Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol i didn't know much about the geography of all these places and it turns out dragonstone is like right off the coast from king's landing? why the gently caress wouldn't you just go right for it from the get go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

WampaLord posted:

The bad pussy.

Well the good girl Nymeria already rejected her so that makes sense I guess.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Groovelord Neato posted:

wouldn't it have made more sense for euron's fleet to pillage the dornish coast causing yara and co to have to go out and find him and then have him lay some trap instead of it just being totally random in the middle of the night and impossible for him to have found them and attacked them.

Yeah I really hope like someone suggested before one of Yara's guys turns out to have been working for Euron sending him information on what they were up to otherwise that doesn't make much sense.

Speaking of random ironborn, did I see the guy who was with Theon at Winterfell with Euron? The one who knocks Theon out after his big speech. I could've sworn there was a close up of a guy who was fighting's face and it was him.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol i didn't know much about the geography of all these places and it turns out dragonstone is like right off the coast from king's landing? why the gently caress wouldn't you just go right for it from the get go.

Tyrion wants to minimize civilian casualties.

Not that it would end the war. If she gets the lords on her side, she can rule from Riverrun or Casterly Rock.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Speaking of random ironborn, did I see the guy who was with Theon at Winterfell with Euron? The one who knocks Theon out after his big speech. I could've sworn there was a close up of a guy who was fighting's face and it was him.

Ramsey said he killed them all after they surrendered.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lycus posted:

Tyrion wants to minimize civilian casualties.

more people would die from a lengthy war.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
The peasants in KL will adore Dany for starving them to death via protracted siege.

Tyrion has been, like, a Victarion/Hodor-caliber idiot for years now on the show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Groovelord Neato posted:

more people would die from a lengthy war.

But again, that wouldn't end the war. It's not Capture the Flag. And if more people​ join Cersei because she's the-devil-you-know, then that prolongs the war.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

kater posted:

The hot pie scene ruled and I found it pretty touching but it was kind of confusing. Like arya didn't think Jon was dead did she? The only thing really different is he's few miles south. She's got no reason to distrust the nights watch does she? The only one she knew kicked total rear end.

No but she was surprised to hear that Winterfell had been retaken by Jon.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The one thing I felt was missing from the Hot Pie scene was her asking if he had heard anything about Gendry. Which was doubly weird since he's coming back. Those three were the crew.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Euron must be dropping that warlock pcp off screen

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Im late but this is not how I pictured Euron looking or acting. He's like a medieval PUA or something?

Victarions gonna be rocking a string tank top at this rate.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Tyrion opting for starvation sanctionssiege instead of fiery death shows he's a swell progressive-minded dude.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I do like that Tyrion's masterplan is one that way back in season one, Jorah said was the single worst tactic to use the Dothraki for.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

I do like that Tyrion's masterplan is one that way back in season one, Jorah said was the single worst tactic to use the Dothraki for.

He said something about the Dothraki?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
When is that ripped blacksmithing kid going to drop hammer on fools? That's all I give a poo poo about now. Make the rest of the show a beefcake 19 year old dude wearing a bull hat single handedly annihilating everyone that crosses his path.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

This is probably the same outline as the books but after five years of Tyrion The Nice we can't just see it as him using all this bullshit simply to take what is rightfully his.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JBP posted:

When is that ripped blacksmithing kid going to drop hammer on fools? That's all I give a poo poo about now. Make the rest of the show a beefcake 19 year old dude wearing a bull hat single handedly annihilating everyone that crosses his path.

I made this post in a previous incarnation of this thread, but here's my idea for a season (not series) finale:

FADE UP ON WATER OUTSIDE KING'S LANDING

We see nothing at first, just the calm water. From offscreen, we hear the sounds of rowing. Then a boat enters the frame. The rower is Gendry, his arms are now loving massive. Perhaps he is singing a song to himself.

He rows up to land, parks the boat, hops off and looks up at the Red Keep and starts to smile.

SMASH TO CREDITS

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WampaLord posted:

I made this post in a previous incarnation of this thread, but here's my idea for a season (not series) finale:

FADE UP ON WATER OUTSIDE KING'S LANDING

We see nothing at first, just the calm water. From offscreen, we hear the sounds of rowing. Then a boat enters the frame. The rower is Gendry, his arms are now loving massive. Perhaps he is singing a song to himself.

He rows up to land, parks the boat, hops off and looks up at the Red Keep and starts to smile.

SMASH TO CREDITS

You nailed it.

He also needs to fight the zombie robot Mountain and fell him with one blow within the first six seconds then raise his massive arms and hammer yelling "IT'S GOOD TO BE KING".

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 25, 2017

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I just got around to reading the spoilers in the OP. I can confirm they are all true.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

lezard_valeth posted:

I just got around to reading the spoilers in the OP. I can confirm they are all true.

Why would you do that? Now when you watch the show you'll be even more bored than you were while watching 1 and 2.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The spoilers aren't exactly wildly unpredictable surprises.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

One thing that I didn't get was whether Euron attacked on their way to Dorne or on their way back from Dorne. Not that it matters much because Dorne never mattered much, but I want to know just exactly how underwhelmed I should feel that this multi nation coalition died before it could do anything cool against an opponent that it shouldn't have had any trouble with.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't think the Dothraki know how to siege, and they don't want to use them for fighting so what the hell is their purpose

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GrandpaPants posted:

One thing that I didn't get was whether Euron attacked on their way to Dorne or on their way back from Dorne. Not that it matters much because Dorne never mattered much, but I want to know just exactly how underwhelmed I should feel that this multi nation coalition died before it could do anything cool against an opponent that it shouldn't have had any trouble with.

Yeah. We knew that was coming, just not when. They were on the way to Dorne because the Dornish woman is asking whether Greyjoy had ever been before. It does feel like a really stupid cop out since this Euron dude raised a fleet that is bigger and better than Yara's very quickly and without the audience knowing it was even an undertaking (unless i missed something, which is likely). You'd also assume Yara had a loving massive fleet of ships given the army she helped to convey.

So now Dragon Mountain or whatever has a bunch of elite Ghilman dudes and barbarian light cavalry milling around eating ??????? and occupying themselves by ????????? without access to regular army or a fleet.

Vegetable posted:

I don't think the Dothraki know how to siege, and they don't want to use them for fighting so what the hell is their purpose

I think they were going to send them to fight at Casterly Rock and I assume you'd expect some field engagements along the way. They'd be useful for guarding Big Worm's flanks on the way there at the very least.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

JBP posted:

This.

The spoilers mix the exact amount of stupid with equal amounts of nothing happens to be entirely believable and thus probably true.

After "...and then a huge wall of dead forms trapping Jon Snow" I learned never to doubt GoT spoilers again.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

JBP posted:

Yeah. We knew that was coming, just not when. They were on the way to Dorne because the Dornish woman is asking whether Greyjoy had ever been before. It does feel like a really stupid cop out since this Euron dude raised a fleet that is bigger and better than Yara's very quickly and without the audience knowing it was even an undertaking (unless i missed something, which is likely). You'd also assume Yara had a loving massive fleet of ships given the army she helped to convey.

So now Dragon Mountain or whatever has a bunch of elite Ghilman dudes and barbarian light cavalry milling around eating ??????? and occupying themselves by ????????? without access to regular army or a fleet.

I think they were going to send them to fight at Casterly Rock and I assume you'd expect some field engagements along the way. They'd be useful for guarding Big Worm's flanks on the way there at the very least.

Casterly Rock is coastal

Also sailing to Casterly Rock takes the exact same route as sailing to Dorn. Or to Highgarden.

gently caress, for that matter sailing to Dragonstone takes you past Dorn.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

i81icu812 posted:

Casterly Rock is coastal

Is it? I thought it was in-land and it's nearest port was called Lanisport.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Well Euron did use his first command as king to tell everyone to start building a fleet. Still doesn't explain how they how enough wood or man power to make 1000 ships or whatever.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Vegetable posted:

To intercept armies sent to lift sieges?

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

It's coastal. Lannisport is nearby and also coastal.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

It's both.

Casterly Rock is a huge rear end mountain right next to the sea. Lannisport is the nearest port right at the foot of said big rear end mountain.

For reference, the mountain is said to be twice as big as the Wall or Oldtown's tower

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Casterly Rock, nicknamed the Rock, is a castle and the seat of House Lannister. The capital of the westerlands, it overlooks the harbor of Lannisport and the Sunset Sea. Nearby strongholds include Kayce and Feastfires to the west, Sarsfield to the north, and Cornfield and Clegane's Keep to the south.

Layout
Casterly Rock overlooking Lannisport by Feliche ©

See also: Images of Casterly Rock

Casterly Rock is carved out of a great stone hill colossal rock beside the Sunset Sea. It is popularly believed to resemble a lion in repose at sunset.[2]

The Casterlys of antiquity built a ringfort on the peak, and as millenia have passed its natural defenses have been expanded with walls, gates, and watchtowers.[3] The base of the Rock contains large sea-carved caverns. The stone has been mined for thousands of years, so there are hundreds of mineshafts in the depths of the Rock, as well as yet untouched gold veins.[3]

The Rock has been measured at three times the height of the Wall or the Hightower of Oldtown. It is almost two leagues long from west to east, and contains tunnels, dungeons, storerooms, barracks, halls, stables, stairways, courtyards, balconies, and gardens.[3] In the bowels of the Rock are rooms where caged lions were once kept,[4] and cells for the worst prisoners.[5] The castle contains a sept.[6]

The Lion's Mouth, the main entry to Casterly Rock, is an enormous natural cavern reaching two hundred feet high. Its steps are now wide enough for twenty riders. Its port has docks, wharves, and shipyards and is accessible by longships and cogs.[3] From below the Rock thunder can be heard, where the sea comes in.[7]

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Lycus posted:

To intercept armies sent to lift sieges?

It's coastal. Lannisport is nearby and also coastal.

To punch open hands, didn't you watch the first season?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

JBP posted:

Sand Snakes dying last episode was a nice cool surprise that I enjoyed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

i81icu812 posted:

Casterly Rock is coastal

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I looked at a map like a nerd. They're like the same major city centre and Lanisport services the slightly more inland Rock (which is still a coastal city).

You have to walk past Kings Landing to get there or sail all the way around. How on loving earth they intend to service an attack on Casterly Rock is beyond belief. It makes sense to march over there since its a short deployment from Dragonstone to shore in the Stormlands and then you'd be serviced by the friendlies in that area. Sailing around seems like a loving cool way to end up stranded on the other side of the continent with enemy armies stopping supply while you try to siege a castle. I guess the dragons mean they can trash the place, but what's the point of doing that when you can spit on Kings Landing from Dragonstone.

Anyway now they're all trapped on some shithole island with no fleet so it doesn't even matter.

some guy on the bus posted:

Sand Snakes dying last episode was a nice cool surprise that I enjoyed.

I don't bat an eyelid at deaths because they always feel like lazy ways to end potentially complicated story arcs before they even start or even worse they're just there to make the viewer get all huffy and cry no at the tv.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

3x the wall what is that like 2500 ft tall or so? I cant remember the wall height exactly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RecoomesSexyRear posted:

3x the wall what is that like 2500 ft tall or so? I cant remember the wall height exactly.

An even seven hundo I thing

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
And GRRM himself said in one interview that he didn't think that 700 ft was too tall until the show.

Martin was surprised by the height and thought:

GRRM posted:

Oh I may have made the wall too big

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Calaveron posted:

An even seven hundo I thing

That's the height of the fuckin Hoover dam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The giza pyramid is 455 feet tall and they didn't even have magic back then so 700 doesn't seem that off to me

• Locked thread