Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Norns posted:

I don't think Porsche would pull out of WEC for Formula E. They already have Audi.

I have now heard "Porsche to F1" rumors from several people who are well-placed to know. Probably just as an engine supplier though.

Speaking of Formula E, here's 4,500 words on the NYC race: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/07/racing-comes-to-the-big-apple-the-new-york-city-eprix/

(Includes some Allan McNish and plenty of Lucas Di Grassi.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Big news for Formula E (maybe, season 6 would be 2020), DTM might be in trouble.

https://twitter.com/LukeSmithF1/status/889554687246118912

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That's bad for DTM

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
DTM nooooooooo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

Big news for Formula E (maybe, season 6 would be 2020), DTM might be in trouble.

https://twitter.com/LukeSmithF1/status/889554687246118912

RIP DTM

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
If people haven't already realized it, Formula E is a legit series. Best to start following it now if you haven't already.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WindyMan posted:

If people haven't already realized it, Formula E is a legit series. Best to start following it now if you haven't already.

People have been saying it's legit since the first season, the first race even had intense battles through the entire thing, right down to the finish line. That loving wreck at the finish line in the Beijing ePrix. Ever so slightly a different impact and Nick Heidfeld would have likely died.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 24, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

once they stop the car swapping and get better tracks, i might watch

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

orange juche posted:

People have been saying it's legit since the first season, the first race even had intense battles through the entire thing, right down to the finish line.

Yeah, but there are still a lot of people that complain about the series being second rate for lots of different reasons. Kind of hard for those views to be justified when top manufacturers are tripping over each other to get into it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Really, the only thing second rate about the series at this point is the drivers.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

:smith:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

WindyMan posted:

Which would be good because then more people would read the thousands of words I've been writing about how it's a legit series for three years now ;)

It was really gratifying to see racing veterans crack a wide smile a few laps into Saturday's race once they realized it was proper racing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I managed to convince my old man Formula E is a real series a while back, and he hates electric anything. If the racing can convince an old codger who longs for the days of V12 Formula cars, it's legit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

The car-swapping is probably the biggest drawback at this point (though if I remember right they're ending that next season). The tracks are a bit of a sticky point because they want to setup tracks with minimal impact to the surrounding area's traffic, which means A. tracks at airports, B. purpose built road courses, or C. support another series (Monaco/Long Beach). The real problem I feel right now is what tracks they do are really short compared to the tracks other series use (they use a neutered version of Monaco).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

iospace posted:

The car-swapping is probably the biggest drawback at this point (though if I remember right they're ending that next season). The tracks are a bit of a sticky point because they want to setup tracks with minimal impact to the surrounding area's traffic, which means A. tracks at airports, B. purpose built road courses, or C. support another series (Monaco/Long Beach). The real problem I feel right now is what tracks they do are really short compared to the tracks other series use (they use a neutered version of Monaco).

The Monaco and LB races were actually two weeks before the main race weekend, so they weren't really supports series. LB is done, and Monaco is only every other year because it alternates with the historic races, but I have it on good authority from more than one person that when the series goes back there in 2018 with the new car they will run the full circuit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

iospace posted:

They're also hanging their identity a lot on being entirely on street tracks, which runs very hollow sometimes, especially when they go to Mexico and its just a straight up normal racetrack. The track length is definitely a problem, as the series speeds up they're outgrowing a lot of older track designs that are becoming sub-minute tracks. That they haven't officially adopted the Formulino E car design as an official feeder series yet is disappointing though because that car looks pretty nice.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

njsykora posted:

They're also hanging their identity a lot on being entirely on street tracks, which runs very hollow sometimes, especially when they go to Mexico and its just a straight up normal racetrack. The track length is definitely a problem, as the series speeds up they're outgrowing a lot of older track designs that are becoming sub-minute tracks. That they haven't officially adopted the Formulino E car design as an official feeder series yet is disappointing though because that car looks pretty nice.

McNish discussed the dilemma of cars getting too fast for the tracks a bit in my piece.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I remember Radio LeMans' Midweek Motorsports describing DTM as a commitment that none of the three manufacturers wanted to continue, but all three were afraid to be "the bad guy" and pull out. Wouldn't be surprised if it collapses UNLESS one of the Japanese makes steps in to replace Mercedes (and I would bet on that being Toyota/Lexus first, but no clue if they'd actually do it). Especially since, unlike Super GT, DTM is a pure marketing exercise.

I'm not terribly surprised Formula E is flourishing so much because it has to be a much, much cheaper series to enter and run in than others (probably $10 million a year or less for the team budget, which is more IndyCar budget than F1) and, unlike DTM, actually supports the company's electric push, both in marketing and engineering.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

harperdc posted:

I'm not terribly surprised Formula E is flourishing so much because it has to be a much, much cheaper series to enter and run in than others (probably $10 million a year or less for the team budget, which is more IndyCar budget than F1) and, unlike DTM, actually supports the company's electric push, both in marketing and engineering.

Formula E budgets are going to skyrocket in 5 years; the only reason they were so cheap up to now is because everything but the actual powertrain was spec (and the powertrain was heavily regulated). If Merc is coming in, with BMW confirmed as being in and with Audi taking over Abt and making it a genuinely works team, the spec elements are going to die a painful death.

iospace posted:

The car-swapping is probably the biggest drawback at this point (though if I remember right they're ending that next season).

They're allowing development on the batteries and ending the car swapping for the next season.

Cygni posted:

So they stop the car swapping next year, but the battery tech probably has a way to go until they can do "normal" tracks and race distances. Watch some of the youtube highlights/full race uploads that they put up next year. The racing is surprisingly decent.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 25, 2017

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
RIP Formula E.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Schlesische posted:

Formula E budgets are going to skyrocket in 5 years; the only reason they were so cheap up to now is because everything but the actual powertrain was spec (and the powertrain was heavily regulated). If Merc is coming in (with BMW following if rumours and my memory for them serve) then the spec element of the series is about to die a painful death.

They're allowing development on the batteries and ending the car swapping for the next season.

The powertrain isn't fully spec, much of that other than the motor is open hence why there's a fairly large difference between the gearing setup of many cars (some still running standard 5 gear setups and others just using 1). Batteries also aren't going to be an area for development for teams any time soon as production of those is on a long term contract for McLaren. The question regarding ending car swapping has mostly been do you eliminate the need for a pitstop completely, allow hotswapping batteries or use some kind of quick charging system. All 3 have advantages regarding electric car development and it's going to be interesting which one they go with.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

njsykora posted:

The powertrain isn't fully spec, much of that other than the motor is open hence why there's a fairly large difference between the gearing setup of many cars (some still running standard 5 gear setups and others just using 1). Batteries also aren't going to be an area for development for teams any time soon as production of those is on a long term contract for McLaren. The question regarding ending car swapping has mostly been do you eliminate the need for a pitstop completely, allow hotswapping batteries or use some kind of quick charging system. All 3 have advantages regarding electric car development and it's going to be interesting which one they go with.

Wow I was off the mark. Thanks.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

njsykora posted:

We already know where that's going. The season 5 car will have a 56kWh battery. The teams and other stakeholders have just started discussing the next car, due in season 8. I would expect we'll see the gearbox-and-one-mgu rule get ditched. Whether that means front and rear MGUs, or even the possibility visual motors per-wheel it's too soon to know but those kinds of things are being discussed.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

From the beginning of Formula E I've wondered if or when Tesla might want to jump in as a manufacturer or a technology partner. If the brand sees itself competing with the luxury/technology set of Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, they should surely be noticing that all of them are in Formula E now. Tesla has a big head start on electric vehicle and battery tech, but if everyone else is tinkering and pushing one another in FE then I think that advantage would get cut into pretty fast.

njsykora posted:

The question regarding ending car swapping has mostly been do you eliminate the need for a pitstop completely, allow hotswapping batteries or use some kind of quick charging system. All 3 have advantages regarding electric car development and it's going to be interesting which one they go with.

Tesla designs their cars for the batteries to be swappable in minutes. That kind of application would be cool to see hyperspeed in a racing environment. Although a "fueler" attaching a hose full of electricity to "refuel" would be pretty sweet as well.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WindyMan posted:

From the beginning of Formula E I've wondered if or when Tesla might want to jump in as a manufacturer or a technology partner. If the brand sees itself competing with the luxury/technology set of Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, they should surely be noticing that all of them are in Formula E now. Tesla has a big head start on electric vehicle and battery tech, but if everyone else is tinkering and pushing one another in FE then I think that advantage would get cut into pretty fast.

Tesla designs their cars for the batteries to be swappable in minutes. That kind of application would be cool to see hyperspeed in a racing environment. Although a "fueler" attaching a hose full of electricity to "refuel" would be pretty sweet as well.

The amount of current required for a race speed recharge of an electric vehicle battery would overload the powergrid of an entire continent, it's literally a case of "Physics says get hosed". Fast swap batteries is probably the closest thing you're going to get, or a large uptick in capacity negating the need for a car swap/pitstop entirely.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Or it would be like F1 where they only pit for tires

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

WindyMan posted:

A: Tesla has repeatedly told me that it has absolutely no interest in racing. It doesn't care about Formula E, it doesn't care about the guy who races a Model S at Pikes Peak, or the Electric GT series. None of it. Don't get your hopes up.

B: even Tesla has given up on the hot-swappable batteries. The only company seriously pursuing it is Nio with the EP9.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

B: even Tesla has given up on the hot-swappable batteries. The only company seriously pursuing it is Nio with the EP9.

I don't think it's the best use for current passenger cars but other applications? Could work. But that's for another time.

I think they'll still have to work their race lengths around a single charge, but hopefully can end the car swapping soon. Fast charging would be awesome to see but that won't allow for F1 style lighting-fast stops quite yet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kilonum posted:

Or it would be like F1 where they only pit for tires

This won't happen as long as the sustainability angle of the series promotion exists. The current tires are thinner and grooved supposedly because they use less rubber to make (that skinny grooved tires mean less grip and less grip means more crashes and fun youtube highlights is a total coincidence I'm sure) and I think teams only get 3-4 sets for a weekend. The other major thing I think needs changing is the need of drivers to conserve power, if this is truly going to lead to people liking electric cars more they need to be able to go balls out maximum attack for the full 45 minutes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VFR dropping the (now dead) Riley, switching to Ligier.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/142555-visit-florida-trades-riley-for-ligier

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I wonder if Joest is going to tell Mazda to drop the Riley chassis if they want to win? Considering Riley doesn't know how to build a carbon fiber prototype and all.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

orange juche posted:

I wonder if Joest is going to tell Mazda to drop the Riley chassis if they want to win? Considering Riley doesn't know how to build a carbon fiber prototype and all.

They apparently aren't allowed to change the chassis they homolgated with until after the 2019 season.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hoo boy, well I hope Joest can work a loving miracle then, but there's always the possibility that the Riley is just too much of a boat anchor to work with.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

harperdc posted:

I don't think it's the best use for current passenger cars but other applications? Could work. But that's for another time.

I think they'll still have to work their race lengths around a single charge, but hopefully can end the car swapping soon. Fast charging would be awesome to see but that won't allow for F1 style lighting-fast stops quite yet.

So, McNish's answer to that was "if we make the cars faster we can't race on the same circuits because we need more runoff etc". The answer will be cars that still top out at 140mph but which have even better acceleration.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If making the cars faster means moving tracks I'd rather they move tracks to be honest. Right now the street tracks aren't exactly inspiring and putting the races on an actual racetrack would send the message that electric cars belong on a racetrack. It's also extremely limiting to building any kind of support bill.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I thought everyone just kind of assumed the cars would outgrow the tracks as the tech improved?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Norns posted:

I thought everyone just kind of assumed the cars would outgrow the tracks as the tech improved?

No, they don't want to lose the aspect of racing in city centers. McNish (who is Audi's director of Formula E now) explained it thus:

quote:

"We have this balance: are we purely an R&D facility, are we a sport, are we entertainment, are we all of the above? We are all of the above, so there's some things we'll want to do but some things we'll decide as a group might fit for road car development but not for Formula E.

We've got a question mark about when we get more power, where do we want it: more top speed or more acceleration? For a road car you want acceleration, because unless you're in Germany you've got a limitation on the road because the police come and say hello. So I think acceleration is the thing we want. The other thing is if you want a very high top speed you need bigger run off areas, which means the circuit isn't the circuit we're in now. The cost goes up, the track potentially can't race in that city any longer, and so on. These are all the things we're discussing because it's an embryonic championship. We're coming in with a lot of experience from other championships and kinds of racing and trying to bring it together into something that works for us all. That's one thing I've found quite positive about this is we have manufacturers discussions where people try and come to a common agreement for the sport.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/07/racing-comes-to-the-big-apple-the-new-york-city-eprix/

Di Grassi did make a point about the cars technically being able to run the Nordschleife, but then you'd only get 4 laps to a race.

And if FE is going to be about improving road EVs, then the focus on acceleration and not top speed makes sense. But we should have the full Monaco track in 2018. Singapore is an outside chance but I doubt it'll happen.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah but they have to manage that transition. The FIA isn't going to to let them go with 1000hp on these dinky street circuits, so they need to decide to graduate to big boy tracks or hold onto a hard power cap.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I watch 4 laps of formula e on the nordschleife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Norns posted:

I watch 4 laps of formula e on the nordschleife

yeah i would rather watch that than what theyve been doing, that sounds cool and good

• Locked thread