Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Concerned Citizen posted:

i mean they are actually proposing creating an agency with the ability to fine drugmakers who raise prices to gouge consumers.

:jerkbag:

Our agencies are garbo and there's 100% chance that said agency would end up being staffed by Pharma vultures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

yes it would be pretty silly to rely on their word, which is why the agency is proposed to have investigative powers

*fines a mutil billion dollar company what they make in 2 hours*

CORY BOOKER 2020

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

yes it would be pretty silly to rely on their word, which is why the agency is proposed to have investigative powers

medicare for all

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

are they? the bit that got posted earlier said nothing about actually being able to fine drugmakers - it just said their justification statements would be published publicly so that consumers could shame or pressure drugmakers into lowering prices

yes

quote:

Tough New Enforcement of Drug Price Gouging: Prescription drugs that meet a test for an
unconscionable price increase will be subject to new investigative and enforcement action by a
new “price gouging” enforcer. This position will be independent and confirmable by the U.S.
Senate. The enforcer will be created as the Director of a new agency dedicated to stopping this
outrageous behavior in its tracks. The agency will also receive its own funding stream to
preserve its independence from political influence.
The enforcer will be charged with investigating drug manufacturers and protecting patients and
taxpayers from egregious prescription drug price increases. The agency will identify drugs that
have unconscionable price increases and impose fines on the manufacturer that are proportional
to the size of the price hike, reinvesting the money from the fines into new cures research and
development at the National Institutes of Health. This new enforcement mechanism, which does
not exist today, will deter abusive drug price increases.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Sojuz njerushimyy rjespublik svobodnykh

Splotila navjeki Vjelikaja Rus’.

Da zdravstvujet sozdannyy voljej narodov

Yedinyy, moguchij Sovyetskij Sojuz!

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the dark secret of the Dems 2018 platform is that none of it will ever matter because trump will veto anything that comes through a dem house, short (possibly) of causing a default

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I got some video footage of how that agency is going to work

https://youtu.be/lsuJj-lKyoo

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

new dem foreign policy: American puppet government in Afghanistan

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

Tough New Enforcement of Drug Price Gouging: Prescription drugs that meet a test for an
unconscionable price increase will be subject to new investigative and enforcement action by a
new “price gouging” enforcer. This position will be independent and confirmable by the U.S.
Senate. The enforcer will be created as the Director of a new agency dedicated to stopping this
outrageous behavior in its tracks. The agency will also receive its own funding stream to
preserve its independence from political influence.
The enforcer will be charged with investigating drug manufacturers and protecting patients and
taxpayers from egregious prescription drug price increases. The agency will identify drugs that
have unconscionable price increases and impose fines on the manufacturer that are proportional
to the size of the price hike, reinvesting the money from the fines into new cures research and
development at the National Institutes of Health. This new enforcement mechanism, which does
not exist today, will deter abusive drug price increases.

NO, MEDICARE FOR ALL, OKAY?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
anything to do with "taxes" or "investing" is a DOA plan, hth cc

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Fallen Hamprince posted:

zbigniew brzezinski is dead. long live zbigniew brzezinski

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Someone needs to do that Mexican guy laughing meme thing with the democratic platform and the third thing he breaks down laughing about is the questionnaire thing.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

anything to do with "taxes" or "investing" is a DOA plan, hth cc

you're a DOA plan

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

new?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

oh, okay

the only bit that got posted earlier was this one

quote:

Drugs with a significant price increase will
also be required to submit to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) a
justification for the price increase at least 30 days before the price increase takes effect. A drug
with a significant price increase would be defined as:
1. A drug that is at least $10 and had a price increase of at least 300 percent over five
years or 100 percent over one year; or
2. A drug that represents the top 50th percentile of drug spending in Medicare or
Medicaid and had a price increase of at least 50 percent over five years or 15 percent
over one year.
The justification would include individual factors that contributed to the price increase, as well
as other factors that could include the percent of total expenditures on research and development
derived from federal funds and the total cost of marketing and advertising the specific drug. This
information would be made public in order to hold drug manufacturers accountable for any
unjustifiable price increases
. Drug manufacturers could avoid submitting this information if they
lower the price of the drug.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dems literally had an ugly, spoiled, criminal brat as a poster-boy for bad Pharma pricing and did gently caress-all with it. Thanks Obama!

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

a corporate statement on practically any subject is the most non-specific document in the world.

and cc expects us to take a pharma company's word that a drug is more expensive because reasons that didn't make the news like a factory burning down

never mind that a business without insurance for their property or the adequate safety measures to prevent a fire (as i'm sure would be part of the regulatory process of obtaining a permit for the construction of the place in the first place) would have several other problems going on asides from having to jack up the price of their drugs.

it really begs the question of how cc can be taken seriously as an expert on anything other than how to give a baddem's taint a tongue-bath.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
i hope shkreli dies soon

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ok, who's the idiot who said we need to buy a boat instead of factory burned down?!?!

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GalacticAcid posted:

i hope shkreli dies soon

i can't wait for my death, if only for the reason that obesity is the slowest, most socially-acceptable form of suicide in america.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Frijolero posted:

Dems literally had an ugly, spoiled, criminal brat as a poster-boy for bad Pharma pricing and did gently caress-all with it. Thanks Obama!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

somebody was asking who else knows about this, well my dad watches MSNBC all the time, and he says they've been covering Jared non-stop.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Venom Snake posted:

Theres a new string of fundraisers coming up and I'm going to take the opportunity to poke the brains of the donor class a bit more.

unless you're going to do it with an icepick, who loving gives a poo poo

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

nobody cares about non-presidential platforms, republicans won 2010 by screaming OBAMACARE WILL KILL UR FAMILY over and over again, not because of whatever they planned to do with the estate tax

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Frijolero posted:

the problem is that they don't want to attack pharma pricing as a whole, they just want to prevent price increases from being so huge and so obviously unnecessary that they call down public scrutiny on the industry as a whole

even now, they're not talking about bringing down current drug prices or undoing previous years worth of price increases, they're just talking about containing future growth and preventing blatant gouging

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
republicans won because all of their voters show up to every election

hth

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Agean90 posted:

hmm let's see, we need skill so why don't we take the economically listless youth of this country provide training and wages that are initially above market average and offer them jobs that are ideally suited for people in good physical shape and not tied down by family??? nah too radical

This is a really good idea, there's so much beetle kill that needs to be downed and dragged out of the forest.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Main Paineframe posted:

the problem is that they don't want to attack pharma pricing as a whole, they just want to prevent price increases from being so huge and so obviously unnecessary that they call down public scrutiny on the industry as a whole

even now, they're not talking about bringing down current drug prices or undoing previous years worth of price increases, they're just talking about containing future growth and preventing blatant gouging

and their definition of possible gouging is 4x price increase over 5 years

:lol:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

call to action posted:

This is a really good idea, there's so much beetle kill that needs to be downed and dragged out of the forest.

best part is I brought up literally that same idea during one of my previous shitposts lol

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lmbo

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Frijolero posted:

There are SOOO many simple policy points that Dems could be hogging right now:

- Amazon wants to gobble everything up? Tax the ever-living gently caress out of them
- Pharma wants to raise prices? Price controls, freeze prices, nationalize the poo poo
- WALMART IS COMMITTING WAGE THEFT, GUILOTINE THE loving WALTONS YOU MORONS
As a former employee of that family I thought the sentiment was not right

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

like im not throwing shade, these are major problems amd a govment work program would not obly bring economic benefits it would restore confidence in the government.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'm glad hamprince is finally here to convince us this lovely better deal is actually good

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol Republican super-majority 2019.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nonsense posted:

lol Republican super-majority 2019.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
if the gop gets control of another state legislature they can change the constitution at will lol

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

if the gop gets control of another state legislature they can change the constitution at will lol

2/3 not 3/4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
oh boy i love truck systems!

• Locked thread