Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
e- nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

CheeseSpawn posted:

I was listening to this podcast overview on The Chickenshit Club: Why the Justice Department Fails to Prosecute Executives " by Jesse Eisinger. I've read about critiques of about how ineffectiveness of Obama's DOJ/SEC before but there were some nice tidbits on how that culture fluctuates. Sounds like another one to add to the reading list.

thanks listening to it now

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rand alPaul posted:

Bad Dems continually tell me that either Wall Street did nothing illegal, or that the DoJ simply couldn't get convictions because Wall Street has too good of lawyers and it's difficult to do so why bother.

I wish I was kidding.

Obama, in a presidential mastercraft of lawyerly technicality on par with "it depends on what the meaning of 'is' is" and "my heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not" once said that "some of the worst things Wall Street did were not illegal," which is technically correct in a very narrow sense and used to expansively claim that nothing done was illegal.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Rand alPaul posted:

Bad Dems continually tell me that either Wall Street did nothing illegal, or that the DoJ simply couldn't get convictions because Wall Street has too good of lawyers and it's difficult to do so why bother.

I wish I was kidding.

I love how the title for the book was derived from Comey, years ago, calling out the lawyers with no losses as the "chickenshit club" because they went after the small fries.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Is it personal wealth if it is consolidated in some sort of endowment corporation separate from myself that I am the sole benefactor of (less management fees)?

ALL

We're not playing that dumb "well, but technically....." game anymore. Keep it up and the new 100% tax on all annual incomes above $20M will drop to $10M.

Still don't like it? Well 5/6 of those fancy homes you own in fancy places now belong to the homeless.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

CheeseSpawn posted:

I love how the title for the book was derived from Comey, years ago, calling out the lawyers with no losses as the "chickenshit club" because they went after the small fries.

That sounds like every prosecutor who is obsessed with their conviction rates.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
Also, we're gonna seize assets held overseas that are basically collecting dust and could be put to good use either as funding for public programs or a simple cash disbursement (if this, a bottom-heavy graduated scale up to households earning $500k/yr) or pay off/reimburse student loans existing since 2008. We'll be nice though. If you bring all your cash back willingly, we'll only tax it 99%.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean, there's no reason why one corporation should collect rent from such a great slice of social wealth, but that money isn't literally sitting in a vault, collecting dust, it is used to issue loans. The money realistically isn't present in any form that could be readily extracted, except for a small reserve share. The criticism isn't that companies are preventing money from being used (which is contradictory to the charge of rent seeking), it is that they usurp the right to use the product of labor from others.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

I wish I was kidding.
the obama administration even made an argument that you don't want to prosecute, because that might harm the banks and therefore economy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKSX9_wFBoQ

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Subjunctivitis posted:

Also, we're gonna seize assets held overseas that are basically collecting dust and could be put to good use either as funding for public programs or a simple cash disbursement (if this, a bottom-heavy graduated scale up to households earning $500k/yr) or pay off/reimburse student loans existing since 2008. We'll be nice though. If you bring all your cash back willingly, we'll only tax it 99%.

What about US citizens and green card holders living overseas? What is an "asset collecting dust"?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

comedyblissoption posted:

the obama administration even made an argument that you don't want to prosecute, because that might harm the banks and therefore economy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKSX9_wFBoQ

https://youtu.be/llgY3VBwTAo

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Also because bad dems are more obsessed with appeasing their horrible donor class than creating a new deal.
Also because a new deal might have dangerously nationalistic aims like making your constituents better-off.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I missed the section in the new platform where we solve racism.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Subjunctivitis posted:

ALL

We're not playing that dumb "well, but technically....." game anymore. Keep it up and the new 100% tax on all annual incomes above $20M will drop to $10M.

Still don't like it? Well 5/6 of those fancy homes you own in fancy places now belong to the homeless.

I mean even 10M is pretty generous, it sounds like a good deal to me

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

FuriousxGeorge posted:

it is very racist to be against these tax subsidies for businesses since a lot of that will go to benefitting the training of minority demographics

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it is also racist to be against schumer's proposed drug cost control of sending these drug companies a questionnaire since these policies may help bring drug prices under control which will help minorities

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It's also racist to be against slaves in the governors mansion

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/senkamalaharris/status/889557189110706178

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/889706493645393920

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

of course kamala harris is casting it as 1/6th of our economy. that lets her attack singlepayer too cause of jobs

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Neolibs are incapable of framing anything in terms that aren't market-oriented. "Public," "health," and "welfare" just aren't in their vocabulary.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Neolibs are sounding like Ferengi trying to be benevolent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

the dems are so out of touch they were deluded enough to to think their shitburger plan would excite anyone at all

it's insulting they are trying to ape the New Deal w/ their bullshit

Look, FDR got America to recover from the Great Depression by launching the largest tax credit program in history.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

FuriousxGeorge posted:

you'll be pleased to note that the dems have officially renounced idpol, the new platform contains no mention of LGBT rights lol

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
All neolibs will loving hang

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

of course kamala harris is casting it as 1/6th of our economy. that lets her attack singlepayer too cause of jobs

perhaps putting half a million workers out of a job will have political ramifications even if we ignore the economic ones which I'm happy to do?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

perhaps putting half a million workers out of a job will have political ramifications even if we ignore the economic ones which I'm happy to do?

Nothing some more training-tied tax credits can't solve.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Oh poo poo political ramification those are scary sounding words guys :prepop:

Even more scary sounding than "millions are dying needless deaths"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

white sauce posted:

All neolibs will loving hang
out in Washington together, while fixing the American economy through skills and innovation.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Frijolero posted:

You're single-handedly making this D&D with your bad data and even worse opinions.

spoiler: it's already d&d in here

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

by the same token this is why passing the 13th amendment was a big mistake

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
bring
back
coal telegram jobs

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
end mechanized farming! millions of jobs are at stake

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
America was headed down a dark path after getting rid of switchboards

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Electric lamps!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/07/25/trumps-boy-scouts-speech-broke-with-80-years-of-presidential-tradition/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.0caed7550753

WaPo once again shocked by the lack of Trump's decorum at the Boy Scout gathering

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i can't believe the president of the united states alluded to orgies on yachts in front of children

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
john rockefeller's standard oil will kill the whaling industry!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

you'll be pleased to note that the dems have officially renounced idpol, the new platform contains no mention of LGBT rights lol

Centrist compromise; not letting those pesky minorities and LBGT rights get in the way of their bold new program of giving tax credits and passing new laws to go completely unenforced!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it helps that we literally didn't let people vote until they affirmed its vailidity

• Locked thread