Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Minge Binge posted:

the anti-nuclear hysteria post three mile and chernobyl reminds me of the tragedy of darth climateus the wise.

In trying to find a way to save the world by stopping the potentially regionally destructive nuclear energy, we switched to coal and instead destroyed the whole world. ironic how we could save Pennsylvania, but could not save the whole world

Don't forget the oil embargo and the ban on burning natural gas in power plants that pushed us so heavily towards coal.

Minge Binge posted:

The thing about wind, hydro and solar is that its output depends on a predictable climate..... Well, have you heard of this little thing I like to call climate change?

Climate and weather modeling is very good, especially for the next 30 years, which is the general lifetime for renewables. Nevada won't stop being sunny and the plains will keep being windy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
https://twitter.com/ChrisKingFL/status/885180688709947393/photo/1

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Trabisnikof posted:

Climate and weather modeling is very good, especially for the next 30 years, which is the general lifetime for renewables. Nevada won't stop being sunny and the plains will keep being windy.

I sure hope so!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Climate Change: The Circumcision of America's Penis

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Not soon enough...

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

Not soon enough...

You know it's not like those Floridians just sink into the sea one day. Most of them will see the change coming and move ahead of time. This tragedy just means more Floridians moving into non-Florida states. It's the worst possible outcome.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

davebo posted:

You know it's not like those Floridians just sink into the sea one day. Most of them will see the change coming and move ahead of time. This tragedy just means more Floridians moving into non-Florida states. It's the worst possible outcome.

There are enough in Michigan half the year that I've taken to describing climate change as "Summer Forever".

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Those are the wrong electoral districts to depopulate.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Groper posted:

There are enough in Michigan half the year that I've taken to describing climate change as "Summer Forever".

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Climate Change: Now we can swim any day in November

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

davebo posted:

If I am remembering right Trump told the EPA, NASA and other agencies to stop using the words "climate change" or looking into it at all. He desperately wants to protect the real-estate market from reality.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If Daytona Beach doesn't feel significant climate change effects before twenty-one-loving-hundred, I will posthumously eat my hat

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

call to action posted:

If Daytona Beach doesn't feel significant climate change effects before twenty-one-loving-hundred, I will posthumously eat my hat

That chart means over 10% of the usable land area inundated at least 26 times a year.

Edit: according to their specific report, Dayton Beach would be 19% inundated 26+ times a year by 2100 under the "high climate change" scenario. http://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/attach/2017/07/rising-seas-data-by-year.xlsx

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 24, 2017

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm no expert but it feels like a 10+% flooding event *once* a year for a few consecutive years would be enough to tank a local RE market

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I'd be surprised if local county governments weren't already putting the screws to flood zones in ways they never have before.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

davebo posted:

That's myopically optimistic.

The truth is that they won't move because the layman will see the change coming, but because one day the local economy will abruptly start failcascading, and even then you won't see mass migration until the first hard hurricane hits (with no economic interests left to foot the repair bill).

So it's not just Floridians: it's homeless , jobless, hungry and disgruntled Floridians.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Conspiratiorist posted:

The truth is that they won't move because the layman will see the change coming, but because one day the local economy will abruptly start failcascading, and even then you won't see mass migration until the first hard hurricane hits (with no economic interests left to foot the repair bill).

So it's not just Floridians: it's homeless , jobless, hungry and disgruntled Floridians.

Yeah it's not like this is anything new. Look at what hurricane Katrina did in terms of human migration patterns.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Accretionist posted:

I'd be surprised if local county governments weren't already putting the screws to flood zones in ways they never have before.

Unfortunately the local governments are run by real estate developers and others with a vested interest in pretending there actually isn't any flood risk at all or it's just no big deal. You gonna tell your voters their property is a liability? The sane response is to buy them out now and block further development, but nobody wants to recognize that.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Increased insurance rates and decreased coverage, alongside infeasible permitting requirements for building and rebuilding, could be used to whither flood zone populations.

It looks like there's already friction along those lines in Florida due to already-necessary rate and policy changes (mostly due to Katrina and Sandy's burden on the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)).

Article: Remember the flood insurance scare of 2013? It's creeping back into Tampa Bay and Florida
Date: 2015 August 5

quote:

Three years ago, Tampa Bay was roiling over massive flood insurance rate hikes. Home sales in some neighborhoods literally stopped. Real estate agents warned the market could collapse. Lawmakers held town halls and rallied from Tallahassee to Washington for help.

Then Congress passed a temporary reprieve, and nearly all fears subsided. "It went from screaming loud madness to not even a whisper," said Robin Sollie, head of the Tampa Bay Beaches Chamber of Commerce.

Brace yourself for the chorus of discontent to rise up again. That 2014 congressional fix slowed down — but didn't stop — the first wave of higher flood insurance premiums that is now hitting homeowners.

The article's long and detailed.

In a nutshell, the key variables are flood-zone maps and flood-insurance rates and subsidies. There's also talk of increased prevalence and acceptance of private flood insurance and private flood maps.

I wonder if we'll see a glut of cheap, useless, private policies and delusional zoning? It'd be amazing if the GOP manages to protect real estate bubbles by letting people be completely on their own when their house gets flooded, their community's devastated and they're not permitted to do any repairing or rebuilding unless they put their house on stilts.

Edit:

Squalid posted:

Unfortunately the local governments are run by real estate developers and others with a vested interest in pretending there actually isn't any flood risk at all or it's just no big deal. You gonna tell your voters their property is a liability? The sane response is to buy them out now and block further development, but nobody wants to recognize that.

Hopefully there's plenty of local government where the dominant industries don't care and the bureaucracy's less interested in what developers think than in avoiding financial implosion until well after they start collecting pensions.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 24, 2017

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

StabbinHobo posted:

i'm no expert but it feels like a 10+% flooding event *once* a year for a few consecutive years would be enough to tank a local RE market

Even less than this will probably do it. That chart is showing when areas become literally uninhabitable because they're flooding so often. I imagine most of those areas will be largely abandoned by everyone who can afford to get out long before that happens.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

That's the status quo in parts of Florida already.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Paradoxish posted:

Even less than this will probably do it. That chart is showing when areas become literally uninhabitable because they're flooding so often. I imagine most of those areas will be largely abandoned by everyone who can afford to get out long before that happens.

Yeah the report/map is based on an empirical derivation / definition of "uninhabitable" that soars wayyyy above most peoples' threshold for bailing out their living rooms and being unable to get to work.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Under the High scenario by 2045 the following amounts of these communities will be underwater every other week on average:

27% of Atlantic City NJ
29% of Miami Beach FL
12% of Savannah GA
42% of New Orleans LA
25% of Galveston TX

By 2100 you can add hundreds of more communities to biweekly flooding, including:

14% of Oakland CA
14% of New Haven CT
24% of Wilmington DE
54% of Miami FL
24% of Boston MA
36% of Jersey City NJ

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 24, 2017

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Learn to swim.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dex_sda posted:

Learn to swim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEeAn6_QJo

(personally I prefer Cali to AZ but this is a classic)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40686984

quote:

Sea level warning as Greenland darkens

Scientists are "very worried" that the melting of the Greenland ice sheet could accelerate and raise sea levels more than expected.

They say warmer conditions are encouraging algae to grow and darken the surface.

Algae were first observed on the Greenland ice sheet more than a century ago but until recently its potential impact was ignored. Only in the last few years have researchers have started to explore how the microscopically small plants could affect future melting.

A five-year UK research project known as Black and Bloom is under way to investigate the different species of algae and how they might spread, and then to use this knowledge to improve computer projections of future sea level rise.

The possibility of biologically inspired melting was not included in the estimates for sea level rise published by the UN's climate panel, the IPCC, in its latest report in 2013.

White snow reflects up to 90% of solar radiation while dark patches of algae will only reflect about 35% or even as little as 1% in the blackest spots.

Meanwhile, another factor that may be driving the melting has been identified by an Austrian member of the team, Stefan Hofer, a PhD student at Bristol.

In a paper recently published in Science Advances, he analysed satellite imagery and found that over the past 20 years there has been a 15% decrease in cloud cover over Greenland in the summer months.

"It was definitely a 'wow' moment," he told me.

Although temperature is an obvious driver of melting, the paper estimated that two-thirds of additional melting, above the long-term average, was attributable to clearer skies.

What is not known is how this might affect the algae. Their darker pigments are believed to be a protection from ultra violet light - so more sunshine might encourage that process of darkening or prove to be damaging to them.

The Black and Bloom project, funded by the Natural Environment Research Council (Nerc), aims to publish its new projections for sea level rise in two years' time.

Ice bugs! :argh:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Add 'biologically inspired Greenland melting' to the list of feedback effects not addressed in the most recent IPCC report. It will be interesting to see if they try to include all of these in the next one.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's funny how all the risk-minimizing, complex-system-misunderstanding that science has done to get us to this point could have all been avoided, if only we subscribed to the Gaia Principle and admitted that we pretty much know nothing about our the impact of human activity - thus working to minimize that impact wherever possible

call to action fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 25, 2017

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

call to action posted:

It's funny how all the risk-minimizing, complex-system-misunderstanding that science has done to get us to this point could have all been avoided, if only we subscribed to the Gaia Principle and admitted that we pretty much know nothing about our the impact of human activity - thus working to minimize that impact wherever possible

I'm really sorry, and I want to apologize in case I'm misreading this, or missing sarcasm, but this might be a super super dumb post.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
Good news everyone!

"Allowable 'carbon budget' most likely overestimated" by about 40%!
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170724114116.htm
https://skepticalscience.com/paris-carbon-budget-40-percent.html

"2017 is so unexpectedly warm it is freaking out climate scientists"
https://skepticalscience.com/2017-SkS-Weekly-Digest_29.html
https://thinkprogress.org/no-el-nino-still-hot-39162a5cc5bc

Gotta keep up morale!

We are hosed

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also FYI it is an unscientific claim to state "most humans will be exstinct due to climate change by 2100."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Trabisnikof posted:

Also FYI it is an unscientific claim to state "most humans will be exstinct due to climate change by 2100."

lol "most"

Pretty sure the extinction of a species has a certain prerequisite vis-à-vis the proportion of its members being dead

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Most humans currently living will be dead by 2100, yes.

I mean, assuming we don't figure out some sort of immortality treatment and make things even worse.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Conspiratiorist posted:

So maybe forget about the Mexico border wall and build one around Florida instead? We can call it the Florida-Georgia Line!

MyMomSaysImKeen
May 5, 2010
Scientists dim sunlight, suck up carbon dioxide to cool planet

Geo-engineering the dystopic norm for the future of business as usual.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

MyMomSaysImKeen posted:

It's cool that they are actually sucking the CO2 out of the air with that. It is very sad to see that such a massive project is removing the equivalent of only 45 American's yearly footprint.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MyMomSaysImKeen posted:

What a steal! At $600 a ton, per the article, we'd only need to spend $22.9 trillion dollars a year to bring us to net zero carbon. Note though, we'd have to spend far more than that piddling amount to take out carbon we put in years ago.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

call to action posted:

What a steal! At $600 a ton, per the article, we'd only need to spend $22.9 trillion dollars a year to bring us to net zero carbon. Note though, we'd have to spend far more than that piddling amount to take out carbon we put in years ago.

So all it would take to solve this problem is like half the money in the entire world, a complete cessation of fossil fuel usage immediately, and a switch to renewable energy resources also effective immediately.

I'm feeling good about this, guys.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Burt Buckle posted:

So all it would take to solve this problem is like half the money in the entire world, a complete cessation of fossil fuel usage immediately, and a switch to renewable energy resources also effective immediately.

I'm feeling good about this, guys.

Hey, at least those are all things that exist. Half the money in the world is a finite, obtainable thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Maybe we could try to have it reversed in 200 years instead of 500? You know, for the kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

call to action posted:

Note that at this level of spending we could terraform Mars (long term) and establish permanent colonies on the Moon, Mars, Venus, and the Asteroid belt in about a decade, shifting around half a million people into space.