Sun were officially declared Freeware by EA, so just go hunting for them. CNC Net seems to have installers for modern OS's.

EA does also sell the C&C collection on Origin and it works just fine.