Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/kC61v2Z.jpg:nws:

:stonk:

From a bakery I follow on fb.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 07:46 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The sad part is the birthday boy said he wanted 26 cumming dicks on his cake and the bakery just misunderstood.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Solice Kirsk posted:

The sad part is the birthday boy said he wanted 26 cumming dicks on his cake and the bakery just misunderstood.

Wasn't even supposed to be an instruction for the bakery.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I get why they would make it but Facebook?!

Do you live by this store?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Haifisch posted:

iirc, food pantries don't actually want donations of food(since people donate stuff gross enough that they aren't eating it(like your 'steamed vegetables'), or unhealthy poo poo like boxed mac & cheese), but they accept them because it's easier to convince people to hand over cans with two years of dust on them than actual money. Aren't people swell?

This definitely isn't true of all food pantries and soup kitchens. The ones I've volunteered at over the years welcome pretty much anything, but are especially happy with restaurants' leftovers (that whole poo poo where your boss says you can't donate food because they could be held liable if some hobo gets sick is the biggest sack of horseshit in history), and especially, especially happy when they can convince a bakery to bag up all the end-of-day stuff daily so they can come pick it up. Costs the bakery nothing and perfectly good bread that would normally be thrown away goes to feed people who need it. Everybody wins. And seriously, being able to pack up and distribute or serve fresh bakery bread alongside a meager helping of soup and canned fruit makes a big difference.

Now, we'd never straight up say "no" to a donation, but I've got to admit that it's heartbreaking to see a company van pull up to unload a donation and find out that it's a pallet of canned peas or sauerkraut or whatever was on sale at Aldi/Lidl. They're doing it for either a tax deduction or local recognition ("We donated X tons of food this year!" yeah, don't tell the reporter that it was X tons of peas and spinach), so the least they could do is spend the money on stuff the pantry or soup kitchen actually needs.

Cash is great but for some reason people think "no they need food they are a pantry I will buy them food." Do us a favor and ask if we need anything specific (baby food baby food baby food baby food baby food) or just drop by with cash or a check for the sum of what you were going to buy. It'll save you a trip to the store, and we'll be just as grateful, I promise :)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

The Bloop posted:

I get why they would make it but Facebook?!

Do you live by this store?

That's the thing - it's a perfectly normal bakery. I am perplexed.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

maybe they're fans of Genital Jousting the videogame?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Veib posted:

How is that the real name of the thing and not something you made up, like what the gently caress mushroom scientists settle down a little will you.

The dutch name for it which literally translates to "sticky tuber amanite" is slightly less impressive.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Also was at a Mexican supermarket today, and they had Beef Lips for sale in the meat department, and now I'm curious as what the heck you'd use that kind of thing for, also the first time I've seen quail for sale anywhere
This taqueria by me has "pork maw" as a meat option for its tacos. I tried their chicharrones in green chile sauce, but instead of the lovely crunchy stuff I'm used to on tacos, they...reconstituted or something, so I wound up eating thumb-sized strips of warm pork skin in sauce. I tried not to A. chew or B. think too hard about it. I should have taken a picture for the thread.

The weird part is that "pork skin" was listed separately, as "cuerito". This gringa does not know the difference. :(

Edit: Actually, speaking of canned vegetables and poo poo, has anyone ever had canned jackfruit? I was slightly interested (I like weird fruit, but understand jackfruit is weirdly textured) until I discovered it was being touted as a vegan pulled-meat alternative. Trader Joe's included it in a display with, like, barbecue sauce and pickles. Nnnnnope.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Jul 25, 2017

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Hirayuki posted:

I tried their chicharrones in green chile sauce, but instead of the lovely crunchy stuff I'm used to on tacos, they...reconstituted or something, so I wound up eating thumb-sized strips of warm pork skin in sauce. I tried not to A. chew or B. think too hard about it. I should have taken a picture for the thread.

This is actually the more traditional Mexican way to have them when in tacos, more spongy and soft because its stewed in a sauce.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TotalLossBrain posted:

That's the thing - it's a perfectly normal bakery. I am perplexed.

"hilarious" erotic cakes that make you ashamed of your family aren't a thing in America? I could post hundreds of them erry day

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

"hilarious" erotic cakes that make you ashamed of your family aren't a thing in America? I could post hundreds of them erry day

Oh they exist but they're usually from speciality stores. And unless it's like your uncle who doesn't understand societal norms and thinks it'd be wacky to bring one to a family holiday dinner they're usually bought for like bachelorette parties or something similar

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!

Hirayuki posted:

This taqueria by me has "pork maw" as a meat option for its tacos. I tried their chicharrones in green chile sauce, but instead of the lovely crunchy stuff I'm used to on tacos, they...reconstituted or something, so I wound up eating thumb-sized strips of warm pork skin in sauce. I tried not to A. chew or B. think too hard about it. I should have taken a picture for the thread.

The weird part is that "pork skin" was listed separately, as "cuerito". This gringa does not know the difference. :(

Edit: Actually, speaking of canned vegetables and poo poo, has anyone ever had canned jackfruit? I was slightly interested (I like weird fruit, but understand jackfruit is weirdly textured) until I discovered it was being touted as a vegan pulled-meat alternative. Trader Joe's included it in a display with, like, barbecue sauce and pickles. Nnnnnope.

Cuerito as I know it is pickled and served as a side dish for picnics and parties, and instead of being crispy and meaty like chicarrones it is rubbery. I don't know how some families prepare pork for pozole but I've had some where the pork had a distinctive 'barnyard' taste to it :stonk:

Never had canned Jackfruit but I've had it fresh 'Jaca' and it is the weirdest tasting thing to me. Not gross, just strange, like eating fruit on another planet or something. Its also pretty bizarre looking itself; like a giant green spiky football on the outside with yellow flesh inside. You can get them in Mexican supermarkets.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

Oh they exist but they're usually from speciality stores. And unless it's like your uncle who doesn't understand societal norms and thinks it'd be wacky to bring one to a family holiday dinner they're usually bought for like bachelorette parties or something similar

They are also not usually covered in sugar jizz. That is like the next quantum level of vulgar from just tits and butts and wiener cakes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This definitely isn't true of all food pantries and soup kitchens. The ones I've volunteered at over the years welcome pretty much anything, but are especially happy with restaurants' leftovers (that whole poo poo where your boss says you can't donate food because they could be held liable if some hobo gets sick is the biggest sack of horseshit in history), and especially, especially happy when they can convince a bakery to bag up all the end-of-day stuff daily so they can come pick it up. Costs the bakery nothing and perfectly good bread that would normally be thrown away goes to feed people who need it. Everybody wins. And seriously, being able to pack up and distribute or serve fresh bakery bread alongside a meager helping of soup and canned fruit makes a big difference.

Now, we'd never straight up say "no" to a donation, but I've got to admit that it's heartbreaking to see a company van pull up to unload a donation and find out that it's a pallet of canned peas or sauerkraut or whatever was on sale at Aldi/Lidl. They're doing it for either a tax deduction or local recognition ("We donated X tons of food this year!" yeah, don't tell the reporter that it was X tons of peas and spinach), so the least they could do is spend the money on stuff the pantry or soup kitchen actually needs.

Cash is great but for some reason people think "no they need food they are a pantry I will buy them food." Do us a favor and ask if we need anything specific (baby food baby food baby food baby food baby food) or just drop by with cash or a check for the sum of what you were going to buy. It'll save you a trip to the store, and we'll be just as grateful, I promise :)

If I worked at a Food Pantry/Soup Kitchen and a store pulled shenanigans like that, you'd bet I'd make sure that everyone finds out that they're a bunch lying lazy assholes(honestly if I ran one it seems like it would cause less problems to have the policy be to accept money donations only)

Hirayuki posted:

Speaking of Chicharrones, that Mexican Supermarket I went to yesterday had on display in the little restaurant they had in the back, a Chicharrones the size of a Boogie Board, I really should have taken a photo of it

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

For some Rage Fodder, check out People Behaving Badly in San Francisco where enterprising individuals go to Food Pantries for free cans of food and turn around and sell them at a profit :negative:

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Cuerito as I know it is pickled and served as a side dish for picnics and parties, and instead of being crispy and meaty like chicarrones it is rubbery. I don't know how some families prepare pork for pozole but I've had some where the pork had a distinctive 'barnyard' taste to it :stonk:

Never had canned Jackfruit but I've had it fresh 'Jaca' and it is the weirdest tasting thing to me. Not gross, just strange, like eating fruit on another planet or something. Its also pretty bizarre looking itself; like a giant green spiky football on the outside with yellow flesh inside. You can get them in Mexican supermarkets.

I luuuurvs me some Jaca: it tastes like a weird pineapple/banana hybrid.

drrockso20 posted:

Speaking of Chicharrones, that Mexican Supermarket I went to yesterday had on display in the little restaurant they had in the back, a Chicharrones the size of a Boogie Board, I really should have taken a photo of it
OOooh boy, the nostalgia is hitting me hard with this one. A guy pushing along a tiny cart with a huge-rear end chicharron and a bucket of raw salsa. Pro-tier junk food right there.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

angerbeet posted:

I personally keep a tub of molten carrots to bathe in

I pour my liquid carrots on my burgers. It's the only way I eat my veggies.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation

Pentaro posted:

I luuuurvs me some Jaca: it tastes like a weird pineapple/banana hybrid.

OOooh boy, the nostalgia is hitting me hard with this one. A guy pushing along a tiny cart with a huge-rear end chicharron and a bucket of raw salsa. Pro-tier junk food right there.

My in laws will buy it, cut it up and freeze it so they can eat it like ice cream in the summertime. In fact that's how I found out about it; I told them how I saw some interesting fruit in a local Mexican supermarket and they had ziploc bags of frozen slices of Jackfruit for me to try.

Pineapple/banana is a good descriptor, it is a very unique combination of flavors.

On another note, while I love cilantro and don't have that mutation that tastes like soap (tastes like a nice bright, fresh taste in contrast to the savory meaty flavor of the rest of the taco to me) for some reason I find Papaya to smell and taste like rotten rear end and while I never smelled Durian I can only assume it is like 'Papaya but worse'. Then again maybe I'm just a picky weirdo; I thought I would like it and tried it many times but always feel like it has a 'rotting meat' aspect to it.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What`s wrong with peas. Peas are tasty and nutrious and can be used in a myriad of different way with a little creativity. Sounds like the perfect thing to donate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pretty much any actual bakery will make you a funny dick or boob cake. I've worked in two and they both did them, but were very discrete about it. Usually for bachelorette parties or bridal showers. Now if you want one that has like veins and is basically a true work of erotic cake art, then you go to the specialty shops.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Baudolino posted:

What`s wrong with peas. Peas are tasty and nutrious and can be used in a myriad of different way with a little creativity. Sounds like the perfect thing to donate.
Frozen peas are great. Canned peas are an abomination and should be ended with extreme prejudice.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Mexican papaya smells and tastes like wet dog to me. The first time I tried Hawaiian papaya my entire mind was blown and I ate so many of them in a sitting that I had diarrhea for two days.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Is that the problem? I remember loving papaya juice (cocktail) as a kid, but when I picked up a papaya the other day to make a smoothie, it smelled and tasted pretty gross. Maybe the wrong variety, maybe the wrong provenance, maybe we needed to let it ripen a poo poo-ton more. :iiam:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation

elise the great posted:

Mexican papaya smells and tastes like wet dog to me. The first time I tried Hawaiian papaya my entire mind was blown and I ate so many of them in a sitting that I had diarrhea for two days.

Ok I thought it was just my goony pickiness (still could be a factor).

I know some plants give off a smell that tells flies 'rotting flesh come and get it!' in order to pollinate themselves (are bees just lazy?) so I figured some tropical fruits smelled/tasted like rear end because they were trying to attract pollinating insects or scavengers to either pollinate them or distribute the seeds.

Kern's Papaya juice is fine but that poo poo is basically sugar syrup so I'm not sure if that's a reasonable gauge of flavor.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

To me, papaya smells kinda pukey but tastes pretty good.
The other day I bought some dehydrated papaya and it tasted like leathery rear end. How could you betray me like this, papaya :(

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Pentaro posted:

The other day I bought some dehydrated papaya and it tasted like leathery rear end. How could you betray me like this, papaya :(

Mods please change name to Leathery rear end tia

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When I go to the public market I make it a goal to avoid walking past the receiving door of the tropical fruit grocer. It always smells like a sweaty man had a heart attack, poo poo his pants, then decomposed a little bit next to some hibiscus.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation

Pentaro posted:

Thank you, I'm not crazy!

Some varieties of tropical fruit seems to be evolved to mostly emulate the smell of a vertibrate decomposing. I guess I'm not evolved to enjoy the smell/taste of wet rear end.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

drrockso20 posted:

Also speaking of chicharonnes, apparently you can buy vegetarian "chicharonnes" at the local HEB. They're like puffed corn or gluten or some poo poo and make zero sense to me.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Also speaking of chicharonnes, apparently you can buy vegetarian "chicharonnes" at the local HEB. They're like puffed corn or gluten or some poo poo and make zero sense to me.

thats so wrong :(

so so so wrong

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
That's basically just a Funyun. What's wrong with that?

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I just got a bag of these the other day, actually!

I think they're good.

I've never had the wheel-looking kind, though.

They sell them 'raw' and you have to fry them. Or I guess microwave them. I bet they are good! It just seems like more effort than I want to put forth for a chip.

I've had this kind --

but mine came with a little packet of Valentina. I liked it!

It's all just fried, puffed wheat.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Mods please change name to Leathery rear end tia

Really NOT wanting to see the inevitable avatar change.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Samizdata posted:

Really NOT wanting to see the inevitable avatar change.

:getin:

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I.C. posted:

I've had this kind --

One of these bad boys, refried beans, shredded cabbage, fresh tomato salsa and a few dashes of hot sauce... :discourse:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation

I.C. posted:

I just got a bag of these the other day, actually!

I think they're good.

I've never had the wheel-looking kind, though.

They sell them 'raw' and you have to fry them. Or I guess microwave them. I bet they are good! It just seems like more effort than I want to put forth for a chip.

I've had this kind --

The wheel things you fry in oil and they puff up. They're good with Valentina sauce. They're fun to make.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

For two months, sometimes 4 times a day I would peel and chop about a dozen papayas. They definitely have that pukey smell to them, but I don't mind them. They're far worse when you have to wash 12 crates of them, because the sap breaks down lipids just like pineapples so it eats your skin away after a while, plus they'd be covered in pesticides and we washed them in saltwater. I pretty much burned my fingertips off and my hands would be red for days after spending half an afternoon washing them. Papayas usually come covered in tiny snails too.

That's my papaya story. Have some chicken.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

For some Rage Fodder, check out People Behaving Badly in San Francisco where enterprising individuals go to Food Pantries for free cans of food and turn around and sell them at a profit :negative:

Uhh... how exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Picnic Princess posted:

For two months, sometimes 4 times a day I would peel and chop about a dozen papayas. They definitely have that pukey smell to them, but I don't mind them. They're far worse when you have to wash 12 crates of them, because the sap breaks down lipids just like pineapples so it eats your skin away after a while, plus they'd be covered in pesticides and we washed them in saltwater. I pretty much burned my fingertips off and my hands would be red for days after spending half an afternoon washing them. Papayas usually come covered in tiny snails too.

Why not just wear gloves?