Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smiling Jack posted:

If Kislyak was telling the truth in those calls which he had to know were going to be intercepted.

I am increasingly convinced that the Russian end goal was not to elect Trump but to severely damage Hillary leading to years of Ben Gazi type hearings. Trump actually getting elected was their longshot hail mary and now that it actually worked they set up all sorts of compromat to cripple his administration.

They almost certainly wanted to undermine any electoral mandate she'd have earned with whatever the polls were saying early on, an 8-10pt win. Paralysis was probably the goal, so that Russia could grow influence Westward in the wake of a US too divided to really exert any kind of diplomatic consensus-building over poo poo like Daesh. Trump has a lot of similarities to the likes of Farage and Le Pen, they paint isolationism and anti-globalism in a populist manner, bending racial resentment and anti-immigrant sentiment into the broader "the rest of the world is why poo poo sucks for you" and throwing in a few "let's take their money and use it here" things that resonate with barrel-bottom leftist types who already were sympathetic to isolationist rhetoric. If you capture 15% of the vote you suddenly have a very dangerous weapon if you want to block any kind of action by incumbent actors.

Way back when South Ossetia was a thing in the news, some folks were making the observation that Putin was chafing against the NATO paradigm, against what seemed like a wall of membership closing in. Back when Ukraine was really looking like they were on track to start the EU membership process this was a thing as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Yanukovich's route to power wasn't a rough draft for how the plan was applied to the US, even controlling for the Manafort involvement. The US doesn't have a Crimea to pry off, but we have a lot of isolated rurals primed with plenty of lovely conspiracy news on tap via Twitter and Facebook. That separation is present, it's just urban-rural as opposed to Kiev-Sebastopol.

This is heading for tinfoil town fast and it's late so I'm gonna stop here. I have no idea how the civilized world can try to counterprogram against this poo poo, but it definitely needs to or else fake populism is going to break the loving planet apart and kill us all.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

KildarX posted:

"I don't see why you call yourselves boy scouts, I see lots of you, not boys some of you are coming of age. Your youths more like. How about Trump Youths. Yea I like the sound of that. "

See this timeline is so hosed, I can't tell if this is something he actually said or if this is sarcasm.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Honestly as far as presidential addresses to Scouts go it probably ranks above the Bush no-show death rally where a bunch of people got heatstroke, but that's not exactly a high bar to clear.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

which bush

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Jr, this was at the infamous 2005 National Jamboree where a couple adult leaders died after accidentally hitting a tent pole against an overhead electrical wire.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Two Finger posted:

If Saturday night massacre part two goes through I hope you are proven wrong.

If the NYT ruminations that genocide tendencies posted come to pass, there won't be a Saturday Night Massacre. I wonder if the GOP would give enough of a crap about Russia to block a recess appointment.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

joat mon posted:

If the NYT ruminations that genocide tendencies posted come to pass, there won't be a Saturday Night Massacre. I wonder if the GOP would give enough of a crap about Russia to block a recess appointment.

The GOP won't do poo poo because they haven't done poo poo up to this point, everyone knows Donnie is compromised six ways to Sunday, and is horribly inept and completely unfit for Presidential office, but noone wants to be the guy who brings a vote in Congress over the 25th. They know that whoever does that will be putting their political livelihood at risk because their voters are stupid enough that Trump could poison their voter bases against them.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Countering the hybrid war poo poo Moscow is pulling is a nightmare.

We could crush Russian forces in Crimea. I'm talking 75%+ casualty rates and all in under 72 hours. Honestly we could do it. The S-400 isn't god mode, we'd destroy every air defense battery at zero hour.

But that doesn't really matter, does it?

They get Shock and Awe'd in Crimea then Kiev probably becomes radioactive waste by midnight. Or little green men start showing up all over Eastern Europe and the Kremlin starts "defending" "Ethnic Russians" throughout the former USSR.

So here we are.

POTUS is literally compromised by Russia, and Russia got caught red handed loving with our elections. Our response?

Targeted sanctions.

That's been our only substantive response to any Russian fuckery. Targeted sanctions.

And guess who could give a gently caress about sanctions? Putin.

We can't really risk harming the guy who can withhold gas to most of continental Europe in the dead of winter.

Or can we? So far no U.S. President has entertained using force against Russia since Clinton left office. And we goddamn near did go kinetic against the Russians during allied force. It was all stopped by that crooner James Blunt if memory serves me correctly. Wesley Clark was trying his goddamnedest to spark off WWIII. It's been 21 years since that all went down.

I personally think we need to get in the Russian killing business- again. Why? Because it's goddamn time, and I don't think Putin would be the first to go nuclear. We need to be killing Russians in and near Crimea with impunity. Seriously.

They shot down a goddamn civilian passenger jet during this ongoing conflict.. All we did was targeted sanctions.

See a pattern? If you want to really see the game get changed it starts with unleashing the DoD on Russia. But that scares the poo poo out of modern presidents.

Don't trust me entirely though as I'm on a 3rd plateau DXM trip right now and everything is 4 dimensional as gently caress. I can loving see time.

Stay safe CE gippers I'm gonna go post in the drunk thread.

Namaste.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:gop:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Countering the hybrid war poo poo Moscow is pulling is a nightmare.

We could crush Russian forces in Crimea. I'm talking 75%+ casualty rates and all in under 72 hours. Honestly we could do it. The S-400 isn't god mode, we'd destroy every air defense battery at zero hour.

But that doesn't really matter, does it?

They get Shock and Awe'd in Crimea then Kiev probably becomes radioactive waste by midnight. Or little green men start showing up all over Eastern Europe and the Kremlin starts "defending" "Ethnic Russians" throughout the former USSR.

So here we are.

POTUS is literally compromised by Russia, and Russia got caught red handed loving with our elections. Our response?

Targeted sanctions.

That's been our only substantive response to any Russian fuckery. Targeted sanctions.

And guess who could give a gently caress about sanctions? Putin.

We can't really risk harming the guy who can withhold gas to most of continental Europe in the dead of winter.

Or can we? So far no U.S. President has entertained using force against Russia since Clinton left office. And we goddamn near did go kinetic against the Russians during allied force. It was all stopped by that crooner James Blunt if memory serves me correctly. Wesley Clark was trying his goddamnedest to spark off WWIII. It's been 21 years since that all went down.

I personally think we need to get in the Russian killing business- again. Why? Because it's goddamn time, and I don't think Putin would be the first to go nuclear. We need to be killing Russians in and near Crimea with impunity. Seriously.

They shot down a goddamn civilian passenger jet during this ongoing conflict.. All we did was targeted sanctions.

See a pattern? If you want to really see the game get changed it starts with unleashing the DoD on Russia. But that scares the poo poo out of modern presidents.

Don't trust me entirely though as I'm on a 3rd plateau DXM trip right now and everything is 4 dimensional as gently caress. I can loving see time.

Namaste.

stay safe space shim

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ily shim

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:patriot:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Namaste.
TCC has a dissociative thread to which robotrippers are welcome.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Since there were some nice jokes about a trump Musical and Oompa Loompas. (Which the original twitter thread came up with far better lyrics that UBS)

That fictional play starts with a quick recap

Which hits way to close to reality at the end...
https://youtu.be/Vvy0wRLD5s8

quote:

Hi Ho,
do you know
the names of the US residents
who became the presidents
who got a view
from the White House lou
of pennsilvania avenue!

George Washington was the first you see,
He once chopped down a cherry tree.
President number two would be
John Adams and then number three:
Tom Jefferson stayed up to write
A declaration late at night.
So he and his wife had a great big fight
And she made him sleep on the couch all night.

James Madison never had a son
and fought the war of 1812.
James Monroes colossal nose
was bigger than pinocchios.
John Quicy Adams was number six
and it was Andrew Jacksons butt he kicked.
So Jackson learns to play politics
so next time he's the one that the country picks.

Martin Van Buren at number eight
for a one term shot as chief of state.
William Harrisson, how do you praise?
That guy was dead in thirty days!
John Tyler he liked country folk,
and after him came President Polk.

Zachary Taylor liked to smoke.
His breath killed friends whenever he spoke.
1850, really nifty;
Millard Fillmore's in!
Young and fierce was Franklin Pierce
The man without a chin.
Follows next a period spannin'
four long years with James Buchanan.
Then the South start shootin' cannon
and we've got a civil war.

A war!
A war down south in Dixie!

Up to bat comes old Abe Lincoln.
There's a guy who's really thinkin'
Kept the United States from shrinking.
Saved the ship of state from sinking.
Andrew Johnson's next,
he had some slight defects.
Congress each
Would impeach

And so the country now elects
Ulysses Simpson Grant.
Who would scream and rave and rant
while drinking whiskey,
although risky,
cause he'd spill it on his pants.

It's 1877 and the democrats would gloat;
But they're all amazed when Rutherford Hayes
wins by just one vote.
James Garfield, someone really hated
cause he was assassinated.
Chester Arthur gets instated
four years later he was traded,
for Grover Cleveland, really fat;
Elected twice as a democrat.
Then Benjamin Harrison, after that
it's William McKinley up to bat.
Teddy Roosevelt charged up San Juan Hill.
And President Taft he got the bill.

In 1913 Woodrow
Wiiilllllllson
takes us into World War One.
Warren Harding next in line.
It's Calvin Coolidge he does fine.
And then in 1929
the market crashes and we find
it's Herbert Hoover's big debut.
He gets the blame and loses to
Franklin Roosevelt, President who
helped us win in World War Two.

Harry Truman, weird little humans
serves two terms and when he's done
it's Eisenhower who's got the power
From '53 to '61.
John Kennedy had Camelot.
Then Lyndon Johnson took his spot.
Richard Nixon he gets caught,
and Gerald Ford fell down a lot.
Jimmy Carter liked campaign trips.
And Ronald Regan's speeches scripts
all came from famous movie clips
And President Bush said "read my lips".

Now in Washington D.C.
It's democrats and the G.O.P.
But the ones in charge are plain to see
the Clintons: Bill and Hillary.

The next President to lead the way?
Well, it just might be yourself one day.
Then the press'll distort everything you say.
So jump in your plane and fly away.

We need three more verses.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

If this is in the third edition dick book I'm buying ten

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Shim I've been getting awfully concerned about you lately :ohdear:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Shim is right

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Shim I've been getting awfully concerned about you lately :ohdear:

I'm fine, just bored since I'm unemployed and out of school right now. So ya know.. time to trip balls.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

I'm fine, just bored since I'm unemployed and out of school right now. So ya know.. time to trip balls.

DXM sucks, its a fact.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

bulletsponge13 posted:

Nick Berg was bad, but nothing I've seen online has hosed with me as much as the video of the Russian trooper getting his throat slit in Chechnya.

Jesus it was that one for you, too huh?

What a rotten way to die.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

What a rotten way to die.
What a shame.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sorry I'm way late to that party, didn't refresh the window.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kawasaki Nun posted:

DXM sucks, its a fact.

poo poo is long lasting. Loooooooooong lasting.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Still tripping balls or you back yet shim?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not as high as I should be. I definitely have a buzz going, though. I think all the antipsychotics I take limit the experience with DXM so I've gone back to hash dabs.

Yay antipsychotics!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

I'm not as high as I should be. I definitely have a buzz going, though. I think all the antipsychotics I take limit the experience with DXM so I've gone back to hash dabs.

Yay antipsychotics!

From Wikipedia :
A large number of medications are potent inhibitors of CYP2D6. Some types of medications known to inhibit CYP2D6 include certain SSRIs and tricyclicantidepressants, some antipsychotics

So yeah they can gently caress with metabolism of it.

Just be super duper safe Shim. Know the effects of the drugs you're on and plan your trips to avoid impacting the same receptors. Also to avoid wasting psychedelics because they won't work with the meds.

Anti psychotics and anti depressants can lead to awful side effects with psychedelics. DXM seems to be less of an issue because of the receptors it majorly targets but it does gently caress with serotonin reuptake.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Shim don't lose any fingats

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Shim please don't get serotonin syndrome :ohdear:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm A-okay gents.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Sessions is 100% about to be fired

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/889788202172780544

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/889790429398528000

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
@seanhannity first thing in the morning

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This is straight up banana republic poo poo.

Trump is becoming increasingly unhinged and delusional.

Edit: Christ almighty now he's dragging his 11 year old son into this :stonk:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/889800510106107904

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 25, 2017

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Will someone in our loving government do their job and get this fucker the gently caress out, Christ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

milk milk lemonade posted:

Will someone in our loving government do their job and get this fucker the gently caress out, Christ

Please, for the love of all that is holy.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

At this point the only thing holding off a Saturday Nigh Massacre is the fact that even 'Fox News Contributor' gutter feeders like Giuliani are smart enough to refuse a position in the Trump admin. Trump's going to have to start staffing the Exec with his golf caddies. I mean look at this poo poo:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RIP objective reality and facts as fundamental concepts underlying civilization 1021-2017

https://nytimes.com/2017/07/24/business/media/snopes-crowdfunding-proper-media.html

quote:

Snopes, in Heated Legal Battle, Asks Readers for Money to Survive

An image of the Snopes Go Fund Me page.

By DANIEL VICTOR

JULY 24, 2017

Snopes, the fact-checking website that once focused on debunking flimsy internet rumors but has expanded into a 16-person operation that calls out political leaders for dishonesty, is locked in a legal battle that it says has drained the money it needs to survive.

The site, which gets all of its revenue from advertising, created a crowdfunding pageon Monday, seeking $500,000 from readers to remain operational indefinitely. It says that Proper Media, the vendor that runs its advertising services, has withheld the site’s revenue and has refused to relinquish control of the site. That leaves Bardav — the company that owns and operates Snopes — with no way of moving the site to a new host or installing its own ads, said David Mikkelson, a founder of the site.

“We have had no income whatsoever for the last several months,” Mr. Mikkelson said in an interview on Monday.

When asked how long the site could last without a successful fund-raising drive or legal victory, Mr. Mikkelson responded: “Not a whole lot longer.”

Proper Media and its lawyers tell a starkly different story. They say that Snopes employees will continue to be paid from the advertising revenue, and that Mr. Mikkelson should be removed from the company because of wasteful spending.

The two sides, which have sued each other in separate claims, present entirely conflicting descriptions of who owns the company and what is being withheld from whom. The earliest chance for resolution appears to be a court hearing scheduled for next week.

Whether the squabbling will affect Snopes’s ability to produce its popular mythbusting remains to be seen, but the disputes are unlikely to be settled until there is legal clarity on the underlying structure of the company.

Proper Media considers itself an owner of Bardav, not a vendor. As Proper Media tells it, Barbara Mikkelson, Mr. Mikkelson’s ex-wife, sold her 50 percent share to Proper Media in 2016, but for tax purposes it was bought in the name of its individual members “for the benefit of Proper Media.” Two Proper Media officers, Drew Schoentrup and Christopher Richmond, would get 20 percent stakes in Bardav, while three others would own 3.33 percent stakes.

Proper Media said the deal included Mr. Schoentrup taking a seat on a two-person board alongside Mr. Mikkelson.

But Mr. Mikkelson, who owns the other 50 percent of the Bardav shares, said that Mr. Schoentrup does not sit on the board, and that the five shareholders should be viewed individually, as opposed to collectively, giving Proper Media equal ownership.

Mr. Schoentrup’s on or off status on the board is crucial in Mr. Mikkelson’s decision to cancel Bardav’s contract with Proper Media, which handles many of the technological and advertising services for Snopes. In March, Bardav gave Proper Media a 60-day notice that it would be terminating the contract, effective May 8. Mr. Mikkelson said the contract was agreed to when Snopes was a much smaller company, but now it had its own business-focused employees and other services “can be obtained much more cheaply from other vendors.”

Karl Kronenberger, a lawyer for Proper Media, said in an interview on Monday that Mr. Mikkelson cannot cancel the contract without calling a board meeting — which, in Proper Media’s view, would include Mr. Schoentrup. The company has continued as if the contract remained valid.

Last week, the sides agreed in court that Proper Media, which cannot directly pay Snopes employees, would release $100,000 of the advertising revenues to Bardav, on the condition that the money be used for expenses and not be paid to Mr. Mikkelson, according to Mr. Kronenberger. Proper Media sued Mr. Mikkelson in May, accusing him of mismanaging the company’s funds and abusing his position.

Mr. Kronenberger said Mr. Mikkelson has locked Proper Media out of Bardav’s bank accounts and “key databases it needs to do its job,” and he disputed that Proper Media had locked Bardav out from making technological changes.

“Mr. Mikkelson has absolute control of this domain name,’’ Mr. Kronenberger said. “He can move it within minutes.”

As for the advertising revenue, “Our position is nothing is being wrongfully withheld,” he said.

But on the crowdfunding page, Mr. Mikkelson wrote that “although we maintain editorial control (for now), the vendor will not relinquish the site’s hosting to our control, so we cannot modify the site, develop it, or — most crucially — place advertising on it.”

Both sides hope a court hearing scheduled for Aug. 4 will begin to bring some clarity. Proper Media hopes the judge will remove Mr. Mikkelson from the company, while Bardav is hoping the judge requires Proper Media to hand over the rest of the advertising revenue, including some money from before the contract termination took effect.

For more than 20 years, Snopes has been a destination for batting down the urban legends and viral misinformation all too commonly found on the internet, first in email forwards and later in popular but misleading articles. At first run entirely by David and Barbara Mikkelson, it developed a reputation as an authority on declaring simply whether such tidbits could be believed.

In recent years, the site added staff as it took increasing aim at the routine falsities of the political process. In December, Facebook made Snopes a key part of its efforts to combat fake news, including it in a group of fact-checkers that would be alerted if enough users flagged an article as fake.

On Monday, Snopes used its website and social media accounts to promote its crowdfunding effort, and had succeeded in raising more than $380,000 as of 11 p.m.

“We’re just trying to pick a number that we’re sure we can continue operations for, let’s say, through possibly the end of the year, or at least the next several months while all this is happening,” Mr. Mikkelson said.

Download the NYTimes app

HelpSubscribeFeedbackTerms of ServicePrivacy

© 2017 The New York Times Company

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 25, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
This is the worst timeline because we are being denied Tom Clancy novels based on the Trump Administration

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

But I thought his Russia involvement was fake news? :stare:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

is he gonna hire hannity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Man I gotta take a break from current events. The poo poo is stressful if you pay too much attention. Or I need to somehow change my viewpoint to see it as a sitcom or drama or some other poo poo on basic cable.

I always thought it was my duty to pay attention and be informed. Now I think it's my duty to not lose my mind over this stupid administration.

• Locked thread