Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

You don't tap as many permanents is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Smashing Link posted:

Orb also seems to have some synergy with Bontu's Last Reckoning. Not sure if it's good enough but maybe.

Reckoning's not bad but the self-mill on Orb is less painful than you think. Short of an Emrakul shuffle trigger or something an Orb will always kill your opponent before it kills you. Plus if you have Snapcasters (or SB Dredge spells) it provides fuel for those. I'd rather spend the extra mana for Damnation compared to Reckoning but I can understand the price issue there.

Before Fraying Sanity got printed I was running a fun-of Psychic Spiral just in case I Orb'd too hard :lol:

E: Also when Fraying Sanity got revealed I wondered to myself if there was a Mill prison deck that could be built with 4 Crab, 4 Orb, 4 Sanity, 4 Ensnaring Bridge or whatever and then realized I was just re-inventing Lantern Control :barf:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 17, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Reckoning's not bad

Yes it is.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

+1

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it makes your taking turns opponent's exhaustions dead

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Snacksmaniac posted:

Someone sell me orbs
I think I got a playset of Orbs for a good home

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I only need two 😩

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Bontu's seems not good but who knows. I just wish it would find a home somewhere. My true favorite pairing of Mesmeric Orb is Tangle Wire :getin:, but it's not Modern legal.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Snacksmaniac posted:

I only need two 😩
I'll split it up for you, C-Euro knows I'm all about giving my cards a good home. PM me

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Played in a 15-player sanctioned Vintage tournament yesterday, with UWR Mentor. This was my first time playing sanctioned, sixth time playing Vintage.

Round One vs Ballista Shops (Draw)

I played a little slower than I probably needed to, but I was rusty after two months off, and lacking confidence going into the event. I was also against likely the best player in the room, and knew it. He ended up being undefeated in the Swiss. I was able to By Force away his artifacts game 1, got locked out early in game 2, and we both emptied our hands game 3, ending up with a couple prison pieces out on his side, but I had a Mentor and some tokens and was slowly building an army. I think I could've had it given another 2-3 turns; I'm not sure what his outs were.

0-0-1

Round Two vs Paradoxical Storm (Win)

Deck worked like it should. Had the counter magic, built up a Mentor army. Felt confident that this was a strong matchup for my deck but I think I had a lot of luck on my side this round.

1-0-1

Round Three vs Paradoxical Storm (Loss)

Got stormed out game 1. Game 2 I kept the oh-so-sketchy hand of Black Lotus and spells, with no lands or moxen. I got countered trying to turn 1 a JVP, then found no mana sources with Preordain. Whoops. Still had time to build back up and had the Mindbreak Trap with a Mentor in play by the time he was ready to go off. Game 3 I slammed a Dack Fayden to steal his only artifact mana. He answered back by playing another and Tinkering for Blightsteel. I couldn't find a Swords or build back up Dack in time.

1-1-1

Round Four vs Oath of Druids (Win)

He got stuck on three Orchards game one, and gave me so many tokens I killed him with a non-monk token army. Game two I stuck a Grafdigger's Cage and it just never got removed - he played draw-go while I beat down.

2-1-1

Round Five vs UB Paradoxical Storm (Loss)

He hardcast Blightsteel after shuffling it away three or four times, while I flooded out. I was able to steal it with Dack Fayden, but he cast Rebuild, got all the artifact mana back, and stormed out. Game two I flooded out hard, drawing nothing but lands and moxen, while he beat down with a Dark Confidant and a Snapcaster before storming out.

2-2-1

Had a great time, learned to be a lot more careful with my Dack Fayden activations if Blightsteel's a possibility, and I really need to put more thought into what I tap for a Ponder/Ancestral/etc. Several times I had a Swords and a Pyroblast in hand, and had to decide if I'd leave a Tundra or Volcanic untapped and got bit for making the wrong call.

Still hoping to build this on MTGO soon so I can practice more - really fallen in love with the deck and format.

code:
2 Dack Fayden
3 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Monastery Mentor
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 By Force
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Ponder
4 Preordain
1 Time Walk
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Dig Through Time
4 Force of Will
1 Gush
4 Mental Misstep
1 Mystical Tutor
2 Pyroblast
3 Swords to Plowshares
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
4 Flooded Strand
1 Island
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Plains
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Strip Mine
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island

Sideboard (15)
1 By Force
2 Pyroblast
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Balance
1 Containment Priest
2 Fragmentize
3 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Mindbreak Trap
1 Rest in Peace
1 Stony Silence
1 Wasteland

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 18, 2017

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Someone sell me orbs

I has orbs

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ville Valo posted:

Played in a 15-player sanctioned Vintage tournament yesterday, with UWR Mentor. This was my first time playing sanctioned, sixth time playing Vintage.

Round One vs Ballista Shops (Draw)

I played a little slower than I probably needed to, but I was rusty after two months off, and lacking confidence going into the event. I was also against likely the best player in the room, and knew it. He ended up being undefeated in the Swiss. I was able to By Force away his artifacts game 1, got locked out early in game 2, and we both emptied our hands game 3, ending up with a couple prison pieces out on his side, but I had a Mentor and some tokens and was slowly building an army. I think I could've had it given another 2-3 turns; I'm not sure what his outs were.

0-0-1

Round Two vs Paradoxical Storm (Win)

Deck worked like it should. Had the counter magic, built up a Mentor army. Felt confident that this was a strong matchup for my deck but I think I had a lot of luck on my side this round.

1-0-1

Round Three vs Paradoxical Storm (Loss)

Got stormed out game 1. Game 2 I kept the oh-so-sketchy hand of Black Lotus and spells, with no lands or moxen. I got countered trying to turn 1 a JVP, then found no mana sources with Preordain. Whoops. Still had time to build back up and had the Mindbreak Trap with a Mentor in play by the time he was ready to go off. Game 3 I slammed a Dack Fayden to steal his only artifact mana. He answered back by playing another and Tinkering for Blightsteel. I couldn't find a Swords or build back up Dack in time.

1-1-1

Round Four vs Oath of Druids (Win)

He got stuck on three Orchards game one, and gave me so many tokens I killed him with a non-monk token army. Game two I stuck a Grafdigger's Cage and it just never got removed - he played draw-go while I beat down.

2-1-1

Round Five vs UB Paradoxical Storm (Loss)

He hardcast Blightsteel after shuffling it away three or four times, while I flooded out. I was able to steel it with Dack Fayden, but he cast Rebuild, got all the artifact mana back, and stormed out. Game two I flooded out hard, drawing nothing but lands and moxen, while he beat down with a Dark Confidant and a Snapcaster before storming out.

2-2-1

Had a great time, learned to be a lot more careful with my Dack Fayden activations if Blightsteel's a possibility, and I really need to put more thought into what I tap for a Ponder/Ancestral/etc. Several times I had a Swords and a Pyroblast in hand, and had to decide if I'd leave a Tundra or Volcanic untapped and got bit for making the wrong call.

Still hoping to build this on MTGO soon so I can practice more - really fallen in love with the deck and format.

code:
2 Dack Fayden
3 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Monastery Mentor
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 By Force
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Ponder
4 Preordain
1 Time Walk
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Dig Through Time
4 Force of Will
1 Gush
4 Mental Misstep
1 Mystical Tutor
2 Pyroblast
3 Swords to Plowshares
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
4 Flooded Strand
1 Island
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Plains
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Strip Mine
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island

Sideboard (15)
1 By Force
2 Pyroblast
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Balance
1 Containment Priest
2 Fragmentize
3 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Mindbreak Trap
1 Rest in Peace
1 Stony Silence
1 Wasteland

I've been testing abrade, and oh boy does it seem great. I highly recommend maindecking 1-2. Possibly cutting a swords to make room

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I like bontu's reckoning in modern because it kills so much on such a critical turn. Anger of the gods gets affinity dudes, unless the ravager is already out in which case it forces them to go all in maybe but you're still in danger, goyfs and DS can be bigger than 3 by turn 3, etc. Ive had lots of games where I'm on the draw with some targeted removal and a damnation/wrath that is a turn too late because affinity or infect or w/e worked through the removal and got me on their turn 4.

Not saying it is format defining or anything but it you need lots of stuff dead turn 3 it is going to be a pretty good option.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Just counter the Death's Shadow so you don't have to wipe the board on turn 3.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

I've been testing abrade, and oh boy does it seem great. I highly recommend maindecking 1-2. Possibly cutting a swords to make room

two manas seems like a lot of manas

Ville Valo posted:

do you like having the off-color moxen in your deck? i tend to play more null rod effects and don't have problems making monks.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

But its the same as sudden shock, and it dodges chalice on 1. Kills mentor, and thorns and thalia.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

do you like having the off-color moxen in your deck? i tend to play more null rod effects and don't have problems making monks.

If I were to cut them it'd be for something like Null Rod or maindeck Stony Silence, but so far I like them. Powering out JVP or Mentor faster is a big game.

L0cke17 posted:

I saw this played in the event; Abrade seems pretty great but 2 mana is a lot. I could play 1 over a Swords, though. I ordered some foil copies. I don't play Sudden Shock so I don't have a 2-drop to replace with it, and being 3 (or more) mana against a Thorns or similar is scary and bad.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ville Valo posted:

I saw this played in the event; Abrade seems pretty great but 2 mana is a lot. I could play 1 over a Swords, though. I ordered some foil copies. I don't play Sudden Shock so I don't have a 2-drop to replace with it, and being 3 (or more) mana against a Thorns or similar is scary and bad.

Its not ideal, but because its so versatile, and instant speed, I'd see it worthwhile to have 1-2 in the main. At 3 mana vs a thorn its not gonna be on every time every time theres a thorn, but as a maindeckable card that also kills thorns in a deck that typically has 0 interaction with them its well worth it. You definitely still want fragmentize/ingot chewer in the board, this doesnt replace that. It just gives you more interaction game 1.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

L0cke17 posted:

Its not ideal, but because its so versatile, and instant speed, I'd see it worthwhile to have 1-2 in the main. At 3 mana vs a thorn its not gonna be on every time every time theres a thorn, but as a maindeckable card that also kills thorns in a deck that typically has 0 interaction with them its well worth it. You definitely still want fragmentize/ingot chewer in the board, this doesnt replace that. It just gives you more interaction game 1.

I've been seeing lists running Fragmentize or By Force in the main for a little while now; I run a By Force.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ville Valo posted:

I've been seeing lists running Fragmentize or By Force in the main for a little while now; I run a By Force.

By force costs 3 to kill 1 thorn. Same as Abrade. And Abrade kills mentor too. Seems like a no-brainer swap, at least in your maindeck.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

L0cke17 posted:

By force costs 3 to kill 1 thorn. Same as Abrade. And Abrade kills mentor too. Seems like a no-brainer swap, at least in your maindeck.

I like having the oh-poo poo-button option of clearing their board of artifacts, which is why I use a main By Force instead of a Frag. But as I said, I ordered a foil set - I'm gonna try it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Modern people with white sideboards- has anyone tried comparing Gideon AoZ with Elspeth KE? I'm playing Monowhite taxes and have room for a 4 mana walker in the side. General consensus is Gideon is a better walker and I usually use him but I was messing with Elspeth KE and she was pretty pleased. Good in the same matchups but she works super well with the mirran crusaders and let's thraben inspectors do more work late game.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Modern people with white sideboards- has anyone tried comparing Gideon AoZ with Elspeth KE? I'm playing Monowhite taxes and have room for a 4 mana walker in the side. General consensus is Gideon is a better walker and I usually use him but I was messing with Elspeth KE and she was pretty pleased. Good in the same matchups but she works super well with the mirran crusaders and let's thraben inspectors do more work late game.

I'm playing mono w taxes lately too, and now I want to try elspeth. I'll report back after a day of mtgo leagues with it

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I've always prefererd Elspeth KE in every format. Gideon's tokens are better on their own, but elspeth closes similarly fast, and I like her a lot more in basically every matchup.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The one thing Gideon can do us attack and get flickered by angel to still make a token but that's never been relevant so far. Elspeth jumping dudes has been good.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The one thing Gideon can do us attack and get flickered by angel to still make a token but that's never been relevant so far. Elspeth jumping dudes has been good.

The one thing Gideon can do is +1 and get pathed

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Skyl3lazer posted:

The one thing Gideon can do is +1 and get pathed

True. I'm registering an Elspeth and I'll report back later.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Out of curiosity, does anyone here play Instant Reanimator in Modern? Was browsing through MTGGoldfish and stumbled across the deck, if this build is the stock version of the deck then the only thing I really need is the Goryo's (though honestly gently caress buying those at $50 apiece). There are also almost no graveyard decks at my store so I feel like it's going to be light on GY hate overall.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone here play Instant Reanimator in Modern? Was browsing through MTGGoldfish and stumbled across the deck, if this build is the stock version of the deck then the only thing I really need is the Goryo's (though honestly gently caress buying those at $50 apiece). There are also almost no graveyard decks at my store so I feel like it's going to be light on GY hate overall.

Someone in my store does and I really like the deck. The guy does pretty well with it too, despite being a fairly medium player. I've wanted to get it together, but I'm in the same boat - don't want to spend $50 on the Goryo's :/

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Man are Goryo's and Breach really approaching 200 per playset? I have mine from when I bought them for a Kamigawa Block deck for $1 each...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Arcane subtype makes them impossible to reprint in the regular block schedule unless they ever do a Return to Kamigawa (which won't happen unless they're really hurting for ideas).

Plus creatures are so much better now than they were when Kamigawa was in print that these effects in general are almost never printed, or at least not in a playable form. It's why a deck like Sneak & Show in Legacy is running Emrakul and Griselbrand despite having access to the Legacy cardpool- what would you rather cheat into play than those? This also applies to Reanimator decks/effects.

E: Goryo's is even harder to reprint because a Goryo is an entity specific to Kamigawa too. Breach at least got made into an Invocation in HOD.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 23, 2017

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

C-Euro posted:

It's why a deck like Sneak & Show in Legacy is running Emrakul and Griselbrand despite having access to the Legacy cardpool- what would you rather cheat into play than those? This also applies to Reanimator decks/effects.

Spirit of the night, Shivan dragon, sylvos, rogue elemental, mahamoti djinn or White Knight duh

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Molybdenum posted:

Spirit of the night, Shivan dragon, sylvos, rogue elemental, mahamoti djinn or White Knight duh

Serra Avatar was the old creature of choice.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Molybdenum posted:

All of which are dope, don't get me wrong! I was playing back then.

EvilBeard posted:

Serra Avatar was the old creature of choice.

I feel like I've seen one or two combo decks in Modern using Serra Avatar as a wincon. Probably just with Rite of Consumption or some poo poo.

E: Hey speaking of Reanimator this list just popped up on Goldfish and it looks pretty sweet. Wish Blackcleave Cliffs weren't :20bux: though. A whopping three reanimation targets seems kinda low too, especially with the number of ways to pitch cards.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 24, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Long post ahead: PPTQ with Monowhite taxes trip report. Went 4-1 into top 8, then lost in the finals. Rearranged prizes so second got all the cash and first got the rptq invite though since we both wanted it. Never even got to try Elspeth but I still like her from my online testing.

List:

4x Thraben Inspector
1x Weathered Wayfarer
4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4x Leonin Arbiter
1x Serra Avenger
1x Phyrexian Revoker
4x Blade Splicer
4x Flickerwisp
2x Mirran Crusader
4x Restoration Angel

4x Aether Vial
4x Path to Exile

4x Horizon Canopy
4x Ghost Quarter
4x Tectonic Edge
1x Cavern of Souls
1x Eiganjo Castle
9x Plains

SB:
4x Relic of Progenitus
1x Grafdigger's cage
1x Mirran Crusader
2x Burrenton Forge-Tender
1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
2x Dusk//Dawn
2x Sunlance
2x Stony Silence

Round 1: 2-0 against R/W prison.

Really uneventful start. Game 1 he mulls to 6, I have a curve of inspector into thalia and arbiter, into splicer... he eventually wraths with a spirit guide but I had quit playing creatures 2 turns before expecting it and just replayed a similar board and he died. He had kept a hand with 3 blood moons apparently, and my first 3 lands were plains. Round 2 is extremely similar, he mulls to 6. I play out a curve 6 power pretty easy and have him on a 2 turn clock when he wraths using a spirit guide again, I untap and play out 3 dudes again, he dies two turns later. Super uneventful, he never drew out of his mulligans.

Round 2: 2-0 against Living End

This should be more difficult than it was. Game 1 was free- he mulled to 3 and never played anything, just seeing what I had to play out and then scooping. I didn't sideboard because he didn't show me any cards. Game 2 he drew tons of land but barely cycled anything. I put enough power on the board that he was forced to living end or die, he does, I redeploy the handful of threats I'd been keeping in anticipation. He only got 2 creatures out of the living end. I eventually find a mirran crusader and make some extra golems while he floods out. Super uneventful game.

Round 3: 1-2 against Dredge.

I hate playing against dredge. Game 2 I have a medium hand and can't stop him or interact with him. No thalia and he gets to do dredge things very quickly being on the play. A quick loss. Game 2 I board in 4 relics, cage, and the 2 forge-tenders. He plays one mountain and dredges the other on turn 3. When I see the second mountain get dredged, I start using my ghost quarters with no arbiter out,, assuming correctly that those were his only two basics. I ghost quarter him out completely and go on the beatdown while he tries to dredge some creatures on board but it doesn't work in time. Game 3 we almost go to time- he dredges a darkblast that makes the game a total grind for me. I get him down to about 5, but darkblast and collective brutality have killed so many things that he has time to assemble enough bloodghasts and amalgams to finish me off. I never saw any of my relics or cage that game.

Round 4: 2-0 against Gift Storm

This guy was unhappy and unfriendly. I had thalia and double arbiter along with a t1 inspector. He plays Baral, I path it. He plays electromancer, path that too. He scoops game 1. Game 2 I board in all 4 relics, cage, and 2 sunlance. My opener feels great, with relic, thalia, arbiter and sunlance. Draw the cage turn 1, play it. Never end up needing it, as the game played on I never tapped out so I always had relic available and I kill any familiars he plays, going for a slow beatdown with thalia and arbiter. He was obviously annoyed and told me he hates my deck and thinks it's unfair because it doesn't let people play real magic. The irony is lost on him.

Round 5: 2-1 against Gift Storm

Another storm player, and someone semi-local to me, very friendly guy. If I had been paired up against any other 9 point player I could have drawn in but he had to play since he was the lowest ranked 9 point in rankings. We both knew what the other was on going into the game. Game 1 was really interesting; I assembled a board that made me feel like I couldn't lose. Thalia, two arbiters, a splicer with golem. I proceed to lose. He gets out Baral and I don't have a path for it. He has 1 turn to make something happen so he plays 4 rituals, manamorphose, serum visions, slight of hand, grapeshot. Kills everything except the golem token. I can't kill him, he untaps and plays past in flames and goes off completely to win the game. Game 2, board in the 5 artifacts again. Relic in the opener feels good, right into a cage again. Play out thalia and arbiter again as well. End of my turn he punts by casting peer through depths, giving me an opportunity to destroy his only red source with a GQ I left untapped in case I needed to pop relic. He never recovers and I win a few turns later. Game 3 I have double relic into a curve of white creatures and he can't keep up with the relics. I made the decision to go up to 4 relics in the side on the drive down to the event and I'm glad I did.

Top 8 round 1: 2-1 against Eldrazi Tron

I really hate this matchup because of how badly etron shits on fair cards, but at least I'll get to use my 2 dusk//dawn. Game 1 goes as expected. He has natural tron into a 3 power walking ballista. I try to play some little dudes and ghost quarter his tower. He untaps, plays a second tower, plays a TKS with mana to activate ballista. I have to vial in my last card, a flickerwisp, and target his ballista, he responds by pumping it and killing two dudes. I blow up the second tower :911: He plays a THIRD TOWER, drops karn, I'm out. Board in 2 Dusk/Dawn and 2 stony silence. This game I get a decent curve and blow up some lands. He hits me with a TKS, sees only land, I draw Dusk/dawn and blow it up and he never draws a relevant card again. He tried to use All is Dust but I had Thalia out and he forgot about it. Game 3 was kind of insane; he goes smasher into smasher and I take the hits to go to 2 knowing that chumping with my dudes only decreases my outs. I draw multiple flicker effects and get at least 3 golems on board and have enough toughness to stop both smashers. We go back and forth for probably 7 turns, increasing both of our boards but in a stalemate. I have him at 5 from a restoration angel I had earlier that he had to dismember. He had a 1 turn window where he played a batterskull that he could have tried to be more aggressive with but was scared of me having a flickerwisp and lost his chance. He plays a karn and also misplays slightly but not being more aggressive about removing my creatures, instead ticking it up to where it can ultimate. On the same turn he ticks Karn up to 15, he drops an Endbringer, meaning I have exactly 1 draw step left.. I draw the top deck of my life, DUSK//DAWN, literally slam it onto the table and blow up every creature he has and leaving me with exactly 5 power worth of creatures to win the game. Felt awesome and I love that card forever now.

Top 8 round 2: 2-0 against Sultai Control brew

It's basically sultai control, he called it his own brew which it probably was. Looked like a UB control deck core with some green effects like abrupt decay and maelstrom pulse added, seemed pretty sweet. Cryptics, snaps, tasigur, ancestral visions, etc. Game 1 I play a few 2-drops and a splicer to test out what he's got going on. I only see one black source on board and I want to test the waters, so on his draw step I GQ his overgrown tomb. He gets a basic swamp, and I use a second GQ on it immediately. He goes and finds a forest, so that's useful information. During the course of the game I path him and GQ him again and learn that his basics are 3 island, 1 swamp, 1 forest. He doesn't get anything too crazy going, I play a slow game and rebuilt after a damnation, and eventually grind him out thanks to restoration angel. Game 2 I board in relics, extra mirran crusader, and elspeth. I find a relic early so he can't delve tasigur out and his snaps are bad. I play a steady stream of dorks but he does a good job killing them all with spot removal and a damnation for a crusader. He's working me down with a creeping tar pit and I only have a flicker wisp. He gets me to 3 with tar pits, I get him to 6 with flickerwisp while holding a restoration angel. He has double tar pit that he can activate and my draw for the last turn I had at 3 was a ghost quarter, which was my only out since I only had 4 lands at the time so I couldn't angel+path if I drew it. He goes for a kill with both tar pits, I cast angel, blinking flickerwisp to flicker away one and GQ the other. He's out of kill spells and I kill him on the backswing. Second game won by drawing the perfect out.

Finals: 1-2 against Jeskai Mentor.

We agree to prize rearranging and agree to play. He's got a nice looking fully-foiled jeskai deck that wins with Thing in the Ice and Mentor, and apparently also has at least 1 soulfire grandmaster. Game 1 I do the taxes thing by curving out perfectly and choking his mana so he can barely play 1 spell per turn while I drop threats, nothing to write home about. Game 2 I get stuck on 2 lands for a while and can't play cards in my hand while has a turn 1 grim lavamancer and he drops plenty of land. He shoots down all my 2-drops until I run out and by the time I find a 3rd land he's killed me with snapcaster mage and a combination of bolts and helixes. Game 3 I keep a 7 card hand with 1 land, but it has inspector and double relic along with 3 2-drops so I feel like I can't mulligan. The land is also a horizon canopy which ends up doing about 5 damage to me unfortunately. I think I waited too long to crack one of the relics and should have drawn a card instead of playing out a 2nd relic or inspector first, which actually would have found me a land at a decent time. I also make a bad decision about using a GQ while I was already behind that was probably the biggest punt of the day, it cost me a chance to use a flickerwisp to reset his TiTi before it flipped. I think in a long set I could beat his deck consistently, it was 3 colors with tons of spells but at the same time he was playing an absolute ton of burn and Titi and mentor are hard to grind through.

Either way I had a good day playing taxes, won $250 and we stopped and ate steak on the way home. Up until the finals I had one of those rare days where I really feel like I didn't make any real punts so I felt pretty good about it. When we arrived there were several people playing shadow decks, but when the event started they all played something else instead. There was a lot of control there too, at least 1 in the top 8 and the guy I went with was on it, along with someone else on jeskai control and the sultai control player. I think everyone was trying to out-metagame each other so no one played affinity or shadow, but I was intent on playing taxes because I enjoy the deck.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pretty cool deck from the legacy classic in Atlanta this past weekend: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=115117

this is similar to the UB Death's Shadow deck I ran at GP Vegas. Some thoughts:

Our manabases were pretty much the same, except that I had a basic island instead of the breeding pool. This guy is running a lot more green cards out of the sideboard, and grixis delver is a deck that exists without running any basics and does fine, but I have a huge aversion to just dying to blood moon. Not sure if the answer is an Island out of the board (which I am doing now with Swamp, which just feels incorrect; a concession to dying horribly to Death and Taxes all the time with other decks) or what

I was playing stifles in the maindeck to facilitate the delver non-game plan. I think thoughtseize is close enough while doing something we want to do (lose life) that it's probably correct to not play the stifles.

i like one fatal push main. the card is just too good

sylvan library is an absolute must in the sideboard. there are a lot of matchups where you struggle with your lifetotal because you have nothing to point your removal at and you've boarded out dazes (shockland, daze, shockland is extremely erotic). sylvan library solves this problem while digging for hate. the effect is so good that I am experimenting with Cruel Bargain for that same reason

i'm on a 3/3 split with death's shadow and gurmag. It's trivial to fuel your gurmags and death's shadow IS vulnerable to swords. having six huge monsters, like stifle, still facilitates the non-game plan where you punish a stumble just gack someone before they can do anything

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Long post ahead: PPTQ with Monowhite taxes trip report. Went 4-1 into top 8, then lost in the finals. Rearranged prizes so second got all the cash and first got the rptq invite though since we both wanted it. Never even got to try Elspeth but I still like her from my online testing.

List:

4x Thraben Inspector
1x Weathered Wayfarer
4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4x Leonin Arbiter
1x Serra Avenger
1x Phyrexian Revoker
4x Blade Splicer
4x Flickerwisp
2x Mirran Crusader
4x Restoration Angel

4x Aether Vial
4x Path to Exile

4x Horizon Canopy
4x Ghost Quarter
4x Tectonic Edge
1x Cavern of Souls
1x Eiganjo Castle
9x Plains

SB:
4x Relic of Progenitus
1x Grafdigger's cage
1x Mirran Crusader
2x Burrenton Forge-Tender
1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
2x Dusk//Dawn
2x Sunlance
2x Stony Silence

Cool report, Hatebears/D&T is a deck I really want to try but I have this weird hangup about the Vials even though they're used in several other decks. Also that Dusk//Dawn story was rad.

Any idea what the smoke on the street is re: Ramunap Excavator in this style of deck? Seems like you have a lot of lands worth recurring, but I seem to recall you being kind of tepid on GW versions of the deck.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Here's a question for you guys:

I'm trying to help establish a legacy scene at my LGS and it's been going quite well. Thus far, to facilitate this I've been bringing some spare decks and lending them out to people interested in the format, but dont have decks. This has been mostly cool as I know the folks at my shop well enough that I'm generally comfortable lending.

However, last night we had some new faces come out (which is awesome) who obviously had a little bit less experience handling cards and I didnt particularly recognize. The pucker factor was extremely high in lending decks (I didnt hand them anything extremely valuable; just a stompy list and Reanimator - plus everyone else was helping me keep an eye on them).

But I'm looking for a few relatively mono-colored and/or low-cost legacy decks I can put together for lending to folks I dont know as well. Oviously we've got burn; but any other suggestions? Probably fringe stuff that you wouldnt necessarily take to a larger event, but would still give people a taste of legacy.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Death and Taxes is budget relative to the rest of the format. Elves, UB Death's Shadow with shocks, mono-red prison/stompy. Depends what kind of budget you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

Death and Taxes is budget relative to the rest of the format. Elves, UB Death's Shadow with shocks, mono-red prison/stompy. Depends what kind of budget you're looking for.

The aim is to:
- Minimize risk of lending for me
- Maximize exposure to legacy while doing #1

Ideally I'd like to come up with 1-3 decks under $500 that I can put together to lend out. It looks like two of the three are probably going to be Budget Turbo Depths, and Mono Red Burn (this is just too cheap not to have around). Looking for 1 or 2 more.