Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Zzulu posted:

Did anyone outside of Europe come up with the ballista? Or all the other cool european stuff that all the lesser uncool countries failed to come up with

If you have to ask this question the answer is always "China did it first and better but doesn't count because China."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"The earliest documented occurrence of ancient siege-artillery pieces in China was the levered principled traction catapult and an 8-foot-high siege crossbow from the Mozi (Mo Jing), a Mohist text written at about the 4th – 3rd century BC by followers of Mozi who founded the Mohist school of thought during the late Spring and Autumn period and the early Warring States period. Much of what we now know of the siege technology of the time came to us from Books 14 and 15 (Chapters 52 to 71) on Siege Warfare from the Mo Jing. Recorded and preserved on bamboo strips, much of the text is now unfortunately extremely corrupted. However, despite the heavy fragmentation, Mohist diligence and attention to details which set Mo Jing apart from other works ensured that the highly descriptive details of the workings of mechanical devices like Cloud Ladders, Rotating Arcuballistas and Levered Catapults, records of siege techniques and usage of siege weaponry can still be found today.[3]"

Also the Mongols spread siege engines over the world by forcibly recruiting Chinese and PErsian experts and taking them on their campaigns.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No one cares about china

But yeah I saw that movie Hero or whatever and they had like guys using their feet to shoot heavy crossbows or whatever. It was very strange

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
its going to be so annoying because the giant crossbow is gonna kill at least one dragon but it's gonna be in a hamfisted "because remember this is Game of Thrones so the bad guys win" way when all I care about is the got dang night king and the army of the dead.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bag em and tag em posted:

all I care about is the got dang night king and the army of the dead.

the truth

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The night king gonna get stabbed by Jon Snoo and all the zombies are gonna fall apart just as everything seems hopeless

Then we'll get a voiceover by GRRM talking about pies and cakes or whatever and then it'll end

~fin

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who cares if cersei found a ballista. Euron already has a miilon of them shooting flaming explosive tipped bolts mounted on his battleships

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Who cares if cersei found a ballista. Euron already has a miilon of them shooting flaming explosive tipped bolts mounted on his battleships

But this one is really strong!!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Actually it's a huge pile of poo poo. Did you see how slowly it fired that bolt and how much slack there was on the cord? Pathetic.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
YThey have that green tnt, right? Like someone else said about rocket launchers, would it be THAT big a stretch for some dumb wizard to figure out, "Hey, let's make a long, metal tube with explosives at one end and a friggin load of scrap in there too and make a giant shotgun cannon."?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I didn't understand the directors intent when it's Yara v Euron v Theon. They show Yara and Theon crying a bit, but is she sad that Theon won't help? Like wtf is he supposed to do there is literally a blade against her throat he can't do nothing. Or was it like, a silent moment where they both know he has to abandon her to have any hope of survival himself.

Also, ~fart~

a goon who can't read faces??

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

How the gently caress did the Sand Snakes get match-made against Euron? They're silver and he's a plat. Fix your loving game ubisoft.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

DoctorStrangelove posted:

How the gently caress did the Sand Snakes get match-made against Euron? They're silver and he's a plat. Fix your loving game ubisoft.

I like how for this fight they remembered those girls can't fight for poo poo and went wild with the editing, and even still the girl with the spear managed to look like she was w seconds from announcing it was morphin time.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I enjoyed euros simply punching them half conscious before killing them

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Also you can add a few more rapes to GoT because those Vikings are gonna with vorenus wife

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I hope a that boarding ramp crushes more people.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Pretty sure snake momma was impaled on the mast above hanging yara.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yara and snake mom are captured, and snake mom is going to be the priceless gift, delivered to Cersei for revengification

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Universe Master posted:

Pretty sure snake momma was impaled on the mast above hanging yara.

it was spear snake and whip snake who euone mercilessly owned I'm pretty sure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Glenn Quebec posted:

Also you can add a few more rapes to GoT because those Vikings are gonna with vorenus wife

poo poo that is lucius wife. I thought she looked familiar but I couldn't place her

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

bag em and tag em posted:

it was spear snake and whip snake who euone mercilessly owned I'm pretty sure.

yeah spear snake and whip snake were the two on the prow and titty snake and momma snake are going to be urine's gifts to cersei

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

does cersei have any reason to really care about Yara one way or the other? seems like snek mum is the real prize.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, last night's episode was a jaw-dropper! Had a lot of fun watching it with friends and look forward to the next episode. :)

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

does cersei have any reason to really care about Yara one way or the other? seems like snek mum is the real prize.

i think Yara is more Euron's personal prize cuz he was super pissed about her and theon running away. also probably a little plot armor for Yara because they didn't feel like killing the character yet

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im still convinced that the ending will be Jerry Seinfeld waking up from a dream and the bass guitar music plays

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Chinatown posted:

im still convinced that the ending will be Jerry Seinfeld waking up from a dream and the bass guitar music plays

This show is not good enough to have this ending.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I wish there were like subtitles that would pop up whenever a character comes on screen showing their name and who they are. I didn't even know who Euron was until I looked him up and I feel like this happens with every character except I guess the Starks (the main ones at least) and Tyrion.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I hope a giant steps on some more people

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

proof of concept posted:

I hope a giant steps on some more people

:yeah: and i hope some more titties bounce around too!!!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Titties are nice and all but are there any butts?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How old is euron supposed to be anyway, his brother looked like he was 100 years old, and he is meant to be theon's uncle, but looks about as old as him

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Titties are nice and all but are there any butts?

yes. like, right after a titty shot you get a butt shot. they are thoughtful like that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
35 years old

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zzulu posted:

35 years old

thank u

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

How old is euron supposed to be anyway, his brother looked like he was 100 years old, and he is meant to be theon's uncle, but looks about as old as him

in the books he's young and vital because he uses foreign magic and warlocks and stuff to be a heavy metal magic viking.

in the show you've probably given it more thought than the writers

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Probably my biggest nerd rage in this show is that apparently the society has been like this for thousands of years. You'd think they'd be evolving like normal societies but no we still have dark age technology and poo poo. I point this out because 'oh we made a big crossbow' is clearly some form of technological marvel, you think with the explosive green stuff guns would be on the way and in 500 years it would be like WWI GoT with machine guns or something which would be cool.

I guess really that's why I can't get into fantasy like this and Star Wars. My autism should allow me to enjoy it but instead my autism makes me hate it. I'd rather watch Game of Trains or something.

Also I'm still kind of annoyed that it appears 'oh a huge load of dragon glass is in dragon stone that no one knew about at all but Samwell found it' is going to be the big plot point that will help the people against the ice guys. Like how am I going to believe no one ever knew about that?

Show bad

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Queens and ladies start baby making in their teens and don't stop until their forties. Plenty of time for vast age differences.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

If you have to ask this question the answer is always "China did it first and better but doesn't count because China."

Everyone had ballista because they're fairly simple but the more advanced siege weapons were all Europe. Europe developed siege and siege assault to a psychotic degree. It's the one field you can say Europe led in from the high middle ages on.

The Mongols used western siege tech (via middle eastern engineers who had copied it from the crusaders) to beat Chinese forts that had had held the line for decades previously.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

Also the Mongols spread siege engines over the world by forcibly recruiting Chinese and PErsian experts and taking them on their campaigns.

China was behind the curve on siege tech by the Mongols conquests. The Persian engineers were prized because they knew how to build frank style counterwieght trebuchet

SickZip fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Also urine's axe :black101: