Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can check out any MarvelDC cape comic.

MHA is a lot like them but very Japanese because duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can check out any MarvelDC cape comic.

MHA is a lot like them but very Japanese because duh

mha is pretty different from those comics actually

for one, it's good and worth your time

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

don't do this

saga is a solid self contained narrative though

Agreed on both counts. Don't check out Invincible and do check out Saga.

Invincible just never loving knew what tone it was going for and constantly lurched between goofy hero poo poo and super violent serious hero comic. After a while, it just got unreadable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Brother Entropy posted:

mha is pretty different from those comics actually

for one, it's good and worth your time

Weeboo tribalism aside Marvel and D.C. Have a lot of good comics and calling them bad is basically calling MHA bad and is bizarre.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

That's a pretty weird line to draw

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Weeboo tribalism aside Marvel and D.C. Have a lot of good comics and calling them bad is basically calling MHA bad and is bizarre.

not really

mha is obviously informed and inspired by those comics but it lacks a lot of the garbage that's festered in marvel and dc comics by dint of being a singular earnest story told by one person+his assistants and not just an endless churning of event comics that only still exist to be a testbed for what characters or stories will show up in financially profitable mediums 5-10 years from now

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

if you want to check out marvel/DC stuff you'd probably be best off just watching the good animated series/films since those were usually pretty self contained and only a few seasons per show. mostly talking DC here since I dunno what's good on the marvel end besides spectacular spider-man, which I haven't seen myself.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The DCAU is spectacular basically from start to finish, if you want comic book stuff without all the issues of actual comic books. Superman TAS, Batman TAS and Justice League being the big three. The first two Spidey movies set the bar for super hero movies for a long time, and most of the current MCU stuff is pretty good, too.

If you want to read actual Marvel/DC comics, you're better off picking up some trade paperbacks where one writer got to tell their own vision of a story and keep it mostly self-contained. The first 50-60 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man are absolutely spectacular, IMO.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 23, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Brother Entropy posted:

not really

mha is obviously informed and inspired by those comics but it lacks a lot of the garbage that's festered in marvel and dc comics by dint of being a singular earnest story told by one person+his assistants and not just an endless churning of event comics that only still exist to be a testbed for what characters or stories will show up in financially profitable mediums 5-10 years from now

A lot of the C and D list Marvel and DC characters have runs that are basically one author's story for an extended period. They aren't really like MHA, but Moon Knight and The Question have both had multiple runs where one author tells an interesting story that's fairly self contained. Aquaman had that for a while with Sword of Atlantis and the Blue Beetle comics were also generally good examples of that. Plus the major companies will put out things that are min/maxi series about just some group or hero, like Nextwave.

Pick up a trade paperback and it'll generally be one author/team doing their thing for a while. If there's actual backstory you need to know it'll be a couple paragraphs at the beginning or told in story. The big difference isn't that Marvel and DC won't let you follow one authorial voice, it's that they aren't going to let you do it for the entire life of a character/team and probably not for more than a couple years or so.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 23, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gyges posted:

A lot of the C and D list Marvel and DC characters have runs that are basically one author's story for an extended period. They aren't really like MHA, but Moon Knight and The Question have both had multiple runs where one author tells an interesting story that's fairly self contained. Aquaman had that for a while with Sword of Atlantis and the Blue Beetle comics were also generally good examples of that.

Plus the major companies will put out things that are min/maxi series about just some group or hero, like Nextwave.

i read comics for like six years dude i know this

it just stopped being worth my time to wade through the poo poo

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mr. Fowl posted:

Invincible just never loving knew what tone it was going for and constantly lurched between goofy hero poo poo and super violent serious hero comic. After a while, it just got unreadable.

I have a bad habit of continuing to follow decent series that turn mediocre as a result of intense need for a resolution. Most everything I've picked up I've followed to the series is concluded or cancelled. Invincible is one of the rare gems that just got so bad and outright offensive that I dropped it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Brother Entropy posted:

i read comics for like six years dude i know this

it just stopped being worth my time to wade through the poo poo

I think I just quoted the wrong person. It does seem like you're more likely to get burned out and throw your hands up with DC/Marvel/Image/Whatever than other general classifications of comics though. It's like they go out of their way to try and force aggressively bad things on you, especially with major crossover events.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the "wrong" way to read American comics is to actually follow them from month the month. That poo poo works in manga, but between creative team changes, stupid event pushes, stupid character promotion... yeahhh just wait until a story or a run that becomes particularly well regarded is complete before checking it out.

This doesn't really apply to indie books (well, the kind that are handled by consistent teams) but I'll be honest, something about most American indie books puts me off. It's a lot of little thing. The kind of artists I like seem to prefer doing lucrative pay-for-play art with Marvel/DC instead of gambling on creator-owned stuff. A lot of indie series nowadays read like they're trying to pull a Mark Millar and stealth-launch a movie deal (or I guess, Robert Kirkman and stealth launch a TV franchise?). And a lot of stuff tries to define itself as "anti-Marvel/DC" in ways that rub me the wrong way, whether it's subject matter or tone (tits and blood, in other words).

but nobody can gently caress with hellboy that poo poo is magic

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sorry Jimmy!

This owns so hard.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Sorry Jimmy!

This owns so hard.

Check out Superdickery for more silverage shenanigans.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mordaedil posted:

Check out Superdickery for more silverage shenanigans.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:perfect:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
:vince:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I have to imagine that making those silver age covers was the most fun part of the job because they often had nothing to do with the contents of the book, so you could go wild. Just draw whatever gets people's attention like monkeys, robots, and so on, and then ratchet up the crazy to ten.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mr. Fowl posted:

I have to imagine that making those silver age covers was the most fun part of the job because they often had nothing to do with the contents of the book, so you could go wild. Just draw whatever gets people's attention like monkeys, robots, and so on, and then ratchet up the crazy to ten.

A lot of the time, they would make an attention-grabbing cover first and then write the story around that.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

:bisonyes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/osheeets/status/889298220718870528

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
It was kind of inevitable that Western Comics chat would happen.

I felt that Batman: No Man's Land was pretty good, and I quite enjoy the novelization that was done of it. And Warren Ellis' Planetary was fun, and I might as well mention Neil Gaiman's Sandman, which I decided to try because Sam Kieth worked on it.

I really haven't read a lot of American Mainstream comics (I've read more Marvel than DC, since that is what looked interesting when I was at the newsstand with cash) but I have read a lot of types of comics: Newspaper Strip collections (Footrot Flats is a personal fave), British comic anthologies (Buster, Whizzer & Chips, Whoopie), American Satirical (many Mad Magazines, one or two issues of Cracked), American Indie, and Manga being phases I can remember going through. Also: Uncle Scrooge Adventures, Alf, Gross Point, the 4-issue comic of Jurassic Park.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This can't get enough love.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The original for that one guy who haven't seen it:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Just gonna chime and say that if we're recommending animated stuff then Spectacular Spider-man is a quality show. The opera fight near the end was impeccable.

And echo that Ultimate Spiderman was a fantastic comic. Google "Kingpin fat jokes".

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

If you read MHA then you will probably enjoy All New X-Men or Wolverine & the X-Men. Both were a ton of fun with youngster teams dealing with old hats. Just start on their issue #1s in trade or Marvel Unlimited. The crossover issues are dumb but that's just how it goes in the big two.

Personally I only use Unlimited because reading month to month is annoying, getting full runs is great.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

I keep thinking about the person who posted a few pages back and said this anime made them not want to read the manga. I feel the same way, except I feel that way because the pacing in this season still feels pretty bad to me. I feel like I would be a lot more interested and hyped up and actually think it's good if I hadn't already read the manga... which is weird, because pretty much everyone here thinks this season has been blowing it out of the park, but I am just struggling to enjoy it because of the pacing and the way things are presented. I adore the manga to bits, so I'm just sad that the anime never really quite does it for me. I hope by the time the anime gets around to the stuff in the manga I'm especially interested in (because I'm confident this WILL keep getting seasons, despite how I personally feel about it) that it doesn't feel that way for me and I can get as hyped about it as everyone else. :shobon:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
So, how did Deku know to text Todoroki? Or was that a group message he sent out? (I liked the bit on the train where Deku skimmed through his texts to Iida, since those kinds of asides usually ground the setting/characters in a nice way, but until Todoroki showed up I kind of assumed he wasn't staying in touch with any of the other students.)

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

I keep thinking about the person who posted a few pages back and said this anime made them not want to read the manga. I feel the same way, except I feel that way because the pacing in this season still feels pretty bad to me. I feel like I would be a lot more interested and hyped up and actually think it's good if I hadn't already read the manga... which is weird, because pretty much everyone here thinks this season has been blowing it out of the park, but I am just struggling to enjoy it because of the pacing and the way things are presented. I adore the manga to bits, so I'm just sad that the anime never really quite does it for me. I hope by the time the anime gets around to the stuff in the manga I'm especially interested in (because I'm confident this WILL keep getting seasons, despite how I personally feel about it) that it doesn't feel that way for me and I can get as hyped about it as everyone else. :shobon:

Out of curiosity, what's the pacing of the manga like at this point? It def. feels like the anime is going fast (not that I mind).

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Cheston posted:

So, how did Deku know to text Todoroki? Or was that a group message he sent out? (I liked the bit on the train where Deku skimmed through his texts to Iida, since those kinds of asides usually ground the setting/characters in a nice way, but until Todoroki showed up I kind of assumed he wasn't staying in touch with any of the other students.)

Out of curiosity, what's the pacing of the manga like at this point? It def. feels like the anime is going fast (not that I mind).

I could be wrong, but it looked to me like he was using an app like Uber for heroes.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Cheston posted:

I've read the manga and the pacing in the anime, especially the second season, seems to be about the same, maybe a little faster. :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
My Hero Academia is just all killer no filler. That's what makes it feel so fast. They don't waste ANY time.

At first it felt jarring that we went from 'no power deku' to 'training deku' to 'deku applying for school' to 'deku in school to they're already at the first major school competition' in the course of like 5 episodes.

But gently caress it, bring on the action.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Deku specifically just sent his location to his entire contact list. He didn't know Todoroki was in the immediate area- he was mostly hoping someone would be around or realize that him broadcasting his location with no context might set off alarm bells for someone.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I haven't read the manga, and the latest episode felt a bit slow. I know it's about breaking down the entire fight and thought processes everyone goes through, and it's a lot to take in, but it feels like the events of the episode couldn't have taken more than 3 or 5 minutes of real time. Sure, things happened, but it doesn't feel like it was 20 minutes worth of things happening. Iida basically repeating himself two or three times with his pleas that others don't get involved was also not great.

The show's pacing has been fine otherwise.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

This episode was way faster than the manga

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

teen midnight was absolutely in the anime club

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

all mic

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mic reminds me a whole lot of the dude from Ghost Trick

Midnight reminds me of somebody too but I'm not sure who... maybe a little bit of Ryuko from Kill La Kill? Mixed with like, Bayonetta?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I personally think I like the manga version of this scene, if only because I remember the fan translation of Todoroki's big line to Iida was "Never forget who you want to become!" rather than "Look properly at what you want to be!" which sounds like Todoroki is saying that is what he himself is and Iida shoulda look to Todoroki which also works but ehhhh. The pacing of it is fine imo, any time they cover more than two chapters an episode as a win to me.

Either way this scene rules for how it plays into Todoroki and Iida's character arc, Todoroki is the perfect person to help push Iida forward, not Deku here imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Zaphod42 posted:

Mic reminds me a whole lot of the dude from Ghost Trick

Midnight reminds me of somebody too but I'm not sure who... maybe a little bit of Ryuko from Kill La Kill? Mixed with like, Bayonetta?

She makes me think of a more angular Hange. Or that glasses girl from Sasuke's squad after he ditches Orochimaru.

• Locked thread