Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Janitor Prime posted:

Hey guys I'm trying to create a job posting and can't come up with the right title for this position. Basically, I need someone who can do the following:
  • Willing to travel to other countries for extended trips, up to a month at a time
  • Collect measurements in the field using custom phones and test software
  • Plan the logistics of getting the necessary equipment into the field
  • Analyze the data and actually interpret it to realize if something is wrong in the field and troubleshoot what the problems are
  • Generate reports from the data to read out to the customers

I think a Field Engineer is the right title, but is there something better than that?

Ideas for that title:
Field analyst
Logistics engineer
Business analyst
Logistics analyst
Logistics coordinator
Any random collection of the words above, like inserting "field" in front of any of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Field Cum Dumpster

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
Field "No Marrieds or Kids" Engineer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

abet accredits software engineering now

for awhile now yeah

they also accredit artistic ceramics programs and metallurgy

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

ultravoices posted:

Field "No Marrieds or Kids" Engineer

Uber Field Sperg Engineer

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

So I think I've decided I don't want this SEO software tool job, whatever the result of the interview. Spent a good portion of last night reading about it and I guess I hadn't realised how sketchy that market is. I think one thing I don't need on my resume is a company where I'm constantly having to justify a business model that brazenly breaches the TOS of other companies in order to function.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qhat posted:

So I think I've decided I don't want this tool job

actually, it seems perfect for you

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
dear recruiter,

if you can't even get my name first name right when sending an unsolicited email to <first name>@domain I will want to work with you even less than I want to work with most recruiters.

regard,
-<first name>

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mishaq posted:

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

leper khan posted:

dear recruiter,

if you can't even get my name first name right when sending an unsolicited email to <first name>@domain I will want to work with you even less than I want to work with most recruiters.

regard,
-<first name>

Hello {firstName}

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

mishaq posted:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

goddamnit I think I might start interviewing

gently caress interviewing

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

AWWNAW posted:

goddamnit I think I might start interviewing

gently caress interviewing

It's so bad but the figgies are so good

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

some of the apartments in the south bay seem p. deece, that plus being reasonably close to the actual outdoors seems like it should make endless brown suburbia pretty tolerable

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

DuckConference posted:

endless brown suburbia

mods

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i mean there are a few green plants

but most are not

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm gonna have to start giving some interviews soon

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
spent all day yesterday interviewing people for an entry level role on our team. my first time in that side of the table and it was cool as hell. hardest part is that I'd hire all of the top 4 but we only have one spot. fortunately my boss makes the final call.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

mod saas posted:

spent all day yesterday interviewing people for an entry level role on our team. my first time in that side of the table and it was cool as hell. hardest part is that I'd hire all of the top 4 but we only have one spot. fortunately my boss makes the final call.

It's cool to interview for the first half dozen times but then it gets real old soon after

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

qhat posted:

It's cool to interview for the first half dozen times but then it gets real old soon after

I've never liked doing it, but I usually also get all of a 15 minutes notice.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I like interviewing when the candidate does really well or really poorly. it's the in betweeners that I hate because it's just awkward and bad.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

watching someone who's out of their depth struggle through the most basic stuff for an hour is painful, especially when you lob a softball question their way in an effort to make it less awful and they manage to bung that up too

I like asking designers "what's a good piece of design you've seen recently?" and it's weird how many of them can't answer it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
at that point I just try to find out how easy I have to go before they can answer correctly. do they know how to print their own name?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qhat posted:

lifetime judgement calls based on less than a full day's work lol

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

at that point I just try to find out how easy I have to go before they can answer correctly. do they know how to print their own name?

do a binary search for their power level

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
never seen a job in this industry that was for a lifetime
500 work day judgment call on 1 work day? eh

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i can't wait until we hire all our reqs and i don't have to interview folks anymore.

i hate doing them so much

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

curufinor posted:

never seen a job in this industry that was for a lifetime
500 work day judgment call on 1 work day? eh

I was once told in an interview that they were expecting the person they hire to stay for at least 5 years. lol.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

I was once told in an interview that they were expecting the person they hire to stay for at least 5 years. lol.

how serious were they about it though

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

how serious were they about it though

They were serious in the sense that they asked me it several times in different roundabout ways. My guess at the time was they recently hired someone who left after a short time and this time they wanted to make sure that wouldn't happen again, no matter how futile that actually is.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
"How can we retain our devs better?"

*Goes Fatal Attraction on Interviewees*

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i'm planning to stay at this job for 5+ years as long as they keep up their policy of trusting me and never loving with me about anything ever. but who knows, my vp could quit and be replaced by someone with a completely different management style

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i'm planning to stay at this job for 5+ years as long as they keep up their policy of trusting me and never loving with me about anything ever. but who knows, my vp could quit and be replaced by someone with a completely different management style

:yossame:

my manager and my vp keep me in my current job, they let me do whatever i want

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I plan to stay at this job as long as the stock keeps rising and you keep the grants coming in increasing quantities. if you can guarantee that then I guarantee 5+ years

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the amount of time i can endure the bay area is entirely contingent upon whether the drought continues or i get to see rain. this constant, weirdly intense sun is depressing me. give me gray skies and raindrops on the window.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

coastal California has two seasons - wet and dry. the wet season is apparently optional

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

idk why people say the Midwest has 4 seasons though - you have snow, mud and construction. that's only 3

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I never knew what rainy season actually was until I moved to Vancouver. And that's coming from a Londoner.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
if you want this oneupmanship game, I once saw 50 cm of rain come down in 20 minutes in korea

lol

it flooded the bus i was in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

upside of being from vancouver: everywhere else is less rainy
downside: most places are too goddamn cold

• Locked thread