Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I agree, but we're talking 7 days here. I'd also say it's pretty dumb to buy the Pixel right now unless it was a significant discount.

Eh, depends on who you are. The pixel will still be a good phone a year from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
And the G5+ will still be a $300AUD phone a year from now, in fact the AU market may not even see the G5S.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Google Butt posted:

or you want a headphone jack

Or you want one that won't bootloop in a year.

Lots of reasons to buy the best Android phone right now if you ask me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speaking of which, XDA's just figured out how to get bootlooped 6Ps working again, and some users are now reporting the same fix method works for the 5X. It involves turning off the high-performance cores of the chip: looks like the Snapdragon 808/810 family strikes again.

Wild speculation at this point, but it may just end up being that the physical structure of the bootloopy phones were more prone to leading to the thermal conditions which caused the A57 cores to become broken in that specific bootloop-inducing way.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 24, 2017

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

LastInLine posted:

Or you want one that won't bootloop in a year.

Lots of reasons to buy the best Android phone right now if you ask me.

The pixel xl is the best Android phone right now

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Google Butt posted:

The pixel non-xl is the best Android phone right now

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Welp, the wife's 5x rebooted itself and never turned back on. That's 2/2 in this household over the course of about 18 months. We ordered a G5+ to hold her over until the Pixel 2s come out.

Really like the 5x otherwise, but man at this point it seems to basically be a guarantee that you're going to run into bootloop problems.

my 5x is about 20 months old now :ohdear:

honestly don't know what I want to get if this dies on me. Pixel weren't available in Norway, and even if they were I cannot justify ponying up more than what an iPhone costs, knowing Google only supports their phones for half as long as Apple does. I don't like Samsung, I am hesitant to ever touch LG again with all their bootloops in mind, and I'll never touch any of the chinese phones either. I want to have a fingerprint scanner so Sony's out of the picture, and I've heard Motorola phones have poo poo camera (confirm/deny).

ulvir fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 24, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ulvir posted:

honestly don't know what I want to get if this dies on me. Pixel weren't available in Norway, and even if they were I cannot justify ponying up more than what an iPhone costs, knowing Google only supports their phones for half as long as Apple does. I don't like Samsung, I am hesitant to ever touch LG again with all their bootloops in mind, and I'll never touch any of the chinese phones either. I want to have a fingerprint scanner so Sony's out of the picture, and I've heard Motorola phones have poo poo camera (confirm/deny).

The Moto G camera is passable, but not great. Still for what you get at the price they are, they're hard to beat.

You might have better luck with the more expensive Motos but then you're right back where you didn't want to be which is paying too much for a mediocre phone knowing the Pixel is out there.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Internet Explorer posted:

bootloop problems.

If you're having bootloop problems I feel bad for you son, my phone has 99 problems but bootloops ain't one.

Trip reporting on my g5+ to make up for the above:
Got it almost 8 weeks now. Bought the 3gb/32gb European variant from Amazon for 274,10€, coming from a 3+ year old Nexus5.

The phone feels fast, or at least always fast enough. I haven't noticed any slowdowns, which coming from the slowly dieing n5 is probably an easy task yet still very pleasant.

The battery life is really good, lasting me 2 days on my normal everyday use and the whole day when using it heavily.

The screen is nice, if maybe a bit unsaturated compared to the n5. I set the auto-brightness higher than on the n5 as it seems to be more aggressive. It's 1080p which is enough in my opinion, though looks better than the n5 which had some sort of horizontal screen door effect.

The camera exists in a quantum state between pretty OK and dog poo poo. With the n5 always making photos with quality somewhere in the middle, the g5+ is a different experience where some images will come out basically unusable, half not that good and the rest kinda nice. The camera is terrible at low light shots (basically just as bad as the nexus was). Remember those pictures taken at night with a Pixel? Yeah not like those at all. Any bright object like a lamp will ruin your day night. If you want/need a phone that will always take a good photo, this is not the one for you. If you already got a g5+ and need to take a good picture, take 1 or 10 more shots than you think you need and also hope it's not night, because if so you're hosed.
It does shoot 120fps slow-motion video, though tiny (720p) or 30fps 4k video ( but afaict there is no image stabilization so good luck with that).

Among the smaller downsides is the mono, top front-speaker which is a bit distracting watching in landscape. On the other hand coming from an n5 with its speaker at the bottom side of the device, it's an improvement I guess.

My 3gb variant also does not seem to have a compass for some reason which is the weirdest, most unnecessary and annoying lack of a feature I have ever had. Like what could it possibly cost. A dollar? Just why? Gotta read the specs more carefully next time.
I mean it doesn't matter if you're using turn by turn in a car as gmaps will compensate but using it on foot is really stupid with the pointer always showing north instead of where you're going.

Oh and while it's bootlooping it did restart twice for no reason yesterday. I hope it'll stay at that. May be from the security update from the week before that updated me from January 1st to May 1st. Yeah don't expect monthly updates.

All in all it's better than a 3 year old nexus 5. And while that isn't a very high bar to clear it's probably enough for a lot of people who just want a phone that is not poo poo. And for me it's enough until the Pixel 2. Maybe even 3 if it's poo poo.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 24, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's funny how much I don't care about photos and also how unwilling I am to give up having a good camera now that I have one.

I think its just because when I do want to take a photo a few times a month, there's not much fuckin around...I just take the photo, it's good and in focus, and I move on. Usually it's a "utility" photo...some hand written notes, or a sign, or a book cover...stuff like that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

It's funny how much I don't care about photos and also how unwilling I am to give up having a good camera now that I have one.

I think its just because when I do want to take a photo a few times a month, there's not much fuckin around...I just take the photo, it's good and in focus, and I move on. Usually it's a "utility" photo...some hand written notes, or a sign, or a book cover...stuff like that.

If that's really all you use it for, any camera will be fine. The high end cameras are just better at action shots, low light, children and pets, fine detail, etc. Anything will do a good enough job to make handwritten notes legible.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RVProfootballer posted:

If that's really all you use it for, any camera will be fine. The high end cameras are just better at action shots, low light, children and pets, fine detail, etc. Anything will do a good enough job to make handwritten notes legible.

There's something to be said for the need of detail when one's handwriting is absolute poo poo and you need those fine nuances when you're squinting at what might be a C, E, J, F, or possibly a Z

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RVProfootballer posted:

No, any camera is not fine. That sort of stuff is just faster and easier with a good camera. Low light (basically anywhere indoors) shots in particular are hard to get in-focus and high detail with a lot of not-high-end cameras.

edit: To be clear, the issue isn't so much the ability to get a good enough shot, the issue is getting it fast without fiddling around.

Also wanted to add that The Verge has decided the S8 is the best phone you can buy right now.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 24, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ulvir posted:

Google supports their first party phones way, way longer than pretty much any 3rd party android manufacturer does. If you want something supported for as long as an iPhone, then get an iPhone.

Sony's Xperia XZ line all have fingerprint scanners on them according to the GSMarena specs.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Also wanted to add that The Verge has decided the S8 is the best phone you can buy right now.

During the eight months between the release of the newest Samsung flagship and the next iPhone, the Verge will tell you the newest Samsung flagship is the best phone you can buy. During the four months between the release of the newest IPhone and the next Samsung flagship, the Verge will tell you the newest iPhone is the best phone you can buy.

There, now you never have to read another Verge "The best phone you can buy right now" article ever again.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

MikeJF posted:

Speaking of which, XDA's just figured out how to get bootlooped 6Ps working again, and some users are now reporting the same fix method works for the 5X. It involves turning off the high-performance cores of the chip: looks like the Snapdragon 808/810 family strikes again.

Wild speculation at this point, but it may just end up being that the physical structure of the bootloopy phones were more prone to leading to the thermal conditions which caused the A57 cores to become broken in that specific bootloop-inducing way.

no bootloop problems for me yet but with how hot this thing gets I'm not going to be surprised if it happens

shame that means I'll have to spend money on something cheapo until the pixel 2 comes out

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The 810 is a goddamn heater

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

MikeJF posted:

That's what I was thinking from the get-go. On my G4 the high-end performance of my phone actually worsened over time significantly to the point where benchmark scores fell way below the average. I ran another benchmark with my phone in the freezer out of curiosity and the score popped right back up. About a month after it started bootlooping. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some or all of the 808s ended up being binned 810s with two of the big cores disabled and the bootloops were just one or both of the other two big cores crapping out from manufacturing defects.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Developer preview 4 is out and it's noted that 'O' release is described as 'imminent'. They have clearly stated 'later this summer' for release.

So, that should mean before September 22nd.

The $50,000 question is, will they be launching hardware with it?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

The $50,000 question is, will they be launching hardware with it?

Nope. They didn't launch hardware with N either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

True, I had forgotten that N came out in August last year.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Yeah, the Pixels 2 won't ship until October (or significantly later than that, depending on how quickly you can mash the order button) to avoid iPhone hype season.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Running DP4 now and I still don't have keyboard input on the drat assistant.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Combat Pretzel posted:

:same:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I got it like the day after they said they were going to roll it out. This is because Google loves and cares for me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Better not be some regional bullshit like I'm already dealing with over on Play Music, restricting features for no goddamn reason.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm so tempted to order a Pixel XL because I know that even if backordered I'm out of the country and will probably have it waiting for me by the time I get home but also why am I going to pay full price for something that will be uh, "outdated" in a couple of months

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Looks like the 4th preview got rid of the "app running in background" persistent notification, thank the sweetest little infant baby jesus

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not running beta software and I don't have it either. Not regional unless it's regions of my bed, my girlfriend has it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

logikv9 posted:

no bootloop problems for me yet but with how hot this thing gets I'm not going to be surprised if it happens

shame that means I'll have to spend money on something cheapo until the pixel 2 comes out

I have a Z5 and it's an 810 phone (and gets drat hot), but it's not got a bootloop rep as far as I know. That said, I know Sony made a big deal over the advanced cooling and liquid heatpipes, so maybe that mitigates potential issues enough to avoid frying the chip.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

I'm not running beta software and I don't have it either. Not regional unless it's regions of my bed, my girlfriend has it.

Have you considered switching sides?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Have you considered switching sides?

Have you ever seen Paranormal Activity? If you haven't, the conceit of the film is that there's this demon bothering this dude's wife mainly while she's sleeping so he sets up this camera to record the weird poo poo that happens while they're sleeping. The angle is from the ceiling at the foot of the bed with the entry door on the left of the frame, then the bed. She sleeps on the door side and he on the far side.

Sure enough, there is a demon messing with her but at no time does this douchebro ever offer to switch sides of the bed so that he's on the demon side and she's at least got a person between her and the demon.

tl;dr: I have the non-demon side of the bed and I'm not giving it up.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Taffer posted:

I've never used more than 16gb of storage on a phone ama

The cloud is actually good and can store whatever crap you have. Photos, music, videos, audio books, random files.

It's faster and easier to access it that way than keeping that data on your file system. Even on my desktop I don't store important files, just programs and games and crap like that. All instantly replaceable.

Word. I have a 50/50 fiber connection at work, 1000/1000 fiber connection at home, unlimited LTE on my phone and tablet. I currently pay for 1TB of storage with Google and my primary computer is a Chromebook because gently caress it, you can throw all my devices in the pool and I will be up and going in a few hours with all my data.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Have you ever seen Paranormal Activity? If you haven't, the conceit of the film is that there's this demon bothering this dude's wife mainly while she's sleeping so he sets up this camera to record the weird poo poo that happens while they're sleeping. The angle is from the ceiling at the foot of the bed with the entry door on the left of the frame, then the bed. She sleeps on the door side and he on the far side.

Sure enough, there is a demon messing with her but at no time does this douchebro ever offer to switch sides of the bed so that he's on the demon side and she's at least got a person between her and the demon.

tl;dr: I have the non-demon side of the bed and I'm not giving it up.

Well played.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Granted I'm just using the regular 7.1.2 version on the Pixel XL but there's my keyboard input on assistant.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Complete smartphone noob here. Just bought my first, a Samsung Galaxy J7 Perx running 7.0. I think I have things decently set up on it, but I have a few questions that I'm far too lazy to google:

1) Those square dot-matrix-like barcode things? I know they have a proper name but I have forgotten it. Are those still used for anything and how exactly do you scan them?

2) Are extensions possible in the mobile version of Chrome? I didn't see an option anywhere. I really don't want to browse without uBlock Origin. My phone came with another browser, some Samsung thing, which does have an extensions menu, should I use that instead?

3) Any security apps that are must-have? Anything special I need to do to not get bombarded by viruses and trojans and poo poo (aside from the usual safe browsing habits)? I already went through and uninstalled everything that my carrier pre-loaded and disabled most of the stuff I can do via browser.

4) Recommendations for a music library app (alternative to Google Play Music)? I'm kind of old and basic so I have a ton of mp3s/aacs/flacs that I listen to via Windows Media Player on my PC and plan to have all of those on a microSD for the phone. Something with a bass-boost setting (like WMP's SRS options) would be good, but I think I saw somewhere in audio settings you can adjust that?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

According to everything I'm reading, I'm going to have to root my 6P just to make sure I can salvage it when it goes tits up in a few months. Can't say I'm entirely happy with that state of affairs.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

1) QR Code. They're infrequently used in the west, but rumbles of them taking off again with smartphones being more prevalent than the first time they tried to mainstream them. Google Goggles will read them.

2) No. Samsung Browser or Mobile Firefox are good options.

3) Never install poo poo outside of the Play Store. Anti virus and malware poo poo for mobile is basically snake oil. Super engrishy descriptions, especially copycats of popular apps are almost assuredly malware. It's possible to get a virus before the play store catches it, but unlikely.

4) No idea.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ofecks posted:

4) Recommendations for a music library app (alternative to Google Play Music)? I'm kind of old and basic so I have a ton of mp3s/aacs/flacs that I listen to via Windows Media Player on my PC and plan to have all of those on a microSD for the phone. Something with a bass-boost setting (like WMP's SRS options) would be good, but I think I saw somewhere in audio settings you can adjust that?

Try powerAmp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'll never understand the gold color on phones and laptops