Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Ayra please pet your dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Shooting Blanks posted:

Has it ever been explained why the three eyed raven is important? Great, he can see the past. Is there a known reason it's so central to the story, or is that part of the big reveal?

He can not only see into the past, but shape it - thereby altering the present and future. Or something.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Ayra please pet your dog

She said that wasn't her.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kromlech posted:

He can not only see into the past, but shape it - thereby altering the present and future. Or something.

I dunno about altering the present. Bran must have always hosed up Hodor because Hodor has been hosed up since before Bran was born, if that makes sense.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

some guy on the bus posted:

Why would a wolf stare her down and then walk away if it wasn't nymeria

Sounds like Arya was just saying "you ain't what you used to be"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Wooooooooooooooooosh.

She was talking about herself. She's not Arya Stark anymore, she's "no one."

I think the line is even "that's not you."

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno about altering the present. Bran must have always hosed up Hodor because Hodor has been hosed up since before Bran was born, if that makes sense.
Right, it's a causality loop that defies explanation.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kromlech posted:

Well, Hodor used to be able to talk when Bran was a young child, but i get what you're saying - it's a causality loop that defies explanation.

Whenever Bran actually changes the past, he was "fated" to do it. What happened to Hodor implies Bran can't actually change the present by changing the past.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

It wasn't her in that, it wasn't in her character any more to follow.

god drat trump voters loving up the concept of nuance even in fantasy

BUT SHE SAID THE WORDS so LITRALLY

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

Whenever Bran actually changes the past, he was "fated" to do it. What happened to Hodor implies Bran can't actually change the present by changing the past.
Right, but using this fated thing means they can basically do whatever the hell they want with Bran's power.

Theory: What if the 3 eyed raven was invading the mind of the mad king trying to warn him about the long night and instructing him to "burn them all" (the wights) and that's what drove him mad?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
what other giant random wolf will appear and Not immediately attack Arya out of obvious recognition.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kromlech posted:

Theory: What if the 3 eyed raven was invading the mind of the mad king trying to warn him about the long night and instructing him to "burn them all" (the wights) and that's what drove him mad?

I swear there's a Preston Jacobs video on this.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

So next episode Jon gets to Dany while Arya is apparently the slowest loving traveler in Westeros.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grem posted:

So next episode Jon gets to Dany while Arya is apparently the slowest loving traveler in Westeros.

Travel speeds on this show make 0 sense if you think about it at all.

Varys and Littlefinger can both teleport, apparently.

But, to handwave, I will say that Jon is taking a boat, while Arya's going on land. Boats are faster.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The wolf wasn't that big tbh. It was standing on a log.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Imagine how much better Euron would be with an Australian accent

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

drunken officeparty posted:

The wolf wasn't that big tbh. It was standing on a log.

Its head was the size of her torso, it was pretty big and clearly larger than the other wolves

But yes assisted by perspective.

I dont know why they don't use that crap more, instead of cgi

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I wish the directing/editing were more uniformly terrible.The greyscale cutting to Hot Pie's hot pie was pretty ah...I guess just terrible in a different way. :barf:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I actually liked the direction of Euron's attack, the shot of Yara looking out towards the boats and then it tracks to show the flaming spear hitting the mast was particularly nice.

And of course, the gangplank kill was :black101: as gently caress.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Mike N Eich posted:

The writing and plotting is horrifically bad, really really bad, but the direction, sets, props, etc. have only gotten better so it's a really weird show. You still have really fun entertaining sequences, and then really strange, boring, and obvious plot fodder like the Jaime Telling the Audience The Situation, and the Sand Snakes reminding you they exist before being killed.

I appreciate the dumb obvious plot stuff because as a casual viewer I need it sometimes.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I wish the directing/editing were more uniformly terrible.The greyscale cutting to Hot Pie's hot pie was pretty ah...I guess just terrible in a different way. :barf:

They did that last week too with the bedpans switching to people eating stew.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The after the show talks from the director states the "That is not you" is supposed to be a call back to her saying "that is not me" to ned stark in season 1. Both her and her wolf turned down lives of domestication.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
3:1 odds on one of jon's ultimate scenes being a megaman-esque boss rush where he has to kill zombie versions of craster, locke, and the fookin legend karl tanner before he faces down ~the night king~

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Constant posted:

The horses could go about four miles an hour for about eight hours. That makes 32 miles but the infantry could only go about 25 miles. An all mounted force could go further of course, land travel would take months

Alexander the Great marched from Alexandria-eschate to Maracanda in 3 days, a total of 180 miles. People can go a lot faster than you'd think if they're not bogged down by wagon trains.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Ever since I first read the books and learned about Littlefinger's duel with Brandon Stark, I've wished for his death scene to by a long, epic sword fight in which it is revealed that Baelish has been secretly honing his sword skills ever since and is now a great swordsman, and fights a duel against a white walker captain that ranges all over Winterfell from the gates all the way to the top of the highest tower

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shwqa posted:

The after the show talks from the director states the "That is not you" is supposed to be a call back to her saying "that is not me" to ned stark in season 1. Both her and her wolf turned down lives of domestication.

Ugh, I hate Death of the Author but to me the line works so much better if Arya is talking about herself.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Boobs in this episode. 10/10/ Good show.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

They put the worst parts of this show on a boat and sank the loving boat and I'm so glad.

Shame they didn't get all of them.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I imagine a whip could be a pretty decent decent weapon in certain circumstances, unfortunately a giant brawl where everyone is wearing armor isn't one of them.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait what was the point of bringing the Dothraki then if you aren't even going to use them?
God I love bitching about this show.

The Dothraki will be set loose on the Riverlands. They need some R&R after an arduous journey. And that place can always use some raiding.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Shwqa posted:

Is it expected that we remember that exact line from Season 1? What a weird call back and awkward stupid line if you don't remember that. I thought it was likely Nymeria but then it was strange that Nymeria wanted nothing to do with her and she says it's not her. I don't know if I should take that literally or not since I'm not sure why the wolf is leaving. It not being Nymeria is as good a reason as any I thought.

Supreme Allah posted:

god drat trump voters loving up the concept of nuance even in fantasy

How dare you. The lion in my av is for Lannister and the Silent Majority are Lannister fans.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The wolf is Nymeria you loving idiot.

E: NM, I guess you figured that out

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
My favorite part was that Whip Snake got the drop on Euron two times, but because she is fighting with a loving whip instead of an actual weapon, she is now dead.

Oh is it just me or is Emilia Clarke a really lovely actress that has about one expression, which is fitting for nothing but season one episode 1-3 Dany?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Euron got stabbed at least twice in that fight, Whip Snake had no chance with any weapon

The show can't seem to envision drama without some kind of invulnerable supervillain

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Peanut President posted:

They did that last week too with the bedpans switching to people eating stew.

I hope every episode has a shot of something disgusting transitioning into a shot of food.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i'm fairly certain the "that's not you" line is Arya reflecting the dire wolf's own thoughts; Arya isn't Arya from back then anymore

it makes sense if you combine it with the Hot Pie scene from earlier where he asks her "what happened to you?" and she doesn't really answer him

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i'm fairly certain the "that's not you" line is Arya reflecting the dire wolf's own thoughts; Arya isn't Arya from back then anymore

it makes sense if you combine it with the Hot Pie scene from earlier where he asks her "what happened to you?" and she doesn't really answer him

Yea, this is basically my view of it as well. Nymeria doesn't recognize her anymore, much like Hot Pie doesn't recognize her anymore. She now must unlearn being "no one" and become Arya Stark again.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

My favorite part was that Whip Snake got the drop on Euron two times, but because she is fighting with a loving whip instead of an actual weapon, she is now dead.

Remember when the Hound let Arya stab his armor? "Your fancy moves and weapons don't matter when your opponent wears armor and is twice your size." That scene basically mocked all the dumb fighting gimmicks people come up with.

Then the show introduced 3 teenage circus acrobats with dumb gimmicks.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

WrightOfWay posted:

I hope every episode has a shot of something disgusting transitioning into a shot of food.

GRRM has to appreciate that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Sand Snakes were clearly the bad guys on the show at this point, so I guess the writers mean for us to cheer for Euron then? I wonder what he will do the rest of the season, since all I remember reading in the leaks was this part.

Theon had the right idea of fleeing, but man, I just felt so bad, what the hell is he gonna do now. A daring rescue of Ashayara? Just get on the boat with Gendry never to be seen again? Surely he will at least meet Jon who will punch Theon around a bit?

• Locked thread