Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I figured if you went into the hanger after you land it would free up that spot for someone to land on but I guess that's not the case. there's been many times I've went afk in open lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

i mean play in open if you want but realize the game has no real crime/punishment mechanic and 90% of your interactions with other players while doing something worthwhile is going to be negative.

if ur not in open how can we touch scoops? :smith:

boz
Oct 16, 2005
It's only gay if the hulls touch.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
How are you supposed to unlock Juri Ishmaak? It says to claim 50 combat bonds, but I just did a whole load of them and the progress bar hasn't changed. They were federal bonds too.

EDIT: nevermind. It just took a bit of time to update.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 24, 2017

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

I dabbled in the CG bounty hunt and played in open out of sheer boredom.

Most people I met didn't interact at all besides accepting the wiing invitation. Though one guy had his mic open and breathed heavily, muttered curses and used voice attack. "Breathing noises. Bastard! Highest threat".

It was as cozy as being badgered by a mentally deranged alcoholic in a mall.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If I get someone in my ship and they have a hot-mic and a lot of background noise or breathing I turn their noise off.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I refuse voice comms in game tbh, Discord feels alot safer and more conformable.

The fact it doesn't have the ambient noises makes it more natural.

I also like to drop a music stream in voice comms at times to mess with people :v:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

👏don't👏play👏in👏open👏

How do you ram people at 99m/s in solo?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Finally got a murder-yacht. That is a nice upgrade from the trusty old Vulture. It feels a bit squishier (don't have military hull yet) but it's still pretty nippy and the extra hardpoints make for more interesting loadout options. And no more power supply issues.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The galaxy map works perfectly fine in VR, you just have to bind the controls to your HOTAS or controller or something. The mouse does not work very well in VR because reasons. You need to bind the following:

Camera Pitch Roll Yaw

Camera Pan X/Y and Zoom

that way you can move the view around to actually select things.

It's still easier to just type in a system name and use the search function. But lol if you can't type without looking at a keyboard. Finally, make bookmarks. Bookmarks own. In the old days you'd have to park a sidewinder or something at a station if you wanted it to show up on the map. Those were dark times.

I've set it up so joystick moves the camera, one hat moves the pointy select thing, and the other zooms in and out. UI nav is done with buttons on the throttle. Works quite nicely, don't have to take the headset off except to check system names or eddb or something (V doesn't work for me so I can't inject a window into VR). The only irritating thing about it now is the galaxy map interface to the left is bizarrely positioned so it's angled over my shoulder rather than facing me. It's not fatal, just a bit odd.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Which one's the murder yacht for new people who don't know the lingo yet?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Opal posted:

Which one's the murder yacht for new people who don't know the lingo yet?

The Imperial Clipper. The Pauper's Cutter.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The FDL is the murder yacht, the Clipper is a luxury battering ram.

edit: that doesn't look right. Wait a minute...

Elite Space Traders Flight Training Manual posted:

FER-DE-LANCE
A Zorgon Petterson Group (Zee Pee Gee) designed vessel favored by well- heeled bounty hunter and freewheeling business corporations. A sophisticated craft, capable of both limited trading, combat, and leisure function. The spacious hull is mainly given over to sophisticated weaponry, defences and navigation equipment at the expense of cargo capacity. Cabin accommodation is large and luxurious with extensive Owndirt Inc. recycling facilities, encouraging extended live-in periods (useful whilst pursuing a quarry). Fuel scoop is a standard fitting, ensuring complete self-sufficiency.
There.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 24, 2017

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Finally got that Datamined Wake Exception, what an absolute slog. I went from 3 Atypical Wake Echoes to 180 during the course of scanning before I finally snagged one.

Jeez, never again, most unfun gaming experience I had in a decade. But now my Asp has a jump range of 48ly while still carrying an SRV, which is nice.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

John F Bennett posted:

Finally got that Datamined Wake Exception, what an absolute slog. I went from 3 Atypical Wake Echoes to 180 during the course of scanning before I finally snagged one.

Jeez, never again, most unfun gaming experience I had in a decade. But now my Asp has a jump range of 48ly while still carrying an SRV, which is nice.

That's probably a lot longer than it should have taken! Were you just parked outside a station?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

That's probably a lot longer than it should have taken! Were you just parked outside a station?

I went to many stations and many planets. Did other stuff in between to scare away the darkness of mind.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So I got obliterated in my Combat Newbie Sidewinder (switched a bunch of modules out for combat only stuff) by a "Master" Eagle pilot in a RES site..

THat was fun, I almost had him but I screwed up my throttle turns and he ultimately out flew me.

So I ended up trying a couple rare loops and made great money.. took forever to fly there but it was nice and relaxing.

Couple questions:
Is there anyway to target things without losing your destination target? So I'm going through Hypercruise to a station and "Unidentified Signal" comes up, can I maintain my destination target and scan the signal? Like why do i need to target the drat station to keep my Thrust and such up?

I know the D modules are less mass and reduce your ship mass and improve your jump range.
How do B modules affect your ship? Like the power module? Can someone give me a quick rundown on how it affects systems?

As in, if you have 10 mW and use 4 mW running and modules.. versus 12 mW and use 4mW.. you will run "Cooler" and be harder to target right?

How do you guys bind your keyboard controls?

I'm debating getting a HOTAS set up, but I watch Vindicator jones thrusters video and wonder how you do that with a hotas? Wouldn't a double stick be smarter? Double stick and peddles would be amazing right? lol.

Anyone play VR? Rift is half off, debating getting one because I think this game would be great with it. Can you explain how it works? is it always in free look mode and your controls are always bound to where you're looking?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm debating getting a HOTAS set up, but I watch Vindicator jones thrusters video and wonder how you do that with a hotas? Wouldn't a double stick be smarter? Double stick and peddles would be amazing right? lol.

Anyone play VR? Rift is half off, debating getting one because I think this game would be great with it. Can you explain how it works? is it always in free look mode and your controls are always bound to where you're looking?

Double stick is a popular choice.

The CH Pro throttle has an analog ministick that's perfect for thrusters. I'm not up on the latest hotas hardware so I don't know if anyone else has released something with a similar setup, but when I bought mine it was the best throttle for Elite, imo. You can pair it with any joystick you like.

VR is awesome for Elite. It's free look and controls are independent so you will need something you can configure to handle all common functions by touch. Voice Attack is handy for VR so you don't need to map every single button.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 24, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So I got obliterated in my Combat Newbie Sidewinder (switched a bunch of modules out for combat only stuff) by a "Master" Eagle pilot in a RES site..

THat was fun, I almost had him but I screwed up my throttle turns and he ultimately out flew me.

So I ended up trying a couple rare loops and made great money.. took forever to fly there but it was nice and relaxing.

Couple questions:
Is there anyway to target things without losing your destination target? So I'm going through Hypercruise to a station and "Unidentified Signal" comes up, can I maintain my destination target and scan the signal? Like why do i need to target the drat station to keep my Thrust and such up?

I know the D modules are less mass and reduce your ship mass and improve your jump range.
How do B modules affect your ship? Like the power module? Can someone give me a quick rundown on how it affects systems?

As in, if you have 10 mW and use 4 mW running and modules.. versus 12 mW and use 4mW.. you will run "Cooler" and be harder to target right?

B rated modules are the heaviest but have the most HP so they'll last longer if your shield goes down. Your unused power has no bearing on your heat or ability for npc's to target you. You pretty much want to always A rate your power plant because its the most heat efficient.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Sultan Tarquin posted:

B rated modules are the heaviest but have the most HP so they'll last longer if your shield goes down. Your unused power has no bearing on your heat or ability for npc's to target you. You pretty much want to always A rate your power plant because its the most heat efficient.

If you want good heat handling in a max-jumprange or speed build ship it can be worth downgrading your powerplant to a lower number but keeping it A-rated, as long as it supplies enough power.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

That entirely depends on how HOT you want that AS(S) to be (by which I mean how much money you're willing to throw away).

A double stick only has 4 axes — 6 if it comes with analogue triggers. Any of the more advanced HOTASes will have more than that, and it's really more of a question of how easy or intuitive they are to access all at once.

For instance, the TM Warthog has 7 analogue axes. Add in a set of pedals and you have 10 (never mind all the axes you can assign to hats and switches since you don't really need precision control over them). It's just that a couple of those will be tricky to operate with any precision while you're also operating all the others. With a bit of time and practice, it can be learned, but if you've ever used a dual-stick controller for any kind of flying or shooting game, the threshold for learning to use that in ED will be vastly lower — you'll just be a bit more limited in how much you can do at once. The same goes for all kinds of additional functions — your controller will quickly run out of buttons, even as you start making combinations, whereas a HOTAS setup will have more than the game could ever need (and that's saying a lot in the case of ED).

So it's not so much a matter of smarter, but of “easy now” vs. “potentially more capable later”

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

I went to many stations and many planets. Did other stuff in between to scare away the darkness of mind.

You can use the galmap to filter systems in famine, go to one and find a distribution center signal source. There will be a bunch of type 9s idling and other ships coming and going, lots of wake signals. If the system is also anarchy you can farm the type 9s for rare mats too.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Tippis posted:

That entirely depends on how HOT you want that AS(S) to be (by which I mean how much money you're willing to throw away).

A double stick only has 4 axes — 6 if it comes with analogue triggers. Any of the more advanced HOTASes will have more than that, and it's really more of a question of how easy or intuitive they are to access all at once.

For instance, the TM Warthog has 7 analogue axes. Add in a set of pedals and you have 10 (never mind all the axes you can assign to hats and switches since you don't really need precision control over them). It's just that a couple of those will be tricky to operate with any precision while you're also operating all the others. With a bit of time and practice, it can be learned, but if you've ever used a dual-stick controller for any kind of flying or shooting game, the threshold for learning to use that in ED will be vastly lower — you'll just be a bit more limited in how much you can do at once. The same goes for all kinds of additional functions — your controller will quickly run out of buttons, even as you start making combinations, whereas a HOTAS setup will have more than the game could ever need (and that's saying a lot in the case of ED).

So it's not so much a matter of smarter, but of “easy now” vs. “potentially more capable later”

There really isn't much trigger variability in this game, you need to swap your configurations but use two triggers.. My issue is I don't see how putting my hand on a throttle stick could be worth giving up left/right/up/down thrust unless there's something magical I'm missing.

I figured there's a small analog joystick on some sticks that can be used for left/right/up/down thrusters and then bind two buttons on the throttle to be used for left/right yaw.

Basically, I'm looking for comparison of what people are using and what they like/dislike.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

There really isn't much trigger variability in this game, you need to swap your configurations but use two triggers.. My issue is I don't see how putting my hand on a throttle stick could be worth giving up left/right/up/down thrust unless there's something magical I'm missing.

The main thing is that you don't really have to give those up unless the HOTAS is really anaemic. Left/right thrust is good to have, but you don't really need complete analogue axes for those — just like ships in ED are yaw-weak, they're also strafe-weak, so there's very rarely a situation where you'd use anything less than full side thrust to manoeuvre. So that's already one thing you can put on a pair of buttons (or, as I did, since I didn't want to mess with TM's joystick programming junk, assign pedal axes to button inputs :haw:).

The really tricky thing — and this holds as true no matter what kind of controller or dual-stick or other setup you're using — is to decide how to manage both forwards/backwards thrust and up/down thrust at once. They'll naturally want to go to the same kind of forward/aft lever, and you're going to use both a lot to position yourself.

If you have a split-throttle HOTAS, then that's your solution right there, but that comes at a (cash) cost. Another one I've seen is to have a toggle decide which one you're controlling with a single lever, but that can get finicky if you want to use absolute positions (i.e. you set a speed, as in assist off, rather than directly control control thrust): if you want to command both 75% forward thrust by pulling the lever forward, and also have 75% down thrust by pulling it backwards, that's going to require a whole lot of jerking around as you toggle between the two. In a funny twist, keyboard controls almost come out on top here.

Tbh, the main point here is that E:D have some absolutely fantastic — if complex — control setup capabilities. You can make almost anything work for you because there's just so many input options and means to map all kinds of inputs and devices to those options. It's more a matter of what works for you in terms of pressing all the required buttons at once without breaking every bone in your hands.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 24, 2017

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
My dual stick setup has 6 hands on axis and two off hand. It's pretty dope. Of course I only use it because it's fun, most effective control is keyboard and mouse.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

There is a keybinding called "Target Next System In Route" under "Targeting" controls that will replot back to your nav target. Works for more than just systems. Will replot to stations, planets, etc.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Natsuumi posted:

There is a keybinding called "Target Next System In Route" under "Targeting" controls that will replot back to your nav target. Works for more than just systems. Will replot to stations, planets, etc.

Oh my god

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I figured there's a small analog joystick on some sticks that can be used for left/right/up/down thrusters and then bind two buttons on the throttle to be used for left/right yaw.

Basically, I'm looking for comparison of what people are using and what they like/dislike.

I use the Thrustmaster FCS and it loving owns. I control all the translational thrusters with the throttle:

As you can see it has an analog stick right where your index finger goes. That's up/down and left/right. Then the rudder rocker I use for thrust forwards/back. Perfect analog control. Here's the control scheme I use:

Since I use VR a lot I have to use modifiers to access certain things, like fighter/wingman controls and the like. Modifier color indicates what the button does when pressed at the same time as the modifier.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I use a full TM HOTAS with rudder pedals and a Track IR. Don't recommend putting down the money for it unless you also are into serious flight simulation as well.

I have roll and pitch on the joystick, main engines on the throttle and translation thrusters dual bound on the mini-stick and one of the hat switches. Rudder provides yaw, and toe brakes act as gas and brake pedals for the SRV.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

…also, do not overlook the Alternate Controls section. It's not quite as completely customisable as the main controls, but still allows you to set up a pretty significantly different control scheme that you can access at the press of a button, either as a toggle or as a hold switch.

It shouldn't be too hard to use it to set up two manoeuvring-for-position vs. manoeuvring-for-shot schemes that you can slip in and out of instantly and at will.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Logitech X-52 is dope AF. Also has the bonus of looking exactly like the virtual cockpit setup!

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004
Thrustmaster T-Flight X here, as the bargain basement option. I've found it much better than expected for the £30 it cost, and whilst it doesn't have any throttle hats it has a fair few buttons and an analogue rocker which can be used for thrusters. I don't play flight sims so I couldn't justify spending a load more on a fancier HOTAS, at least not yet (tempted though...)

I also use a small USB keyboard between the throttle and stick, with a bunch of not-required-that-often functions as I can't get the hang of using toggle/hold switches to change the active controls.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I would like to pay some of these fines. How can I know where I can do this? I don't know where every faction is.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Tippis posted:

This is why I like the CH throttle for Elite. Up/down/left/right on the ministick, forward, back and boost on the three buttons at the front of the throttle. In combat I leave the throttle in the blue and use thrusters to adjust speed and position to chase targets, then at any time I can just let go of thruster buttons and be back in the blue.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

John F Bennett posted:

I would like to pay some of these fines. How can I know where I can do this? I don't know where every faction is.

You need an interstellar factor where you can pay all fines/collectbounties/cash warbonds for a 25% cut to them.

Open up the galaxy map select low sec or anarchy systems go into the system map for those systems and look at the facilities available in the various stations/docks you want anything with a "broker facility".

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I didn't even know such a thing existed.

Thanks!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

If you're doing it, the current community goal station has this facility.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

John F Bennett posted:

Don't pay fines, ever. You're wasting money to pay them. Fines are not bounties so you will not be hunted for just having fines. You will also not be forced to pay them when docking at a station controlled by the faction that issued them. There is literally no reason to voluntarily pay them.

If you have a really big fine that goes unpaid for a week, there is a chance it will become a bounty. If this happens, just suicide in a stock sidewinder to make the bounty dormant.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I am roleplaying a respectable citizen so I will have to pay my fines.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

I am roleplaying a respectable citizen so I will have to pay my fines.

Do you obey the station speed limit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Well, maybe not at night.

• Locked thread