Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
For the low low price of 30 past lives, you too can get 10 more racial AP.

In all seriousness, it is more customization/something to do for long time players and that is really nothing to complain about, but it is a massive time investment and the return is really small, especially compared to iconic TRing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
They also buffed the racial trees a decent bit it seems like.
Total stat bonuses for 2 to all races: +2 con, +2 int, +2 dex, +2 cha, +1 str, +1 wisdom
So you get almost a Completionists feat worth of stat bonuses for 20 more past lives (as well as +1 to some skills, who cares) without eating up a feat slot. That could let you qualify for some feats and make some weider builds I guess, but yeah it's not exactly enticing if you're not full on past lives already.
Racial also means going back to level 1 instead of 15 of course. So hooray for having to craft more newbie gear for the pre-raid gear levels I guess. Not we're likely to ever bother.

These seems like very good changes

quote:

• Air elementals only knock down characters when actively engaging in their charge behavior.
  • The Character Bank tab has been updated to match the Shared Account bank UI. (Note: This is very likely NOT going live until after U35.)

As for the inventory thing, it's a Known Issue:
Racial Reincarnation currently preserves items in your inventory and does not create a TR Cache. (Meant to mimic a Heroic True but currently mimics a Lesser)

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 7, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Scott McNeil did a really good job narrating the Shadowfell expansion dungeons. Whoever did the Cannith trials was good too (not sure because the voice credits aren't very detailed).

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Someone posting the notes to reddit had the skill bonus for racial reincarnation at +2, not +1, which is a bit more impactful if true.

Also liking the racial enhancement changes. Warforged getting some nice updates there.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Got a guild member that has almost every reincarnation done on multiple characters, he deleted all his sub level 20 gear a while ago since it was useless to him. :xd:

I wish they front loaded like all the other TR types instead of backloading, I'd be down for 10 TR's plus a few extras for specific things but 30 is a bit much.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
So I transferred to Ghalanda because the (my) night time pop on Argo was just not there, couldn't ever get a group for anything. Lost the items that were still in my TR cache at the time though, that was an unexpected result! Hopefully the ticket I logged will get it back, but there was no warning I would need to empty it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They do warn you of that on their official guide for it and on the unofficial wiki... but that's real lovely and they should list the restrictions out in the UI. They could have easily put the list of poo poo to worry about on the Confirm screen.

So hopefully you get that back sooner rather than later and that you can find some groups!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Realizing this is a fairly mature game - having never played this, can a new player still reasonably start and not be completely unable to find folks to group with these days? I saw the advice re: drag a buddy in and I may do that as well, but would appreciate any starting-out advice for the current state.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
They just added racial reincarnation so you may see a higher than average number of low levels around now. Don't know if that extends to low level groups as they may already have a group or are solo blitzing for max speed. Ideally you'd build your own group of people. You don't particularly need more than two people and you can get by solo, but it's more fun the more people you have.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

Tremek posted:

Realizing this is a fairly mature game - having never played this, can a new player still reasonably start and not be completely unable to find folks to group with these days? I saw the advice re: drag a buddy in and I may do that as well, but would appreciate any starting-out advice for the current state.

Depends on the server. I have moved to Ghalanda and I am seeing groups at all levels all the time. Let people know you are a new player and they will prove understanding (at least my experience).

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I had an idea for a ranger/bard/fighter axe thrower, taking advantage of the easy access ranger has to 20% doubleshot, the ludicrously good crit profile that level 3 bard gets through swashbuckling, and 6 levels of fighter for extra feats and defence. The skills are a bit of a crapshoot - I just tried to keep Heal and UMD maxed, I could probably spread the levels out a bit better to ensure a better spread of abilities staying at max level instead of wasting points, but at the same time I kind of want 11 ranger ASAP to unlock IPS at level 15. I have planned this as a Dwarf, because of TYWA and the extra HP from doing so, although admittedly this is something of a flavour choice and going Dragonborn or Human is probably better for the extra feat or higher starting strength and charisma (although, Brutal Throw would then become a necessary feat, and swapping to D'born might not free up much AP as going Human would).

Anyway, thoughts? My theorycrafting efforts in the past have been...questionable...but coming off a pure ranger life, where I used a Bow of Sinew very successfully all the way to 26, I think a throwing axe with 1d6 base (compared to 1d8), and 16-18x4, 19-20x7 crit profile will be quite comparable, although it will lack the imbue arrow damage (but conversely gets an extra 60% attack speed later) in heroic levels. You can get the elemental arrow imbues to apply to thrown weapons, but it's a bug and I don't want to be relying on something like that.

pre:
axe me a question
11/6/3 Ranger/Fighter/Bard
Chaotic Good Dwarf

Level Order

1. Ranger          6. Bard           11. Ranger         16. Fighter
2. Bard            7. Ranger         12. Ranger         17. Fighter
3. Ranger          8. Ranger         13. Ranger         18. Fighter
4. Fighter         9. Ranger         14. Ranger         19. Fighter
5. Ranger         10. Bard           15. Ranger         20. Fighter

Stats
               36pt     Tome     Level Up
               ----     ----     --------
Strength        10       +6       4: CON
Dexterity       15       +6       8: CON
Constitution    20       +6      12: CON
Intelligence    12       +6      16: CON
Wisdom          10       +6      20: CON
Charisma        10       +6      24: CON
                                 28: CON

Skills
          R  B  R  F  R  B  R  R  R  B  R  R  R  R  R  F  F  F  F  F
          1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
         ------------------------------------------------------------
Heal      4                 6  1  1     2  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  23
UMD       2     2        3  1        4  1  2  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  23
Perform      5           4        2  2     ½  1½ 1½ 1½ ½  ½  ½  ½     20
Bluff        2  1½    3½       3½ 1½    2  1  1  1  1                 18
Jump      4        3                 2              1              1  11
Concent   4                                                            4
Spot      4                                                            4
Balance   2                                                            2
Tumble    2                                                            2
         ------------------------------------------------------------
         28  7  7  3  7  7  8  8  8  8  8  8  8  8  9  5  5  5  5  5

Feats

1        : Quick Draw
 1 Ranger : Favored Enemy: Undead
 3        : Point Blank Shot
 4 Fighter: Weapon Focus: Thrown
 6        : Empower Healing Spell
 8 Ranger : Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider
 9        : Improved Critical: Thrown
12        : Precision
14 Ranger : Favored Enemy: Construct
15        : Quicken Spell
16 Fighter: Dodge
18        : Mobility
18 Fighter: Weapon Specialization: Thrown
20 Fighter: Shot on the Run
21 Epic   : Overwhelming Critical
24 Epic   : Combat Archery
26 Destiny: Holy Strike
27 Epic   : Blinding Speed
28 Destiny: Doubleshot
29 Destiny: Harbinger of Chaos
30 Epic   : Epic Reflexes
30 Legend : Scion of: Arborea

Enhancements (80 AP)

Deepwood Stalker (38 AP)
  • Far Shot, Sneak Attack, Sniper Shot
    1. Favored Defense III, Stealthy III, Increased Empathy II, Versatile Empathy II
    2. Melee/Range Power Boost III
    3. Favored Hunter III, Aimed Shot, Dexterity
    4. Killer III, Merciful Shot, Dexterity
    5. Extra Favored Enemy: Giant, Heavy Draw, Strikes Like Lightning, Improved Archer's Focus
Dwarf (18 AP)
  • Dwarven Toughness, Dwarven Constitution, Dwarven Toughness II, Dwarven Constitution II, Dwarven Toughness III
    1. Axe Training, Dwarven Armor Mastery II
    2. Axe Training
    3. Axe Training
    4. Axe Training, Throw Your Weight Around
Swashbuckler (15 AP)
  • Confidence, Swashbuckling
    1. On Your Toes III, Blow By Blow: Range III
    2. Double Shot Boost III
    3. Dashing Scoundrel
Stalwart Defender (9 AP)
  • Toughness, Stalwart Defense
    1. Durable Defense III, Stalwart Defensive Mastery I
    2. Resilient Defense III
Destiny (24 AP) Legendary Dreadnought
  1. Legendary Tactics II, Extra Action Boost III, Constitution
  2. Constitution
  3. Critical Damage III, Constitution
  4. Constitution
  5. Devastating Critical, Constitution
  6. Master's Blitz, Headman's Chop
Twists of Fate (14 fate points)
  1. Whirling Wrists (Tier 3 Shiradi)
  2. Pin (Tier 2 Shiradi)
  3. Rejuvenation Cocoon (Tier 1 Primal)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Looks okay to me! Throwing Weapons main problem has always been their lack of good weapons and scaling from what I remember. Lots of things just didn't apply to them but I think most of those have gotten fixed/changed these days. I don't think it would be better than a bow build but nothing jumps out at me as terrible or anything!

Were you able to get your stuff back by the way?

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

DemonMage posted:

Looks okay to me! Throwing Weapons main problem has always been their lack of good weapons and scaling from what I remember. Lots of things just didn't apply to them but I think most of those have gotten fixed/changed these days. I don't think it would be better than a bow build but nothing jumps out at me as terrible or anything!

Were you able to get your stuff back by the way?

Nope, SSG were no help at all. Not at all interested in the problem, and it took 1-2 weeks to get a response each time.

Having thought on this build more, going full Dex for attack and hit is probably better. Not sure if that necessitates using a different race, staying dwarf would at least allow me to try both variants out at the cost of a lesser heart, but it's just cleaner to go full Dex.

Khorre
Jan 28, 2009
Is there anyone around to throw a guild invite on Argnossen? Rhutt The Unseen

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Playing this for the first time ever and it's pretty fun but the inventory UI gives me a headache. Is there a mod or something to simplify it?

Also, I guess a guild inv would be cool too. Baaldanders on Argnossen.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The only UI modding you can do is EQ style texture skinning. Nothing functional. They went real lax on modding for AC and took a hard modding stance on this. There is a tab for a list inventory if you don't like the grid style also.

I'll send you an invite later once the servers are back up if someone doesn't beat me to it though!

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
About how long would y'all say it takes to get a feel for what the game is like? Like some people say this or that game changes dramatically after X level, or X zone.

I've been missing D&D and tried this out, currently have a random paladin poking around in the newbie town with sahuagin, did a few quests. I like the game so far (the whole dungeon master voiceover doing silly voices for the sahuagin necromancers was :3: ), but I don't particularly want to stick with humans/skinny humans/short humans and will probably buy a race unlock for something wackier to stick with long-term. Just not sure how far in I should get before I make a decision about spending cash.

(I know you can earn shop points free but I'd rather save that for class unlocks and adventures.)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The core gameplay loop doesn't really change from what you see in the starting area. The areas get prettier, the quests get longer (until you know them generally) and the stories get better in some places though (like Harbinger of Madness)! End game there is two-group raiding to do (12 people) but it's not required. You can instead do reincarnation to make your character more powerful in small incremental ways.

Being mid-high level is a lot more fun than low levels though, since you've got access to more of your class abilities/enhancements and if you're reincarnating your fancy named items/raid gear from past lives.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 10, 2017

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Thanks! I do like the sound of that. :) Will shop/reroll later and see about a guild invite, if there's room.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

There's no real limit to guild size, just post a character name here and someone will invite you! Guild activity is very low as discussed before, but the buffs are really nice!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

i'm glad you guys maintain the guild for the 1-2 months out of the year i play. salute.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Settled on dragonborn for my purchase, rerolled on the goon server as Zehavi (paladin) and Jabir (wiz), I'll be on as one or the other for a bit if anyone's around to invite.

Couldn't bring myself to play sorc when I had the option of being an awesome necromancer that can try every spell in the game :getin:. Though lizard wizard isn't too bad - with two pets, mage armor, a protection ring and Insightful Reflexes my 6 dex doesn't even matter.

Would the hit point boosts from the dragonborn tree stack with the hit point boosts from the necromancer one?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Mailed you invites to both characters!

As a general rule enhancements stack unless they specify a bonus type or being mutually exclusive. So yeah they'll stack.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

DemonMage posted:

Mailed you invites to both characters!

You know, I think I even read about being able to just mail guild invites instead and then completely forgot about it. :downs: Thanks!

DemonMage posted:

As a general rule enhancements stack unless they specify a bonus type or being mutually exclusive. So yeah they'll stack.

Oh good. Wasn't sure if they kept that from the tabletop rules, might be fun to toughen up a bit.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Enhancements are kind of the exception to the rule in that you can assume they will stack, but outside of that a lot of other things won't. Bonus types are very important in this game.

As an example, on equipment most stat boosts are of the 'enhancement' type (completely separate to your character enhancements, they really should have picked a different term), so while they are easy to get, only the biggest bonus will apply. But, you can have an enhancement boost stack with an insight bonus,and/or a Quality bonus. High end gearing is all about stacking the poo poo out of those things, so don't worry about it for now.

Just assume that if it's on something you are wearing, you can only get that bonus once, and only the largest will apply. Once you get more experience, you will see how it works in greater detail.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Getting a friend into the game now too. :toot: They're like me and plan to buy one of the cooler races if they stick around, maybe warforged. We've been trying to work out what kind of antics you could do with a warforged wizard - are the body plating upgrade feats something you can respec into later via that mind flayer NPC, or do you just have to take it at level one and eat the arcane failure chance until you can reduce it? (Or do you not have to take it at level one? The wiki is kind of unclear depending on which page you look at.)

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
You have to take the body feat at level 1 IIRC, but you can use Fred to respec it into the level 1 feat you choose later, as long as that feat wasn't used as a prerequisite for a later feat.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
The body feat can be taken at any feat level (1,3,6,9, etc). Warforged are super cool.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Upcoming Artificer/Battle Engineer changes.

quote:

Base class:
  • Rune Arm cooldown is improved by 30%. (This is the improvement that Thermal Venting currently gives, which has been removed from the BE tree.)
  • Rune Arm Charge Decay while moving is reduced by 50%. (This is the improvement that Arcane Capacitors currently gives, which has been removed from the BE tree.)
  • There is no longer a penalty to movement speed while charging a Rune Arm.
  • Artificers now get Warhammer and Light Hammer proficiencies.
  • Improved Critical: Bludgeoning has been added to the Arti class feat list.
  • Artificer Admixture spells now fire straight down if the caster has themself hard-targeted. (This will essentially deploy it on you... assuming you're standing on solid ground.)
Rune Arms:
    (Note: None of this really applies to Knives Eternal, Machinations of Madness, or Whirling Words. They were already doing most of this.)
  • Rune Arm shots now scale with 100% Spell Power. Most were scaling at 50% or 80% previously.
  • Rune Arm weapon imbues now scale with 200% Melee or Ranged power (whichever is higher)
  • Homing on Rune Arms now works at about the same angles you can shoot a crossbow at and still hit your target (roughly 80 degrees). It was previously about 20 degrees for most Rune Arms, meaning you'd be shooting your crossbow and hitting your target, but your Rune Arm shots would just shoot wherever your camera was looking. Long story short, homing should be more reliable now.
  • Cannonball Shot (used by Glass Cannon) now uses homing.

Some pretty solid changes there overall. Triple duration Endless Fusillade too.

quote:

You didn't mention the poor Iron Defenders here, they're still terrible!
Yes, they are. In working on this pass, we did a lot of meetings, research, and discussion about Arti dog and Druid wolf pets - And came to the conclusion that a meaningful pass to improve them (not even including AI changes, just statistic and enhancement based) was going to take twice as long as the Arti pass above, at minimum. It's something we'd love to do someday, as they're a core part of these classes; it's just not in the cards for the moment.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Yeah those changes are nice. BE tree also got a much needed overhaul, and they can now also specialise in 1h bludgeoning weapons which is some nice variety. Int modifier sunder and trip attacks are also nice!

Should be a lot less boring playing a melee arti now.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The trip also scales off sunder bonuses too. Which is super nice if it's not a mistake in the text.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
It's not! I listened to the Livestream they did going over the notes and it was specifically noted that was intended so that people would find it easier to consolidate gear.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Does anyone still play this? I'm interested in playing.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Valisti and I are kind in a holding pattern with DDO until the new expansion (details) hit at least. I'm hoping that might be enough to push us to come back, but maybe we're finally just done with it. I don't know. I still think it's a Really Good game, we've just played a ton of it. So it's hard to get pulled back in with reduced time and so many good options.

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009
I'm on every now and then (Punchabear), but mostly during the day EU time, so no big chances to mingle

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I just got the game and me and a friend wanna play. Was hoping some goons still played to show us the ropes.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

I'm still on a fair amount of time, I keep leaving and coming back, but I'm currently on my back phase

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Cleric Domains. Favored Soul improvements.

There's a lot of domains there that seem great. They've done a really solid job with those.
The Favored Soul improvements seem really good too. Possibly too good. Hard to say. Extra 200 HP at level 20, extra +100 for 30. Seems... pretty loving substantial. Or double that in SP. If you're pure Favored Soul anyways.

Also:

quote:

The current plan is that among the greater body of content coming up in the expansion there are two dungeons where you can specifically enter Castle Ravenloft and experience* story within the castle itself, and a raid where you can enter the castle and experience* story as well.

Sev~

*Warning: may entail horrible fates. The author takes no responsibility for the safety of characters engaging in this activity.

This seems like a good way to go. Still wish they'd never added two group raid content in DDO, but at least an iconic part of the expansion won't be stuck behind a raid.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 5, 2017

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Feel I need something new. Downloading this.

That said I haven't played D&D since P&P days (unless counting NWN) about 20-30 years ago. No idea about these new fangled simplified rules, but hey it's free (Who am I kidding, I will be tossing cash at it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

Feel I need something new. Downloading this.

That said I haven't played D&D since P&P days (unless counting NWN) about 20-30 years ago. No idea about these new fangled simplified rules, but hey it's free (Who am I kidding, I will be tossing cash at it)

It's a technically 'free to play' but yeah, the monthly VIP subscription is basically required.

That being said, it's a hell of a lot of fun game for at least awhile. It has a burnout stage, but there is an insane amount of content in this game to get through before you feel like you've done everything.

In the beginning don't feel pressured trying Elite mode, you will get destroyed until you have the gear and knowledge on how to deal with the very-not-PNP damage getting thrown at you.

If you go VIP, I'd recommend trying Druid as a starting character. They are very self contained but can do decent damage and you have a ton of options on how to play.
A mechanic thief is another good starting character as you can deal with the traps you will find and kill from range, but until you get a lot of gear to boost your skills you will never see the Elite mode ones.

Seriously, any class works but having built in heals without relying on a Henchmen's dumb AI means a lot.

I'd check out the wiki on feats, there's some important changes here and there.
Since the game uses a spell point system instead of X spells a day, it makes Metamagic interesting. Any class that uses Spell-Like-Abilities can stack all the metamagic they want on those skills without increasing the mana cost. This is vital for efficiency.

• Locked thread