Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the argument is that she was executed in the 1940s, which would mean she was held for years.

I guess it's in the same vein of those conspiracy theories about lost POW's who were left behind because the government, probably liberal bureaucrats, wouldn't do enough to bring our brave boys home. It doesn't really make sense for a nation to keep a high profile prisoner from a foreign nation and not use them for some sort of leverage or exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Seriously, North Korea can't keep a lid on it when they capture bored college students, but we're supposed to believe that Imperial Japan captured a world famous American celebrity and just sat on it until WW2, whereupon they secretly executed her instead of trying to get an exchange, or at least publicizing it for morale purposes? This sounds like the sort of thing Tokyo Rose would've given her left eye for.

Yes I know there wasn't any one Tokyo Rose.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
So they captured an American celebrity to hold against the US in a World War in the future. Then did nothing with her and ended up getting bombed and surrendering anyway? Glorious Nippon indeed.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

So they captured an American celebrity to hold against the US in a World War in the future. Then did nothing with her and ended up getting bombed and surrendering anyway? Glorious Nippon indeed.

They were actually holding her in one of the cells of Hiroshima Castle. :shrug:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So that insufferably smug "God" account on Facebook posted something about flat earthers the other day.

And holy poo poo the flat earthers came out to argue

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Fried Watermelon posted:

I've seen quite a number of people claim that there are only certain things you should believe from Ancient Aliens. Like they hide true information in a mess of fake alien poo poo.

Anyone know what is actually true from Ancient Aliens or have they just used this phrasing to get out of explaining what's "true"?

It's just a variation of the "you just don't understand, you're not clever enough" distraction technique. Try and pin them down on what's "true" and you'll soon find out it's aliens all the way down.

Any truth in AA is accidental and then used to draw bizarre conclusions that completely negate it.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
9/11 truthers i have talked with seem to have a sincere belief that the reason i dont believe bush/rich guys/illuminati did 9/11 theories is that i didnt get a vital piece of information
that you only find in spooky music youtube videos. If ONLY i KNEW (obscure irrelevant "evidence") then i would SEE the TRUTH.

I just havent seen enough youtube videos. See youtube videos. youtube videos? YOUTUBE! YOUTUBE VIDEOS YOUTUBE VIDEOS BOITUBE VEODEIS YTOUBE VODIES SAFDIYOISUOYUO YVBOYDVOYSOYSO.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Keeshhound posted:

Seriously, North Korea can't keep a lid on it when they capture bored college students, but we're supposed to believe that Imperial Japan captured a world famous American celebrity and just sat on it until WW2, whereupon they secretly executed her instead of trying to get an exchange, or at least publicizing it for morale purposes? This sounds like the sort of thing Tokyo Rose would've given her left eye for.

Yes there was. It was Amelia Earhardt. :colbert:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

dwarf74 posted:

So that insufferably smug "God" account on Facebook posted something about flat earthers the other day.

And holy poo poo the flat earthers came out to argue

you can't just say this and not post screenshots / excerpts

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you can't just say this and not post screenshots / excerpts
I planned to but there was SO MUCH

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:aaaaa: MOTHERFU-!!!

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Keeshhound posted:

Well it would explain how those aliens (dare I say ancient?) managed to abduct both Earhardt and that Japanese Empire soldier. http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_37's_(episode) We're through the looking glass people.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I met a genuine flat earther!!!

He has all sorts of "evidence" on his FB page, also believes vaccines are bad and fluoride is some kind of plot. I pointed out he has an "extreme climbing" video where you can clearly see the curvature of the earth in the background but he hasn't replied yet.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I've been watching a youtube mini series on Marxism and one episode is dedicated to the origins of the Cultural Marxism conspiracy theory which is worth watching given that that one seems to be here to stay for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X98uzqpQ3JM

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

504 posted:

I met a genuine flat earther!!!

He has all sorts of "evidence" on his FB page, also believes vaccines are bad and fluoride is some kind of plot. I pointed out he has an "extreme climbing" video where you can clearly see the curvature of the earth in the background but he hasn't replied yet.
Very few people are just flat-earthers. Once you've adopted one of the dumbest and most sweeping conspiracy theories - that requires also being a moon landing hoaxer, no less - anything that's less insane will seem natural.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Yep. We live in a time of observable satellites, space stations, accessible aircraft, established global trade routes, and easy international travel.

Yet there are people who will ignore all evidence and observation in favor of "well it looks kinda flat from here!".

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Warbadger posted:

Yep. We live in a time of observable satellites, space stations, accessible aircraft, established global trade routes, and easy international travel.

Yet there are people who will ignore all evidence and observation in favor of "well it looks kinda flat from here!".

Do you not trust your own eyes!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Illuminti posted:

Do you not trust your own eyes!

For the satellites or the flatness? Cuts both ways....

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Baka-nin posted:

I've been watching a youtube mini series on Marxism and one episode is dedicated to the origins of the Cultural Marxism conspiracy theory which is worth watching given that that one seems to be here to stay for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X98uzqpQ3JM

Sure, sure, the Frankfurt school may not have been a conspiracy to whatever, but the more I learn about Theodore Adorno, the less I like him.

"The aim of jazz is the mechanical reproduction of a regressive moment, a castration symbolism. 'Give up your masculinity, let yourself be castrated,' the eunuchlike sound of the jazz band both mocks and proclaims, 'and you will be rewarded, accepted into a fraternity which shares the mystery of impotence with you, a mystery revealed at the moment of the initiation rite."

A repulsive sentence on multiple levels.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

MrUnderbridge posted:

For the satellites or the flatness? Cuts both ways....

You start with the flatness duh. All other observations must be built on that fundamental truth. The earth is flat therefore satellites are gas powered high altitude balloons dispatched from a secret NASA base for the sole purpose of pushing the Glober agenda. Probably in Antartica

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There is a flat earther in my town who has gone all the way. As in, he covered his truck in flat earth slogans and all over his house. He used to have props in his yard demonstrating flat earth theory but the local government made him put them away I think. Eyesore. He still has EARTH = FLAT painted in big letters on his house though.

He also parks his truck on the town square and leaves it for hours. He's a certified local kook. Haven't met him. He wrecked his other flat earthmobile and everyone knew it was him because of the flat earth slogans covering the sides, rear and windows of the vehicle. He has a reputation for being a hazardous driver.

What I don't understand is what do flat earthers want? For people to wake up and realize the earth is flat of course. But what about our society would be different?

Anyways, the most I can give him is that the world is not flat, but the terrain around these parts is pretty flat. So I can meet him the middle on that and we can get along.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 21, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

What I don't understand is what do flat earthers want? For people to wake up and realize the earth is flat of course. But what about our society would be different?

generally unmedicated schizophrenics who can't help but speak the truth as they see it or frustrated crank academics who deeply crave being hailed for their stunning intellectual powers

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Flat earth is entry level as hell now, it's all about how mesas are the stumps of giant trees and all normal trees are actually just tiny seedlings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHkiZNT3cyE

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I clicked around in that video and apparently there was a nuclear war in the 1800s over Crimea.

Violator
May 15, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

But what about Dale Earhardt? Makes you think...

Edit: Things that make you go "hmmmmmmmmmmmm"...

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

2.5 miles across an 10 miles high? That's one stubby-assed tree.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Don't know if the thread caught this:

quote:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/reptile-cult-feud-over-raw-meat-ends-in-death

The trouble began in April, when alleged cult members accused Barbara Rogers of being a reptile alien for eating raw steak. Three months later, she killed her boyfriend, police say.

Rogers called cops in Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania, early Saturday morning to report that she shot her boyfriend in the head. Rogers told police that Steven Mineo asked her to kill him after the cult accused her of being a “reptilian” and ostracized them when they left.

Mineo and Rogers were followers of Sherry Shriner, a self-proclaimed granddaughter of King David who calls herself a “Servant, Prophet, Ambassador, Daughter, and Messenger of the Most High God.” Shriner preaches that the “New World Order” is colluding with aliens and demons to take over the world; that a mystical substance called Orgone can kill zombies; and that reptilian aliens pose as humans and dump snakes down people’s throats to “scalp” their souls.

Mineo had been a disciple since at least 2004, he said in a video for his YouTube channel, where he also videos on 9/11 conspiracy theories and “Concentration Camps in America.”

[...]

Mineo’s real fallout with Shriner began when Rogers wrote a Facebook post praising steak tartare.

“This is the best thing ever with cut up minced garlic,” Rogers wrote, according to screenshots Mineo included in his video. “I just crave raw meat all the time for some reason. I know some are grossed out by it. But its a delicacy for me.”

Shriner’s followers allegedly interpreted the post about raw steak as sign that Rogers was not human but reptile. Mineo asked Shriner why one of her followers was “accusing my wife of being a reptilian,” he wrote. (Mineo and Rogers were not actually married, despite calling each other husband and wife.) “Because she eats raw meat?” Shriner asked.

“Orgone kills them,” Mineo wrote of the mystical substance that supposedly destroys reptilians. “The heavenly father knows that she’s not a reptilian. We’ve been friends for a long time and I always supported you. Out of all due respect I do take offense to this.”

The rift led Mineo and Rogers to break with the group.

[...]

“For lack of a better word, he was heartbroken, because he had followed Sherry Shriner for a number of years, and he believed the things she was saying, as crazy as they were,” Alexander said.

Mineo set out to “expose” Shriner. From May 29 to June 11, he uploaded five anti-Shriner videos including “Sherry Shriner EXPOSED By Her Own Followers!!!!” (parts one through three), “Sherry Shriner Is Extremely Desperate that she’s been exposed!” and “Sherry Shriner Supporters Are Mentally Sick.”
In the latter video, which he uploaded four days before his death, Mineo said he and Rogers had been beset with attacks from Shriner’s followers since leaving her circles.

[...]

At 2:25 a.m. on Saturday, Rogers called police to turn herself in. According to a criminal complaint reviewed by The Daily Beast, she told police that she suffered from bipolar disorder, but was not taking her medication as prescribed. She told police that Mineo had offered that night to teach her how to shoot a gun. She said he placed the gun in her hands and guided it to his head.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MrUnderbridge posted:

2.5 miles across an 10 miles high? That's one stubby-assed tree.

Well as all good flat earthers know, the sun and moon is only 33 miles up, so the trees had to leave room for those to go overhead. It's only logical.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

the “New World Order” is colluding with aliens and demons to take over the world; that a mystical substance called Orgone can kill zombies; and that reptilian aliens pose as humans and dump snakes down people’s throats to “scalp” their souls.

Saving this for the next campaign I run.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Keeshhound posted:

Isn't this sorta similar to Yuan-Ti? I think it's an elixir for them, but worth looking into for more source material.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dirk the Average posted:

Isn't this sorta similar to Yuan-Ti? I think it's an elixir for them, but worth looking into for more source material.

Snakes are better; they induce a more visceral response.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Keeshhound posted:

Isn't this the plot of Stargate? But with "Chariots of the Gods" thrown in for good measure.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Don't know if the thread caught this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF299yydsZw&t=106s

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

fishmech posted:

Flat earth is entry level as hell now, it's all about how mesas are the stumps of giant trees and all normal trees are actually just tiny seedlings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHkiZNT3cyE

So Arch Trees? Does he have an idea where the Kiln of the First Flame is?

I think Ancient Aliens Debunked is still a worthwhile source, as long as you do go into it knowing he is a christian ( don't know if he's a true fundie, he seems to be able to accept a fair amount of scientific thought and doesn't seem to have any issues with non christian religions), you can understand why it goes a little bibely at the end. Heiser, who's a really fascinating interview subject, he's been on a number of episodes of Monstertalk, is also a Christian, but because he is a bible literalist (not as in this was literally written by god, but in he actually knows the contents), he is at odds with many in the Christian community because they have a imagined or edited verison of the bible. The best thing I heard him say was that assume Annunaki came from Nibiru is like thinking Spock lives in Gotham. Both are things in our popular culture, but in no way are they connected.

I encountered someone who honestly though Marble Hornets was real. They over heard me talking to some friends about Nightminds excellent exploration of the series and he came over and said "you know that's all real. Slenderman really is out there, I've seen him" and I was "uh everyone in it is alive and Slenderman was from a photoshop contest I remember like a decade ago". He got pretty huffy and kind of stormed off. But seriously, how can an adult think that it was real? Yea youtube is totally going to have a long rear end video series featuring murders and some really crazy poo poo (if you add in something like Everyman Hybrid into the mix) without, you know, something being done about it? I forget what it was called, but there was some youtube series that featured a kid out side all freaked out and remorseful, eventually he uploads a video of what looks like him killing his family. That actually got him a visit from the police.

I highly recommend Nightmind for examinations of Internet weirdness and ARGs. I actually thought Poppy was a real thing, just an very stylized and eccentric internet pop idol, but it's actually interesting beyond that.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC58IKuPHnZkdCZ6T5mSRGCg

I'd not be surprised in the future stuff like Don't Hug Me I'm Scared or Wyoming Incident are the fuel for future Conspiracy theories when pizza pedos and 9/11 was an inside job are no longer in vogue.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 22, 2017

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

twistedmentat posted:

I encountered someone who honestly though Marble Hornets was real. They over heard me talking to some friends about Nightminds excellent exploration of the series and he came over and said "you know that's all real. Slenderman really is out there, I've seen him" and I was "uh everyone in it is alive and Slenderman was from a photoshop contest I remember like a decade ago". He got pretty huffy and kind of stormed off. But seriously, how can an adult think that it was real? Yea youtube is totally going to have a long rear end video series featuring murders and some really crazy poo poo (if you add in something like Everyman Hybrid into the mix) without, you know, something being done about it? I forget what it was called, but there was some youtube series that featured a kid out side all freaked out and remorseful, eventually he uploads a video of what looks like him killing his family. That actually got him a visit from the police.

The best you can do for believing in Slenderman would be to claim that while originally it wasn't real, because it captured the public's imagination, the psychic energy of its popularity has caused it to manifest, sort of like the monsters from the id of Forbidden Planet, or that Borges short story where a fake encylopedia starts becoming believed and gradually starts to reshape reality.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

CountFosco posted:

The best you can do for believing in Slenderman would be to claim that while originally it wasn't real, because it captured the public's imagination, the psychic energy of its popularity has caused it to manifest, sort of like the monsters from the id of Forbidden Planet, or that Borges short story where a fake encylopedia starts becoming believed and gradually starts to reshape reality.

I was going to post something snarky about the fact that he's "real" in the sense that a couple of kids tried to murder their friend in his name, so I looked it up, and apparently the legal proceedings are still in progress, largely gummed up by the fact that they're being tried as adults, which means their defense lawyers keep filing "ok but please account for the fact that they're actually schizotypal pre-teens" motions :smith:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

CountFosco posted:

During my 2 years as homeless I met people who affirmed with 100% conviction that they had personally seen Slenderman at least a dozen times (if not twice that many). As you can expect showing them the thread that created Slenderman had no discernible impact. My interpretation is that belief in Slenderman has become sufficiently widespread that he is a permanent ficture of American paranormal beliefs/urban legends.

Ironically, it could be argued that Goons actually did in fact unleash a psychological tulpa by promoting belief in Slenderman as a collective prank. Something which at the time several mentally ill goons (myself not among them) argued could happen.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 24, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The "belief" in Slenderman took more than that though. All he ever did in the original photoshops was just sit around in the picture and look menacing yet not interact with anyone or anything.

The belief that "Slenderman abducts children" and "Slenderman can take his victims to another world" and "Slenderman picks particular targets to mess with and stalk" and all the rest all come out of other media and fiction written off the vague outline of the photoshops.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Slenderman is such a generic figure (tall, vaguely menacing, contemporary, yet with no distinguishing features) that if anything it's surprising that the name Slenderman took off and there aren't people online ranting that Slenderman is just a false flag operation to discredit their real encounters with the identical Beaver Hill Phantom / Maple Alley Stalker / Churchhall Underpass Spirit from the 1970s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Goons are 40K Orks, powerfully psychic to the point where believing in something makes it so.

• Locked thread