Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's exactly the same as English basically only you take out the spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The idea of a bunch of lice sitting on a cooling corpse and wondering what's going on with their ride is making me weirdly sad. I guess a bunch of them would've gotten a second chance when someone stole their previous owner's hat.

MikeCrotch posted:

Is it the lice themselves that have scraped lines into people's skulls or just the fact that they would have been scratching like crazy 24/7

Neither, it's constant presence of inflamed bites. Something about the immune reaction eating (?) at the bone. It's not a mechanical wearing/scoring.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Seems pretty simple to me.

Mund - Mouth
schleim - mucus
haut -skin
entzündungen - inflammation

A lot of German words are just combining multiple words to describe something else. Baumwolle is cotton, for example, and the literally translation would be tree (baum) wool (wolle). Or the word Krankwagen (ambulance) which is Krank (sick) and Wagen (wagon/car/cart) combined.

Krankenwagen! It is for Kranke, sick people.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 24, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

The idea of a bunch of lice sitting on a cooling corpse and wondering what's going on with their ride is making me weirdly sad.
nah, they'd leave once the body gets cool enough and find a new human

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GAIL posted:

nah, they'd leave once the body gets cool enough and find a new human

Are they that mobile? That's mildly terrifying. I thought it was bedding/clothing/body contact only.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mechanized lice infantry.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Little halftracks full of lice driving them between people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looks like the Dunkirk Ruer is going to get his chance in the Great Bitcoin Wars.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

aphid_licker posted:

Are they that mobile? That's mildly terrifying. I thought it was bedding/clothing/body contact only.

No, they die in like a day without a human host. Literally one cure is just shave your head and just stay away from poo poo that touches your head for a few days.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

So don't wear the wigs and give the lice less places to live come on people

For the longest time, if you didn't wear something on your head, it meant something was wrong with you.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

For the longest time, if you didn't wear something on your head, it meant something was wrong with you.

yeah, lice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/NuclearAnthro/status/889348871876489217

Jesus christ

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
400 megatons, when you want to dig out a facility on the other side of the planet

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm solidly of the opinion that if our political leadership were to allow things to go nuclear, not only should they not have access to a 300Mt-proof bomb shelter, they should all get strapped to the roof of the capitol naked, to wait for the canned sunshine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrYenko posted:

I'm solidly of the opinion that if our political leadership were to allow things to go nuclear, not only should they not have access to a 300Mt-proof bomb shelter, they should all get strapped to the roof of the capitol naked, to wait for the canned sunshine.

I tried to see what it would look like on Nukemap but they're like "lol nothing over 100Mt you ridiculous knob".

DC getting shelled with 300Mt would really screw up Fallout 3.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

zoux posted:

DC getting shelled with 300Mt would really screw up Fallout 3.

Basically Bioshock.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MrYenko posted:

I always loved the excuse they gave for these as continuity of government.

Like anyone they find left on the surface wouldn't want to lynch these people the second the identify themselves as members of the government, let alone feel like listening to anything they have to say. You just got just about everyone on the planet killed and now you want to take the throne and rule over the ashes?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Ah, Venomsnake.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
ahhaha

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

where is the my little pony

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bewbies was right, colorization does bring the past to life.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Some Dunkirk questions:

Can someone explain to me how the reserve tanks on a Spitfire works? It seems to be something the pilot plays around with.

How realistic are the ship sinkings in that film? The ships depicted seem to list or sink very quickly (within a few minutes) after single Heinkel bomb hits or torpedo hits. Is that realistic?

What AA capability did they actually have on the beach? The film mostly depicts just people trying to fire upwards with rifles.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

Some Dunkirk questions:

Can someone explain to me how the reserve tanks on a Spitfire works? It seems to be something the pilot plays around with.

How realistic are the ship sinkings in that film? The ships depicted seem to list or sink very quickly (within a few minutes) after single Heinkel bomb hits or torpedo hits. Is that realistic?

What AA capability did they actually have on the beach? The film mostly depicts just people trying to fire upwards with rifles.

So your plane has drop tanks, main fuel tank, and reserve tanks (if/where/when applicable). Switching the lever basically changes which fuel tank the engine draws from.

Yes and no. A single bomb could sink a ship, and that ship could sink rather quickly, but it depends on what size bomb hits and where it hits. The type of ship also depends on how fast it might sink, due to the availability of counter-flooding, or what kind of compartmentalization exists within the ship.

If they had the supplies for it, they should've had some Bofors, possibly some French 25mm Hotchkiss AA guns, and other light AA guns. These probably wouldn't be directly seated on the beach. If they lacked ammo, might as well try to shoot at it/them with rifles.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mazz posted:

400 megatons, when you want to dig out a facility on the other side of the planet

Nuclear underground explosions tend to sometimes create nuclear volcanoes when the pressure was calculated wrong or if the bomb layers just had bad luck. So this works perfectly fine as long as you don't want to use that entire part of the continent the bunker was in. Of course if you can calmly walk over the ground where enemy facilities are hidden and then dig down to place a nuke, you already have won the war so why would yo do this?

Also apparently at some point above 40 megatons and far below 400 there comes the point where any non-underground nuclear explosion will disperse most of its energy uselessly into space, since our atmosphere is too small to contain it. That's not a solution either.

The good thing about this is, you don't need a fallout-shelter capable of withstanding 300-400 megaton warheads, a tenth is enough

Some text about nuclear warfare I've read ages ago basically pointed out our warhead-sizes are the way they are for psychological reasons, not military ones. No-one needs nukes that strong, a nation of smartasses could use their resources to just make ten times more warheads and every single bomb would have the same military effect as those oversized weirdo-bombs. Obviously this kind of reasoning would lead to them being used pretty shortly after that.

Luckily humans aren't logical, or WWIII would have happened already and we would be intelligent cockroaches talking poo poo about that stupid dead civilization around us. :v:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
My great uncle passed away a few months ago and I found this shell with some of his things when I was getting something of his from my grandma. Anyone know what it might be from? It's 3.9cm wide and ~10.5cm long. Absolutely no idea where he got it from.

edit: British 2-pounder?

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 24, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GwinnettPd/status/889530103771877376

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Not an accurate paint scheme 3/10

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Another disposable Nazi plane that just belly flops after firing like 500 rockets at something?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I hope the pilot was dressed up like Rudolf Hess.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Some Dunkirk questions:

I'm about to nerd out on this hardcore; I can't look this up at present but I don't think that the Spit I had a "reserve tank" as such. It had two (maybe 3?) separate tanks that basically all drained into one tank, and as far as I know the pilot didn't have to switch between them. So, that is probably an anachronism put in there for drama's sake. Other planes did have reserve tanks, they were "reserve" because they usually didn't have proper pumps and thus were gravity fed and thus you couldn't do much maneuvering on your reserve tank. It was there just to get you home, straight and level.

As for the ship thing I'm no expert on ships sinking but my general impression from reading The Internet is that in both movies and video games they tend to speed up the process of a ship sinking a whole drat lot. Like, the damage to Titanic was unbelievably bad and it still took hours to sink. Lusitania was a confluence of about ten different bad factors and it still took 20 minutes or something.

I'm about 90% sure that's one of Erich Hartmann's paint schemes. So the guy is almost certainly a nerd, but may not be a nazi.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 24, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

my kinda ape posted:

My great uncle passed away a few months ago and I found this shell with some of his things when I was getting something of his from my grandma. Anyone know what it might be from? It's 3.9cm wide and ~10.5cm long. Absolutely no idea where he got it from.

edit: British 2-pounder?

How much does it weigh? It's probably 2-poinder or Bofors ammunition.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Saw Dunkirk this weekend, and I thought it was pretty good! As others have pointed out, it's quite "zoomed in" to its characters' experiences, so there are large parts of the evacuation story absent. The film title actually strikes me as a bit too general, considering how focused it is. Also, Christopher Nolan is apparently a really, really, REALLY big fan of the RAF. That's not a bad thing, but he lays it on pretty thick. With Tom Hardy on the job, you can't help but wonder how the Luftwaffe had any planes left. Still, the fighter combat is very well shot and edited, and I was ultimately able to forgive the exaggeration, at least as far as enjoyability is concerned.

I do wish the French side of things had gotten more exposure, just because I feel like the French armed forces never receive their due when it comes to the Battle of France. That wasn't really in the scope of the movie, although near the very beginning you do see some French soldiers holding the line, which was a nice (if comparatively tacit) nod. Where the film really shines is in conveying the sheer emotional weight of the situation. It provides a thoughtful and humane look at how people behave during times of great uncertainty and desperation, and I thought it was very effective. Nolan's movies have been hit-or-miss for me, but this was a solid hit.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Nuclear underground explosions tend to sometimes create nuclear volcanoes when the pressure was calculated wrong or if the bomb layers just had bad luck. So this works perfectly fine as long as you don't want to use that entire part of the continent the bunker was in. Of course if you can calmly walk over the ground where enemy facilities are hidden and then dig down to place a nuke, you already have won the war so why would yo do this?

Also apparently at some point above 40 megatons and far below 400 there comes the point where any non-underground nuclear explosion will disperse most of its energy uselessly into space, since our atmosphere is too small to contain it. That's not a solution either.

The good thing about this is, you don't need a fallout-shelter capable of withstanding 300-400 megaton warheads, a tenth is enough

Some text about nuclear warfare I've read ages ago basically pointed out our warhead-sizes are the way they are for psychological reasons, not military ones. No-one needs nukes that strong, a nation of smartasses could use their resources to just make ten times more warheads and every single bomb would have the same military effect as those oversized weirdo-bombs. Obviously this kind of reasoning would lead to them being used pretty shortly after that.

Luckily humans aren't logical, or WWIII would have happened already and we would be intelligent cockroaches talking poo poo about that stupid dead civilization around us. :v:

I believe it was Teller who suggested building a bomb so overwhelmingly large and destructive (It may also have been lined with extra radioactive bits), that you could just put the drat thing anywhere and it would be a doomsday weapon essentially. Anywhere it blew up would destroy the world, or at least cause casualties on a megadeath scale where it would be so bad as to avoid a war.

Edit: It was Teller. He proposed a 10 Gigaton bomb. http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2012/09/12/in-search-of-a-bigger-boom/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That certainly sounds like Teller. He was like nega-Oppenheimer.

I've wondered though if MAD did mean we had a much less violent latter half of the 20th. I'm surely aware of the millions in lost lives from proxy wars between the superpowers, but wouldn't a full-on NATO/WP war have killed many more? Without the threat of doomsday over their heads, how likely was a conventional WWIII?

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 24, 2017

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

I believe it was Teller who suggested building a bomb so overwhelmingly large and destructive (It may also have been lined with extra radioactive bits), that you could just put the drat thing anywhere and it would be a doomsday weapon essentially. Anywhere it blew up would destroy the world, or at least cause casualties on a megadeath scale where it would be so bad as to avoid a war.

Edit: It was Teller. He proposed a 10 Gigaton bomb. http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2012/09/12/in-search-of-a-bigger-boom/

So, Dr Strangelove?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Libluini posted:

I don't know why you're talking about this like it's a hypothetical - MIRVs have been the standard ICBM payload since the 1970s. Tsar Bomba has long been known to be impracticable.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

zoux posted:

That certainly sounds like Teller. He was like nega-Oppenheimer.

I've wondered though if MAD did mean we had a much less violent latter half of the 20th. I'm surely aware of the millions in lost lives from proxy wars between the superpowers, but wouldn't a full-on NATO/WP war have killed many more? Without the threat of doomsday over their heads, how likely was a conventional WWIII?

For the proxy wars, this is the best I can find with a few minutes' lazy searching:

quote:

Don’t take this too seriously; it’s not at all rigorous.

USA-USSR proxy wars, using this list:

Greek Civil War (158,000)
First Indochina War (125,000–400,000)
Malayan Emergency (11,000)
Korean War (2,500,000)
Suez Crisis (3,850–5,000)
Southeast Asian wars (1,102,000–3,890,000)
Guatemalan Civil War (140,000–200,000)
Congo Crisis (100,000–200,000)
Bay of Pigs (4,300)
Indo-Pakistani War (13,000)
Angolan Civil War (507,000–527,000)
War in Afghanistan (957,000–1,623,000)
Ogaden War (13,000)
Total: 5,621,150–9,544,300 (the lower bound doesn’t count the Indo-Pakistani war; I’m not sure why it’s included)
https://nithgrim.wordpress.com/2014/07/10/death-toll-of-the-cold-war-a-rough-estimate/

GotLag fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 24, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
basic bitch question I could potentially answer from reading wiki but gently caress that: what were the implications of Dunkirk, were the troop numbers essential to the war effort ahead? If the evactuation failed how would things have differed?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

zoux posted:

Difficult to say, especially with Stalin in charge of Eastern Europe. The Soviets had overwhelming strength compared to the United States post World War 2 in Europe, and it was estimated that in the late '40s the Red Army could have completed a conquest of the continetal bit of Western Europe in about 30 days?

The fear of conventional war I'd say was a strongly restraining power in the early days, what with have the Soviet Union burned to the ground and everyone tired of war. I think without nukes the real danger would have been one side or the other seeing a chance to prune back the enemy starting a intercontinental war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hadn't the Soviets already run out of men by the end of the war?