Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
sure we could be anti-slavery, but think of all the jobs building slave quarters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

over-under on the last time wj has worked a blue-collar job is at 17.5 years.

i'm guessing an undefined number of years cause he's never done it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I found an article from the pre-escalator era that mentions Bryce prominently: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/14/magazine/scott-walker-and-the-fate-of-the-union.html

presented for your consumption

quote:

On his first day of work in three months, Randy Bryce asked his foreman for the next day off. He wanted to go to the Capitol in Madison, Wis., and testify against a proposed law. Bryce, a member of Milwaukee Ironworkers Local 8, was unloading truckloads of steel beams to build a warehouse near Kenosha, and he needed the job. He has an 8-year-old son, his debts were piling up and a 10-hour shift paid more than $300. But the legislation, which Republicans were rushing through the State Senate, angered him enough to sacrifice the hours. Supporters called it a “right to work” bill, because it prohibited unions from requiring employees to pay dues. But to Bryce, that appealing name hid the true purpose of the bill, which was to destroy unions.

The next morning, Bryce, who is 50 and has close-­cropped black hair and a horseshoe mustache, woke up at 5:30, got dressed in his usual jeans, hoodie and Local 8 varsity jacket with an I-beam and an American flag stitched on the back and drove 90 miles to Madison in his gray Mustang. Despite the February chill, crowds had begun to gather in the square outside the Capitol. The scene was reminiscent of a similar one that played out four years earlier, in 2011, when thousands of people occupied the Capitol’s rotunda for more than two weeks to protest Act 10, a law that demolished collective-­bargaining rights for nearly all public employees.

quote:

After his discharge, Bryce briefly attended the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, but was found to have testicular cancer and dropped out to receive treatment. He lucked into an experimental trial at a medical college that cured him and eventually landed a job assisting homeless veterans. “I remember talking to a vet,” he said. “He was an atomic warrior in the Cold War, and he showed me his back. It looked like someone poured acid on it.” The government wouldn’t help the man, Bryce said, because he was unable to prove that the injury was caused by exposure to an atomic test. “It couldn’t have been made more clear to me that vets were disposable resources,” he said. Bryce heard about Local 8’s apprenticeship program from a patient in his mother’s office. After completing his four-year ironworker’s apprenticeship, he became more involved in the union. Since Act 10 passed in 2011, he has run unsuccessfully for State Senate and State Assembly and now serves as Local 8’s political coordinator. After protesting the passage of right-to-work laws in Indiana and Michigan, Bryce began a grass-roots organizing campaign against the bill in Wisconsin.

In southeastern Wisconsin, union ironworkers earn $55 an hour and receive $33 of that in pretax income. (The difference goes to funding their pensions, health care and training.) The pretax pay for a unionized ironworker in Iowa, a right-to-work state since 1947, tops out at $26 an hour. In Texas, also a right-to-work state since 1947, the ironworkers’ locals offer pretax wages ranging from $21 an hour to close to $30 an hour. Nonunion workers in the state doing the same job make about $8 an hour. “A mile of U.S. highway in Texas costs close to the same as it does in Wisconsin, certainly not less than half,” Colin Millard, an organizer for the Iron Workers International Union, told me. “So it is only a question of who makes the money — the workers or the owners.”

Ironwork is a dangerous job. It has the sixth-highest fatality rate in the country, according to a Bloomberg News analysis of Bureau of Labor Statistics data. A 2011 University of Michigan study concluded that the fatality rate in construction trades was 40 percent higher in right-to-work states. Local 8 offers a four-year training program that requires more than 7,000 hours of combined classroom and on-the-job study. Even many right-to-work proponents single out the building trades’ training programs, like Local 8’s, as exemplary.

That is one reason many Wisconsin business owners, who might be expected to cheer the demise of unions and welcome cheaper labor costs, have not done so. Contractors rely on the unions to certify and drug-test workers and keep their workers current on new technologies and job skills. Collectively, Wisconsin’s trade unions contributed more than $30 million last year to training programs.

quote:

Bryce blamed the timidity of both union leaders and the rank-­and-­file, as much as the Republicans, for allowing Act 10 and right-to-work to become law. “People think that unions are useless today, that we’re dinosaurs,” he said. “Well, how did that happen? We let it happen. The labor movement has become lazy, because it’s something that’s been handed to us.” He leaned against his Mustang and stared out into the industrial landscape surrounding the parking lot.

“A lot of guys in our local didn’t see Act 10 as being important for ironworkers,” Bryce said, because it targeted public employees. “I would ask them, how can you say there are good unions and bad unions? It’s an idea that they’re trying to kill — it’s not the union itself. This is the strategy they’re using to do it. They’re splitting everything up. They’re going after them first, then it’s going to be somebody else. Then they’re going to get to us too.”

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I mean look who was behind that video ad that launched his campaign

Who was it

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I could look it up but this is the suck zone

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the point of contention here is that the project itself is a temporary job, but that the skills and the work isn't temporary and can be easily transferred elsewhere, he's not wrong on that

supporting dapl is bad but not remotely enough to outweigh everything else, he's also shown an ability to change his mind for the better when confronted on issues

you voted for slay queen because bernie wasn't pure enough for you so I piss on your opinion, have your maid clean it up

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

the point of contention here is that the project itself is a temporary job, but that the skills and the work isn't temporary and can be easily transferred elsewhere, he's not wrong on that

supporting dapl is bad but not remotely enough to outweigh everything else

you voted for slay queen because bernie wasn't pure enough for you so I piss on your opinion, have your maid clean it up

i voted slay queen because she won black people 3:1

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

i voted slay queen because she won black people 3:1

transparent attempt at riling up the thread, 3/10, see zegermans after class

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

some guy working for Thad Nation, who ran PR for DAPL

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I said good gracious can this be my luck
If that's my prayerbook
Lord let us pray

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the real reason dems don't want to address the income gap at all is cause if they do, a newly empowered working class might come to the realization that the 0.1% leading the world are all loving idiot children, and they might put a stop to the world where shitbirds like trump can live a worry free life despite how idiotic and useless he is

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

oh well if naomi klein is against him then

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Condiv posted:

the real reason dems don't want to address the income gap at all is cause if they do, a newly empowered working class might come to the realization that the 0.1% leading the world are all loving idiot children, and they might put a stop to the world where shitbirds like trump can live a worry free life despite how idiotic and useless he is

Also because bad dems are more obsessed with appeasing their horrible donor class than creating a new deal.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

etalian posted:

Also because bad dems are more obsessed with appeasing their horrible donor class than creating a new deal.

that too

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Condiv posted:

i'm guessing an undefined number of years cause he's never done it

not a lot of people have the sack to wager the double-ought on a roulette table.

that takes guts.

i like guts.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

sure we could be anti-slavery, but think of all the jobs building slave quarters!

those were built by slaves

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

p. rich considering tu abuela and all.

maybe not six-figgy rich, but what is anymore these days?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkman Fanpage posted:

those were built by slaves

i'm pretty sure tradesmen built Arkansas' prisons

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
in Africa, they call her abuela

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol at being anti pipeline

lol at wanting to preserve our species time on this poo poo earth

Just lmao 😂

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You want to both lead and end with your best stuff, because the first and last parts are the ones people are most likely to remember.

theyve had 9 months since they got their rear end kicked by orange rapist, they dont need to roll this poo poo out over weeks

Agean90 posted:

they be been getting blowback from their wall street donors who are shook by the eat the rich mentality that's spreading around

they could always give up their money, it's not a permanent condition like race or sex

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like, i don't understand why everyone insists on purity tests for candidates. you vote for the candidates you have instead of the candidates you want.

it's called "the lesser of the two evils," maybe you heard of it? because i'm pretty sure we cannot afford to let perfect be the enemy of good.

just get in line, centrists.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
*thinking* How do we win back the working class? How? *Thinking harder* wait. loving... wait. I've got it. Tax credits... for businesses! Hahahahahah

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

got any sevens posted:

theyve had 9 months since they got their rear end kicked by orange rapist, they dont need to roll this poo poo out over weeks

they could always give up their money, it's not a permanent condition like race or sex

I would think so but I am only a simple country shitposter confused by the big city politicos and their diamond covered lanyards

Agean90 has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Jul 25, 2017

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I mean let's not get all nihilistic here, the pipeline is a really lovely idea that's a bad deal for us and a good deal for Canadian oil companies that wanna sell to china.

Bryce still rules, but that's a bad position I hope he changes.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I mean look who was behind that video ad that launched his campaign

the guy who ran de blasio? or the actual production company?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
his democratic opponent is also for single payer so :shrug:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

more uneducated babies means lower wage floor in 18 years! :tinfoil:

Frijolero posted:

Tax the Rich -> Give to Poor

robbin 'hood was a pinko allied with putin, enemy of yaaas queen

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

the democrats should be doing absolutely everything they can to make sure bryce defeats paul ryan, this guy is the loving future of the party

https://twitter.com/IronStache/status/889604618224893952

Iron never lies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz2DknROaI8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_oAO561nA

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

more uneducated babies means lower wage floor in 18 years! :tinfoil:

well, then, that just means dems can engage in further corporate welfaregrant more tax subsidies so those uneducated babies can be trained in the skills in low-skilled jobs that will be eventually eliminated by [PICK ONE: automation/global warning/being literally fed alive into the nestle-brand funmeat sausage grinders]!

besides, it's kentucky so it's not like they really count as people anyway amirite?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

his democratic opponent is also for single payer so :shrug:

I'm actually gonna agree with WJ here. I think that many of the folks in this thread sometimes become overly enthusiastic about certain candidates (like Buttigieg or Bullock*), and Bryce's Democratic opponent seems to share most of the same positive traits that he does.

*Not saying there's anything wrong with these guys, but I think that they're often portrayed as more leftist than there's any reason to believe they actually are (this is more the case with Buttigieg, since I think there aren't many people saying Bullock is actually leftist so much as preferable in his state.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm actually gonna agree with WJ here. I think that many of the folks in this thread sometimes become overly enthusiastic about certain candidates (like Buttigieg or Bullock*), and Bryce's Democratic opponent seems to share most of the same positive traits that he does.

*Not saying there's anything wrong with these guys, but I think that they're often portrayed as more leftist than there's any reason to believe they actually are (this is more the case with Buttigieg, since I think there aren't many people saying Bullock is actually leftist so much as preferable in his state.

People only bring up Buttgieg due to his name.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Ytlaya posted:

Buttigieg brought up Zuck in the first five minutes of his TED talk, I really don't get Al!'s love for him.

Or was that logik? I don't even care. It screams trap. Never trust a Hoosier.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

*thinking* How do we win back the working class? How? *Thinking harder* wait. loving... wait. I've got it. Tax credits... for businesses! Hahahahahah

the blinding flash of your galaxy brain led me to believe that the bombs finally came

don't trick me like that you jerk!! <:mad:>

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Donkwich posted:

actually zoolander is the dems since they cant turn left

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/889566626093432832

:thunk:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/evepeyser/status/889652784257261571

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

fulchrum appears to love the hell out of zuck and it's super creepy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Condiv posted:

fulchrum appears to love the hell out of zuck and it's super creepy

fits my needs has a collection of zuck pics that he refuses to ever stop posting in the trump thread

it is hell

• Locked thread