Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
if it makes you feel better the employees that made the wrestling games probably left ages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Call Me Charlie posted:

rip aki

condemned to an eternity of making anime games for the mortal sin of being too greedy with their engine https://twitter.com/synsophia :(

condemned to heaven, real harsh

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

people really seem to like those style savvy games

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Super No Vacancy posted:

people really seem to like those style savvy games

They're very good

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It occurs to me that it probably wouldn't be too hard for 2k to just steal good things from Fire Pro or other games. They clearly want to make reversals less of a thing by limiting them, but FP just makes counters a rare thing by nature of the engine rather than having them be a dedicated button. The grapple timing might be considered too tricky for a "mainstream" title, but then it's like the reversal timing. They'll probably never have the time to implement something like variable AI but at least the CP wrestlers could not just stand there idling.

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
I was trying to make some CAWs on the new Fire Pro on Steam. It only lets my wrestler have 180 edit points. Is there a way to get more?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Scott Justice posted:

I was trying to make some CAWs on the new Fire Pro on Steam. It only lets my wrestler have 180 edit points. Is there a way to get more?

Two ways. One do the entire mission mode. Two, download a save with the mission mode completed. That can be found here;

http://www.fpwarena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1090

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
A good analogy for the wrestling games at the moment is: WWE is ...WWE, the big dog. Fire Pro is NJPW, the respectable promotion, and MDickie is CZW.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

simosimo posted:

A good analogy for the wrestling games at the moment is: WWE is ...WWE, the big dog. Fire Pro is NJPW, the respectable promotion, and MDickie is CZW.

mdickie is Global Force Gold

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

roh is chie, wwn is yukiko, new japan is rise, czw is naoto, wwe is teddie

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

MotU posted:

Mdickie is me. Hello every one do you enjoy my video game software for computers and phones.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

projecthalaxy posted:

Mdickie is me.

Michael Tarver?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Super No Vacancy posted:

roh is chie, wwn is yukiko, new japan is rise, czw is naoto, wwe is teddie

they all suck b/c theyre not Ai

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

MotU posted:

I will be using this going forward, thank you.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
MDickie is a backyard promotion: nothing like an actual wrestling show but bless their hearts for trying.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
At least I suffer the games so you don't have to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_EICOHPK-s

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

This match opened with Kris Wolf chomping on Mayu's forehead until she bled. Ended with half the ring covered in blood and an exhausted Mayu hitting her finisher out of nowhere.

FPW is seriously the best.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

My only 💯 match so far was between Fale and Goto. They each hit a bunch of big moves but were always too exhausted to cover, until Fale picked Goto up by the throat and choked him out for the win

It was awesome

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

simosimo posted:

At least I suffer the games so you don't have to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_EICOHPK-s

is this the actual framerate of the game or is this 20fps due to youtube/capture compression

jred250 posted:

poo poo on 2k all you want but at least that game is loving playable

hahaha have you ever even bothered to watch anything from newlegacyinc, the 2k games are dogshit that gently caress up constantly.
and yes, if only 2k did literally everything better it would get a "pass" but right now it's a yearly game that will never get better

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

DLC Inc posted:

is this the actual framerate of the game or is this 20fps due to youtube/capture compression

hahaha have you ever even bothered to watch anything from newlegacyinc, the 2k games are dogshit that gently caress up constantly.
and yes, if only 2k did literally everything better it would get a "pass" but right now it's a yearly game that will never get better

Actual. The game relies on the slower framerate as that's how the moves are animated. You can set the game speed to 500% to get more frames, but it's wrestling on crack (way to fast to be playable)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
2k's engine is entirely playable. That's not necessarily the same as "good", mind you, but I can't imagine getting as far in an MDickie game as I have in 2k14.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This game is just fun to watch and fun to play. That's my hot take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_S5jbrS4og

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

2K games are more playable but they can't capture the sprinting pace of indie wrestling like FP does. People talk about the power of its AI but there's really nothing compelling about watching bots flail at one another until one of them one of them runs out of stamina.

TEW is the best and only game about wrestling as an artifice and it's in-match gameplay is on par with FPW in terms of fun factor.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Like FPW is great if your goal for simulation is "Brock Lesnar goes for a german suplex as frequently as he would in real life". It's great for that - in that 4v4 linked, the guy with boxing gloves does nothing but punch and the kickboxing guy does knees a lot. Great.

There's more to a wrestling match than that, and whatever its virtues I'll never get over how frequently strikers whiff like idiots or throw Irish whips just to let their opponent smack into them harmlessly, due to the perspective / space programming. Or how even "epic" matches like the 4v4 end on a wet fart because that's where the dice roller determined M. Bison threw in the towel.

At least in TEW, the locker room would have turned on M Bison over a literal wet fart

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Whole lot of stupid rear end opinions about fire pro up in here

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The problem is it takes forever to get anywhere in TEW. Even if you play a small promotion that runs shows once a month you have to manually advance through all the days where nothing happens because it insists on a real pace instead of just focusing on important events. Like too many simulations of its type it's very opaque and goes for detail over playability.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You do know about multi-advance, don't you?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont mind the pace of the game when you do one show a month, its when you have weekly shows that it quickly becomes tiresome

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I usually have a hard time starting up a game but once I'm into the swing of things everything moves faster. Like, as look as I'm properly setting up thinks in advance I know what big matches I'm building to, have all my storylines, and even pre-book stuff a week in advance and can just put it right into a show.

And then eventually I burn out, but that's the nature of the game and my general habits. Get obsessed with something for awhile and then get sick of it and walk away for awhile.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

are there good real world mods rn

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm in the year 2027 and do 9 shows a month. I'm a literal crazy person

(I use free writing angles, limited storylines, and each show takes like 2 minutes to book)

I can easily understand why the game would not be certain people's taste, but there are a lot of options that let you breeze through time if you don't want to do everything

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
The auto show maker is a godsend. Just turn off show times, let it make a show for you, and manually use anybody it misses, and boom done.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm thinking I gotta make a Kevin Owens Battleground verison who does nothing but a chinlock. Like, all match.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
This is an important q regarding new Fire Pro. Can the wrestlers still knock themselves out while hitting a move on their opponent like dummies? Is there the looming threat you char might kick out of a pin and KO himself? New Legacy's Brawferaw tournament from like 2 years ago had some good instances of that and I was wondering if the new one still has this happen sometimes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Kim Justice's review of FPW also covers some of the history of the series, and how its fortunes have been linked to that of pro wrestling in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQHQmMeDyCE

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Kim Justice's review of FPW also covers some of the history of the series, and how its fortunes have been linked to that of pro wrestling in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQHQmMeDyCE

A good opportunity to play the "which Japanese wrestler entrances make up the BGM" game as well.

Guess it's time to plug the PS3 in and wait patiently for the PS4 release.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Good Listener posted:

This is an important q regarding new Fire Pro. Can the wrestlers still knock themselves out while hitting a move on their opponent like dummies? Is there the looming threat you char might kick out of a pin and KO himself? New Legacy's Brawferaw tournament from like 2 years ago had some good instances of that and I was wondering if the new one still has this happen sometimes.

I haven't seen it so I think it's one of those old bugs that was finally fixed with the move to new code.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wait is that Suda51 thing for loving real holy poo poo I need to play that right away

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

algebra testes posted:

Wait is that Suda51 thing for loving real holy poo poo I need to play that right away

Not mentioned in the video: Flair can also beat you to death in the ring during the climactic title match, in addition to the normal pinfall/submission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Yup! Here's Suda's side of things, taken from a recent issue of Retro Gamer Magazine...

Suda 51 posted:

To go back a little bit further, before we hit that game specifically, Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special was the game you were referring to, but I also made Super Fire Pro Wrestling 3, that was supposed to be the final game in the series, but it sold very well, so I had the opportunity to work on Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special, which also had a story mode. As the game sold well, [Human] said, "Make another one. This time, you can make it whatever you want."

I thought about what I could do to make this game unique, so I realised that the Fire Pro series itself was just a simulator, about raising a particular wrestler and having him rise through the ranks. I thought, "Well, what can I do within that? I know: I can make this a story, I can make this a story-driven experience."

Pro wrestling at the time was experiencing a boom in Japan – hence the games selling so well – so within that big boom, you have people getting very philosophical about wrestling and writing a bunch of things – analysis – and all these deep things. I'm personally a huge fan of wrestling, so I thought how I could give my take on wrestling? What's my philosophy? I saw the game as a vehicle to do that.

The final boss is a guy named Dick Slender, which is a parody of Ric Flair, and so originally I thought, "We can have two endings here – one, you beat the guy and you get the happy ending, the other, you lose and get the bad ending." I didn't decide to go with the two endings – instead, you go on and beat the last boss, he gets all the acclaim from the crowd, from the people, and the screen gradually goes from white, to black. It shows the character's house, and he's committed suicide... For me, it was like an apotheosis – the character had become a god.

It turned into a shitstorm.
Suda left the team during the development of the first PS1 game, but he still holds a candle for the series, recording a congratulatory message for Fire Pro World's announcement event.