Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I would love seeing a HITB on Girl Trip, something that noone in the RLM audience would likely ever watch.

It'd be more interesting seeing what they liked or didn't like about that than yet another comic book or sci fi extravaganza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Their review of Baby Driver got me to go see it and it was a pretty great watch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spider-Man Homecumming was better than Baby Driver

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Spider-Man Homecumming was better than Baby Driver

Was it better than the Israeli occupation of Palestine?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So Jay, would you recommend the Third Intifada?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i dipped into the cd thread about justice league and the op is a delight.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

i dipped into the cd thread about justice league and the op is a delight.

Please quote it here because I dare not tread in such an unholy place.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the sacrifices i make for my friends...

insane person posted:

This movie has a lot of pressure on it. Despite Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice being great, some idiots didn't like it. And while it made a lot of money, maybe it didn’t make enough? And then Wonder Woman did great, so there's going to be this whole line on whether this movie is like that one or not, and it that because of reshoots, and is that good or bad. So you're going to see takes from a lot of different angles. And that's understandable, but please, when talking about it try to include at least a bit about your personal thoughts on this thing.

And it gets worse. Following a family tragedy, Zack Snyder left the picture in May and was replaced with Joss Whedon to finish filming, including reshoots, and oversee the editing. And it's going to be easy to filter everything about this movie through the lens of that switch. So let’s just keep in mind that movie-making is a complex process and who did what is hard to untangle from the outside. Snyder fans: it’s entirely possible that Joss Whedon will be involved with a good part of this movie, after all, Age of Ultron was at least an improvement over The Avengers. Snyder haters: I’ll never understand you, but you’re welcome here, so just leave Snyder’s kid out of it.

another crazy person posted:

It looks like a superhero movie, but with good visuals.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I learned from CD this is Affleck's last appearance as batman? lol he realized what a dumpster fire the DC movieverse is and is gtfo'ing

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

the sacrifices i make for my friends...

Man, I'm actually a Whedon defender and even I'll admit Age of Ultron was not good at all.

Zmej posted:

I learned from CD this is Affleck's last appearance as batman? lol he realized what a dumpster fire the DC movieverse is and is gtfo'ing

lmao what happened to the solo Batfleck movie?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Listen troops, I haven't seen the movie, but it's perfect and anyone who says otherwise is a stupid idiot. Here's your talking points. Now get out there and fight for the superpunchman film's honor!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

WampaLord posted:

Man, I'm actually a Whedon defender and even I'll admit Age of Ultron was not good at all.

I think the parts that involved the Avengers having to not be the Avengers was better than basically anything else in Age of Ultron, which is pretty bad for a comic book movie.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

this is a super nerdy complaint, but I think the worst part is how it made Hawkeye a family man. Ruling out a Hawkeye solo movie based on his most popular comics which are all about him being an aimless fuckup.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I think the parts that involved the Avengers having to not be the Avengers was better than basically anything else in Age of Ultron, which is pretty bad for a comic book movie.

That's because Whedon excels at character writing and not at action stuff. Also there was a lot of studio interference to make sure all the upcoming Marvel poo poo was plugged into the movie.

Guy Goodbody posted:

this is a super nerdy complaint, but I think the worst part is how it made Hawkeye a family man. Ruling out a Hawkeye solo movie based on his most popular comics which are all about him being an aimless fuckup.

Nah, that was the best part.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

Nah, that was the best part.

I don't even remember what the point of it was in the movie. Standard movie structure demanded the Avengers be at a low point so they go hide in a farm house but then the family makes them want to fight the robot again? Also to make Black Widow feel bad again for being a monster who can't have kids?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Avengers 2 is possibly the most boring MCU movie and that's a serious feat

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i like how the trailers all made ultron seem so scary and imposing and then he's just quippy whedon character #3,729 in the movie.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SpacePig posted:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Oh, so that long list of poo poo actually has some impact on the story itself? That's... Something, I guess.

Near as I can tell, from the way that whole thing doesn't have a single quotation mark save for emphasis, and from a quick reading of the Wikipedia article, Halliday is the guy who wrote that stuff down as culturally significant, and the main character is listing all of the poo poo to the reader, ostensibly for our benefit, or to impress us.

The key to finding the lost Star Citizen preorder money is hidden behind a series of stale pop culture references everyone knows..

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
RP1 is the worst nerd crime against literature since John Dies at the End

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
I remember reading that the dude who wrote Don Quixote basically had to write a sequel to Don Quixote that basically ended with 'gently caress off there no more Don Quixote stories' because people kept clamoring for it. That seems really quaint and charming comparatively to this Ready Player One bullshit, how did a dude from 1600-whatever have a better head on his shoulders then Cline.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

SpacePig posted:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Oh, so that long list of poo poo actually has some impact on the story itself? That's... Something, I guess.

There's a 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' thing going on too.

Someone bought me the hard cover, and I'd just read Aurora, and thought 'well, light reading as a contrast'. It's everything you imagine and worse. I hate-read the thing in a day. I'm an old enough gently caress to get every cultural reference in the book and I hate the author so goddamn much more for it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

lmao what happened to the solo Batfleck movie?

Affleck and the studio came to a "mutual decision" that Affleck wouldn't direct it. And then the new director threw his script in the trash. And I'm pretty sure writing and directing that script was the only reason he wanted to be Batman in the first place, so gently caress it.

Fellbat posted:

how did a dude from 1600-whatever have a better head on his shoulders then Cline.

Prepare to have your mind blown, but Cervantes was a better writer than Cline. You know people from 500 years ago weren't, like, cavemen, right?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like how the trailers all made ultron seem so scary and imposing and then he's just quippy whedon character #3,729 in the movie.

Right? Jesus christ could they not held themselves back a bit and not made the super death bot another joking rear end in a top hat who doesn't present a very serious sense of threat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

khwarezm posted:

Right? Jesus christ could they not held themselves back a bit and not made the super death bot another joking rear end in a top hat who doesn't present a very serious sense of threat.

If the robot didn't quip the movie wouldn't have a high enough QPM (quips per minute) to legally have Whedon's name associated with it.
That's the one where a bunch of slavs get thrown into the air right? I think I saw that one on a plane.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
One of my favorite bits of HitB is when the point out that the titular Age of Ultron is like one weekend.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

khwarezm posted:

One of my favorite bits of HitB is when the point out that the titular Age of Ultron is like one weekend.

Yea, that was really loving funny.

PostNouveau posted:

Affleck and the studio came to a "mutual decision" that Affleck wouldn't direct it. And then the new director threw his script in the trash. And I'm pretty sure writing and directing that script was the only reason he wanted to be Batman in the first place, so gently caress it.

:owned:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Ready Player One is worse than the Italian Occupation of Algeria

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Prepare to have your mind blown, but Cervantes was a better writer than Cline. You know people from 500 years ago weren't, like, cavemen, right?

Oh for sure, but you would think styling yourself a writer would mean putting some care into your craft, being aware of what became before you, and how to build on that (i.e. people figuring out that endless sequels and references sucked 500 years ago) and not just a way to suck your own dick. But I guess that's me being a optimistic idiot.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

quote:

Cavill’s issues are even more thorny. “Justice League’s” Man of Steel had expected to be able to finish shooting the sixth “Mission: Impossible” film before needing to don Superman’s spandex again. That has not been the case, however, as the new scenes that are being shot have required him to jump back and forth from each production. Because of this, a mustache he grew for his character in the “Mission: Impossible” sequel will have to be digitally removed in post-production. Paramount, which is distributing the “Mission: Impossible” sequel, would not allow Cavill to shave the facial hair while production was taking place.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/justice-league-reshoots-1202502433/

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Letting superman have a mustache would be a more interesting creative decision than anything in the DCU movies to date.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fellbat posted:

Oh for sure, but you would think styling yourself a writer would mean putting some care into your craft, being aware of what became before you, and how to build on that (i.e. people figuring out that endless sequels and references sucked 500 years ago) and not just a way to suck your own dick. But I guess that's me being a optimistic idiot.

I dunno why you'd do that when you can write "I watched The Goonies and I liked it!" and hey look, Steven Spielberg is here to direct it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

https://twitter.com/cameronMstewart/status/889614555332128769

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Death of Superman ... from

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In the Wheel of the Worst #10 they had a video on the wheel about HIV/AIDS and elderly Americans. They joked about Charlie Sheen, of course, and then it turned out that the video had been released in September 2001. Another dark prophecy becomes reality.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmRs1QjHU-k&t=1916s

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Paladinus posted:

In the Wheel of the Worst #10 they had a video on the wheel about HIV/AIDS and elderly Americans. They joked about Charlie Sheen, of course, and then it turned out that the video had been released in September 2001. Another dark prophecy becomes reality.

Yes we all know the lore

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
drat just finished Hellboy II and I've never seen it before. It's almost like a proto-Guardians of the Galaxy, really good, they should let Guillermo do the next GotG.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

This is the second time today I've seen superman with a mustache what is going on please?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'll buy a drat Justice League DVD if there's a special feature that's just the whole movie but Henry Cavill has a mustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Mexican superman with a goatee was the best superman anyway, they should let him keep it as a goof.

• Locked thread