Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

No discussion of women contributors to computing would be complete without Rear Admiral Grace Hopper.

An amazing person, I had the privilege of seeing her speak a few years before her death. Still have the nanosecond she gave me.

Golli fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

loving :laffo: if anyone believes a word that PCgamer says. They've hyped everything bad from Daikatana to Duke Nukem Forever.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Golli posted:

No discussion of women contributors to computing would be complete without Rear Admiral Grace Hopper.

An amazing person, I had the privilege of seeing her speak a few years before her death. Still have the nanosecond she gave me.

Give that nanosecond back! You're the reason we're in the dark timeline!

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
If CIG were writing the code for the Apollo missions, not only would we have never made it to the moon but every single one of the Apollo missions would have ended with the rocket comically spazzing out before leaving our atmosphere, ejecting all of their occupants (all of whom would have lost all of their clothes and would be inexplicably ejecting jets of air from various orifices not designed to eject air) and would then explode just before hitting space.

They'd get to the moon eventually though, but only after NASA invent a method of jumping instantaneously from one point in space-time to another.

And then they wouldn't be able to get any further because they'd realise that CIG had written the code for the doors too and they're now locked in a spacecraft on the Moon with no way to escape.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

GazChap posted:

If CIG were writing the code for the Apollo missions, not only would we have never made it to the moon but every single one of the Apollo missions would have ended with the rocket comically spazzing out before leaving our atmosphere, ejecting all of their occupants (all of whom would have lost all of their clothes and would be inexplicably ejecting jets of air from various orifices not designed to eject air) and would then explode just before hitting space.

They'd get to the moon eventually though, but only after NASA invent a method of jumping instantaneously from one point in space-time to another.

And then they wouldn't be able to get any further because they'd realise that CIG had written the code for the doors too and they're now locked in a spacecraft on the Moon with no way to escape.

Did you not see the infographic about Chris Roberts being called The Code Whisperer?!?!?!
There were no other blatantly false claims in those pictures, so that one obviously isn't either.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Toblakai posted:

Yeah, except you can argue that the direct contribution of Andrew Tanenbaum is much bigger than Torvalds' and that Stroustrup did more harm than good.

No love for Djikstra or Knuth? Backus/Naur? Thompson and Ritchie? Google A.M. Turing awards, you wont find Tanenbaum, Torvalds, or Stroustrup in that list. That's not necessarily a criticism (and you could also argue that Richard Stallman is more important than Tanenbaum and Torvalds put together and he's definitely not on the list), but unless you invent a shiny new programming language or a breakthrough algorithm, you're not it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

StraightFace posted:

Pls advise if the rape mechanic has been implemented yet, asking for a friend.

I hear they've licensed the FATAL ruleset.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I shall now unleash the only FATAL reference I know:

How are they gonna code for anal circumference?

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

StraightFace posted:

Pls advise if the rape mechanic has been implemented yet, asking for a friend.

You and a buddy can try to spawn a starfarer at the same time and rape everyones computer until it crashes to desktop.

As with everything else, its a placeholder until the mocap is done.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 24, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

toanoradian posted:

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Chris Roberts ... called The Code Whisperer
There's a reason he doesn't want anyone to overhear his code.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZbLpaaWVqY

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
Update on Elite:

Still a videogame.

I have about a dozen hours in. I learned how to not land like a clown. I started doing some courier missions and trading for peanuts In my sidewinder.

Then got a couple missions for 150k to deliver some trash from point A to point B. Whats the point of trading (at least early on) when there are missions like that?

In any case I now have a Cobra Mk3 kinda set up for mining which I wanted to try. It looks kinda fun in youtube videos.

The sheer scale of the solar systems and game is breathtaking and now when I see a citizen poo poo on ED I actually get a little IRL mad at how disrespectful they are when they have literally nothing.

Once I get a little more established I'll migrate to the "story" areas where the community missions are. I also have yet to gently caress around with engineers or buggys or even combat really. Just been focusing on traveling from point A-B without loving up. Haven't been nonconsensually pvp'd yet.

Overall an 8/10 experience so far.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
When I just now saw that DCS is getting a multicrew Mi-24B Hind, I was instantly ready to throw money at a jpeg. In that moment I was struck with horror in that I and the citizens are not so unlike after all. Then I looked back at some redditposts and breathed a sigh of relief.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

toanoradian posted:

I shall now unleash the only FATAL reference I know:

That's easy, there's a table they can just copy.

The important thing to remember is that the FATAL combat rules include how to grapple with someone, then how to rape them, then there's rules for if they will get pregnant or not. Also that the best way to kill someone quickly is to put your dick in their ear or nostril.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

Update on Elite:

Still a videogame.

I have about a dozen hours in. I learned how to not land like a clown. I started doing some courier missions and trading for peanuts In my sidewinder.

Then got a couple missions for 150k to deliver some trash from point A to point B. Whats the point of trading (at least early on) when there are missions like that?

In any case I now have a Cobra Mk3 kinda set up for mining which I wanted to try. It looks kinda fun in youtube videos.

The sheer scale of the solar systems and game is breathtaking and now when I see a citizen poo poo on ED I actually get a little IRL mad at how disrespectful they are when they have literally nothing.

Once I get a little more established I'll migrate to the "story" areas where the community missions are. I also have yet to gently caress around with engineers or buggys or even combat really. Just been focusing on traveling from point A-B without loving up. Haven't been nonconsensually pvp'd yet.

Sorry friend but karma farming doesn't work on SA.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Update on Elite:

Still a videogame.

One wonders how the whole SC vs ED scenario would have played out had Frontier launched their Kickstarter first.

Would many of the SC whales have backed ED instead?

Would many of the toxic Citizens instead be toxic Elite fans, laughing at SC's struggling development?

Would SC's development be much further on, perhaps even released, had a lot of the vast crowdfunding budget been put in Frontier's more capable hands instead?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Erenthal posted:

When I just now saw that DCS is getting a multicrew Mi-24B Hind, I was instantly ready to throw money at a jpeg. In that moment I was struck with horror in that I and the citizens are not so unlike after all. Then I looked back at some redditposts and breathed a sigh of relief.

Unfortunately, EagleDyn et al. consistently make the mistake of actually releasing modules that you have to pay for, rather than just jpegs.

Also, after the Mi-8, I'm not sure I'm ready for another one of those hair-raising Russian + helicopter combos. And the F/A-18 will come with HARMs, so it's obviously far more exciting. :D

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Quavers posted:

One wonders how the whole SC vs ED scenario would have played out had Frontier launched their Kickstarter first.

Would many of the toxic Citizens instead be toxic Elite fans, laughing at SC's struggling development?

Would SC's development be much further on, perhaps even released, had a lot of the vast crowdfunding budget been put in Frontier's more capable hands instead?

If SC was a videogame I wouldn't mind the smugness. That's just part of the hobby (COD vs BF for example) but they have loving nothing. Like I'm just playing through the game normally having only done a fraction of what exists and I'm just checking off poo poo it does that citizens would cream themselves over and call groundbreaking if CR made a worse version of.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Quavers posted:

I think Elite was always going to be a quieter, smaller affair than SC, and was never going to be promising all the bells and whistles that attracted lunatics to SC. What turned the SC fanbase into rabid weasels was the constant upping of the stakes and promises that it was going to be the best thing ever, which I can't see Frontier ever doing. They never really made it about Braben either, and the messianic figurehead feels like an important part of the SC story.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

If SC was a videogame I wouldn't mind the smugness. That's just part of the hobby (COD vs BF for example) but they have loving nothing. Like I'm just playing through the game normally having only done a fraction of what exists and I'm just checking off poo poo it does that citizens would cream themselves over and call groundbreaking if CR made a worse version of.

That's the really funny part, though: every time a citizens expounds on the supposed superiority of SC over ED, based on the former having some feature X and ED lacking it, there's a good 90% chance that not only does ED have it already, but its implementation is far more sensible, efficient and fun than whatever nonsense has been theorycrafted for SC.

In the pissing contest between the two games, SC always seems to be just out of a three-day trek through the desert without a water bottle. Also, it sold both its kidneys for a crayon drawing of a glass of lemonade.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/StarmancerGame/status/881916600575827969

:thurman:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

http://www.effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

tuo posted:

No 3.0 in August, says Gamestar

http://www.pcgames.de/Star-Citizen-Spiel-3481/News/Alpha-30-Release-spaeter-verschoben-Gamestar-Titelstory-Chris-Roberts-1233718/

Translation:
"Our visit to Frankfurt made clear: many challenges (like integration of ingame-physics) are far from beeing conquered. Looking at the whole Star Citizen development history, it would surprise no one if the release of alpha 3.0 - originally planned for summer - would be delayed by one month or another."

Oh, the 3.0 release that was originally planned for this summer might delay a month or two. "Thank you German magazine. I notice you didn't mention that this is the same 3.0 release planned for this summer that was originally one week away from playable release back in Decemeber 2016.

Odd that you didn't mention that.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Also, after the Mi-8, I'm not sure I'm ready for another one of those hair-raising Russian + helicopter combos. And the F/A-18 will come with HARMs, so it's obviously far more exciting. :D

Yeah, but the Hind.

C'mon.

Not much; I usually break out the type-6 or 7 for lugging poo poo around, but the missions are usually better than freewheeling. Community goals tend to add a little more spice, but it's usually flying there in something nicer, then having the truck valeted to the station.

The community goals tend to reward simply signing up and contributing *anything*, BTW. A single combat voucher for the current goal will bring in 600K atm.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 24, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hav posted:

Yeah, but the Hind.

C'mon.

...A Hind-D?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
/r/StarCitizen: "Module Launch Schedule from BAFTA" (posted Jan 21st 2015. 355pts, 154 comments)

This golden-oldie post has some great comments and thread titles.

Arena Commander 2.0 still isn't out, with its Multicrew Ship team deathmatches, Capture The Idris, etc.

Star Citizen: why would CIG be dumb enough to make such miscalculations on release dates again?

Oops.

Oops #2

Star Citizen: while this schedule is optimistic it is still quite realistic

Star Citizen: at most add a week or two

:tif:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Xaerael posted:

loving :laffo: if anyone believes a word that PCgamer says. They've hyped everything bad from Daikatana to Duke Nukem Forever.

No, no! Trust PCgamer because they gave a positive "review" of Star Citizen.

gently caress all those other PC Gaming news outlets though, like Kotaku and Penny Arcade, because they aren't sucking the teat of gaming GOD Chris "communitypress01 right?" Roberts.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
CIG is so community backer oriented that their booth at gamescom is a private press booth.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

ModernSociety posted:

Caught up with the Thread. Woo! Now I have nothing else to do but actual work. Boo

How was everyones weekend? I went camping and swam with seals :3: . It was kickass, and made me realise how awesome it will be when I can do the same thing in Star Citizen, but with 500,000 other commandos.

https://youtu.be/gs6oPhWcsG4

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I have been considering picking up Elite to play in VR.

How does game play differ from non-VR, and (dumb question) can you play it while sitting down?

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Golli posted:

I have been considering picking up Elite to play in VR.

How does game play differ from non-VR, and (dumb question) can you play it while sitting down?

You kinda have to play it sitting down.

VR makes dog-fighting so much easier when you can track targets as they fly past or as you are circling back on them. It's 100% cool as poo poo. It also makes it easier to trigger the ship's left and right screens (since you just look at them to activate them).

Just make sure to use a hotas or controller--its tough to use a keyboard you can't see.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

toanoradian posted:

I'm so bad with computer science I couldn't interpret a coding joke
That's because you should've compiled it instead.

:v:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I dont get how Elite Dangerous selling ship cosmetics is greedy and bad, but Star Citizen selling entire ships (or jpgs thereof) is cool and good?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I dont get how Elite Dangerous selling ship cosmetics is greedy and bad, but Star Citizen selling entire ships (or jpgs thereof) is cool and good?

People who think that are stupid as hell. Isn't much more to it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Meridian posted:

People who think that are stupid as hell. Isn't much more to it.

NO LET ME TELL YOU THAT I HAD TO PAY NEARLY FIVE US DOLLARS TO GET MY NAMEPLATE ON MY SHIP AND TURN THE ENGINE GREEN ITS A TRAVESTY THAT IN THIS DAY AND AGE....Ohh, a buggy.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

mdxi posted:

Sweet, I didn't miss out on the Women Who Don't Get Enough Credit In Computing chat! My nominees are:

Henriette Avram, who started her career in pre-med, married in 1941, had children, and then went back to school to become a mathematician and work for the NSA. More-or-less nothing is known of her work at the NSA, even though it was in the early 1950s and it is difficult to conceive of it still being relevant to national security. In any case, her work there isn't what made her a household name -- if you share a household with a librarian, anyway. Avram went on to work for the Library of Congress, where she designed, implemented, ran the nation-wide pilot program for, and pushed through as an international standard, MARC, which is still used in functionally all libraries as the electronic format for bibliographic data. If you really enjoy computing history, I recommend finding a copy of the MARC Pilot Project report and giving it a read.

Barbara Liskov. Dr. Liskov is a Turing award winner, and did much of the research work which supports modern distributed computing systems. As such, she has worked extensively in areas like fault tolerance and consistency, which are some of the deepest and most difficult areas of computing I've ever dipped my toes into. This also means that almost every programmer currently working (her Turing award was for work which led to the development of Object Oriented Programming), and almost everyone using computers which touch the internet (the back-end systems at Google, Amazon, and even more prosaic things like the storage systems at Netflix, couldn't exist without her distributed systems work) stands on her shoulders everyday. Yet she is almost unknown because (A) she's a woman and (B) infrastructure work isn't sexy in computing, which is just as faddish and trend-driven as anything else.

Edit: Radia Perlman, who invented the spanning-tree protocol, which enabled networks to grow to almost arbitrary sizes without packet storms and routing loops. You wouldn't have the internet as you know it without this.

You're asking why systemic, institutionalized sexism is problematic. I am willing to do a Gorf-style writeup to answer you, but it's going to have to wait until later tomorrow. I'm already up too late and I have a lot to do in the morning.

I've heard of Dr. Liskov but not the others. Good info and reading. Thank you! :glomp:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hav posted:

NO LET ME TELL YOU THAT I HAD TO PAY NEARLY FIVE US DOLLARS TO GET MY NAMEPLATE ON MY SHIP AND TURN THE ENGINE GREEN ITS A TRAVESTY THAT IN THIS DAY AND AGE....Ohh, a buggy.

When does CIG start charging real cash dollars for in game ship maintenance?

Please forward all business inquiries to my PMs.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No, no! Trust PCgamer because they gave a positive "review" of Star Citizen.

They also wrote some top notch puff pieces about Mechwarrior Online when it was a huge mess and Transverse was burning down around PGI's ears.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Hav posted:

Pro Tip: With the post-Brexit-vote economy, make sure to buy everything on the Frontier website in GBP instead of USD. Even with any fees your credit card might charge, it's a lot cheaper given how low the quid is these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fil5000 posted:

They also wrote some top notch puff pieces about Mechwarrior Online when it was a huge mess and Transverse was burning down around PGI's ears.

THEY'RE JUST STICKING UP FOR THE LITTLE GUY :byodood: WHO CARES IF 157 MILLION DOLLARS "EARNED" IS IN THE TOP 1% OF ALL VIDEO GAME BUDGETS EVER :byodood::respek::reddit: