Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

nm posted:

Define normal

For people about the take the bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yes.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Sure, normal for bar failers

You'll do fine

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Pook Good Mook posted:

Are mood swings from somewhat confident to the pits of despair and back again several times per hour normal?

Now you are thinking like a real lawyer!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Roger_Mudd posted:

Now you are thinking like a real lawyer!

Good news, my girlfriend said her Uncle can get me a job in his company installing wiring and HVAC in large construction projects in Vegas if I fail.

So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pook Good Mook posted:

Good news, my girlfriend said her Uncle can get me a job in his company installing wiring and HVAC in large construction projects in Vegas if I fail.

You should probably try to fail if it is union.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Pook Good Mook posted:

Are mood swings from somewhat confident to the pits of despair and back again several times per hour normal?

Yes, but don't worry, everything gets better once you start working as an attorney.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

SlyFrog posted:

Yes, but don't worry, everything gets better once you start working as an attorney.

Hasn't lost his sense of humor. Respect.

Last full day of studying done, poured a high west double rye. Might look at some things tomorrow. On the other hand, might just lay on the couch and hit the gym.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Good luck to everyone who prepared you're gonna do great.

If anyone else half assed if like me and is taking it on two weeks of prep, :lol: :rip:

My buddy i'm crashing with in st pete has a pool and jacuzzi so it'll be an alright time winging it regardless.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Do this. Get licensed. Make bank.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nm posted:

You should probably try to fail if it is union.

This is the correct answer.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Pook Good Mook posted:

You will probably make more money, have better working conditions, higher job satisfaction, and a better work-life balance working a skilled trade like that than as a lawyer.

Hth.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Guys, I had 5 trials coming up in the next three months, and in the last 2 weeks I settled them all and now I have literally nothing to do.

I called a guy about a dryer vent on my client's house.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

Guys, I had 5 trials coming up in the next three months, and in the last 2 weeks I settled them all and now I have literally nothing to do.

Sounds like someone isn't going to make billables.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

blarzgh posted:

Dude. There is a reason we settle right before trial.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Sounds like someone isn't going to make billables.

Thanks to some hard running the first 5 months of the year, I'm not worried about it.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

blarzgh posted:

Thanks to some hard running the first 5 months of the year, I'm not worried about it.

"Wait, what month is it now??" Oh yeah, it's July-- almost August, the bar is tomorrow. Holy poo poo.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

I'm actually gearing up for a big one in Dallas in September. Actually having to work. Your local probate judge (and jury) wrecked my office last week though to the tune of 1.5m.

It's nice to be busy to be honest. Only so many bills I can collect and lives I can ruin before I'm ready for litigation again.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Lol Texas procedure and evidence

"most examinees that answered incorrectly just did not know the law"

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

disjoe posted:

Yeah gotta actually know the substance on that one.

Texas has a short answer exam on day one. Like 3 lines per answer asking substantive procedural and evidence questions. Like "what is the proper objection and why".

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm actually gearing up for a big one in Dallas in September. Actually having to work. Your local probate judge (and jury) wrecked my office last week though to the tune of 1.5m.

It's nice to be busy to be honest. Only so many bills I can collect and lives I can ruin before I'm ready for litigation again.

What was the Commissioner's award?!?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

disjoe posted:

sounds like they're absolutely ready to join the bar and will fit right in

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

So I discovered that California attorneys can order a video game on juvenile dependency. If you complete it you get 2 hours of MCLE credit.

"Designed to provide attorneys with a virtual idea of what it is like to function as an attorney who represents parents and children in juvenile dependency cases. This day-in-the-life experience takes the user through three levels: the Interview room, the Courtroom and the Office. At each level, the attorney is met with challenges typically faced by attorneys each day. Depending upon a player's answers and choices, the player can earn points, be promoted or burn out and quit."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

You used to be able to get mcle credits for traffic school.
I'm now mcle exempt though, so I don't care.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Eminent Domain posted:

Depending upon a player's answers and choices, the player can earn points, be promoted or burn out and quit."
What do you have to do to burn out?

Is it like the game teaches legal triage, where if you do a really complete job, it'll decide you did too much and you're going to burn out?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I have no idea, I'll report back once I receive my copy because I am way too curious now.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

joat mon posted:

What do you have to do to burn out?

Is it like the game teaches legal triage, where if you do a really complete job, it'll decide you did too much and you're going to burn out?

I hope it's like Papers, Please where after a certain level you just hope the paperwork is right because there's too much of it to look at correctly. Periodically, your fax machine begins humming and it's the court telling you they're fining you because you hosed up too many times. If you don't complete enough cases you family starves and/or freezes to death.

Actually, come to think of it you wouldn't even need to change that many graphics to turn it into a court appointed case simulator.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

What was the Commissioner's award?!?

No clue. Presumably much lower. It was over the shopping center at 35 and the PGBT.

I'm covering a case in Galveston on Wednesday with a 2m gap and 1 day to prep. And my knee is still hosed up enough that I can't even go to the beach.

But at least I'm not taking the bar.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

GamingHyena posted:

I hope it's like Papers, Please where after a certain level you just hope the paperwork is right because there's too much of it to look at correctly. Periodically, your fax machine begins humming and it's the court telling you they're fining you because you hosed up too many times. If you don't complete enough cases you family starves and/or freezes to death.

Actually, come to think of it you wouldn't even need to change that many graphics to turn it into a court appointed case simulator.

Do you:

*Persuade your client to take the generous plea offer
*Threaten your client that you will withdraw from the case if he doesn't take the plea offer
*Tell your client to ignore the plea offer and go to trial

------

Your client has rejected your attempt to persuade him to take the generous plea offer, stating that the video and fingerprints are forgeries, and his signed confession should be invalid because he was high at the time.

Do you:

*Go to trial
*Attempt to withdraw from the case
*File a completely bullshit motion in an attempt to buy time or have the prosecutor get bored, but risk sanctions

--------

You have decided to go to trial.

The court informs you that you have exceeded the fee cap for court-appointed cases, and it will no longer pay any additional billing. Also, your client has attacked someone while incarcerated, and faces additional charges. The power has been cut off in your apartment, and winter is coming.

Do you:

*Giggle, then cry
*Seek solace in whiskey, your only friend
*Start a small fire in your apartment using the stack of student loan bills on your desk

-------

You and whiskey have a grand evening, and getting physically thrown out of the strip club was totally a case of mistaken identity.

Your inability to pay the electrical bill has caused your family to freeze to death. Your score for this round: 207. Restart: Y/N?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
In two weeks I have a evidentiary discipline hearing and 12 hearings that decide if we will proceed with the disciplinary process or not. (I'm on the grievance panel).

I'm mad with power.

Go to law school, pass the bar, get disbarred by a goon.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Good luck to everyone taking the bar this week. I hope you all fail so you have a chance at a happy fulfilling career and life unlike the rest of the thread.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
Good luck you poor dumb fuckers!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

No clue. Presumably much lower. It was over the shopping center at 35 and the PGBT.

I'm covering a case in Galveston on Wednesday with a 2m gap and 1 day to prep. And my knee is still hosed up enough that I can't even go to the beach.

But at least I'm not taking the bar.

Nothing in Galveston is worth 2 million dollars. (Put this in your opening.)

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Edit: ^^^ what about Speedy Moving Co?

What powers do I have to get the emails posted? Subpoenas? Contempt of Thread charges? Collective Shaming?

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Day 1 of 3 in the books. Thought it went well. Softest froze on me but it was during the procedure/evidence questions and not the MPT so no harm. Here's so hoping that doesn't happen again on Thursday during the essays.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Lots of people pissed at the FL bar as 2 of the 3 essay exams covered poo poo that is rarely ever covered on essays. Namely one question dealt with nothing but secured transactions and commercial paper while another was entirely about parental rights following abandoning a baby at a fire station.

There were zero questions that covered hearsay and i'm not even sure there was a single evidence question at all in the MC.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Question for anyone here in the know: Does anyone know or have heard of someone who "read the law" and is now a lawyer? I just found out the state I live in is one of the few states that allows this. From what I understand, reading the law is when you work under and are mentored by a lawyer, and after x amount of time, you are allowed to take the bar without taking the traditional route of going to law school. This sounds interesting, and I was wondering how common it actually is, especially today. From what I read in the OP, it sounds like lawyer culture would be pretty dismissive of someone who got their license this way.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

crack mayor posted:

Question for anyone here in the know: Does anyone know or have heard of someone who "read the law" and is now a lawyer? I just found out the state I live in is one of the few states that allows this. From what I understand, reading the law is when you work under and are mentored by a lawyer, and after x amount of time, you are allowed to take the bar without taking the traditional route of going to law school. This sounds interesting, and I was wondering how common it actually is, especially today. From what I read in the OP, it sounds like lawyer culture would be pretty dismissive of someone who got their license this way.

If I remember correctly there are very few states that allow this anymore.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Survived day 1/3 of the NY+MA bars. Walked out feeling like nothing was a disaster, and pretty good about some parts. I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

crack mayor posted:

I did, as HDD91 enjoys pointing out. I clerked for Henry deBracton though, so your leagueage may vary.

CA, VA, VT and WA allow it in various (restricted) forms.