Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Leal posted:

Stormblood has a fate called M Bop

Mmmm bop ba du bop ba duba dop

And there is 12 ilms (the FF14 inches) of Snow

I'm glad there is someone besides me who is stuck in the 90s on the FF14 translation team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi9oCQC-oRk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I somehow missed that joke when I first played, but replaying it last year, I nearly choked when I got to that moment.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I remember the nerd rage being off the charts when the original game came out because how dare they bastardize it with lame western jokes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
It's really hard to describe this without spoiling it, but Persona 5 has a big plot twist that can best be summarized as 'it turns out every single person involved in this is far more intelligent than you gave them credit for'. Right at the end of the prologue that starts off the game (most of which is a flashback framed as you telling a prosecutor the events of the game), you're told that somebody on your team betrayed you and got you arrested. By the time you get back to that point in the story though, it is blatantly obvious who did that, even if it was never said directly.

Not that that's the actual twist, because the game trusts you as the player to have figured that one out. Instead, because the game up until that point had been a retelling in the interrogation, it missed a few key facts, including the REAL twist: that your team saw through this poo poo months ago, based off a throwaway line dozens of hours beforehand, and were planning around it. Your character's too out of it to remember the entire plan that you didn't even know existed until now, though, so your job as the player is to try to figure out what the gently caress you're supposed to do based on the few grabs he does remember. So the entire setup is basically that everybody involved both inside and outside of the game is smarter than they first seemed.

I absolutely adore everything about Persona 5, it's probably my favorite game of the past who-knows-how-many-years, but the fact it respects the intelligence of both the player and the characters so much is probably one of the more interesting ones.

It's also got a really accurate, sympathetic depiction of a high-functioning autistic person that treats them as an actual person struggling with these things, which I've never seen before, although I admit I don't experience much media that'd have it. That's more than just a 'little thing' though, given that character's probably the highlight of the whole game to me. (EDIT: Also, just checked on a hunch and I mentioned her before, but whatever she's worth mentioning again.)

EDIT AGAIN: One more thing that just struck me, and I don't know how it hasn't come up before now: One of the later bosses is a fairly overt reference to Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising. This includes his having an instrumental boss theme that gains lyrics when the throwdown really starts.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:07 on Jul 24, 2017

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

It's really hard to describe this without spoiling it, but Persona 5 has a big plot twist that can best be summarized as 'it turns out every single person involved in this is far more intelligent than you gave them credit for'. Right at the end of the prologue that starts off the game (most of which is a flashback framed as you telling a prosecutor the events of the game), you're told that somebody on your team betrayed you and got you arrested. By the time you get back to that point in the story though, it is blatantly obvious who did that, even if it was never said directly.

Not that that's the actual twist, because the game trusts you as the player to have figured that one out. Instead, because the game up until that point had been a retelling in the interrogation, it missed a few key facts, including the REAL twist: that your team saw through this poo poo months ago, based off a throwaway line dozens of hours beforehand, and were planning around it. Your character's too out of it to remember the entire plan that you didn't even know existed until now, though, so your job as the player is to try to figure out what the gently caress you're supposed to do based on the few grabs he does remember. So the entire setup is basically that everybody involved both inside and outside of the game is smarter than they first seemed.

I absolutely adore everything about Persona 5, it's probably my favorite game of the past who-knows-how-many-years, but the fact it respects the intelligence of both the player and the characters so much is probably one of the more interesting ones.

It's also got a really accurate, sympathetic depiction of a high-functioning autistic person that treats them as an actual person struggling with these things, which I've never seen before, although I admit I don't experience much media that'd have it. That's more than just a 'little thing' though, given that character's probably the highlight of the whole game to me. (EDIT: Also, just checked on a hunch and I mentioned her before, but whatever she's worth mentioning again.)

I figured something like that would be coming up in the game as it's a pretty typical thing for these kinds of setups, but my favourite part is still the twist about Igor and the Velvet Room, including why his voice was different the entire time..

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation

Morpheus posted:

I figured something like that would be coming up in the game as it's a pretty typical thing for these kinds of setups, but my favourite part is still the twist about Igor and the Velvet Room, including why his voice was different the entire time..

I was talking to a bunch of friends when I started how I hated Igor's new voice, and didn't really get why they did it in English since I could tell the principal was Igor's original VA. That twist was really interesting, though, because the groundwork was there for basically the whole game, it's just only set up through tiny little details and discrepancies that only really people who played enough Persona games to 'know' Igor would pick up on. Even then, though, I rationalized the different performance throughout much of the game as 'I know his Japanese VA died, so it makes sense they'd be directing this new guy differently'.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Jul 24, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nuebot posted:

In Symphony of the Night there's a library with a secret room containing a "Stone Mask" that makes you smarter. Multiple fist weapons have a punch-flurry combo weapon skill and in some of the later games, I think one of the GBA games, the character specifically has a little ORA voice clip to go with it as well.

In Aria of Sorrow there's a time wizard enemy that shows up in one screen that resets time, and the time stop soul you get from it has a similar visual effect to Dio's time stop.

Oh and that Dawn of Sorrow boss even says the exact same thing Dio says when he stops time.

Also the Sky Fish enemy in Aria of Sorrow that can be killed with the timestop ability is both a reference to a now-debunked cryptid and simultaneously a JoJo reference from part 6.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

brb digging out my copies of Aria and Dawn of Sorrow

Seriously, those games were the poo poo. Excellent exploration, cool mechanics, neat gimmicks, and a neat cast of characters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

EDIT AGAIN: One more thing that just struck me, and I don't know how it hasn't come up before now: One of the later bosses is a fairly overt reference to Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising. This includes his having an instrumental boss theme that gains lyrics when the throwdown really starts.

It doesn't hurt that Rivers in the Desert is also the sickest tune in the game :rock:.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Persona 5 is my game of the year for this year and probably next year.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Leavemywife posted:

Seriously, those games were the poo poo. Excellent exploration, cool mechanics, neat gimmicks, and a neat cast of characters.

Great music too.

Dawn of Sorrow was a fantastic game and if it weren't for the really dumb rune drawing after each boss it would be pretty nearly flawless. One of my favorite DS games, for sure.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
In Tyranny, in almost every situation where someone wants your character's input on something, you have the option to [Glare silently]. The plot will always progress regardless.

Your character in Tyranny is basically a wandering fantasy judge empowered to lay down the law of the evil overlord Kyros. Late in the game you're summoned by the Archon of Justice, your boss, who judges you on how faithful you've been to Kyros's law over the course of the game. If you've been [Glaring silently] at everyone, he'll call you out on it and ask how you intend to execute the law if you never ask for any information about the cases you're adjudicating.

At this point you can respond by saying that not speaking actually gets you the most information, because in your experience, criminals tend to keep talking if you just stare at them and eventually incriminate themselves. If you do this the Archon is taken aback and mightily impressed.

Alternatively you can [Glare silently] at the Archon, in which case he facepalms and asks himself why he expected anything different :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation

Leavemywife posted:

Persona 5 is my game of the year for this year and probably next year.

I think it's my game of the decade, and I'm only drawing the line there because 2009 had Persona 4 and I'm scared to compare the two since P4 was such a huge part of my personal development.

It's seriously so effortlessly good at having a compelling and moving story that it's made every other game worse by comparison.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That's a deeply embarrassing post, lol.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

packetmantis posted:

Ok dude.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leavemywife posted:

You should get a copy of Symphony as well and play all 3 because they're good and fun and have a ton of weird poo poo that's good.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

packetmantis posted:

Good job being lovely I guess?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Just Offscreen posted:

Good job being lovely I guess?

Naw it was pr funny lol.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
My development was also based on grindfest JRPGs.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I got through puberty because of final fantasy X

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Most influential things in my life (not in order):
- Family
- Friends
- Anime

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Art in all its forms is known for connecting emotionally with the consumer and thus melding with memories and personal growth. It's why certain songs might remind you of your grandparents, for example.

Hope this helps the robots/goons in this thread understand how humans work.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm going to stop you right there and see if you can notice your mistake

Unless of course you are referring to spec ops the line?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I'm going to stop you right there and see if you can notice your mistake

Unless of course you are referring to spec ops the line?

I mean, I don't know about any other posters, but my mind went to one game, and one game only while reading rydiafan's post: senran kagura.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

rydiafan posted:

Art in all its forms is known for connecting emotionally with the consumer and thus melding with memories and personal growth. It's why certain songs might remind you of your grandparents, for example.

Yeah no poo poo. Of course one can have emotional connection to media, in general we dont consume media we dont feel an emotion toward because otherwise it fails to leave an impression.

That post was a little beyond the pale though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rydiafan posted:

It would've been fine if they'd been saying that about, the truest example of game becoming art, Kingdom Hearts.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah no poo poo. Of course one can have emotional connection to media, in general we dont consume media we dont feel an emotion toward because otherwise it fails to leave an impression.

That post was a little beyond the pale though.

Nah, you're just weirdly salty. As is the other guy.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Mother 3 was my gateway to communism

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Maybe stop harshing people for liking video games in this, the thread where people like video games.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Naruto got me through my grandfather's death.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Final Fantasy 7 got me through my first breakup.

Just kidding it was Final Fantasy 9.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Vic posted:

Final Fantasy 7 got me through my first breakup.

Just kidding it was Final Fantasy 9.

I mean 9 was about letting go

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Persona 4 just managed to drill into me the importance of actually treating other people like human beings worth my time instead of annoyances, and that it's okay to talk about your own problems and insecurities sometimes. I will readily admit to being such a lovely teenager that I needed that at that point.

It also gave me something resembling a positive depiction of a trans person at a time when other stuff wasn't really providing anything close. So that helped. I'm sorry that these are apparently bad things to have gleaned from a JRPG, I assure you all I would have learned these from an open world cover shooter or something had I the option, but I didn't.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

One piece taught me to value friendship.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Persona 4 just managed to drill into me the importance of actually treating other people like human beings worth my time instead of annoyances, and that it's okay to talk about your own problems and insecurities sometimes. I will readily admit to being such a lovely teenager that I needed that at that point.

It also gave me something resembling a positive depiction of a trans person at a time when other stuff wasn't really providing anything close. So that helped. I'm sorry that these are apparently bad things to have gleaned from a JRPG, I assure you all I would have learned these from an open world cover shooter or something had I the option, but I didn't.

You needed a game to teach you to be nice to people? Thats terrifying.

Also I like persona a lot but its "portrayal of trans people" is really bad homie.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Pokemon taught me to fight animals with other animals.

Not all of them are good lessons.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I can't play Persona 5 as it's really loving expensive. Gonna get Nier Automta next month while waiting for P5 to hopefully someday go down in price. I saw Nier was like £35 and was like "OK, cool I can swing that" then saw P5 at £60 and just went "hahahahaha nope"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation

RagnarokAngel posted:

You needed a game to teach you to be nice to people? Thats terrifying.

Also I like persona a lot but its "portrayal of trans people" is really bad homie.

I will not defend teenage me, teenage me was poo poo, like all teenagers. I will say I was more disconnected than anything else, though, I just saw no real use in socializing and making many friends. The boring loner rather than the scary loner.

Naoto I'll agree isn't even trans, and if it came out now she should probably rightly be considered a cop-out at best. But it's not like there was much better out there at the time, especially in video games (where it's still nearly nonexistent), I was in 'take what I can get' mode back then.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Naoto's entire arc was about how she felt she had to be male in order to be successful as a detective. The arc's resolution is her realizing that she shouldn't hide who she really is and instead strive to be respected as her true self. You're kind of missing the entire point of the character if you think they are supposed to be trans. History is full of women who felt the need to crossdress to be successful.

IShallRiseAgain has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

I can't play Persona 5 as it's really loving expensive. Gonna get Nier Automta next month while waiting for P5 to hopefully someday go down in price. I saw Nier was like £35 and was like "OK, cool I can swing that" then saw P5 at £60 and just went "hahahahaha nope"

Automata is the better game anyway. Have fun with robots.