Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

kurrajongs posted:

i just feel so bad for the artist

I don't, she's complacent in all this poo poo, just like Lar DeSousa is complacent in all of Ryan Sohmer's bigoted poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Complicit, but yes, they are also complacent.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
One good smack in the face, and Clevin will explode into tiny pieces of pinkish gelatinous goop.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The comments are the worst

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yo, emotional labor is labor too. He did everything he could think of to help Alison, and that ended being little nice things to help easy her stress and help her concentrate on the big stuff. And he feels unappreciated because when it was the big time to say thank yous, it didn't occur to Alison simply thank him.

He's not even asking to be thanked, Alison wanted to know what was up with him so he shared his feelings. If Clevin is still coming off as needy or entilted to you, switch the gender roles abd see how that feels.

- - -

I see people feel like Clevin is being silly and/and entitled about this whole thing, but I disagree. I see this as a take on the whole notion of "girlfriend" or "wife" both in relation to superhero comics, but also in relation to hero worship in the real world, in regards to entrepreneurs and scientists and such.

Romantic significant others actually play a pretty important part in peoples lives. They so often get relegated to the role of decoration or fluff in stories or in headlines and the impact they have on the success of things get downplayed and forgotten.

Clevin sure isn't a traditional wife in this setting, and we havn't seen enough of their relationship to get a feeling of how supportive he has been, but we do know some little things.

We know that they have been together for a significat amount of time, at least several months while Allison got Valkyrie on its legs. We know that Clevin is the sort of person who throws parties to fundraise for his friends heart surgery and who walks Allison home from Brooklyn to Manhattan just to spend some more time with her without making a big deal about it. And that he is the sort of person who owns up to his feelings and talks to his friends about them and tries to figure them out even when he isn't sure how.

This sort of person, how could he have been anything but integral to Allisons emotional well being and stability throughout this stressful and exhausting time? After she has been through one roller coster of pain and self doubt after another, how could he not have been a soothing balm of calm and acceptance to her?

And that sort of thing matters so much and it gets ignored and devaulated so much.

I'm so glad he is able to vocalize his hurt on not being included.

It is such a radical thing.

- - -

Oh boyf, You adorable nerd. She's about to thank you in her own special way. *wink wink, nudge nudge*

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Clevinwife

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Kill your Clevins.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

He's not even asking to be thanked, Alison wanted to know what was up with him so he shared his feelings. If Clevin is still coming off as needy or entilted to you, switch the gender roles abd see how that feels.

"I know I really did nothing to help you on your project, but you didn't thank me in your speech. :sadfan:."

Still whiny and bitchy, whether it comes from a man or a woman.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
take a seat by the fire and i'll tell you a tale, a tale of a boy named *strums guitar* clevin

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If it were a female character, people would have complained about it being a sexist stereotype of a needy girlfriend. But because it's a male nice guy, people just can't get enough of his dreamy honesty and how brave he is to show his feelings. We in the tropes biz call it 'subverted'.

kurrajongs
Jul 25, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
it's all just so bad

kurrajongs
Jul 25, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
skeleton jelly would be a better love interest than clevin

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Yo, emotional labor

I've never laughed so hard at the opening of a sentence in my life.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

kurrajongs posted:

"Thank you for making pasta, Skeleton Jelly."

"I am makin jelly? No, I am Skelton Jelly!"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
There's just something about this incredibly weak male lead

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

I've decided to trust that they're going somewhere with this. To trust that Clevin, like the philosophy professor, is not what he seems, and that this is all leading up to something.

Because otherwise this content is really problematic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This made me laugh so much that the comic has underflowed into being good, IMO.

kurrajongs posted:

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 25, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

corn in the bible posted:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
God drat. Before this comic I thought that this was going to be him sad that there was a major portion of Allison's life (having been a superhero) that he'd never really be able to relate to, that when she and her friends started swapping old war stories, he'd always be unable to participate. And, you know, that wouldn't have been great, but it'd be understandable, at least, because that's a respectable hurdle in a relationship. But being this sad about not getting a public thank you? For having been her boyfriend for what, a month? Not long enough to have met her parents before, at least. Versus "Friends of multiple years she went through combat with" and "Other friend whose personal sacrifice was a big inspiration for starting this project". Just how self-important are you, Clevin?

If this eventually leads to Clevin revealing a lovely side and getting dumped, I'd be down with it. But hoo boy do I not have confidence that that'll happen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cat Mattress posted:

This made me laugh so much that the comic has underflowed into being good, IMO.

A damp rag on a stick would be a better love interest.
Maybe even without the stick.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

In all fairness to the horrible writer, this might be intentional commentary about white male privileged.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Galvanik posted:

In all fairness to the horrible writer, this might be intentional commentary about white male privileged.

Hah!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Oh boyf, You adorable nerd. She's about to thank you in her own special way. *wink wink, nudge nudge*

Jesus christ

Black Leaf
Nov 19, 2016

by Smythe
im clevins prilege

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Does anybody have the font this comic uses?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I love how he just keeps talking and makes it worse with every word. "You didn't thank be and I felt left out" would still be real insecure and whiny but kind of understandable. But then he has to keep going and start naming other people to ask "well what did THEY do" including the person who was her main partner for her entire superhero career.

Also that loving audible sigh at the start. The author has to be aware that he's making Clevin be passive aggressive as hell here, right?

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 25, 2017

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Having Clevin turn into a weird jerk would be so delicious, given how much the comments people fawned over him during Max's appearances.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The immense privilege of being a Clevin:

Cooking pasta
Eating iced cream in your jim-jams
Dating a lesbian
Having your leg sliced open by an invisible slasher
Being in a cool band, just enjoying life

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So she thanked her parents, her life-long crime fighting partners, the former villain turned literal martyr who saved the world but not the guy who made her pasta and tea

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

If you think about, subjecting yourself to never-ending torture to save countless lives with your organ donations is roughly equivalent to making pasta.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves and next comic will start with the strong female protagonist also taking a deep loud sigh and calling the weak male lead a simpering little manipulative bitch and will then punch him straight into the sun and telekinetically fly herself to wherever John Shkreli Galt is to get a deep dicking

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

SEXISM IS OVER

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I am Clevins all encompassing white-bread lameness

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I really like how he went from "omg I'm at a party with like 20 superheroes, and one of them is my date!!" to this giant wall of "awuuuuuu im not the center of attention :qq:" in a handful of hours

I vote she twirls him overhead by his pruney scrotum and throws him into the sky

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
"You know I didn't even notice that she left Clevin out when I read the speech the first time.

I wonder if some of the reason why Clevins support and pasta making hasn't been activly shown in the comic is in itself to illustrate how easily things like this gets forgotten. So that people wouldn't immediatly judge Allison to be an rear end in a top hat for not including him in the speech. Because also, him being a guy would make him making her pasta stand more out to the readers than if Allison was a man and Clevin a woman. People are generally more impressed when guys step up like that and take it more for granted when women do it.

I keep getting impressed by the story telling skills in this comic."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I wonder if the reason this comic is so badly written, is to illustrate how life is badly written too :shrug:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

I wonder if the reason this comic is so badly written, is to illustrate how life is badly written too :shrug:

And poorly drawn to illustrate our inner ugliness.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Zerilan posted:

And poorly drawn to illustrate our inner ugliness.

Screw you I'm sexy outside and in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Zerilan posted:

"You know I didn't even notice that she left Clevin out when I read the speech the first time.

I wonder if some of the reason why Clevins support and pasta making hasn't been activly shown in the comic is in itself to illustrate how easily things like this gets forgotten. So that people wouldn't immediatly judge Allison to be an rear end in a top hat for not including him in the speech. Because also, him being a guy would make him making her pasta stand more out to the readers than if Allison was a man and Clevin a woman. People are generally more impressed when guys step up like that and take it more for granted when women do it.

I keep getting impressed by the story telling skills in this comic."

all this time I thought Clevin was the author but it turns out that no, Clevin is his readers

• Locked thread