Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there currently a way to order the 2nd printing of Gloomhaven? It seems like it's in a weird valley right now between kickstarter and shipping.

I might try Descent first and then move on to Gloomhaven later. I'm trying to ease my wife into RPG's and it looks like Gloomhaven might be a little complex -- she's still at, like, "Settlers of Catan is fun but really complicated" level. She liked Hero Quest because it was very simple and straightforward.

From what I've seen of gloomhaven and my experience with Descent is the more fiddly game, Gloomhaven is a more elegant game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I've been chasing the Hero Quest dragon for a while now, and while there are some good crawlers out there (I haven't played Gloomhaven yet but that's probably going to change), none have captured the sense of Adventure in the same way Hero Quest did.
There are plenty of clever ways to kill monsters, but none that have all the secret doors and treasures you can find by searching a room, the traps you can run in to, or the unique events that happen in certain circumstances, that made HQ feel more like an adventure and less like you're a Dungeon SWAT team.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Texmo posted:

I've been chasing the Hero Quest dragon for a while now, and while there are some good crawlers out there (I haven't played Gloomhaven yet but that's probably going to change), none have captured the sense of Adventure in the same way Hero Quest did.
There are plenty of clever ways to kill monsters, but none that have all the secret doors and treasures you can find by searching a room, the traps you can run in to, or the unique events that happen in certain circumstances, that made HQ feel more like an adventure and less like you're a Dungeon SWAT team.

There was something in the air in the 80's. They don't make geekery today like they did then.

I don't want to order Hero Quest though 'cause my friend already did and I'm pretty sure running that game is going to be his baby, so happy to let him keep DM'ing it. Unfortunately I can't figure out a way to order Gloomhaven 2nd edition right now, so I went ahead and ordered Descent 2nd ed for now, figure we can run a few games using the app and then move on to Gloomhaven once it's order-able again.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

There was something in the air in the 80's. They don't make geekery today like they did then.

I don't want to order Hero Quest though 'cause my friend already did and I'm pretty sure running that game is going to be his baby, so happy to let him keep DM'ing it. Unfortunately I can't figure out a way to order Gloomhaven 2nd edition right now, so I went ahead and ordered Descent 2nd ed for now, figure we can run a few games using the app and then move on to Gloomhaven once it's order-able again.

https://www.gamenerdz.com/gloomhaven-second-printing-preorder

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rumda posted:

From what I've seen of gloomhaven and my experience with Descent is the more fiddly game, Gloomhaven is a more elegant game.

Descent's advantages are that one can buy it right now in a store and also not spend $100 on it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
People recommend (or at least used to recommend?) the d&d adventure board games as a decent fantasy swat simulator. It is a very simple game (dunno if the Privateer Press dungeon crawlers are even simpler or just about the same) and of course it doesn't even reach GH's ankles regarding design quality but it may be what you are looking for?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Big "out of stock" button there

Is it "preorder" and they're already out of stock of their allocated preorder or is it only out of stock because it's not printed yet?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

homullus posted:

Descent's advantages are that one can buy it right now in a store and also not spend $100 on it.

I'll give you the "is currently in stock" thing, and I guess if you need a dungeon crawler for $60-70 and can't stretch any further than that, fair enough. But you'd have to spend way more than $100 (or even $140, which is going to be the MSRP) on Descent to get anything like as much content as you get in Gloomhaven.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Azran posted:

People recommend (or at least used to recommend?) the d&d adventure board games as a decent fantasy swat simulator. It is a very simple game (dunno if the Privateer Press dungeon crawlers are even simpler or just about the same) and of course it doesn't even reach GH's ankles regarding design quality but it may be what you are looking for?

They've really grown on me. They're incredibly fast, to the point that each game takes maybe an hour at most and you just run around like a maniac bashing monsters and grabbing loot. They do a really cool job of abstracting away a lot of the stuff that bogs down Descent and its ilk. I wish more games would adapt the simple damage and health models they use, and the AI is actually awesome, both for its speed and the way it lets players tweak the difficulty by letting the players have a hand in the monster behavior.

They are very, very simple games though. Tactics are minimal, scenarios are repetitive, poo poo can be random as hell and some people will be driven insane by how much the game sometimes leaves up to the players.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

the tiny furniture was the best, man I wish that hadn't disappeared from my dad's house

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

dishwasherlove posted:

I love Neuroshima Hex but the app ruined me. You can breeze through a game with the computer taking care of all the housekeeping so now it's a slog to play IRL.

This got me to pick up the app because I need something for bus rides besides Race for the Galaxy.

I *really* suck at Neuroshima Hex.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Big "out of stock" button there

Is it "preorder" and they're already out of stock of their allocated preorder or is it only out of stock because it's not printed yet?

Good point, I bet they sold out. I wonder if there will be a third kickstarter since demand doesn't appear to be waning.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

Good point, I bet they sold out. I wonder if there will be a third kickstarter since demand doesn't appear to be waning.

It's going retail soon after the the kickstarter editions go out, iirc it will be around $150.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

The Lord of Hats posted:

This got me to pick up the app because I need something for bus rides besides Race for the Galaxy.

I *really* suck at Neuroshima Hex.

The AI will kick your rear end for a while, but you'll get there pretty quickly. The app is great and if you get hooked like I did, the expansions are just a few bucks and most of them are pretty cool.

Speaking of apps kicking my rear end, the Tigris and Euphrates app has been kicking my beginner butt. drat this is a cool game - I may need to buy the real thing to play with actual humans.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I apologize to FFG for saying they write bad rulebooks because I played TMNT Out of Shadows or whatever and the rulebook is horrendous. Instead of there being a FAQ or whatever you can turn to the forums where I guess the sole designer regularly posts to tell people what'sup. Just basic rear end questions like "do my special powers turn off when I'm knocked out" which your gaming instincts tell you yes, and the rules suggest they do but they're actually referring to the player's cards and not your intrinsic character abilities. So yes, this bad guy that can inspire people near him will continue to do so even though he's face first seeing stars.

It's otherwise a competent campaign based skirmish game with zero character building and a neat shared dice system but it doesn't really elevate it above mediocre.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Low player count Captain Sonar coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zglc3OI3H0

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I tried to play captain sonar at the same weekend party we played Hero Quest at. Unfortunately my brilliant "let's draw a dong" strat was not as effective as I had initially hoped.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'd say that of the two, Mansions of Madness 2e blows Descent 2e out of the water. If you're not married to a fantasy theme, I'd recommend Mansions first in a heartbeat. Though obviously if you can hold on for a couple of months Gloomhaven sounds like it'll beat all comers.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

This looks like a less interesting idea than Captain Sonar that could be a much better game in practice, but probably only at exactly 4. 3 would be weird and 2 could be a turn-based slog.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

CaptainRightful posted:

This looks like a less interesting idea than Captain Sonar that could be a much better game in practice, but probably only at exactly 4. 3 would be weird and 2 could be a turn-based slog.
Yeah. Captain Sonar is a brilliant idea for a game. Unfortunately, it requires a perfect storm of 8 players who can communicate well and who enjoy real-time games, as well as a quiet environment.

I think this new version will be much more playable.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Looks like you could easily play it with the components for captain sonar so perhaps give it a whirl. I will if I get 4 together soon.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

8p sonar was great, loving saved. It was like off line project Artemis.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Some day I too will have 8 people I like well enough to play games like Captain Sonar with them.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Scyther posted:

Some day I too will have 8 people I like well enough to play games like Captain Sonar with them.

According to the details online it's 2-8 players, is it just poo poo with less than 8 or something because I'd not heard of it and it looks cool

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kitchner posted:

According to the details online it's 2-8 players, is it just poo poo with less than 8 or something because I'd not heard of it and it looks cool

Two teams, 1 to four people per team, four jobs on each team that need doing relatively simultaneously. You could probably play it with 2 people who understand the game but it's best with 8.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Kitchner posted:

It's not poo poo but it's not the full experience. When you are playing with less than 8, because there are still 4 roles per team, players have to perform double duty. I think the game is workable with 6 players, with 3, both players have too much to do and with 2 players the game is unplayable unless you play the turn-based version of it. You don't really get the full experience unless you play with 8 players.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
It's pretty good with six. The problem is the first mate position is slightly undercooked so it's a weak for a full time job in 8 but it's not great to have it combined with the captain in 6.

I'm actually debating a subtle house rule to make it only the first mate can launch sonar and drones.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Captain Sonar is kind of a white whale game in that getting eight people together in an environment where games are going to get played is rare enough, but when it clicks it clicks man. We've had epic Hunt of Red October sessions with people telling tales of near misses and frantic escapes. Also, the first Metal Gear Solid soundtrack is top-tier for throwing on in the background. Just loop some of the sneakier tracks. Bonus points for having a DJ to throw on the alert tracks when someone gets the scent. Someone posted earlier too that you can give the first mate more to do by playing it so that the captain says the orders to him and he gets to shout it out for the rest of the crew to hear.

Not sure if this was posted or not but the kickstarter for the reprint of Argent is up now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/argent-the-consortium-2nd-ed

EDIT: $33 shipping to Canada, someone needs to get these people in touch with Isaac Childres because that seems high

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 25, 2017

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CMON's Game of Thrones miniatures game launches on kickstarter at noon pacific time.
How fast to $1 million?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

FulsomFrank posted:

Captain Sonar is kind of a white whale game in that getting eight people together in an environment where games are going to get played is rare enough, but when it clicks it clicks man. We've had epic Hunt of Red October sessions with people telling tales of near misses and frantic escapes. Also, the first Metal Gear Solid soundtrack is top-tier for throwing on in the background. Just loop some of the sneakier tracks. Bonus points for having a DJ to throw on the alert tracks when someone gets the scent. Someone posted earlier too that you can give the first mate more to do by playing it so that the captain says the orders to him and he gets to shout it out for the rest of the crew to hear.

Not sure if this was posted or not but the kickstarter for the reprint of Argent is up now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/argent-the-consortium-2nd-ed

EDIT: $33 shipping to Canada, someone needs to get these people in touch with Isaac Childres because that seems high
My first game of Captain Sonar was one where I was playing the sonar operator and was really on point in terms of positioning the opponents. The end came around with our opponents exploding a mine near us, which removed our last point of health. As the enemy team was cheering, I looked at my map, looked at where the enemy mine had exploded, and asked: "Wait, doesn't this damage you too?".

Yep, my first game ended with both subs being destroyed.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

FulsomFrank posted:

Yeah, the shipping prices are crazy and it is causing the whole thing to limp along quite badly (well that and a bit of a messy presentation )

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Istanbul is $24 on Amazon right now. Is it a game worth getting? I've heard opinions ranging from "This is a really good game everyone should own" to "Just buy Yokohama instead".

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

Goon-fund the $800 to make a Jojo character? Though what I'm really hoping for is they include a Megumin clone because she's a good fire mage.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Goon-fund the $800 to make a Jojo character? Though what I'm really hoping for is they include a Megumin clone because she's a good fire mage.

Incorrect. Megumin is no mere fire mage!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sorry, I forgot. We need Arch Wizard Megumin of the Crimson Magic Clan as one of the voters.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Istanbul is $24 on Amazon right now. Is it a game worth getting? I've heard opinions ranging from "This is a really good game everyone should own" to "Just buy Yokohama instead".

Istanbul is probably my favorite light Euro. You can ship Yokohama back to Japan.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

CMON's Game of Thrones miniatures game launches on kickstarter at noon pacific time.
How fast to $1 million?

10 Hours.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ketchup vs catsup posted:

How fast to $1 million?

I love GoT and like a lot of CMON games, but this is such a snoozefest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Istanbul is a best in class light-medium Euro. Easy to explain and play with tons of strategic play. Yokohama is also a great game, but falls more on the medium-heavy end of the spectrum, is far more difficult to explain, and is much harder to play. Very different games in practice despite having similar core mechanics.