Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Yo that boat battle bummed me out. I guess this is how jon becomes important to dany militarily but still it sucked. I kind of liked the snakes tbh, yes they were ineffective but they had a certain charm

Edit; also, is the braavos bank going to do anything here? Iirc they are just losing a bunch of money left and right on failed insurrections and lovely debtors (lannisters)

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jay-V posted:

Yo that boat battle bummed me out. I guess this is how jon becomes important to dany militarily but still it sucked. I kind of liked the snakes tbh, yes they were ineffective but they had a certain charm

Don't troll me.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Idk maybe I just liked Oberyn so much it transferred over to them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay-V posted:

I kind of liked the snakes tbh

:stonk:

Jay-V posted:

Idk maybe I just liked Oberyn so much it transferred over to them.

They killed his brother!

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Ok but did anyone even like that guy? I'm a dirty non-book reader so unless there was something in those books to respect, he was even more ineffective than the snakes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay-V posted:

Ok but did anyone even like that guy? I'm a dirty non-book reader so unless there was something in those books to respect, he was even more ineffective than the snakes

Oberyn liked that guy! :colbert:

Also appearing ineffective isn't the same thing as being ineffective. Or else Varys or Littlefinger wouldn't be very effective. But he just didn't get any screen time to do anything.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Yeeeeah but he doesn't always have the best judgment.....

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zaphod42 posted:

Also appearing ineffective isn't the same thing as being ineffective. Or else Varys or Littlefinger wouldn't be very effective. But he just didn't get any screen time to do anything.
If your long game is so long that your enemies can make babies and then marry them to yours, maybe you need to set some milestone goals to show everyone else that you're actually doing something.

VampiricGiraffe
Feb 5, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Come on, the scene features Spear Snake getting clearly impaled by her spear, and Whip Snake getting clearly choked to death with her whip - and ends with two longish shots of people in Dornish armor, one hung with a whip and the other impaled by a spear.

While it's totally a reasonable inference to make based on how they died, I'm not sure it's such a given that a hanging corpse in the dark is hanging by a whip and not any of the other million ropes on a boat. Or that Euron's MO after winning would be to gently caress around with the corpses of the already-deceased as opposed to murdering the person who he had explicitly, repeatedly announced his intention to murder.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I just really hope the next scene with the Sand Snakes is Cersei burning them alive or something, and then everything will be wrapped up in a bow.

But I actually suspect that Ser Bronn of the Blackwater will reappear now that there's a way for him and Lena Headey to not have to be on set together.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't like Lena Headey enough to not have Bronn on screen. She needs to go away

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

A Buttery Pastry posted:

*In an otherwise chaotic scene, the camera lingers on Spear Snake showing off with her spear, Spear Snake getting impaled, Whip Snake showing off with her whip, and Whip Snake getting strangled. At the end of the scene, the camera lingers once more, on two female bodies, one impaled on the ship, another hung.*

Goons: Did they just kill Dany and Olenna??

I laughed and laughed at this post and yet here it is, actually happening a few posts later

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I laughed and laughed at this post and yet here it is, actually happening a few posts later

It's almost as bad as all of the goons wondering BUT BUT BUT THAT WASN'T NYMERIA WHAT DOES IT MEAN. When the end of the show the little after episode recap that D&D always do and one of them says THIS IS EXACTLY, SPECIFICALLY, UNEQUIVOCALLY WHAT EVERY SECOND OF THAT SCENE MEANS. SORRY WE SHOT IT POORLY, WOLVES AREN'T GOOD AT ACTING/EMOTING.
To be fair that scene was pretty poorly translated from what was probably a fairly good storyboard/idea, they must have gotten some lovely footage and that was the best thing they could edit together and blow up a CGI wolf. Like, they could have had the same start to the scene, but at night time, and Nymeria decides to sit and stay with Arya overnight, and then when Arya awakes she is gone.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

How embarrassed should I be that when I watched the wolf scene that I thought Arya's "that's not you" line was actually earnest, and that she was saying it wasn't Nymeria? I had to come on here to find out that it was a callback to season 1. I actually thought her Faceless training had meant that she'd levelled up some kind of talking to animals skill.

What with that and thinking it was Yara hanging from the bow maybe I should just watch Arrow or Dexter or something.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

Zaphod42 posted:

Euron's actor is not a good actor but he can at least chew scenery with style.

I suggest watching A Highjacking (2012). Pilou Asbaek's the cook on a Danish ship that gets highjacked by somali pirates, movie is realistic and tense + actor is awesome. Whatever the gently caress he does in the US will probably stink of poo poo like GitS or GoT but he's not bad himself.

Now is Euron badly written? Maybe. But the biggest fault of show Euron is that he was merged with Victarion (the other uncle, dumber and more fierceful, whereas Euron is more sly and vicious). Victarion is the one boarding ships while laughing like a madman, he's the craziest most badass character in the books and the reason for my avatar.

Victarion's defining traits while boarding ships is that he wears full plate armor unlike absolutely anyone else at sea that considers not sinking like a stone if they go overboard. He's the slow walking tank to the rest of his crew actually killing sailors from behind him and that fits with the maniachal laughter like a glove as he deflects blow after blow and crushes people under his weight.

That would have made for a good action scene and great characterisation. They kinda hosed it up but the scene wasnt so bad thanks to dead sand snakes.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Can't believe nobody else loved Arya's pie talk.

"I brown the butter before I bake it"
"I didn't do that"
"Oh you baked pies?"
"A couple"

gently caress, I'm dense, I completely forgot what that was in reference to at the time.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jay-V posted:

In the books he was secretly plotting to support Daenerys when she arrived, he just didn't want to openly rebel against the crown before it was time.

Elman fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 25, 2017

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Does anyone think the Dothraki are going to have major issues fighting in Westoros? I mean warm climate and flat terrain fighters...Seems like a recipe for problems. That's even just assuming their horses don't have tons of issues on their own too.
lol

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

But I actually suspect that Ser Bronn of the Blackwater will reappear now that there's a way for him and Lena Headey to not have to be on set together.

I know those two actors despise each other, but come on. It's not bad enough to affect the writing.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Funso Banjo posted:

I know those two actors despise each other, but come on. It's not bad enough to affect the writing.

Why is it exactly they hate each other?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Spuckuk posted:

Why is it exactly they hate each other?

They were loving 20 years ago and had a bad break up.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

that was some bad pus on jorah

also, lmao, none of the plot makes any kind of sense. it's complete random nonsense

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

The fact we didn't see Yara die means its not Yara. She's too major to die like that

Yara was a character for a total of two episodes or so. She's obviously not dead, but she's not some key player whose death would derail the whole show.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

She's just alive so they can rape her and torture her or whatever, it's disgusting

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vegetable posted:

She's just alive so they can rape her and torture her or whatever, it's disgusting

I'm sure the Game of Thrones producers have yet to learn the one valuable lesson that vocal internet fans have been trying to teach them about gratuitously including rape in their show. Were there any rapes last season? I can't remember.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

business hammocks posted:

I'm sure the Game of Thrones producers have yet to learn the one valuable lesson that vocal internet fans have been trying to teach them about gratuitously including rape in their show. Were there any rapes last season? I can't remember.

Zombie Mountain raped some fools, I think

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Zombie Mountain raped some fools, I think
Yeah it's implied he's going to rape the SHAMMMEEEE Nun IIRC.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Durzel posted:

How embarrassed should I be that when I watched the wolf scene that I thought Arya's "that's not you" line was actually earnest, and that she was saying it wasn't Nymeria? I had to come on here to find out that it was a callback to season 1. I actually thought her Faceless training had meant that she'd levelled up some kind of talking to animals skill.

What with that and thinking it was Yara hanging from the bow maybe I should just watch Arrow or Dexter or something.

You should only be embarrassed if you recognized it as a callback to Season 1. Then your brain would be as screwed up as D & D's.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

It was Nymeria hanging from the ship idiots

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Jay-V posted:

Edit; also, is the braavos bank going to do anything here? Iirc they are just losing a bunch of money left and right on failed insurrections and lovely debtors (lannisters)

They will just write off the loans and carry the loss forward to reduce their taxes for the next century or so.

If you are looking at Westeros and trying to pick a winner - you would bet on the White Walkers, and I don't think they have much need for gold. The only role I see anyone from Braavos playing in the future is Jaqen H'gar being Arya's guardian angel.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The last scene is gonna be Littlefinger getting crowned king of the ashes, only for the Iron Bank to show up with a large army and proclaim the Seven Kingdoms a lien until he pays off the debt accrued by his predecessors. Littlefinger ends his days being told no by a bunch of boring bankers who are completely uninterested in playing into his schemes.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Boon posted:

Just gonna say that the people adamantly opining how dumb that a fleet of relatively small, black wooden vessels might not be seen at sea at night have probably never stood watch on an actual ship at sea.

You're new to these threads hey? I recall last season had a 5-10 page derail about thermodynamics and the combustability of a Dothraki hut

EDIT: HNNNNGGGGG I just made myself remember spear chat

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

hiddenmovement posted:

You're new to these threads hey? I recall last season had a 5-10 page derail about thermodynamics and the combustability of a Dothraki hut

EDIT: HNNNNGGGGG I just made myself remember spear chat

If they would cut their hair they wouldn't start on fire so easy.

Jon Snow says learn how to throw a dragon glass spear, or zombie death is near.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The last scene is gonna be Littlefinger getting crowned king of the ashes, only for the Iron Bank to show up with a large army and proclaim the Seven Kingdoms a lien until he pays off the debt accrued by his predecessors. Littlefinger ends his days being told no by a bunch of boring bankers who are completely uninterested in playing into his schemes.

Wait, is lien an adjective? My knowledge of english is limited, but if it is my department has been sending some hilarious late notices to people.

I was under the impression that a lien was a type of security, a right to retain property either physical or financial.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Lien is a right on property, not for use, but the right to institute a legal action for possession. It is a noun. It let's the world know that the property is encumbered if legally recorded. The bank is screwed and probably you will not hear from them again. It makes no sense they would rent the cgi horsey guys for Stannis kid burner.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Isn't Littlefinger the one who got the crown into debt in the first place? He borrowed a shitload of money to fund Robert's dumb tourneys and so on and presumably expected the consequences.

A scene of the old small council would be pretty fun. Robert, OG less crazy Cersei, Renly, Stannis before Melisandre, Littlefinger, Varys, and Barristan.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dolash posted:

It was nice of them to remind us that the one snake who lived was actually Ellaria's daughter and therefore the current heir of Dorne, since I'd kind of forgotten what their deal was.

Yeah, shame she's definitely 100% dead and in a probably horrible way as well, if Cersei finds out she's Ellaria's daughter (and this being Game of Thrones, she absolutely will).

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

Lien is a right on property, not for use, but the right to institute a legal action for possession. It is a noun. It let's the world know that the property is encumbered if legally recorded. The bank is screwed and probably you will not hear from them again. It makes no sense they would rent the cgi horsey guys for Stannis kid burner.

Thank you.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Wait, is lien an adjective? My knowledge of english is limited, but if it is my department has been sending some hilarious late notices to people.

I was under the impression that a lien was a type of security, a right to retain property either physical or financial.
I meant the Seven Kingdoms would fall under a lien, though I'm pretty sure I've seen the word used as a noun (probably a short-form kinda thing) for the property itself - specifically in relation to medieval territory handed away for decades to pay off a debt. Might be mixing up words though, it's not exactly unheard of for English to have multiple variants of a word depending on when and where it absorbed it. :)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Isn't Littlefinger the one who got the crown into debt in the first place? He borrowed a shitload of money to fund Robert's dumb tourneys and so on and presumably expected the consequences.
That's why it would be funny to me if all his dreams came true, only for the bank to come in and basically make him a ceremonial figurehead while they drained the country of all its assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I meant the Seven Kingdoms would fall under a lien, though I'm pretty sure I've seen the word used as a noun (probably a short-form kinda thing) for the property itself - specifically in relation to medieval territory handed away for decades to pay off a debt. Might be mixing up words though, it's not exactly unheard of for English to have multiple variants of a word depending on when and where it absorbed it. :)

That's why it would be funny to me if all his dreams came true, only for the bank to come in and basically make him a ceremonial figurehead while they drained the country of all its assets.

Can you sell ice zombies?

• Locked thread