Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I only played Go because my cubical was within range of a Poke-stop so I could just load up on balls and gems while I worked.

So I failed at the GO part of Pokémon GO. gently caress walking.

I caught a Doduo on the toilet in my apartment, and a Caterpie in my bedroom. The field behind my apartment was a Pokéstop, and was a memorial in front of the shopping center I worked at at the time. I did so little going with that game that it was almost embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SiKboy posted:

The holocaust museum is one thing, but how would this have been different from going for a walk through the graveyard?

Maybe I'm just weird but catching weedles in a graveyard feels wrong to me

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Len posted:

Me too

Personally speaking, I think walks in the graveyard should be for the purpose of remembering/respecting the dead.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

I only played Go because my cubical was within range of a Poke-stop so I could just load up on balls and gems while I worked.

So I failed at the GO part of Pokémon GO. gently caress walking.

Most of my catches were on the train or bus

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

spog posted:

Me too

Personally speaking, I think walks in the graveyard should be for the purpose of remembering/respecting the dead.

Then playing Pokemon GO would be appropriate.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't really have a problem with Pokemon Go (which I've never played nor had a desire to play) itself, but I got really disgusted with Go players who tried to argue that they were perfectly justified in tromping through the Holocaust museum in search of a Pokemon. The game wasn't as bad as the fact that some of its players had no respect for their surroundings.

I visited a major church in a touristic city and since there was a lot of traffic and tourists everywhere, the most secluded cult-praying zones had a "no playing pokemon go here" line in their code of conduct. That didn't stop people from doing so.

Honestly, some places are not appropiate at all. I don't know if they could apply to Niantic for some "no pokemon here" zone status, but it'd at least dissuade some of those behaviours.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Jiru posted:

Honestly, some places are not appropiate at all. I don't know if they could apply to Niantic for some "no pokemon here" zone status, but it'd at least dissuade some of those behaviours.

I don't think you have to apply for that status at this point, everyone gets it free

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

SiKboy posted:

For clarity; I mean playing a game at the holocaust museum is obviously in bad taste, but playing it through a graveyard is surely not materially different from just taking a walk through the graveyard?

Some might see it as a little ghastly

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sir Lemming posted:

I don't think you have to apply for that status at this point, everyone gets it free

You can, actually. Keeps the last few die hards out of your space.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

re: pokégo, my brother and I went for an hour and a half walk to get some pokestops, complete two raids, take down a gym, and hatch eggs/catch stuff because they have an event going on. I play it really passively but sometimes we go for walks specifically for it. I used to go for a 30 minute walk every evening at our old apartment and get some exercise as well as play the game.

I also have never spent real money on it, only google survey rewards for some bag upgrades and stuff. we have about half a dozen gyms within a ten minute walk, and easy three times that in pokestops, so our area is pretty good for the game.

two of the gyms are around/behind a church and they had a little sign that welcomed 'augmented reality game players' and asked them to be mindful of the surroundings, in a nice area next to a cemetery. there was a stop somewhere within the cemetery but we thought that would be a little weird, so we just hung out in their little gazebo/bench/etc. area and took down the gym in the shade.

also I've never played a pokemon game prior to this :ssh: who care

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

spog posted:

gently caress that. I go to graveyards for the architecture and stonework.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I remember when people were joking about how Pokemon Go was making everyone go to church, because the initial PokeStop list was just lifted almost wholesale from Ingress and they allowed churches to be made portals.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The funniest thing about Pokemon Go was when people got really mad at Nintendo because some idiots got robbed when they went to parks and other isolated areas very late at night.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I think some states also put restrictions on the use of Pokémon go by sex offenders and had to issue public warnings that it could be used as bait by child predators.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I only played Pokémon Go one time, because I had Windows Phone during the height of the hype and recently bought an Android & wanted to see what the big deal was. Turns out it was nothing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

spog posted:

Nah, my memorial will include a bench for getting high and making out.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

it's fun when you have other people to walk with imo

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

Here Lies cakesmith handyman, Friend of goth kids everywhere.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Another great thing is that Nintendo's stock loving soared after Pokémon Go came out, and when Nintendo clarified that they had not made the game, just licensed the IP out, it went right back down to normal.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Personally I go to graveyards to laugh at the dead.

loving morons.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

If that is how you want to be remembered, I will respect your wishes.

(In this scenario, have you left behind a good-looking widow?)

A GODDAMN TYPO
Oct 22, 2008

Len posted:

It's a problem with Ingress, too. There were/are plenty of portals in/around graveyards, including a ton of user-submitted missions to go to various spots in the graveyards in order. Did it a few times, felt icky about it, especially when I realized there was a portal near my mom's grave.

(Which she would have found hilarious, but I realize a lot of other people wouldn't.)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

A GODDAMN TYPO posted:

(Which she would have found hilarious, but I realize a lot of other people wouldn't.)

good thing they're dead and can't care then

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

mandatory lesbian posted:

good thing they're dead and can't care then

Yeah, it's a good thing everyone related to anyone buried in a graveyard is also dead

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I play POGO but I won't go into graveyards. I also don't like that a bunch of churches are gyms, it doesn't seem respectful to trounce and park and chill for a raid in someone's church lot.

Why the gently caress there's any stops in a goddamn Holocaust memorial though, that isn't right.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I mean, isn't the ocean the biggest graveyard of them all? And people have the gall to swim and play in it. Won't someone think of the dead?

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Yeah, it's a good thing everyone related to anyone buried in a graveyard is also dead

smh if you're not planning to have your friends and family enclosed in your tomb when you die

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yeah, I play POGO but I won't go into graveyards. I also don't like that a bunch of churches are gyms, it doesn't seem respectful to trounce and park and chill for a raid in someone's church lot.

Why the gently caress there's any stops in a goddamn Holocaust memorial though, that isn't right.

The PokeStop list was lifted almost entirely from Ingress, Niantic's predecessor game which has similar gameplay (it's a sci-fi game where you try to capture portals by attacking them with disposable items and placing disposable "resonators" and defenses on the free portals to hold them). Portals in Ingress were based in the game's backstory on centers that were important for human culture, such as art installations, museums, churches, and landmarks. What ended up happening is that Niantic needed a list of PokeStops and Gyms, so they just imported the majority of their portal locations from their other game. This resulted in a fuckton of players hanging around awkward places like churches.

Niantic's early portal submission acceptance was also rather laissez-faire and the rules only specified that they had to be within their "human culture" guidelines and publicly accessible (nothing in someone's backyard or on a closed installation, for example), so the game has a ton of portals at questionable spots like interesting graveyard statues or Taco Bell murals. And eventually the number of portals became so huge that they just couldn't keep up, so they've been slowly trying to get through a massive backlog of submissions and deleting portals that are either for non-existent objects and locations or just plain bad.

When I played, a lot of portals were at the Orlando theme parks and consequently a lot of PokeStops. A good number of them ended up totally impossible to reach because they became situated inside active construction sites thanks to Disney's constant new projects, and there was one near my work that's impossible to reach from anywhere but the sidewalk because it's located inside a private business.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my main gym is called 'we've got big balls', referring to the giant red balls target uses for their bollards. this is probably not an important landmark

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

cinni posted:

Well I mean, isn't the ocean the biggest graveyard of them all? And people have the gall to swim and play in it. Won't someone think of the dead?

:ssh: People piss in it too.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The funniest thing about Pokemon Go was when people got really mad at Nintendo because some idiots got robbed when they went to parks and other isolated areas very late at night.

That and old people complaining about teenagers who keep walking near their house looking for pokemon.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So do fish, those uncultured swine.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You'd probably be harder pressed to find something humans didn't piss in.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Re: portal quality, about halfway between my town and the next closest is an intersection with a gas station that shares its space with a tiny lawn statue company, but is otherwise in a middle of nowhere country area. One of their driveways has small poles on either side so you don't drive off. One of these has a small stone lion atop it, about 8" by 4", barely noticable. But it's a pokestop, and whomever photographed it did it at this lovingly epic angle making it look like this massive thing to rival the lions outside the New York Public Library or something. It makes me laugh every time I see it now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

they shouldn't care either

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Are you autists really having that hard a time wrapping your heads around the fact that most people think you shouldn't treat a cemetery the same as a public park?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean, there's a church near me that's an actual gym now, and another which is offices. One is a Hindu temple. There's one which is a car garage. The first time you see someone selling used cars out of the ex-house of God, you lose a little reverence for them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Moon Slayer posted:

Are you autists really having that hard a time wrapping your heads around the fact that most people think you shouldn't treat a cemetery the same as a public park?

Great Green Public Spaces Right Under Our Noses: Cemeteries were once used like parks, which is beginning to happen again

Our First Public Parks: The Forgotten History of Cemeteries

In the Garden Cemetery: The Revival of America’s First Urban Parks

Cemeteries Alive: Graveyards are resurging as green spaces for the public

Playing Pokémon in cemeteries is simultaneously part of an old tradition and a hip new trend.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
also there's probably a bunch of places that used to be used as cemeteries, like maybe your house is built where they used to put corpses. there's a place in cardiff called litchfield, which means corpse field so either like a bunch of people died there or people were buried there and now there's houses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Use cemeteries for new housing and public parks. They are dead and taking up space.