Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Concerned Citizen posted:

well 1. it would be a surprise if construction hit parity with "all industries" given it's a blue collar job and 2. the growth is uneven, not everywhere has a job shortage so the overall national raises are only 2% higher than the broader economy

You're single-handedly making this D&D with your bad data and even worse opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

call to action posted:

Are you loving retarded? It was outpacing all industries IN THE GRAPH YOU QUOTED until 2012!!

during one of the most outrageous housing bubbles ever

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

docbeard posted:

These are the days of miracle and wonder and don't cry, baby, don't cry, don't cry

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

well 1. it would be a surprise if construction hit parity with "all industries" given it's a blue collar job and 2. the growth is uneven, not everywhere has a job shortage so the overall national raises are only 2% higher than the broader economy. in some places the rate is of wage increase is double digits and others it is zero. more importantly the shortage is recent and will accelerate in the short term, as the article notes:

what does blue collar job have to do with wage growth CC? do you believe the white collar should be allowed to grow richer and richer than blue collar workers?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

during one of the most outrageous housing bubbles ever

So you're saying that wages increase when supply is tight, and wages are lower now because there's no labor shortage. Glad you came around.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

construction huh? if only we had a way to produce more construction jobs? like some sort of administration for work projects 🤔

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
whoa at CC pulling an Al! (or was it Al!??? i forgot)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Agean90 posted:

construction huh? if only we had a way to produce more construction jobs? like some sort of administration for work projects 🤔

roads straight into hell (iowa)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm actually kind of shocked no one in my Facebook feed has said a single word about the new platform, either for or against from either direction

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

loquacius posted:

I'm actually kind of shocked no one in my Facebook feed has said a single word about the new platform, either for or against from either direction

the dems are so worthless very few people have probably even heard of this revolutionary better deal

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

logikv9 posted:

roads straight into hell (iowa)

but roads also leading out!!!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I tweeted at schumer that his #betterdeal is a wet fart. Eat poo poo crusty olds I'm a heckraiser speaking truth to power

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

loquacius posted:

I'm not convinced a single person who doesn't read this thread is aware it exists.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

"better deal? wasn't that when the democrats were going into pizza delivery?"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Agean90 posted:

but roads also leading out!!!

the only cars allowed out are hearses

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

logikv9 posted:

the only cars allowed out are hearses

all American made too so we stimulate the automotive industry as well.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i got a jobs proposal. employ all the useless millenials towards developing self-driving hearses, so when a boomer dies s/he can continue to kill millenials with their sleek vehicular frame for all eternity

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I tweeted at schumer that his #betterdeal is a wet fart. Eat poo poo crusty olds I'm a heckraiser speaking truth to power

:yeah:

never believe his lies

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
better skills, better wages, comet ping pong

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

loquacius posted:

have the Dems even revealed it anywhere outside of WaPo and NYT op-eds?

it seemed like they were supposed to be announcing it at some kind of event or something, but I haven't seen a thing about that

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

call to action posted:

"Every Man a King" is a highly problematic phrase because it acknowledges and thus endorses the notion of power dynamics ("king" vs "ruled"), a topic that is inherently gendered and thus sexual

Macron America great again

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

what does blue collar job have to do with wage growth CC? do you believe the white collar should be allowed to grow richer and richer than blue collar workers?

well it's not wage growth, it's average wages. blue collar work tends to pay less than white collar work. that is not a value statement as to which should pay better. construction work isn't bad but it generally pays worse than salaried work.

call to action posted:

So you're saying that wages increase when supply is tight, and wages are lower now because there's no labor shortage. Glad you came around.

again from nahb:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

what's the point of a staggered news release when you build no hype? aren't the dems regularly interacting with people who are paid megamillions to figure this poo poo out?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

well it's not wage growth, it's average wages. blue collar work tends to pay less than white collar work. that is not a value statement as to which should pay better. construction work isn't bad but it generally pays worse than salaried work.

again from nahb:

if their wages are lower than normal and don't seem to be overtaking average wages at all, how is this a high-growth field according to you?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kentucky is about to be the first state with no abortion clinics

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Condiv posted:

what's the point of a staggered news release when you build no hype? aren't the dems regularly interacting with people who are paid megamillions to figure this poo poo out?

if you give people something new to hate every day, they'll forget what they hated the day before

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

if their wages are lower than normal and don't seem to be overtaking average wages at all, how is this a high-growth field according to you?

in fact, wage growth is higher than the economy at large and in some places (texas, georgia) it is 30%+. in particular among skilled labor there is a shortage that will likely grow as home construction continues to accelerate.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Condiv posted:

the dems are so worthless very few people have probably even heard of this revolutionary better deal

This.

Maybe if Bernie did, it might get some press but no one other than the die hard dems give a poo poo about what Chuck Schumer has to say.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Oh Snapple! posted:

if you give people something new to hate every day, they'll forget what they hated the day before

but they're just giving themselves every day :confused:

in fact, wage growth is higher than the economy at large and in some places (texas, georgia) it is 30%+. in particular among skilled labor there is a shortage that will likely grow as home construction continues to accelerate.

so it's growing some in some areas, but there is nowhere near high growth in the field since wages on the whole are still way depressed.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Frijolero posted:

"Sens. Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders are prominent but cancel one another out somewhat as they both seek to be the leader of the liberal wing of the party."

lol

only the finest political analysis from cillizza

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Construction is one of the most dangerous jobs there is in regards to accidents and just general health impact because it is outdoors and physically taxing, requires high levels of skill, and doesn't pay as well as it should because it's "blue collar."

Is the problem here really lack of access to training? It still sounds to me like the problem is the wages, even if they are rising.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

loquacius posted:

Who the hell believes those retards are going to win anything in 2018 or 2020? this is now a one party state lmao

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

if there was a shortage of workers, businesses would be willing to train them themselves regardless of tax cuts

but to get to that state would mean wages would rise, and dems would hate that!!!

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
it is your duty as an american to vote all republican in 2020. let's make trump blow kamala harris the gently caress out!!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Chuck Schumer has always firmly supported government-sponsored construction of illegal settlements in the West Bank

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
No people are totally going to "train" the migrant laborers/slaves that are used to build most residential construction projects, trust us

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Strong wind destroy our home
Many dead, tonight it could be you

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
has this atrocity been posted here

https://twitter.com/joss/status/888836492696723457/photo/1

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Construction is one of the most dangerous jobs there is, requires high levels of skill, and doesn't pay as well as it should because it's "blue collar."

Is the problem here really lack of access to training? It still sounds to me like the problem is the wages, even if they are rising.

well it's both. obviously we need to raise the minimum wage and make sure people are getting paid what they are worth. but as far as this goes, the reality is that one big obstacle to class mobility is the lack of access to economically viable training. if a person wants to learn a skill without such a program, they have to pay for their own education which is not a viable option for many unemployed. the commodification of education has hit the working class hard. subsidized apprenticeships/on-the-job training is a popular approach because it's ideal for the worker and employer - the worker gets paid to learn a new trade, the employer gets additional workers without having to pay for the risk of the employee not working out. in the perfect world, anyone who wanted to change their career could, at the drop of a hat, switch and get guaranteed pay while learning new skills. that's not realistic but a step toward that will help prevent people from getting trapped in dead-end jobs.

it's hardly something that solves every problem and it should be only one part of a much broader stimulus program, but it's not a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

you know beetle killed forest is a massive problem in the us. if only there was a massive federal push for conservation programs to contain or burn out afflicted areas like some sort of civilian run conservation corp

• Locked thread